Next Famitsu preview (personal skills and crests)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How skills work:

In this game, Skills are in this game are an important part of the uniqueness and growth of units. Setting Skills will allow you to feel their effects in battle, and there are three types of Skills. In addition to Crests, make sure to check Personal Skills as well. Using them effectively is the key to victory.  

Types of Skills and their uses:

- Personal Skills: A skill that every unit has from the beginning, and is unique to them. You cannot swap or change them, and they have unique effects.  
- Class Skills: Skills that are unique to a class. They are only usable when a unit is in that class.  
- Ability skills: Skills that are learnt based on a unit's Ability Level. Unlike Class Skills, once they are learnt, they can be used in any class.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

With the return of Canto I'm expecting this to be the return of horse emblem.

Knights look a bit to in-depth and complex for my taste.

I guess we really aren't getting attack stance, which is lame

Class designs look great

Skill system looks great

Persona calendar is something I actively hate, so I'm disappointed there

そのターン中のみ、味方の移動力を+5する。味方が集まっていれば、複数人に効果を与えられる。
移動力が低い歩兵でも、この計略を使えばより遠くまで移動できるぞ。

"During the turn, increase the movement of your ally by +5. If allies gather, it can be effective for multiple people.
Even with low mobility infantry, you can use this scheme to move farther.
"

I don't know if google is messing up or what, because this sounds absurd.

Either way, the knights system is looking very involved, and that's definitely a plus for me. It's also confirmed that unit identity will not be as big a problem as initially believed, what's with crests, personal skills and maybe gender-specific classes(even though those are not exactly fan favorites). Also infantry is getting a potentially really strong weapon type to compensate for low movement.

Really good stuff across the board.

Edited by Cysx

1 minute ago, Cysx said:

"During the turn, increase the movement of your ally by +5. If allies gather, it can be effective for multiple people.
"

I don't know if google is messing up or what, because this sounds absurd.

That's what it says. That really is absurd. A little too absurd, maybe.

21 hours ago, The DanMan said:

>Hilda increases the damage adjacent male allies deal by 3.

So Hilda would be Fodlan's most beautiful thot lady. Because the males around her are empowered by b****s. Also, one look at her chest and I knew she's gonna wield axes.

Edited by Jayvee94

This is honestly so much to take in the customization is just well thought out here! I don't mind the calendar system since it means you gotta prepare for big battles but I hope it mean the game is longer in story length to compensate it.

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

6 minutes ago, Cysx said:

"

I don't know if google is messing up or what, because this sounds absurd

戦場ごとの使用回数に限りがあるが、アイテムなどは消費しないので出し惜しみなく使うのがよさそうだ。

I believe it says later that there is a limit on the number of times ploys (is that what we're calling them?) can be used per map, so that should hopefully keep it from being too absurd.

9 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

This is honestly so much to take in the customization is just well thought out here! I don't mind the calendar system since it means you gotta prepare for big battles but I hope it mean the game is longer in story length to compensate it.

Anything to keep away from excessive grinding. If a calendar means you actually have to use STRATEGY and plan things out in advance, I'm all for it.

Funny enough though, despite how everyone uses Persona as an example, one of my favorite examples of a game where you have to make good use of time would be Devil Survivor 2. Those who have played it should know what I'm talking about. I loved how it used its time system, and it made for great replayability.

Edited by Sentinel07

5 minutes ago, egobarrier said:

戦場ごとの使用回数に限りがあるが、アイテムなどは消費しないので出し惜しみなく使うのがよさそうだ。

I believe it says later that there is a limit on the number of times ploys (is that what we're calling them?) can be used per map, so that should hopefully keep it from being too absurd.

There is a 2 next to the name of it.
... but if you have it on several units... I mean, it could be limited for the entire team, I suppose.

Edited by Cysx

The customisation options and knights mechanic are pretty interesting. Generally, it seems pretty involved and require a lot of investment for each unit though. I’m wondering if they might sacrifice cast size for the new mechanics. Won’t be surprised if we’ve already seen like 95% of playable units already. I guess we’ll know whether we have characters outside of the school setting when it’s closer to the release date. 

Kinda disappointed that all 3 lords have the same personal skills but just with different names. Also Hilda’s personal skill is called ‘Pestering’...she’s ending up more and more like Serra lol.

Edited by zuibangde

Some lore about Crests. Anything I personally say is in {}.

Crests in characters
For some characters in this game, "Crests" lie in their bodies, passed down from their ancestors. The Crests are given much significance, as the throne of the Adrestian Empire is passed down to the bearer of the Crest of Seiros, and the presence of a Crest can greatly sway inheritance. Also, it appears that Crests can surface as talent, as one might possess great magical power or physical ability. {The wording doesn't really claim a direct connection between having a Crest and being talented, just that it seems that way. Maybe it could be superstition?}

The protagonist's Crest
A Crest resides in the protagonist, but what Crest it is is a mystery.

