Jump to content
Re:Born

It's been 2 years since Warriors. Have you're opinions on the game changed since then?

Recommended Posts

It's been at least 2 years since Fire Emblem Warriors was released. To those that have played it, have your thoughts on the game changed any since then?

I personally have the game. I loved it back then, and I still do now. Though, I wish History Mode had some replayablity to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a switch around the time Warriors came out, and it was the game I was most excited to play.

To this day, I still haven't finished it. In fairness, I got into Xenoblade 2 midway through playing Warriors, and the story was just that much more engaging that I put down Warriors and kept playing Xenoblade. Once I finished that, I moved onto Torna, then finished off an old FE7 save file, and then, and then... You get the picture.

Gameplay wise, I enjoyed Warriors a lot, and I'm even alright with the lack of representation for a good chunk of the franchise (conveniently, I've played all the FE games repped in Warriors, and no others), but the story was just so... non-existent. I'm the kind of person who needs a good story to keep playing a video game, which is why it got so easily discarded in favor of Xenoblade 2. 

Now that you've brought it up, I kinda want to get back into it. Though maybe I should play Sacred Stones first...

Tl;dr: I went from being really excited about it to being kind of meh on it after playing it. I don't dislike Warriors as a game, though. It is really fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no, it hasn't changed

"an enjoyable game, but a huge missed opportunity, seasoned with loads of bullshit excuses from the devs"

Edited by Yexin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Yexin said:

no, it hasn't changed

"an enjoyable game, but a huge missed opportunity, seasoned with loads of bullshit excuses from the devs"

Yeah pretty much this. I enjoy the game for what it is but time does little to overcome the wasted potential of what Warriors should have been, but isn't. The passage of time might even make it worse if a sequel never comes and we find out Koei wasted their perfect crossover chance for good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved it, though I've never finished DLC. It's a bit dumb but..I've lost my desire to play afterwards xD I really hope the next one will fix issues this one had anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinions have not changed, still loving it, and the game i have been playing the most on the switch.

I have been a fan of the Warriors series way before discovering Fire Emblem, and when I found out Koei started making cross-overs I've always wanted them to do one with FE. The way they mixed the gameplay mechanics of both games was done perfectely, not losing the spirit of each. The story was pretty much what I expected, so yes it may be bad by FE standards but it's the same as any other Koei crossover game. I think their choices of characters was okay, of course they couldn't get everyone but they managed to get the most popular ones with some different gameplays (too bad the cast is great only with the DLC). They chose to focus on the 3 main recently popular titles just like they did with Hyrule Warriors, now if there is a FEW 2 they can also focus entirely on different games wich is better than having the main lords of each games wich would result in a case of nearly entirely sword users.

One of the biggest good surprises for me was in the supports and dialogues that I enjoyed, making me like characters I didn't like before ! It really felt like the devs wanted the fans to be happy, and i was !

It is a really good Warriors game, and it would be very great to have it come back with more FE games :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is pretty much the same as it was back then. Fun game, but man is it filled with wasted potential, especially in regards to the character roster. Like, we all knew that the villains weren't gonna be the selling point of FEW considering the games they chose, but the fact that they went out of their way to pick the worst villains from the games really doesn't help. It will especially hurt if we never get a sequel with characters from older games like Ike and Roy, and if that's the case, fuck you Koei, you messed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played it since finishing up the DLC, but I'd still say I love it because it really is a fantastic Warriors game (and I think more people would see that if they'd stop whining about the roster). It was everything it needed to be for me; Warriors-style action mixed with Fire Emblem-style strategy elements with some of my favorite characters. The story was worthless, but that's about what I was expecting. Supports exceeded my expectations, though, so that was nice.

(By the way, we're still a few months out from 2 years having passed. Also, your*)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I really enjoyed and still enjoy FE Warriors tbh. I think we can all agree the roster could've used work, however for what it's worth, it was a damn good warriors game that did it's best to incorporate fe elements and I actually found I liked some characters that I wasn't the most fond of after FEW (Corrin for example who I find much more enjoyable as a character in FEW than Fates).

