It's been 2 years since Warriors. Have you're opinions on the game changed since then?

Re:Born

Still the worst Warriors crossover game I have ever played.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:58 PM, Decerd said:

Side Note: I find it hilarious that everyone complained that Warriors only pulled from three FE games (the most successful and well known ones) and only had about 5% content from two other games, yet back in it's infancy, Hyrule Warriors did the exact same thing and no one seemingly batted an eye about that. No Johns, just something to think about for a bit.

Thats really not the case, plenty of things in a patchless Hyrule Warriors for Wii u were directly from other Zelda games. Bow Wow from Link's Awakening is a weapon, Gohma is the Zelda 1 version, ETC.

In sharp contrast, FE:W barely even featured Shadow Dragon.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/22/2019 at 8:20 PM, Florete said:

I find it odd how people always go to Hyrule Warriors like this. HW had original content. Not even just Lana and Cia, Link, Zelda, and Impa are technically original since they are not the Link, Zelda, or Impa of any other game. These crossovers need a connecting point, but since Zelda and Fire Emblem work differently it was easier to make that connecting point still feel familiar in HW.

I'm not saying FEW is perfect. I definitely agree that they should have used actual locales from Fire Emblem games rather than the sort-of lookalikes we got. But if they'd chosen any existing lord to be the focal point, I think there would be a lot of complaints that it wasn't someone else. If it was Marth, you'd get people complaining that it should have been Lyn, or Ike, or Chrom, etc. This wasn't a problem with HW because "Link" is always the protagonist in Zelda. So while I'm certainly not a fan of Rowan or Lianna themselves, I don't disagree with the choice to use original characters as the focal point. It's basically the same case as Heroes, and IS develop that one themselves.

Like, I get it, people were disappointed with some of the choices made in FEW. I don't always agree, but I do understand. But when people say it "wasn't respected" I find that's going too far. They tried a different approach. Some ideas worked, some didn't.

Also, uh, bosses? Three of them are literally villains from their respective games and the final boss is a giant dragon, which is basically the final boss of every FE.

The thing is Hyrule Warriors original Link, Zelda, Impa and Ganondorf did not have separate character slots from Skyward Sword Link, Ocarina of Time Zelda, and Twilight Princess Ganondorf. The original characters of HW who did occupy an original character slot, Cia, Volga, and Wizzro all added something new to the roster, whilst intelligently homaging past Zelda games.

Rowan and Liana existed in a roster with Marth, Chrom, Lyn and Corrin all as separate character slots even though they all fought basically the same and were the exact same character archetype! They added nothing new and together only took away from a game that desperately needed diverse weapon and unit types.

20 hours ago, ThreeHeroesElitist said:

Game could used some serious world building, sure you saved the world at the end of the game but only 4 people live in it..

Darios should be playable in my opinion.

Fire Emblem warriors felt like it lacked any real villain presence.

It was just civil war with other FE characters, civil war with other FE heroes, one shot unexplained villain cameo, then Darios and Velezark

Contrast this with Hyrule warriors where Cia, Volga, Wizzro,  Ganondorf, Zant, and Ghirahim were all a major presence throughout the whole game.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

6 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Contrast this with Hyrule warriors where Cia, Volga, Wizzro,  Ganondorf, Zant, and Ghirahim were all a major presence throughout the whole game.

The villains were even allowed to have a little civil war among themselves which I found rather neat. 

8 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

The thing is Hyrule Warriors original Link, Zelda, Impa and Ganondorf did not have separate character slots from Skyward Sword Link, Ocarina of Time Zelda, and Twilight Princess Ganondorf. The original characters of HW who did occupy an original character slot, Cia, Volga, and Wizzro all added something new to the roster, whilst intelligently homaging past Zelda games.

Rowan and Liana existed in a roster with Marth, Chrom, Lyn and Corrin all as separate character slots even though they all fought basically the same and were the exact same character archetype! They added nothing new and together only took away from a game that desperately needed diverse weapon and unit types.

Not sure what I'm supposed to think about this. I addressed some of it already in the post you quoted and the rest of it doesn't even really have anything to do with what I said. Did I say FEW had good diversity? I don't think so, because I agree it could have used more.

