Do you think Three Houses gets censored for the West?

On 5/16/2019 at 5:48 PM, Slumber said:

That's never been an issue before.

Crimea is a real(Pretty geopolitically important) place, yet it's one of the most important countries in Tellius. Bern is also a major city in Switzerland.

Not just that, but there was a Crimean War, and one of the most enduring parts of it in popular memory is the Charge of the Light Brigade.  Anyone else seeing parallels to Tellius (cough, Dawn Brigade cough)?

As for censorship, I am surprised how many people think there will be none/it will be minimal.  I suppose it is a fine line how much is censorship and how much is cultural adaptation, but I forsee a fair amount of text/dialogue changes if nothing else (likely toning down things that might seem more distasteful to a Western than a Japanese audience - supports, certain character personalities, any mechanics that resemble skinship, etc.).  

6 minutes ago, DystopianAlphaOmega said:

Not just that, but there was a Crimean War, and one of the most enduring parts of it in popular memory is the Charge of the Light Brigade.  Anyone else seeing parallels to Tellius (cough, Dawn Brigade cough)?

As for censorship, I am surprised how many people think there will be none/it will be minimal.  I suppose it is a fine line how much is censorship and how much is cultural adaptation, but I forsee a fair amount of text/dialogue changes if nothing else (likely toning down things that might seem more distasteful to a Western than a Japanese audience - supports, certain character personalities, any mechanics that resemble skinship, etc.).  

Text changes don't necessarily mean censorship. Of course there will be at least some differences, because there might be things in the Japanese script that might make no sense if put literally into English.

Also, Nintendo has been getting their international branches more involved in development. During the development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Monolith Soft mentioned meetings with NoA and NoE to check on content.

So yeah, the perception is that Nintendo is taking more steps to ensure nothing major has to be changed between Japan and international versions. If this game has any version of skinship, it'll likely only be at a level that they're okay with showing in all territories.

Edited by Sentinel07