One thing is, unlike some other people, I'm not really begging for a sequel tbh, because I can't really see what they could to try and make a sequel a better game from this other than changing the roster making a sequel rather redundant imo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion has not changed. It's still one of the best Warriors games, but also still a massive disappointment as an FE spinoff. It doesn't feel like a celebration of its franchise in the same way Hyrule Warriors does. It doesn't use any iconic Fire Emblem maps and leaves most of the franchise's history and greatest characters out in the cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion of the game is pretty much the same as it was back then, a very fun Fire Emblem spinoff game that made a few questionable decisions. I guess I will start with the bad before I say good stuff. First of all the sword plaque the franchise is usually known for crops up into the game and I believe half the roster uses sword which isn't good when you consider the Weapon Triangle plays a part in the gameplay. I feel like people would have accepted Rowan and Lianna more if they used something else besides swords. Speaking of too much of the same weapon type the we didn't really need three evil sorcerers on the villain's side. Only Gharnef or Validar should of been chosen and the other villains could have been Michalis (could be a Camilla clone like Minerva end up being), Gangrel (could have been a Ryoma clone) and/or Hans (would of love to beat up this douche).

Roster choices could have been a little better as well. I would have traded Niles and Oboro out for two more Archanean reps if I could. Archanea really got shafted when it came to reps. Alm also should have been the Gaiden/Echoes rep instead of Celica since from a personality perspective Alm would be more likely to tear through hundreds of soldiers compared to the pacifist Celica. Also would have traded Lyn out for Hector as the Blazing Sword rep but that is more of a personal thing and I understand why Lyn was chosen.

One final complaint I have is that I wish the battlegrounds were taken directly from locations used from the main games because most of the backgrounds just look generic and boring.

Still despite the game's glaring flaws it was an enjoyable game for me. Sunk around 400 hours into the game completing all the main game and DLC contents besides the achievement for getting a character's level to 150 but there is no way I was going to waste time grinding a character's level that high. The closest I got was Anna sitting at Lv.130 and rest are in the LV.110-115 area. History mode was great as well and was such a fun time sink.

Yeah, they only focused on three games but I actually liked they did that since it meant we got more playable characters in different classes and the roster would have looks boring to me if it was just Lords which is kind of the problem I have with Fire Emblem's representation in Smash Bros (plus the too many sword problem would still exist).

Gameplay was fun, pair up was a fun mechanic since I could switch between two characters on the fly. Most of my favorites were in the game (sorry for those whose favorite didn't make the cut) so it was fun beating every one up with Anna, Linde, Owain, Chrom and especially Lissa with her fun moveset. Just about everyone's moveset was fun to use (and yes that includes even Corrin's moveset).

Most of the supports were good and fun to listen to. It was great to hear full on voice acting to go along with the supports. I really enjoyed most of Anna's and Owain's support conversations.

So yeah, great game held back by some development decisions and a seemingly smaller budget compared to Nintendo's other warriors game but I still think Fire Emblem Warriors is superior to Hyrule Warriors gameplay wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

My opinion of the game is pretty much the same as it was back then, a very fun Fire Emblem spinoff game that made a few questionable decisions. I guess I will start with the bad before I say good stuff. First of all the sword plaque the franchise is usually known for crops up into the game and I believe half the roster uses sword which isn't good when you consider the Weapon Triangle plays a part in the gameplay. I feel like people would have accepted Rowan and Lianna more if they used something else besides swords. Speaking of too much of the same weapon type the we didn't really need three evil sorcerers on the villain's side. Only Gharnef or Validar should of been chosen and the other villains could have been Michalis (could be a Camilla clone like Minerva end up being), Gangrel (could have been a Ryoma clone) and/or Hans (would of love to beat up this douche).