8 minutes ago, Florete said:

Not sure what I'm supposed to think about this. I addressed some of it already in the post you quoted and the rest of it doesn't even really have anything to do with what I said. Did I say FEW had good diversity? I don't think so, because I agree it could have used more.

I wasn't saying your post did say FE:W had good diversity.

I was just mentioning my specific issues.

On a related note, it does feel to me like the developers of FE:W snubbed all but two games.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I really need to get around to finishing the last DLC maps, I still love this game and whole heartedly hope we get a sequel some years from now, tho with news out that they are working on a persona 5 warriors game, I feel like another 2 years will have to be added onto that wait list.

I think the origonal characters were fine, zelda had them and some of them even became character favourites (mostly because they were waifu material I think) but I think Fire emblem warriors should of had more maps based on actual games tho. a vague noir castle and a vague Hoshido castle doesnt really cut it for those fans, and the world tree being the only real connection is to little. I hope they look at Geneology landmarks or other maps with many forts or a big castle as inspiration for future maps.

• 1 month later...

Not at all.

Remains a massive letdown and a disgrace in the name of Fire Emblem.

That pop idol #FE had more merit in representing the franchise.

Warriors was completely shameless and forced in Lady Celica without the decency to at least copy paste things from Echoes.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:26 AM, Yexin said:

no, it hasn't changed

"an enjoyable game, but a huge missed opportunity, seasoned with loads of bullshit excuses from the devs"

Much agreed

Shortly after [FEW's] launch I bought a Switch just for this game. I ignored the ridiculous PR and too-many-swords conundrum and played through the game, got the DLC, maxed out all of the personal weapons, S-ranked all of History Mode, the whole shebang. And I've said it before: I enjoyed it, absolutely. I had a blast. I set it as my favorite for a reason.

While I could and would on occasion boot up the game and mindlessly obliterate armies with Owain and Ryoma's C4 till the cows come home, the shortcomings in certain aspects--the roster in particular--left me feeling a bit......empty. Unsatisfied. Glass half full. As a classic-era Emblemier, I found myself wanting...more. Wanting to use characters from those older titles. Personally, I'm in the group that would really love a sequel that improves on the original's shortcomings, but also at the very least has more diversity in the roster. At least draw from Elibe and Tellius, maybe Jugdral; Fόdan would be fine if they must have something to represent the modern FE era. And this time we gotta have playable villains. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Black Knight (/and Zelgius alt costume for the umpteenth time. ...Sorry) simply needs to be among them. He's one of the few characters in the series who is actually canonically strong enough to mow down thousands upon thousands of soldiers all on his own with ease; He's practically MADE for Warriors.

FEW did at least manage a respectable ~1 million copies in sales, and IS has started to acknowledge the older games more recently (if Heroes and, mechanically, Three Houses are any indication). So as long as KT's still considering it, as long as there's still a chance......well, as a certain laguz puts it, "All I will do is stand here, plant my feet, and wait."

I honestly think it's the best Musou crossover game ever.

It's got the catharsis of killing a whole bunch of people, a sliding scale on difficulty in stages, a lot of things to do, a constant effort to keep improving, and it took in the personality of the characters very well as well (though I miss not having the Elibe characters). 

Tecmo Koei has shown - particularly with TH - that they are a very good development house so long as they have a strong hand on their shoulders. With their own properties - ROTK, Nobunaga, I'll even put Dead or Alive here - they've really faltered, and DW9 was atrocious. But the FE and Zelda Warriors games were good.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:45 AM, Baron the Shining Blade said:

And this time we gotta have playable villains. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Black Knight (/and Zelgius alt costume for the umpteenth time. ...Sorry) simply needs to be among them. He's one of the few characters in the series who is actually canonically strong enough to mow down thousands upon thousands of soldiers all on his own with ease; He's practically MADE for Warriors.

The way I see this is that even if they DON'T have Playable villains, the Black Knight could be playable given how he seemed to be a Neutral party but was still very much playable in Radiant Dawn as protagonist in parts. Protecting Micaiah, helping the Dawn Brigade fend off the Greil Mercenaries in the woods, even showing up randomly as an ally in Part 4 just to help Micaiah's Army. He's a major antagonist in PoR but I don't see his RD presence as villainous at all. Especially since he even provides context to his apparent murder of Greil.