Church of Seiros
The Church of Seiros, rooted in the land of Fodlan, was founded by Saint Seiros. In a past conflict called the Hero Wars, they {They didn't say anything about sex or gender} defeated the "Liberation King" Nemesis, and brought peace to Fodlan. It is said that they helped greatly in founding the Adrestian Empire as well.

As time passed, the Holy Kingdom of Faergus became independent from the Adrestian Empire, and the Leicester Alliance separated from them as well. Wars arose over hegemony {honestly not 100% sure how to translate that sentence}, lasting a long time. Currently, a balance of power is being maintained, and this is largely due to the Church of Seiros.

Crests
Many nobles in this game are descendants of the "Ten Heroes of Fodlan", who participated in the Hero War, and are in the Houses with inherited Crests. Crests are passed down through bloodlines, but there is no guarantee that descendants will have a Crest, and only a select few can make use of the powers.

Crests are separated into "Major Crests", which have great power, or "Minor Crests", which are slightly less powerful. It is generally said that having more blood of one of the Heroes {essentially purer blood, this is hard to translate for me} makes it more likely to have a Major Crest, but there are times when children with Major Crests are born suddenly, so the principles are still unknown.

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

As time passed, the Holy Kingdom of Faergus became independent from the Adrestian Empire, and the Leicester Alliance separated from them as well. Wars arose over hegemony {honestly not 100% sure how to translate that sentence}, lasting a long time. Currently, a balance of power is being maintained, and this is largely due to the Church of Seiros.

So this is basically Tellius 2.0. Begnion ruled over all Beorc land much like the Adrestian Empire did before Crimea and Daein became independent.

Major and Minor Crests? So holy blood in a sense it sounds like.

Edited by Sentinel07

7 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The Church of Seiros, rooted in the land of Fodlan, was founded by Saint Seiros. In a past conflict called the Hero Wars, they {They didn't say anything about sex or gender} defeated the "Liberation King" Nemesis, and brought peace to Fodlan.

Is it safe to assume that this is the conflict depicted in the reveal trailer?

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

Canto is back? FINALLY! I never got why they removed that in the first place.

The question now is, is it the Canto from the Tellius and Jugdral sagas that allowed you to move again after attacking, or is it the same as in the GBA games, where you could perform a second move after several other actions, but not attacking? Though personally, with Canto tending to make cavalry too good, I'd rather it not have been a thing.

2 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Is it safe to assume that this is the conflict depicted in the reveal trailer?

Maybe...?

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The question now is, is it the Canto from the Tellius and Jugdral sagas that allowed you to move again after attacking, or is it the same as in the GBA games, where you could perform a second move after several other actions, but not attacking? Though personally, with Canto tending to make cavalry too good, I'd rather it not have been a thing.

From the text, it seems to be the former.

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Wars arose over hegemony {honestly not 100% sure how to translate that sentence}, lasting a long time.

I'd just go with "They fought for supremacy," personally.

9 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It is generally said that having more blood of one of the Heroes {essentially purer blood, this is hard to translate for me} makes it more likely to have a Major Crest,

Considering they use 濃, I'd guess you're right that pure/concentrated/undiluted is what they're going for. Probably not unlike pairing Ayra with Chulainn (I will never get used to these English names) to get major holy blood on her kids in Genealogy.

2 minutes ago, egobarrier said:

I'd just go with "They fought for supremacy," personally.

Hmm, "supremacy" sounds good. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, egobarrier said:

Considering they use 濃, I'd guess you're right that pure/concentrated/undiluted is what they're going for. Probably not unlike pairing Ayra with Chulainn (I will never get used to these English names) to get major holy blood on her kids in Genealogy.

I found it hard to use the word "pure" without translating the sentence in a way that might be speculation, so I just put it as a note instead.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Church of Seiros
The Church of Seiros, rooted in the land of Fodlan, was founded by Saint Seiros. In a past conflict called the Hero Wars, they {They didn't say anything about sex or gender} defeated the "Liberation King" Nemesis, and brought peace to Fodlan.

I think we might've found Byleth's heritage, and perhaps also the crux of what the church is covering up.

I'm going to guess it was the old man with the chainsword in the cutscene.

Edited by Thane

people have probably already brought it all up recently, but after parsing through the article with google translate this is what i could find

1. class divides by gender are a thing to note again, and im not particularly a fan of this especially in a game thats trying to set itself up as more in depth and open in terms of unit customization. that said, so long as they provide alternatives that can fulfill the same needs or aesthetics as the mono gendered classes for the opposite gendered classes then i suppose i can accept it in this case. im still annoyed though - -..... the classes in case your wondering that the article mentions seem to be a fist fighter class and the dark mage of all things so im gonna hope for/assume that they have witches as a thing and like a female kungfu class?

