It's been 2 years since Warriors. Have you're opinions on the game changed since then?

Re:Born

1 minute ago, RomanFlour said:

While people say that Fates has the majority of the representation, I'm pretty sure that's due to Fates having a lot of major characters to begin with - the vanilla representation is Corrin and all eight Royal Siblings. 

That's still a large majority of the representation though, cuz with the DLC, Fates has 12 fucking characters (13 if you include the non playable Iago)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, RomanFlour said:

While people say that Fates has the majority of the representation, I'm pretty sure that's due to Fates having a lot of major characters to begin with - the vanilla representation is Corrin and all eight Royal Siblings. 

That's true but you technically don't need all of them. Royals like Takumi, Xander and Camilla are very obvious additions that you can't ignore but the states of other royals is much more questionable. Hinoka is a pretty unimportant character in the grand scheme of things and you could argue that Lissa already has the cheery blonde lil sis role covered so Elice wasn't really required either. That's already two royals that could have easily been cut. 

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

That's true but you technically don't need all of them. Royals like Takumi, Xander and Camilla are very obvious additions that you can't ignore but the states of other royals is much more questionable. Hinoka is a pretty unimportant character in the grand scheme of things and you could argue that Lissa already has the cheery blonde lil sis role covered so Elice wasn't really required either. That's already two royals that could have easily been cut. 

Yeah honestly if you were to ask me how I would handle the Fates representation, it would be Corrin, Azura, Ryoma, Xander, Takumi, and Camilla. That's it, no one else.

19 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

Yeah honestly if you were to ask me how I would handle the Fates representation, it would be Corrin, Azura, Ryoma, Xander, Takumi, and Camilla. That's it, no one else.

Any excuse to not have Elise taking a roster slot would make me happy. Though I'd actually add Hinoka and Leo.

I think baseline, I'd have kept Corrin, Ryoma, Xander, Camilla, and Takumi, with the dlc pack being Azura, Hinoka, and Leo.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Any excuse to not have Elise taking a roster slot would make me happy. Though I'd actually add Hinoka and Leo.

I think baseline, I'd have kept Corrin, Ryoma, Xander, Camilla, and Takumi, with the dlc pack being Azura, Hinoka, and Leo.

I'd keep Azura in the base roster cuz of how stupid it was for her to be the royal to get axed from the base game and not either Sakura or Elise, but other than that, yeah that seems like a fair lineup

My opinion mostly stayed the same on Warriors. A good solid game thats lacking in charm. Its Roster and story could both use some work.

The roster is naturally the biggest complaint, but I would't have minded nearly as much as they actually went ahead as they advertised. SD/Awakening/Fates is not my combination of Fire Emblem games, but limiting yourself to 3 games gives you a bit of structure to work with. hyrule warriors did the same and I think it worked out well there. SD/Awakening/Fates isn't my crossover combination, but i'm not too harsh on them making that choice.

I am harsh however on the fact the base game did a very bad job with their crossover selection.  It did't feel like SD/Awakening/Fates at all. They mostly stuck to Awakening and Fates. Shadow dragon was giving the absolute minimun of attention. They had little room in the story and their playable roster was just 3 characters. SD got the main characters they where forced to include and they decided not to go any further then that.

And on the whole the roster was just a bit lacking in imagination. If the second most popular female character in Awakening is your 'risky' pick, then you are playing things very safe. Why not have Donnel or Arthur trip around the battlefield? A Legion using Legions in his fighting style. Felicia too would lend herself well to a warriors game. Hyrule warriors gave itself a lot more freedom and it gave some amusing characters like Agatha or the villains. I felt they where a bit too concerned with cramming all the popular/important characters in and forgot to have a bit of fun with their concept.

Its not all bad though. The game's fault is its charm and not its quality. All playstyles are enjoyable to use and the game has a lot of content going for it. They did't go completely overboard like Zelda, but I think the trial maps where a good amount of content. The supports also get a + from me. Its nice seeing characters from different games interact. Its something Heroes doesn't do enough off.

Charm matters though. So while I enjoyed my time in Warriors, I also haven't really thought about it in a long time. I don't see myself returning to it any time soon either.

Edited by Sasori

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 2:07 PM, Gregster101 said:

Agreed. I adore Fates, and I’d be willing to make Hinoka, Elise, Sakura and maybe Leo DLC for the sake of including one character from every game (probably the main lord of each, though that gets complicated with Sacred Stones, Ike and Roy would be givens.) 

I wasn’t pleased with Fates’ DLC roster other than Azura. I would’ve far rather seen Felicia (with Jakob as an alt) and Kaze. Not only are they more important to the plot, but they could have daggers/shuriken as a unique weapon type. They have excellent potential for movesets. Who doesn’t want to cut through hundreds of enemies as a maid or a ninja?

