Next Famitsu preview (personal skills and crests)

So, wait, both Dark Mage and Fist Fighter (okay, I'm calling that "Brawler" from here on out) are male only? What the heck do the women get? Pegasus Knight I guess.

Anyway:

y_5cd5289269bf3.jpg

Hanneman.

A scholar and professor [at the monastery] who researches the power of the Crests. When it comes to matters regarding the Crests, he becomes excited [or heated, frenzied, etc. I'll go with the less extreme].

I would tranlate Hilda's but I'm super unsure of it. It sounds so...odd so I must've overlooked something.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Hilda

[Personal skill] Pestering

Oh no.

It's Serra.

1 hour ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Church of Seiros
The Church of Seiros, rooted in the land of Fodlan, was founded by Saint Seiros. In a past conflict called the Hero Wars, they {They didn't say anything about sex or gender} defeated the "Liberation King" Nemesis, and brought peace to Fodlan. It is said that they helped greatly in founding the Adrestian Empire as well.

As time passed, the Holy Kingdom of Faergus became independent from the Adrestian Empire, and the Leicester Alliance separated from them as well. Wars arose over hegemony {honestly not 100% sure how to translate that sentence}, lasting a long time. Currently, a balance of power is being maintained, and this is largely due to the Church of Seiros.

Crests
Many nobles in this game are descendants of the "Ten Heroes of Fodlan", who participated in the Hero War, and are in the Houses with inherited Crests. Crests are passed down through bloodlines, but there is no guarantee that descendants will have a Crest, and only a select few can make use of the powers.

Crests are separated into "Major Crests", which have great power, or "Minor Crests", which are slightly less powerful. It is generally said that having more blood of one of the Heroes {essentially purer blood, this is hard to translate for me} makes it more likely to have a Major Crest, but there are times when children with Major Crests are born suddenly, so the principles are still unknown.

Honestly, I really hope the fact that Nemesis is referred to as a "Liberation King" is a sign of a morally gray conflict. Awakening and Fates were incredibly bad in this regard, and I can only hope the story telling in 3H improves. We're already getting far better world building than anything we saw on the 3DS, so hopefully the pattern keeps up

Also they might as well literally rename "Crests" to "Holy Blood" and almost nothing would be different, holy-. The only real difference is that the boons they translate seem to differ. As far as I can tell, crests allow access to additional skills they can use in combat instead of contributing to growths? Part of me can't help but wonder if this is some sort of testing ground to see how well a Holy Blood system would work in a modern FE. FE4 Echoes on the horizon?

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

So, wait, both Dark Mage and Fist Fighter (okay, I'm calling that "Brawler" from here on out) are male only? What the heck do the women get? Pegasus Knight I guess.

Anyway:

Hanneman.

A scholar and professor [at the monastery] who researches the power of the Crests. When it comes to matters regarding the Crests, he becomes excited [or heated, frenzied, etc. I'll go with the less extreme].

I would tranlate Hilda's but I'm super unsure of it. It sounds so...odd so I must've overlooked something.

Maybe women will get Kick Fighter.

Oh, nice, I missed those captions. Hilda's is "The only daughter of a Dukedom, and a spoiled young lady. Enjoys fashionable and fancy things."

6 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

Also they might as well literally rename "Crests" to "Holy Blood" and almost nothing would be different, holy-. The only real difference is that the boons they translate seem to differ. As far as I can tell, crests allow access to additional skills they can use in combat instead of contributing to growths? Part of me can't help but wonder if this is some sort of testing ground to see how well a Holy Blood system would work in a modern FE. FE4 Echoes on the horizon?

The main difference is that Crests might not manifest even if you have the bloodline, I think?

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Maybe women will get Kick Fighter.

Oh, nice, I missed those captions. Hilda's is "The only daughter of a Dukedom, and a spoiled young lady. Enjoys fashionable and fancy things."

Chun Li confirmed.

Right, that makes more sense because I looked up かなもの and got "ironware", and then there was a picture of her on the second page with an axe so I was like "wait, is this right or what?"