Roster choices could have been a little better as well. I would have traded Niles and Oboro out for two more Archanean reps if I could. Archanea really got shafted when it came to reps. Alm also should have been the Gaiden/Echoes rep instead of Celica since from a personality perspective Alm would be more likely to tear through hundreds of soldiers compared to the pacifist Celica. Also would have traded Lyn out for Hector as the Blazing Sword rep but that is more of a personal thing and I understand why Lyn was chosen.

One final complaint I have is that I wish the battlegrounds were taken directly from locations used from the main games because most of the backgrounds just look generic and boring.

Still despite the game's glaring flaws it was an enjoyable game for me. Sunk around 400 hours into the game completing all the main game and DLC contents besides the achievement for getting a character's level to 150 but there is no way I was going to waste time grinding a character's level that high. The closest I got was Anna sitting at Lv.130 and rest are in the LV.110-115 area. History mode was great as well and was such a fun time sink.

Yeah, they only focused on three games but I actually liked they did that since it meant we got more playable characters in different classes and the roster would have looks boring to me if it was just Lords which is kind of the problem I have with Fire Emblem's representation in Smash Bros (plus the too many sword problem would still exist).

Gameplay was fun, pair up was a fun mechanic since I could switch between two characters on the fly. Most of my favorites were in the game (sorry for those whose favorite didn't make the cut) so it was fun beating every one up with Anna, Linde, Owain, Chrom and especially Lissa with her fun moveset. Just about everyone's moveset was fun to use (and yes that includes even Corrin's moveset).

Most of the supports were good and fun to listen to. It was great to hear full on voice acting to go along with the supports. I really enjoyed most of Anna's and Owain's support conversations.

So yeah, great game held back by some development decisions and a seemingly smaller budget compared to Nintendo's other warriors game but I still think Fire Emblem Warriors is superior to Hyrule Warriors gameplay wise.

It should be noted that Rowan and Lianna were originally planned to be an axe user and a lance user respectively, but they made them sword users for the sake of "muh tutorial", which is really dumb. Also, it literally angers me that they included Celica without Alm (especially since Alm is my favorite lord)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

It should be noted that Rowan and Lianna were originally planned to be an axe user and a lance user respectively, but they made them sword users for the sake of "muh tutorial", which is really dumb. Also, it literally angers me that they included Celica without Alm (especially since Alm is my favorite lord)

I never really bought into that tutorial excuse they came up with. It always looked to me like they just wanted to save development time instead of going out of their way to make two more unique movesets.

It would have made more sense to me if Rowan, Lianna and Darios (even if it was just for the early levels) used different weapons and were the team you used for the first few chapters before encountering the Awakening crew. That way you got a chance to try out a sword, lance and axe moveset while at the same time showing how the Weapon Triangle mechanic works early on instead of waiting until Lissa joins to show how it works. Instead Rowan and Lianna are just another forgettable pair of sword lords.

Yeah, I really feel like they should have put Alm in to go along with Celica because she really looks out of place without him here. I would have been fine if Alm just used Chrom's moveset if it got him into the game. But personally I feel like the team who made both Warriors games for Nintendo are just biased towards picking females for their playable roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

I never really bought into that tutorial excuse they came up with. It always looked to me like they just wanted to save development time instead of going out of their way to make two more unique movesets.

It would have made more sense to me if Rowan, Lianna and Darios (even if it was just for the early levels) used different weapons and were the team you used for the first few chapters before encountering the Awakening crew. That way you got a chance to try out a sword, lance and axe moveset while at the same time showing how the Weapon Triangle mechanic works early on instead of waiting until Lissa joins to show how it works. Instead Rowan and Lianna are just another forgettable pair of sword lords.

Yeah, I really feel like they should have put Alm in to go along with Celica because she really looks out of place without him here. I would have been fine if Alm just used Chrom's moveset if it got him into the game. But personally I feel like the team who made both Warriors games for Nintendo are just biased towards picking females for their playable roster.

It sickens me tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still is my favorite switch exclusive title to this day. I'm more or less fine with the roster decisions since I actually did enjoy the 3DS games alot, with Xander and Chrom being some of my favorite characters in the series. I still really hope they do a sequel at some point that expands into the telius and GBA games. Maybe even jugdral and valentia.