It is my favorite warriors game, but it also feels like they went out of the way to not celebrate the franchise. The lackluster roster is just emblematic of that. There's a lack of canon stages. A lack of canon monsters (ie: Risen). A lack of remixed canon music. The parts of the series that they did bring over were often the worst parts of the series (ie: noisy menus). 

They really need a sequel that gets it right, like Hyrule Warriors did. HW is a much more flawed game, but it also pays perfect tribute to its IP.

I actually love Warriors a LOT and have always enjoyed it. I actually think it's my second most played Switch game other than Animal Crossing still. I think that the cast does leave a lot to desire in terms of characters and clones, but other than that? I really enjoyed it. I really do hope that they make a sequel even though I kinda don't expect them to? I would honestly rather them just release something like the Torna expansion with more characters and story chapters. 

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion on this game... hasn't really changed. I was excited when it came out, enjoyed it despite a few flaws, and still look back fondly on it while eagerly hoping for a sequel.

I didn't mind that they limited the roster to Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Fates (with bonus Lyn and Celica); I felt that it was a necessary concession to avoid the roster becoming just main lords and nobody else, and I'm a relative newcomer to Fire Emblem anyway so obviously I wasn't as bothered by the older games getting less representation.

Honestly my biggest disappointment is that I exhausted all the content and no longer have anything to do in the game. No matter the gripes with the roster choices, I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue the actual gameplay isn't solid for a Warriors game. Leagues above Hyrule Warriors in that regard.

2 hours ago, LightingChaos said:

was this game even good? i looked at the character roster and thought it was dumb tbh 

Meh. It's your generic Warriors game with low effort background modeling. It failed at what crossover Warriors games are advertised for though, baffling roster decisions all around.

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I certainly had fun playing it. In that sense the game was good. 

But the roster was indeed very dumb. 

Kind of summarizes my feelings.

And as a long time Warriors fan, I personally think FEW gameplay is the best by far. Really fast, fluid combos (as opposed to Hyrule Warriors and its frequently long, clunky combo chains). AI helpers that actually help. 

It's just plain good as a Warriors game and just plain bad as a FE celebration.

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Kind of summarizes my feelings.

And as a long time Warriors fan, I personally think FEW gameplay is the best by far. Really fast, fluid combos (as opposed to Hyrule Warriors and its frequently long, clunky combo chains). AI helpers that actually help. 

It's just plain good as a Warriors game and just plain bad as a FE celebration.

kinda how i feel, it's just a celebration of the 3DS era titles. atleast awakening had DLC that called back to previous games, characters, and gave some of them new artwork. even if they were literal anime drawings, atleast it's something. 

13 hours ago, LightingChaos said:

was this game even good? i looked at the character roster and thought it was dumb tbh 

The roster doesn't tell you much about how the game plays.

I, for one, loved it. It's the most fun I've ever had with a Warriors title.

2 hours ago, LightingChaos said:

even if they were literal anime drawings

That's all of FE.

5 hours ago, LightingChaos said:

kinda how i feel, it's just a celebration of the 3DS era titles.

The cynic in me often suspected that FE Warriors was more Koei and Nintendo's attempt to capitalize on the success of the 3ds games instead of them genuinely seeing the potential that a crossover between Wariors and Fire Emblem has. Rather than a labor of love I see it more as a memo from the marketing department. 

Which isn't entirely unreasonable for Nintendo and Koei. They didn't know how long Fire Emblem's time in the spotlight would last. For all they knew the 3ds era was only a temporary resurgence of the series. They couldn't expect just how successful Heroes and Three Houses turned out to be. But understandable as it was its still not the mentality that this game needed. 

35 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The lemon twins aren't great but they are fine enough. I think the bigger problem is the worldbuilding in Aytolis. Because there isn't any. We don't even know what Grimstone is supposed to be aside from a kingdom that randomly attacked one day. 

I just see the story and worldbuilding as Diet Sacred Stones.

8 hours ago, Florete said:

I just see it as window-dressing so the game can exist.

It is and that's honestly all a crossover needs. But just because its window dressing doesn't mean it can't be competently done.

The Warriors Orochi crossover game is as simple as it gets. Evil snake king kidnaps every notable person from ancient Japan and China and tries to subjugate them. 

Hyrule Warriors is also simple. Crazy Yandere witch messes with time and space so she can get into Link's pants. 

Things like this can rightfully be held to a really low standard. And even compared to such a low standard the window dressing in Fe Warriors falls completely flat. 

My thoughts haven’t changed at all, still is my second favorite Warriors game after WO3U... it may be odd to some but... I was hoping for a roster like WO3U. That was my fault and I don’t hold it against the game. I didn’t hold the clone fighters against it either as units that where the same class fought the same way so I made sense that had the same moveset... except Minerva, she shouldn’t have been whipping fireballs around with her 3 mag.