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Chun Li confirmed.

Right, that makes more sense because I looked up かなもの and got "ironware", and then there was a picture of her on the second page with an axe so I was like "wait, is this right or what?"

Lol oof.

華やか means "fancy" etc., and the な after it is like a modifier telling you it's modifying the upcoming object, which in this sentence is もの (things).

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Lol oof.

華やか means "fancy" etc., and the な after it is like a modifier telling you it's modifying the upcoming object, which in this sentence is もの (things).

Right? But I also recognize the kanji itself as "flowers", so you know, I thought she liked "nice clothes, flowers, and ironware". 

This is why you use space between words, Japan.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The main difference is that Crests might not manifest even if you have the bloodline, I think?

Hmm, so a hybrid of Awakening's brands and FE4's holy blood then? Sounds interesting. Hopefully they actually implement the whole major/minor crest deal properly into the story. From not all major houses having crests, to crests being major or minor, to crests not even being a guaranteed inheritance, there are a lot of factors in Fodlan that can greatly affect the power dynamics within each country. Honestly, the more I theorize, the more 3H's story sounds like an FE4 2.0.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

Right? But I also recognize the kanji itself as "flowers", so you know, I thought she liked "nice clothes, flowers, and ironware". 

This is why you use space between words, Japan.

spaces are for baka gaijin noob scrub

But yeah I remember getting confused as fuck for a long time until I finally learnt.

1 minute ago, SageOfAnys said:

Hmm, so a hybrid of Awakening's brands and FE4's holy blood then? Sounds interesting. Hopefully they actually implement the whole major/minor crest deal properly into the story. From not all major houses having crests, to crests being major or minor, to crests not even being a guaranteed inheritance, there are a lot of factors in Fodlan that can greatly affect the power dynamics within each country. Honestly, the more I theorize, the more 3H's story sounds like an FE4 2.0.

I guess it's not quite Awakening Brands, since even if your Brand doesn't manifest in Awakening you're still royalty, and even if it manifests it doesn't really give you more power.

I'm thinking that since Edelgard's Crest is a minor, there might be a Major Seiros that crops up in the story, which means Edelgard might have trouble taking the throne.

37 minutes ago, Thane said:

Anyway:

y_5cd5289269bf3.jpg

Hanneman.

That mustache is perfect, 776/10, would whale for in Heroes.

46 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I'd much rather have what we have thus far personal skill wise over crap like +4 damage and +20 crit against female units or using rally to heal only 10% of the HP of units within two spaces if their HP was lower than the user.

fair, and i suppose it'd be a bit difficult to come up with original fun and balanced skills for every character in an average fire emblem game. it just feels like they could have done a bit more then just +4 def if no action taken.

So, the paired student activities seem to be providing not only support bonuses, gold, and some sort of material resources, but also function as another source of rank training. Also looks like Petra has high flight proficiency (coolest Peg Knight ever?) and little ol' Bernadetta has good... armor proficiency?

Also, in one of the final training screens, Dorothea's training goal seems to be to reach the "Warlock" class.

Edited by Radnar

29 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

i believe that holy blood does manifest a brand marking as well, since lief mentions it at one point during... something? so the crests are basically just the holy blood system i guess?

Motivation

生徒の才能をより伸ばすには、その生徒のやる気の高さをキープする必要がある。やる気は主人公と交流することで上がるほか、戦闘での活躍でも上昇。生徒のやる気を高めることも、優秀な教師にとっては必要不可欠なのだ。

To raise your students' abilities, it's essential to keep their motivation high. Motivation rises by interacting with the avatar or through fighting and other activities. For any high-quality teacher, raising motivation is essential. 

生徒と交流すると、質問を投げかけられることも。悩みに対して、スマートかつ最適なアドバイスをしよう。大人の経験値の見せどころだ。

When interacting with students, they may ask some questions. Give them the best advice possible to ease their worries. It's a chance to show off all your wisdom and worldly experiences. [I think it literally says "a chance to show your adult experiences" and I'm not about to translate it like that]

l_5cd52e0e6f224.jpg

Edit:

"Sometimes a cute, regular girl has more appeal than a woman of unparalleled beauty, right? Even in the case of nobles there are probably those who prefer viscounts to dukes. Why do you think that is, Instructor?"