If you want playable "villains" go Ashnard. I bet he'd be a literal blast to play in Warriors.

23 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

The way I see this is that even if they DON'T have Playable villains, the Black Knight could be playable given how he seemed to be a Neutral party but was still very much playable in Radiant Dawn as protagonist in parts. Protecting Micaiah, helping the Dawn Brigade fend off the Greil Mercenaries in the woods, even showing up randomly as an ally in Part 4 just to help Micaiah's Army. He's a major antagonist in PoR but I don't see his RD presence as villainous at all. Especially since he even provides context to his apparent murder of Greil.

If you want playable "villains" go Ashnard. I bet he'd be a literal blast to play in Warriors.

Agreed.

And absolutely, so long as wyverns have their C1 dash attack nerfed. That slam was so broken, especially with Minerva having the highest Str stat in the game.

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

No, I love it, I almost completely beat it, my only two complaints are that the growths are fixed, and that the multiplayer mode on the Switch gives less opportunitys to KO enemies, but I'm still waiting for a sequel.

Edited by Fates-Blade

• 11 months later...

I really, really, enjoy this game. I'm really hoping for additional support (I think a Legends-style expansion is more likely than a full-fledged sequel), I really like how tight this game controls and my only real complaint with the roster is some of the series' archetypes did not really make an appearance (While Armor Knights are the obvious one, there are no "Christmas Cavaliers" or Fighter archetypes either), and some of the moveset clones (namely Marth/Celica and Robin/Tharja) should have been separated more, which could be remedied in a sequel or expansion.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:58 PM, Decerd said:

One of the most overhated spinoffs ever. This game is a perfect blend between Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors, but despite that, everyone very clearly didn't care about that and bashed it into oblivion for reasons I don't think I need to say. It's a shame. I wish this game would be given another chance, but that's not the world we live in.

Side Note: I find it hilarious that everyone complained that Warriors only pulled from three FE games (the most successful and well known ones) and only had about 5% content from two other games, yet back in it's infancy, Hyrule Warriors did the exact same thing and no one seemingly batted an eye about that. No Johns, just something to think about for a bit.

Shadow Dragon/Mystery aren't even well known or "successful". Most people only really know Marth, Minerva, Caeda, and the likes. Fe 12 is the reason Fe 13 might have been the last game after all. With Zelda people at least know it's an old series with characters of varying importance. Meanwhile the common Fire Emblem fan doesn't really know anything beyond the 3DS games (and well Switch now). It's akin to people only knowing the Smash reps, but on the scale of an entire, then, about 25 year old series.

Half of what makes Fire Emblem so beloved are it's characters. FeW basically disregards that and only focuses on characters mostly newer fans would know, and threw in Shadow Dragon cause "it's the first game". Considering characters become popular in feh (and in general) just solely on looks, they played it way too safe basically being "Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates Lyn, Celica, and Marth". Heck, a lot of Lyn fans never played fe 7. As for Celica, she's practically a 3DS character because not many people played or heard of Gaiden. Heck, some people still don't know Echoes is a remake.
Also, the fact there's so many swords and clone characters is even more aggravating. Why say they didn't want an over saturation and then do it anyways. And sure clones are fine but why not throw in more characters if you're going to do that. 

The general consensus is it's a pretty good game, but it's a horrible crossover game. However, despite people in this thread and other threads I've read, I generally see more people love the game,  because it's the Fire Emblem they know and it's catered to them, the 3DS crowd. With Lyn being already well known, and Celica coming off as "advertisement" and/or "that lord from the new game", and thus neat bonuses.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:45 PM, Baron the Shining Blade said:

FEW did at least manage a respectable ~1 million copies in sales, and IS has started to acknowledge the older games more recently (if Heroes and, mechanically, Three Houses are any indication). So as long as KT's still considering it, as long as there's still a chance......well, as a certain laguz puts it, "All I will do is stand here, plant my feet, and wait."