The gameplay is still excelent. Can't really say anything more from that, except it is pretty easy at times. But there are hard battles thrown in, but I just wish the difficulty was more or less consistant.

I also think warriors did some of the characters better then in their original games. Corrin is actually pretty cool here.

Rowan is still obnoxious, and I still don't like him. Lianna is bland and forgettable, Seriously, a baked potato has more personality than Lianna. Darios is the best OC out of the 3 in my opinion. The whole dynamic between the 3 was looking to be something along the lines of Ephraim / Eirika / Lyon. But it didn't quite reach that level of great writing. So overall a missed opportunity.

Edited by Faellin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was fun, but I felt there is much that could've been added to it. I would've like to have also seen characters from other games, it needed more variety in that aspect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 12:34 PM, Etheus said:

My opinion has not changed. It's still one of the best Warriors games, but also still a massive disappointment as an FE spinoff. It doesn't feel like a celebration of its franchise in the same way Hyrule Warriors does. It doesn't use any iconic Fire Emblem maps and leaves most of the franchise's history and greatest characters out in the cold.

Quoting myself because of all the talk about OCs.

 

I don't think anything in Warriors should have been original. No shitty original characters. No Rowan to be the worst lord in the franchise. No Lianna to be tofu in human form. No Darios to be diet Lyon. No toy-like chaos dragon. No original stages.

 

Warriors should have focused its plot around main canon lords, or at least the Heroes ones. It should have had iconic franchise maps only, like Serenes Forest and Elincia's Gambit. It should have had bosses from the main franchise like Formortis, Ashera, and Idounn.

 

Zelda was respected in its Warriors spinoff with stages and bosses inspired by canon ones. Fire Emblem was not similarly respected. Stop letting KT make original characters; they suck at it.

Edited by Etheus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as previously stated by others, great gameplay, but a wasted opportunity, I honestly think that Ike and Roy would have boosted sales by over 10,000 units at launch

I also agree with @Etheus that they really could have tried harder to make environments and other things feel more like fire emblem, original content was a bad idea if you ask me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Etheus said:

Zelda was respected in its Warriors spinoff with stages and bosses inspired by canon ones. Fire Emblem was not similarly respected. Stop letting KT make original characters; they suck at it.

I find it odd how people always go to Hyrule Warriors like this. HW had original content. Not even just Lana and Cia, Link, Zelda, and Impa are technically original since they are not the Link, Zelda, or Impa of any other game. These crossovers need a connecting point, but since Zelda and Fire Emblem work differently it was easier to make that connecting point still feel familiar in HW.

I'm not saying FEW is perfect. I definitely agree that they should have used actual locales from Fire Emblem games rather than the sort-of lookalikes we got. But if they'd chosen any existing lord to be the focal point, I think there would be a lot of complaints that it wasn't someone else. If it was Marth, you'd get people complaining that it should have been Lyn, or Ike, or Chrom, etc. This wasn't a problem with HW because "Link" is always the protagonist in Zelda. So while I'm certainly not a fan of Rowan or Lianna themselves, I don't disagree with the choice to use original characters as the focal point. It's basically the same case as Heroes, and IS develop that one themselves.

Like, I get it, people were disappointed with some of the choices made in FEW. I don't always agree, but I do understand. But when people say it "wasn't respected" I find that's going too far. They tried a different approach. Some ideas worked, some didn't.

Also, uh, bosses? Three of them are literally villains from their respective games and the final boss is a giant dragon, which is basically the final boss of every FE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Florete said:

I find it odd how people always go to Hyrule Warriors like this. HW had original content. Not even just Lana and Cia, Link, Zelda, and Impa are technically original since they are not the Link, Zelda, or Impa of any other game. These crossovers need a connecting point, but since Zelda and Fire Emblem work differently it was easier to make that connecting point still feel familiar in HW.