1) It's hard to go after someone of a higher station

2) The things people value change over time [this could perhaps also be "all fads go out of style", meaning that Dorothea's observation of people marrying "downwards" is just a trend, which would probably be the bad choice]

3) They get tired of eating high class food every day

Thanks NekoKnight for doing all the heavy lifting the help!

Motivation seems to be what you use to learn new skills. The smiley face in the corner indicates the level of motivation.

Edited by Thane

I translated everything about the school mode.

Learning the skills to survive another day

Gameplay in this game is separated into Combat parts and Officer's Academy parts. During the Officer's Academy parts, one can interact with students, and teach students to improve their abilities. Check your calendar and plan out your days.

(first picture) Game flow:
Weekdays: Education (Individual instruction/Auto instruction/Group task/Setting goals) -> Weekends: Free day (Stroll/Short training/Rest/Sortie/Tests) -> Finals: Challenge sortie (Combat part) -> Next season

(Other pictures depict options and events, such as the Shop and aforementioned activities. Second picture (6/22) is Edelgard's birthday, and an event called "Mirage Fish Appears". Third picture (6/8) has "Magical Power Fluctuation", "Earth's Blessing" {same Japanese name as Solid-Earth Balm from Heroes}, "Sweet Flavours Boost Week", and "Choir Festival". Fourth picture (6/30) has "Helping with the requisition of Caspaal Castle" {A Combat part, I presume}.)

Fodlan's Calendar

In the land of Fodlan, they have 12 seasons (months) in a year, much like our world. One season is one chapter in the story, and by going through the weekdays and weekends, you'll have to complete the challenge at the end of the season to progress.

Learning to improve abilities

Student's "Abilities", which is their knowledge, can be improved through education. Education can be done automatically, but by adapting to each student's characteristics, you can raise your students in your own way. To go up against your enemies, who get progressively stronger every chapter, the bond between the protagonist and their students is crucial. Get closer to your students, and encourage them in their studies.

(Nothing much going on in the first picture. The second picture shows Dimitri's Abilities. The blue arrows indicate that he is good at that "subject", the one highlighted being Swords. By learning, he will get +4 to Swordplay at base, another +2 points from being adept at it, and another +2 from "Mentor Bonus". Below, he has a Goal: "Train Lances and Leadership".)

Caption for second picture:
"Instruction Energy" (the green gauge and the number at the top): Shows how many students one can teach in a week. Raising one's Instruction level will raise that number.

Motivation (the bar with a face next to it): The higher a student's Motivation, the more times they can receive Individual Instruction, and thus grow more.

(Dimitri in the third picture: "I shall use this as encouragement from now on.")

Instruction Level and Energy

Aside from Instruction Energy, there are Energy limits for Strolling and Sortieing as well. By raising the protagonist's Instruction level, all of these Energies will increase, and you can perform more actions in one week.

(In the first picture, Mercedes: "Haha, I'm happy to hear that. I'll make you some candy too next time, alright, teacher?" Second picture shows "The three of you gained increased Support value than usual!" {Awkward, sorry, but from the wording this seems to be an increase in a rate than a static value} and "The two you invited have higher Motivation than usual!" Next up are "Instruction Level Up!", "Strolling Energy increased!" "The amount of Activity Funds you are budgeted has increased!")

Raising your students' Motivation

In order to make full use of your students' talents, you must keep their Motivation high. Motivation increases by speaking to the protagonist, as well as performing well in battle, among other things. Raising your students' motivation is a cornerstone of being a good teacher.

(Dorothea: "I have a question" "Instead of peerless beauties, boys tend to go for girls that are just plainly cute. Even for nobles, they'd go for viscounts instead of dukes, or something. Why do you think that is, teacher?"