Feh is weird cause while they have gotten better the past year, such as Forging Bonds actually making characters from other games interact, they are still very inconsistent and still make weird choices. As for mechanically Three Houses is a lot of people's first game and/or introduction to mechanics and skills such as Canto. The game is still very much the more RPG leaning enemy phase modern fe games. I'd argue it's also the second most RPG the series has ever been, still beat by Gaiden/Echoes. So, really people will just think those things originated from Three Houses.

Edited by Darthkeeper
Typo

On 5/25/2019 at 12:17 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Still the worst Warriors crossover game I have ever played.

Thats really not the case, plenty of things in a patchless Hyrule Warriors for Wii u were directly from other Zelda games. Bow Wow from Link's Awakening is a weapon, Gohma is the Zelda 1 version, ETC.

In sharp contrast, FE:W barely even featured Shadow Dragon.

There is so, so much worse than FE Warriors in the crossovers.

Arslan is short, ends on a cliffhanger, and has lag spikes.

Fate Extella has zero respect for its IP. It has more in common with SAO than Fate.

Berserk is hot garbage.

Also, even with as much as Hyrule Warriors gets right, I'll still pick FE Warriors purely for gameplay. The combos are way faster, whereas Hyrule Warriors is full of long animations. The map is far easier to read. And it doesn't waste my time (in an heavily timed genre) with skulltula & heart piece hunts.

On 7/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, Darthkeeper said:

The general consensus is it's a pretty good game, but it's a horrible crossover game

I think that's the big problem. Its a celebration of Fire Emblem that takes the strange stance that large portions of Fire Emblem fans just aren't welcome to the party. If your main interest lies with Tellius or GBA games then the crossover simply isn't made for you. 

Maybe it wasn't intended that way but the strange way the series developed has its effect. Many parts of the fandom entered Fire Emblem at different points when the series had different tones. People who started with the GBA games might hold the same nostalgia for Elibe as the Japanese do for Archenea yet their starting point got snubbed. Tellius has a very different tone from Archenea where everyone's a mute or the newer games were everyone is an anime character and people liked it for that. That sort of tone hardly having any representation might cause people to get really annoyed. Jugdral wasn't a game anyone expected to get a lot of representation but the huge effect it had on the series means any celebration worth its salt should at least give it something. Even Archenea which all too often gets preferential treatment was kinda snubbed. Sure it got included but only with the barest amount of characters they could get away with. 

Its also worth pointing out that this game came out when the newer games were at their most controversial so having them get 75+ percentage of the roster while most games didn't even get a single bone thrown their way likely wasn't the message the fandom needed at the time. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not meaning to vent too much. I merely try to explain why the design policy behind this crossover was just very clumsy and bound to breed resentment. Whether that resentment is correct is another matter but the design process behind this game was bound to create such feelings. And it really didn't have to be that way. Even some minor alterations could have created a large amount of good will. If some fat in the roster was trimmed and replaced with a select few iconic characters like Roy or Ike, and if these characters were not merely a last minute addition like Lyn then this would already make a lot of older fans feel welcome. If in addition the creators just calmly explained that time and resources were limited, that they chose those game to have the biggest reach but still included some fan favorites because they love the older fans just as much then it would already be a lot better. I don't think many fans are unreasonable. They just wanted something and if the Koei made an honest effort to give them something they'd have accepted that. As it stands its likely many fans weren't even considered during the design process of the game which just seems foolish for any celebration of any series. 

26 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think that's the big problem. Its a celebration of Fire Emblem that takes the strange stance that large portions of Fire Emblem fans just aren't welcome to the party. If your main interest lies with Tellius or GBA games then the crossover simply isn't made for you. 

Maybe it wasn't intended that way but the strange way the series developed has its effect. Many parts of the fandom entered Fire Emblem at different points when the series had different tones. People who started with the GBA games might hold the same nostalgia for Elibe as the Japanese do for Archenea yet their starting point got snubbed. Tellius has a very different tone from Archenea where everyone's a mute or the newer games were everyone is an anime character and people liked it for that. That sort of tone hardly having any representation might cause people to get really annoyed. Jugdral wasn't a game anyone expected to get a lot of representation but the huge effect it had on the series means any celebration worth its salt should at least give it something. Even Archenea which all too often gets preferential treatment was kinda snubbed. Sure it got included but only with the barest amount of characters they could get away with. 