Going to agree. Although Lana is a disconnect, she seems too "anime" for Zelda when things set in. At first though she isn't so much, thanks to the goddesses and oracles for me I think.

And on the topic of the Oracles, Cia-Volga-Wizzro has since I saw someone say it, have a lite parallelism to Veran-Onyx-Twinrova.

 

On places, FE's aren't as vibrant as Zelda's. Not to say seeing actual FE locales wouldn't be good, only that due much to a difference in format, Zelda places are more memorable and detailed than FE ones. One world is the explorable world of an adventure game and the other an SRPG's world restrained to battle maps and CGs (and FE is a little more realistic than Zelda). I could easily make nine distinct battlefields from the nine dungeons of Ocarina of Time, and Twilight Princess's eight dungeons could still yet be distinct from the nine of OoT. Couldn't quite say the same of FE and its maps.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still like the game, though after having played through several other Warriors games, I have to say that this is one of the weaker ones overall. It also gets bogged down by having all of my absolute LEAST favourite characters from Fates in it, but I had an issue with that since the very beginning.
The story feels like a parody of Fire Emblem tropes, which I can appreciate and contrary to popular opinion, the OCs aren't atrocious. KT has made worse. Much worse. And for worse reasons, too.

Aside/rant:
Why did Xiaoqiao have to look, sound, and act like a 10-year old, but still have "romantic" scenes with a guy in his twenties? And why are the two "most beautiful women in Wu whose beauty shines brighter than the stars and cause even flowers to hide in shame" lolis, anyway? Are you trying to tell us something about Wu, KT?
I'm not usually one to complain about this kind of stuff, but this is so egregious that it deserves a mention.
And then there's Bao Sanniang, who only exists to give Guan Suo a fangirl (that is the actual reason they implemented her, too. I am not making that up!). She didn't even EXIST! Neither in the ROTK novel, nor in actual history. What the actual hell where they thinking with this character? The world may never know.
Worse still, Xiaoqiao, Daqiao and Bao Sanniang are extremely fun to use in DW8XL, Xiaoqiao even moreso in Empires (yay, Dual Fans!), which makes the thing that their implementation is botched all the worse.
And then there's the whole Xiahou Ji debacle from DW9. I don't have the game myself, but from what I've read and seen, they took a kidnapping and rape and made a "romantic" love story out of it. Why did KT include that? There were so many other Shu officers that were far more important (Xiahou Ji isn't even MENTIONED in ROTK) they could have made playable (Liao Hua, Ma Su, Zhao Yun's sons, Liu Feng, Sun Qian etc. etc. etc.), but nope! We need to make a kidnapping and rape, which probably mentally scarred the poor girl irl into a romantic love story. Because f*** decency, am I right? I didn't quite believe in the whole "KT has a Shu boner", but this pretty much sold me on that narrative.
Aside/rant over

As for KT not being able to make decent original characters: I'd like to point out Guan Yinping and Lu Lingqui as counter points. Both are decent characters, at least as far as Warriors games go... Until KT decides to include some random dudes they can fawn over and lose everything that made them endearing (R.I.P. Sun Ren/Shangxiang post-Chibi).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most overhated spinoffs ever. This game is a perfect blend between Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors, but despite that, everyone very clearly didn't care about that and bashed it into oblivion for reasons I don't think I need to say. It's a shame. I wish this game would be given another chance, but that's not the world we live in.