Responses: 1) It's hard to reach out to someone better than you 2) It's all just about trends 3) People get bored of eating high-end cuisine every day)

Caption: By interacting with students, you will get asked questions too. To dispel their worries, give them smart and useful advice. Show them the experience of an adult. {good joke}

(Dorothea: "As expected of my teacher!" Motivation Up)

(Lorenz: "I have something I want to ask you" "For some reason it seems all the girls are really cold towards me. I wonder if they think I'm a flower on the peak, out of their reach? Well... In my case, I'd be the rose on the peak, right?"

Responses: 1) How about telling a joke to lighten the mood 2) Try smiling at them funny 3) It's part of being the rose on the peak

Lorenz: "I'm satisfied with that" Motivation Up, Instruction Level Up, Strolling, Instruction Energy Increased, funds increase again)

Improving with Individual Instruction

With Individual Instruction, one can raise a student's specific Ability. Raising Ability Levels can allow a student to learn new Ability Skills, as well as equip better weapons. Changing classes doesn't really impact the kind of weapons one can equip, so one can pick a main weapon and focus on improving that too.

(Dedue: "Thank you for teaching me"
Hubert: "...It seems many difficulties lie ahead"
Choices: 1) Scold 2) Comfort
Motivation Up
Hubert: "I solemnly accept"
Dedue: "I did it"
Choice: Praise
Motivation Up
Dedue: "It's not something worthy of praise")

Caption: There are four possible results for Instruction, and affect the amount of EXP gained. Depending on the result and how you scold or encourage them, their Motivation can shift.

(Hubert: "Nothing to worry about"
Choice: Praise
Motivation Up
Hubert: "Heheh... No need to butter me up")

(Dedue has Lances highlighted, and he's good at the subject, but he's also bad at Faith, which gives him -2 points when training it. His Goal is to "Train Lances and Armor".)

Caption: Students have their strengths and weaknesses. It's important to pay attention to all of these.

Training on their own by setting Goals!

In addition to Individual Instruction, "Setting Goals" allows you to pick up to two Abilities, and students will have those two Abilities raised every week. If they raise their Abilities and pass Tests, they can change into many classes. Change their goals according to what class you want your students to be.

(Linhardt: "I've decided. I want to study "Reason". When I end up needing to attack no matter what, being able to do so without a weapon would be nice. I want to increase my options by learning magic."

Do you want to change the goal? Train "Reason" and "Faith" -> Train "Reason" and aim for a magic-wielding class

Linhardt's goal has been changed.)

(Casval: "If you're a real man, you'd wanna send enemies packing with a big swing of an axe! I'll train my "Axe Skills", and become a Warrior!"

Do you want to change goals? Train "Melee" and "Faith" -> Train "Axe Skills" and aim for Warrior

Casval's goal has been changed)

Caption: Students might have their own ideas for goals too. Whether or not they're accepted is up to the protagonist.

(These pictures with the goals mostly speak for themselves.)

Caption: By combining Individual Instruction to increase Abilities, shoot for becoming an expert. Or raise multiple Abilities to become a jack-of-all-trades.

Deepen bonds with Group Tasks

Every week, students can form pairs and be given group tasks. Upon completion, their Abilities will grow depending on the task performed, and the pair will improve their Support level with each other. Also, depending on the success rate of the task, rewards can be received as well. If students get even closer, perhaps they can perform even better?

(Task: [Weeding] Help weed the grass at the Monastery / Raises Armor Ability
Support level (nothing?) Predicted result 2 stars

Bernadetta: "L-let's get along, okay")

Caption: Group tasks can be maintaining the stables, weeding, or Air Guard Duty. Depending on the students' compatibility or how good they are at the job, the result can change.

(Dorothea: "I'll report our results"
The two increased their Support level 500G was obtained Forging Stone x3 was obtained)

Caption: Increasing Support levels seems to have merit for both parties. More on that in future reports.

(Edelgard: "Petra, we can report positively to the teacher. This is the result of our cooperation." Same gist as the last set of pictures, but more gold and Forging Stones.)