Its also worth pointing out that this game came out when the newer games were at their most controversial so having them get 75+ percentage of the roster while most games didn't even get a single bone thrown their way likely wasn't the message the fandom needed at the time. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not meaning to vent too much. I merely try to explain why the design policy behind this crossover was just very clumsy and bound to breed resentment. Whether that resentment is correct is another matter but the design process behind this game was bound to create such feelings. And it really didn't have to be that way. Even some minor alterations could have created a large amount of good will. If some fat in the roster was trimmed and replaced with a select few iconic characters like Roy or Ike, and if these characters were not merely a last minute addition like Lyn then this would already make a lot of older fans feel welcome. If in addition the creators just calmly explained that time and resources were limited, that they chose those game to have the biggest reach but still included some fan favorites because they love the older fans just as much then it would already be a lot better. I don't think many fans are unreasonable. They just wanted something and if the Koei made an honest effort to give them something they'd have accepted that. As it stands its likely many fans weren't even considered during the design process of the game which just seems foolish for any celebration of any series. 

Yeah that's pretty much the problem with Fire Emblem Warriors, a lot of older fans simply didn't feel welcome in a game that celebrated Fire Emblem (and I say this as someone who's technically an Awakening baby). If they had given the newer fans either Awakening or Fates, the western veterans either Elibe or Tellius, and the Japanese fans Archanea, then there wouldn't be nearly as many complaints as there were.

I'm still hoping for a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 with Elibe, Tellius, and Valentia characters, as well as the obvious Three Houses characters.

I feel like many issues fans have with this game can be solved if this game got additional support and DLC (Not too sure if a full-fledged sequel is likely, but I think it's somewhat more probable to see a Legends-styled expansion and additional DLC). Mechanically, it's my favorite Warriors game thanks to many mechanics to it (such as stats adding more diversity between the cast, crest skills, the pair-up and support mechanics adding some fun inter-character interactions, as well as how this game refined many mechanics from Hyrule Warriors, such as weak point gauges being able to be revealed via certain attacks rather than needing to wait for them). Also, while there are clones, pretty much every playstyle is worth using.

1 minute ago, RomanFlour said:

I feel like many issues fans have with this game can be solved if this game got additional support and DLC (Not too sure if a full-fledged sequel is likely, but I think it's somewhat more probable to see a Legends-styled expansion and additional DLC). Mechanically, it's my favorite Warriors game thanks to many mechanics to it (such as stats adding more diversity between the cast, crest skills, the pair-up and support mechanics adding some fun inter-character interactions, as well as how this game refined many mechanics from Hyrule Warriors, such as weak point gauges being able to be revealed via certain attacks rather than needing to wait for them). Also, while there are clones, pretty much every playstyle is worth using.

Koei has expressed interest in a Fire Emblem Warriors sequel, and they did say they were satisfied with the sales of the game, so it's probably safe to expect we'll get a sequel at some point rather than just a Legends styled expansion with additional DLC, it's just a matter of when.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Gregster101 said:

Koei has expressed interest in a Fire Emblem Warriors sequel, and they did say they were satisfied with the sales of the game, so it's probably safe to expect we'll get a sequel at some point rather than just a Legends styled expansion with additional DLC, it's just a matter of when.

That was a couple years back, so I wouldn't put much weight on it now. But any positive signs are worth something.

It could be that they are waiting for more new FE games to grow the brand. Because something tells me they don't actually care about Tellius or Elibe beyond the token lords that they "promised" for a sequel.

27 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

That was a couple years back, so I wouldn't put much weight on it now. But any positive signs are worth something.

It could be that they are waiting for more new FE games to grow the brand. Because something tells me they don't actually care about Tellius or Elibe beyond the token lords that they "promised" for a sequel.

I mean I still hope they include Tellius and Elibe characters after what they said about wanting to include Ike and Roy in a sequel besides the obvious Three Houses characters. Valentia characters too just so Celica is no longer alone X(

While people say that Fates has the majority of the representation, I'm pretty sure that's due to Fates having a lot of major characters to begin with - the vanilla representation is Corrin and all eight Royal Siblings.