2. gauntlets do indeed have a brave effect but are not unsurprisingly locked to foot bound classes only. definitely interested in seeing how it’ll interact with gameplay once i get my hands on the game.

3. hidden talents. apparently if a units got a star or some sort of indicator next to one of the weapon skills in the learning screen (you know, the screen they showed that was for teaching scrubs how to ride horses and swing swords better) that’s a hidden talent for the unit meaning if you put the effort into teaching them that skill they’ll be hell of a lot better at it. upon closer inspection it looks like if your student has stars beside a certain weapon skill and you fill it all the way up, the student now starts receiving double the weapon exp for that skill.

4. school activities, or to meme here SOCIAL ACTIVITY!! basically force your students to participate in school projects i guess as part of a motivation system/learning thing? im not entirely clear on it but it basically looks like forcing people to do stuff. speaking of motivation though... upon closer inspection its kinda like the support system but your designating students to go pull weeds and thus build trust soo... maybe its how you grind supports? or their the supports themselves? idk, force children to perform manual labour and watch them grow closer like some sort of weirdo.

5. if they aint motivated they probably aint gonna do as well. motivation being the... motivation i guess to incentive players to participate in the social activity aspect of things. basically, if you interact and keep your students happy they’ll be more likely to learn what your trying to teach them like riding horses

6. personal skills, and boy are they as... boring as fates personal skills were - -. the main house lords get a flat exp multiplier (a 1.2 multiplier...) each and a lot of the other personal skills are in the vein of ‘plus 5 damage when alone’ or ‘plus 5 hit when standing near boys’ stuff like that. hopefully crests will provide more interesting effects? idk im just kinda tired of skills in main series titles being so underwhelming in fire emblem these days, once upon a time having vantage and wrath was actually really fucking scary. now bllppppthhtthhhhh!... well hopefully it wont be like that this time with other skills. oh yeah, class skills are a thing as always.

7. squads and formations. they do indeed seem to provide some pretty strong effects form what i can tell though i could be missing out on what they actually do through the broken english. what i can parse anyways, you can buy squads like weapons and equip them if you have a high enough rank, the difference being that squads actually level up themselves depending on how they do. squads provide stat boosts when equipped but can also decrease certain stats so a cost benifit situation there and you have to buy more people for a squad if you run out/low on them, that said the article guarantees that buying a new squad is expensive but replacing them is cheap which i guess means dont let your squads run out and keep em topped out? idk, the more interesting bit is the sleights or whatever their called. depending on the formation/squad or whatever you can essentially pull off a super attack such as attacking multiple enemies at once or even more criminally insane granting multiple allies a +5 to movement for a turn.

8. remember old professor dude from the trailer? hes apparently going to be obsessed with the crests in some fashion from what i gather which just endears him to me even more. he will be my best friend with his stupid monocle.

9. pony tail blue lions guy, from his personal skill being called ‘lone wolf’ im gonna guess that hes the navarre esque character of the game. glad to see the tropes still in place even with a game that seems to be trying to be as different as possible.

10. calendars! 12 month calendar, each month is apparently a ‘chapter’ meaning if it follows standard fe game length its probably gonna be about 2 and a 1/3 in game years ish? 

11. really forcing the school stuff since apparently you have a teaching rank that determines how many ‘actions’ you can take and thus the more you interact with your students the more you’ll be able to do per in game week

Liberation king nemesis. 

Good title, bad guy name. Really sounds like the predictable church corruption.  That said if an old ugly man with a scary face is the good guy and the cute girl with church vibes is the villain, I’m excited. 

So so far my biggest worry is probably th Calendar  

53 minutes ago, NobodiePichu said:

6. personal skills, and boy are they as... boring as fates personal skills were - -. the main house lords get a flat exp multiplier (a 1.2 multiplier...) each and a lot of the other personal skills are in the vein of ‘plus 5 damage when alone’ or ‘plus 5 hit when standing near boys’ stuff like that. hopefully crests will provide more interesting effects? idk im just kinda tired of skills in main series titles being so underwhelming in fire emblem these days, once upon a time having vantage and wrath was actually really fucking scary. now bllppppthhtthhhhh!... well hopefully it wont be like that this time with other skills. oh yeah, class skills are a thing as always.

Personally, I'd much rather have what we have thus far personal skill wise over crap like +4 damage and +20 crit against female units or using rally to heal only 10% of the HP of units within two spaces if their HP was lower than the user.

Edited by Shadow Mir