Side Note: I find it hilarious that everyone complained that Warriors only pulled from three FE games (the most successful and well known ones) and only had about 5% content from two other games, yet back in it's infancy, Hyrule Warriors did the exact same thing and no one seemingly batted an eye about that. No Johns, just something to think about for a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Aside/rant:
Why did Xiaoqiao have to look, sound, and act like a 10-year old, but still have "romantic" scenes with a guy in his twenties? And why are the two "most beautiful women in Wu whose beauty shines brighter than the stars and cause even flowers to hide in shame" lolis, anyway? Are you trying to tell us something about Wu, KT?
I'm not usually one to complain about this kind of stuff, but this is so egregious that it deserves a mention.
And then there's Bao Sanniang, who only exists to give Guan Suo a fangirl (that is the actual reason they implemented her, too. I am not making that up!). She didn't even EXIST! Neither in the ROTK novel, nor in actual history. What the actual hell where they thinking with this character? The world may never know.
Worse still, Xiaoqiao, Daqiao and Bao Sanniang are extremely fun to use in DW8XL, Xiaoqiao even moreso in Empires (yay, Dual Fans!), which makes the thing that their implementation is botched all the worse.
And then there's the whole Xiahou Ji debacle from DW9. I don't have the game myself, but from what I've read and seen, they took a kidnapping and rape and made a "romantic" love story out of it. Why did KT include that? There were so many other Shu officers that were far more important (Xiahou Ji isn't even MENTIONED in ROTK) they could have made playable (Liao Hua, Ma Su, Zhao Yun's sons, Liu Feng, Sun Qian etc. etc. etc.), but nope! We need to make a kidnapping and rape, which probably mentally scarred the poor girl irl into a romantic love story. Because f*** decency, am I right? I didn't quite believe in the whole "KT has a Shu boner", but this pretty much sold me on that narrative.
Aside/rant over

As for KT not being able to make decent original characters: I'd like to point out Guan Yinping and Lu Lingqui as counter points. Both are decent characters, at least as far as Warriors games go... Until KT decides to include some random dudes they can fawn over and lose everything that made them endearing (R.I.P. Sun Ren/Shangxiang post-Chibi).

yeah, there are some very good DW female females like Wang yuanji and Guan Yinping, but on the whole DW girls are very bad and only exists as accessories for their husbands. In general Samurai Warriors does its females a lot better because their husbands generally aren't present or the wives have some amount of autonomy.  Hideyoshi is henpecked by Nene, Noh wants to kill her husband. Gracia is too busy being a cinnamon bun to get married, and Ava frightens people. 

3 hours ago, Decerd said:

Side Note: I find it hilarious that everyone complained that Warriors only pulled from three FE games (the most successful and well known ones) and only had about 5% content from two other games, yet back in it's infancy, Hyrule Warriors did the exact same thing and no one seemingly batted an eye about that. No Johns, just something to think about for a bit.

I wrote about something like this some time ago(very well I might add so I'm annoyed I can't find and copy past that post) . Basically its because Hyrule Warriors had an easier task, and because it made competent choices where FE Warriors didn't. Despite its initial limited selection there are very little gaps in the roster of Hyrule Warriors while the Fe Warriors is defined by its gaps. In Hyrule Warriors we have most core main characters, fan favorites, and a very strong villain lineup. In FE Warriors we have a core  part of the fanbase almost completely ignored, a lot of definitive fan favorites missing and pretty much no real villains. 

Its all about the gaps in a roster. By its very nature Zelda has an easier time in this. With the Triforce trio and Impa most of the absolutely vital additions are already present. FE doesn't have this convenience.    

 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Decerd said:

One of the most overhated spinoffs ever. This game is a perfect blend between Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors, but despite that, everyone very clearly didn't care about that and bashed it into oblivion for reasons I don't think I need to say. It's a shame. I wish this game would be given another chance, but that's not the world we live in.

Side Note: I find it hilarious that everyone complained that Warriors only pulled from three FE games (the most successful and well known ones) and only had about 5% content from two other games, yet back in it's infancy, Hyrule Warriors did the exact same thing and no one seemingly batted an eye about that. No Johns, just something to think about for a bit.