Talent Awakening

For Abilities that students are bad at, there is a symbol with three stars. By doing Individual Instruction a certain number of times, the student's talent can be awakened! They will become adept at that Ability, and can learn new skills. By tackling tough subjects, you can achieve further growth.

(Same deal as before, except there's also a "Saint Seslin Statue" that is giving a +1 bonus in the menu. Dorothea's goal is "If I can become a Warlock...")

Caption: The three-star symbol will be empty at first, but through Individual Instruction they will eventually light up. When you reach three stars, their talent will awaken. Helping students overcome their weaknesses is the key to being a good teacher!? Even if they don't grow at first, awakening their talent should turn them into a great unit. Maybe it's like that in real life too...?

(Talent Awakened, Dorothea is now good at "Faith", Learnt skill "White Magic Avo +20"
Dorothea: "Looks like I learnt something new")

(Nothing much new going in Hubert's pictures, his goal is training Lances and Reason, and he awakened talent in Lances. Learnt skill "Ice Lance".
Hubert: "This seems useful")

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

10 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

*Snippety snip*

Thanks a lot for all your work, my friend! 

Although I feel like I should also mention briefly that I know what a な adjective is

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Task: [Weeding] Help weed the grass as the Monastery / Raises Armor Ability

Damn, I see they've uncovered my secret heavy armor training routine.

12 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Fodlan's Calendar

In the land of Fodlan, they have 12 seasons (months) in a year, much like our world. One season is one chapter in the story, and by going through the weekdays and weekends, you'll have to complete the challenge at the end of the season to progress.

I really like the idea of each month being a chapter, although I do hope this game won't just be 12 chapters...I want more.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

Although I feel like I should also mention briefly that I know what a な adjective is

Damn, I see they've uncovered my secret heavy armor training routine.

It's okay I fuck up a lot too

Weeding sucks man. You get better thighs though with all that squatting. Maybe. Also it seems you've caught my typo.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

6 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

I really like the idea of each month being a chapter, although I do hope this game won't just be 12 chapters...I want more.

I'm kind of on the fence. It's always up to execution, of course, but does this mean our villains will wait patiently as the students prepare for their finals? I'm a bit worried about the story progression being stilted.

5 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's okay I fuck up a lot too

I'll believe it when I see it. Oh well, at least the Dorothea and what I had on Lorenz' question were correct so that's nice. 

So Edelgard has a minor Crest, and they've made a deal out of saying she's the heir apparent rather than just "heir". I do wonder what'll happen if some bloke shows up with a major Crest, as it seems to be an important part of the Adrestian Empire's successions. 

Didn't think the Crests would be on the inside either. Maybe the real Crests were the friends we made along the way. And I'll once again predict Byleth being the descendant of the Liberation King, who's the old man in (what I presume is) the war flashback.

Edited by Thane

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Oh well, at least the Dorothea and what I had on Lorenz' question were correct so that's nice. 

So Edelgard has a minor Crest, and they've made a deal out of saying she's the heir apparent rather than just "heir". I do wonder what'll happen if some bloke shows up with a major Crest.

I've already fucked up at least thrice with the bios.

It's Micaiah all over again.

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

Ditto. I typically stay silent but it doesn't go unappreciated.

Same goes for you, VincentASM, if you're around. Probably pretty busy at the moment.

While some classes appear to be gender locked I doubt they'll be as restrictive with it due to the diversity of the class system, for example, we've seen Leonie as a female Warrior and Dorothea as a monk so I'm sure classes like Dark Mage and Brawler will have alternatives even if some units can't achieve them.

Yeah, considering anyone can use any weapon, classes are more about the class exclusive skills which can only be used while in the class. While the Dark Mage and Brawler are male exclusive, the Mage and Brigand have the same weapon specialties so they’re probably gonna be similar classes, just a slightly different skill set. The most restrictive thing I’ve seen so far is just that you can’t punch on a mount, which makes sense logically.