Which old school console/PC do you prefer?

Sub Zero

Which old fashioned console do you prefer? Ranging to the Atari to the PS1. Ta da, fixed it. Thanks for the witty feedback guys. :3

I prefer the MS-DOS, I grew up playing on that shit. 

Edited by Joshii

58 minutes ago, eclipse said:

> console
> MS-DOS

Uhhh. . .I mean, it's not a bad topic, but I have no idea how to answer this.

What really got me was "old fashioned" and "Xbox"

I grew up on the gamecube, and I don't mean PoR, I mean Zelda Twilight Princess, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Tennis, and Double Dash.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

> console
> MS-DOS

Uhhh. . .I mean, it's not a bad topic, but I have no idea how to answer this.

Console and PC. I should've specified. Basically anything that can play actual video games counts.

1 hour ago, Johann said:

What really got me was "old fashioned" and "Xbox"

Well in all fairness, Xbox came out over a decade and a half ago, and 90's systems were considered retro or "old-fashioned" even a decade thence, in the 2000's. This coming from a 90's kid whose first Nintendo console was a Wii. ':)

Let me tell you; Game Boy, MS-DOS, and Windows 3.1/95/98 were my childhood. Ohhhh so much. I still have a cooler chock full of Game Boy games (no idea if they still work though...). Meanwhile, DOS and early Windows are what defined PC gaming for me for a very long time. Wolfenstein 3D (yes, I played an M-rated game as a little kid...), 7UP Spot, Lemmings, and more on the DOS side; Microsoft Arcade Pack, ports of classic Sonic games, and a bunch of surprisingly fun edutainment titles (Jumpstart, Super Solvers, etc.) on the early Windows side. It was glorious. GLORIOUS, I tell you! Sound Blaster 16 is music to my ears. ^_^

What's more, in recent years, despite not previously being interested in emulators, I found myself using DOSBox to relive those glory days of DOS and Windows 3.1, whilst also successfully finding disc images of Windows 95 games from my youth (such as the Sonic ports, though not without some help. And I know, legal grey area and all that) and actually getting them to run natively on this modern Windows 10 system. It's pretty awesome. I'm always happy to go into detail or ask questions about using DOSBox for those who are curious or in need of help (not that I know how every single feature works, mind you).

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

I never had a PC-Engine (Japan)/TurboGrafx-16(USA), it was only available in some countries in Europe. But after I got to learn about it I think it was so good in its times. Just the marketing had been bad and it was released to late in the USA, in Japan it was quite popular. When I look at the YS openings on it I was mindblown. Really a shame. 

This is a good example it was capable of. PC-Engine itself was released 1987 in Japan and 1989 in USA, which was sadly to late in USA, because SNES and Sega Genesis have been already on their ways. 

YS 1 has been released in 1989 on PC-Engine in japan and is a good example. Don't forget that TurboGrafx-16 is an 8-bit console. From the sound it was beyond NES and Mastersystem.

Spoiler

__

Personally I really got into gaming with SNES though and still do not want to miss it. 

Edited by Stroud

I don't know if counts but..I grew up with a Gamecube and a ''NES'' (it's actually one of those pirate consoles, but I loved it anyway) and, later, a PS2.

Other than Mario, I don't really remember much of the games I used to play this time. (I do remember that my first RPG was on the NES, but I was too dumb to read anything besides ''START'')

PS2, on the other hand, I remember the games, but most of them were pretty obscure. Also, Ratatouille was my first game. I don't regret it.

PS2, Gamecube, N64, and SNES.

At least, judging from the libraries I have.  Had tons of PS2 games (still do, actually, although I recently got rid of the one TV I had left that had composite inputs), lots of Gamecube games, a decent collection of SNES games, and a moderate N64 library.

Had a Gameboy Advance that I'd play the Zelda: Oracle games, the Mario 2 port (the one where the characters always make noises when they do virtually anything), and for some odd reason a Little Nicky video game adaptation that was hard as dicks.

I played on Windows XP a lot, but it was only really, like, two games; the Sims 1 and the Sims 2.  That said, I really loved the Sims 1.  And when the Sims 2 came out and I tried it out for the first time, I was absolutely blown away.  Like, holy shit, you can actually change how the sims' faces looks separately from the hair.  The Sims games were games I sunk hundreds - maybe even thousands - of hours into, so that's the only reason I'd mention Windows XP as a favorite gaming platform, it being the primary platform that I played those games on.

On the console side, I would say N64. I was mostly a pure Nintendo kid, only getting the original Xbox and Xbox 360 as "hand-me-downs" years later after their owners tired of them. I also never really got into Playstation, although I had friends who had them and I played some over there.

I loved my N64. Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Goldeneye 007... There were plenty of awesome game titles on the N64. Even years later I was playing it, specifically picking up a cartridge of Perfect Dark and messing around with that during the Wii/Wii U era of gaming.
- - - - -
On the PC side, I guess I have fond memories of Windows 95. When I wasn't playing Nintendo games, I would be playing and messing around with Warcraft 2. I loved making my own maps and coming up with my own storylines. I think I beat the original campaigns, but never got around to beating the expansion campaigns. The 2nd map of the Alliance EX campaign had plenty of Dragons to deal with and I never really managed to handle it at the time. The Orc EX campaign I got farther, but I think I just stopped playing at some point.

Years later Warcraft 3 would come to dominate my life as I played Custom Games (Windows XP I think), but then WoW Cataclysm came out and I indirectly discovered the massive world of PC gaming through the late TotalBiscuit and Steam.

The Gameboy and later Gameboy color that required half the batteries at only two.

I'm having the hardest time convincing today's kids that the gameboy was portable. It was! Fit just fine in our boy shorts.

Edited by Glennstavos

n64. I did start collecting for lots of others, but it was the only thing I had for years and to this dday genres I like tend to be n64 genres.

PS2. I still kind of want another today, especially to play the oodles of games I never managed to have as a kid (considering I traded in everything for my PS2 and some DS stuff to get a 3DS back in the day. Closer to when it launched. Would it have been more worth it to wait until later? Maybe.), and others I have heard of along the way, like the Sly Cooper trilogy. Any other games worth getting for the PS2 not available o the PS3/4?

Also, considering how PS1s and such were old even a decade ago, I guess we can consider the DS as old, too. Though, the access to all the handheld games might be best done through keeping my New 3DS XL and getting a GBA SP someday.

21 hours ago, Joshii said:

Console and PC. I should've specified. Basically anything that can play actual video games counts.

Kids.  These.  Days! :P:

I remember the old Apple computers my school had - required a disk to boot (that might've been my dad's computer, too), and another to play Oregon Trail.  Still loved 'em.

Edited by eclipse

Ha, I remember hating the old Apple computers when I was younger, I don't know why, probably because I was such a MS DOS fanboy back in the day. I remember having DOS computers in my school and playing The Oregon Trail, Cross Country Canada, Elder Scrolls Arena/Daggerfall, Lemmings and Fallout 1 and 2. I had such a laid back Social Studies teacher. The early 2000's were great indeed! :P