Because the Zelda series barely has characters in general, let alone those that can fight. Nobody minded when Hyrule Warriors initially only featured characters from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword because there was barely anyone to look forward to. Link and Ganondorf were obvious, as were some of the other villains like Zant and Ghiarhim. You could sort of pull for Zelda and Impa since certain incarnations of them have been known to fight. Then you have to get really creative to fill out those remaining spots. Ruto and Fi have never been shown fighting before, Darunia has never been seen fighting either, hell Agitha wasn't even part of Twilight Princess' main story. What I'm trying to say is that nobody threw a fit over Hyrule Warriors' initial roster because there weren't that many characters to choose from. FEW, on the other hand, has tons of memorable characters from across the franchise, and yet they only drew from the 3DS era for the most part. And in FEW's case, the favoritism towards the 3DS games came across as far more blatant, since one of the three focus games, Shadow Dragon, only had three playable characters in the game at launch, whereas Awakening got six and Fates got fucking nine. Even in the story, Marth and his crew are clearly an afterthought since they don't show up until about halfway through the story mode. This, combined with Executive Meddling and poor PR from the devs saying they wouldn't include fan favorite protagonists from the older games like Roy and Ike unless there was a sequel, made the game feel like the cheap 3DS plug that fans widely condemn it for.

Edited by Gregster101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

yeah, there are some very good DW female females like Wang yuanji and Guan Yinping, but on the whole DW girls are very bad and only exists as accessories for their husbands. In general Samurai Warriors does its females a lot better because their husbands generally aren't present or the wives have some amount of autonomy.  Hideyoshi is henpecked by Nene, Noh wants to kill her husband. Gracia is too busy being a cinnamon bun to get married, and Ava frightens people.

Wang Yuanji and Guan Yinping are among the better females in DW, I agree. Wang Yuanji in particular might just be my favourite DW character period. Those Throwing Knives are deadly, I tell you.
I also fully agree on the SW girls.

As for the accessory thing, you could argue that it was like that in history, but even the ROTK novel had the decency to make the females that did appear something else:

  • Zhurong was a fighter, with her marriage to Meng Huo mentioned only in passing.
  • Wang Yi fought and was the only one to actually do so in history, yet her character in DW revolves solely around Ma(h Justice) Chao, even if it is the complete opposite of a romance.
  • Diaochan is probably the most important female character in the entire book as far as her involvement in major events goes, yet in DW, her entire character seems to revolve solely around Lu Bu, with her and Wang Yun's plotting against Dong Zhuo completely in the background. 
  • Sun Ren/Shangxiang talked the Wu elite into submission after eloping with Liu "Toddler-Tosser" Bei, which is more than can be said about her in DW after her supposedly happy marriage to the guy. It was anything but in actual history, and wasn't so positive in the novel, either, even if she did come to love him in the end, which I find to be a lot better than whatever the heck DW did to her. A political marriage that turns into a real romance is actually a really solid plot device, if you ask me, and makes both characters way more interesting without taking away anything from them.
  • Sun Quan's mother's younger sister had all the say in Sun Ren/Shangxiang's marriage, and she even reprimanded her son for marrying Sun Ren/Shangxiang off for nothing but a ruse, yet this isn't even brought up in DW.
  • Liu Shan's (the tossed toddler) mother sacrificed herself to give Zhao Yun time to escape with him by throwing herself down a well yet she isn't even mentioned in DW
  • Sun Luyu and Sun Luban (Sun Quan's daughters with Lianshi) aren't even among the playable characters, yet would be really interesting to see in a DW game, where one slanders the other amidst a time of political chaos and succession crisis. The potential drama here is astounding, yet KT doesn't take the opportunity. There is a severe lack of later Wu stuff anyway. DW8XL ends Wu's historical story at New Hefei Castle, shortly after Sun Quan styles himself emperor, which seems to be a very arbitrary point, and their only involvement in the Jin plot is during Zhuge Dan's rebellion. I think it's a damn shame to have DW's story end at the fall of Shu or Zhong Hui's rebellion, personally.

In order to avoid potential misunderstandings, I have nothing against depicting characters that are happily married, in fact I'm all for it. I just think it's a waste to include characters and then have them be nothing but fanboys/-girls for other characters, instead of their own character, regardless if said character is male or female. This just so happened to be what most DW females are in the end.

In order to avoid going too far off topic, FE Warriors is still a good game to me. It's just not as varied and replayable as DW8XL, DW8Empires, Warriors All-Stars, and SW4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...