In case anyone didn't see the tags, beware those who enter, here be spoilers

Longtime reader, first-time poster.  Thought I'd give my crack theory followed by a genuine discretion about Byleth's crest (called it the mark of Byleth so that the title was marginally less spoilery).  

So now we know that Byleth has not just a major crest, but a crest of ???.  This crest is also seen on the "Nemesis the Liberation King" who is depicted in the flashback fighting the armies of Seiros with his bone sword.  It is also seen on Sothis' clothing.  Byleth's aura has been shown to be dark/shadowy.  

Now some wild speculation but with all the comparisons going around between Genealogy and Three Houses right now due to Crests seeming to mirror holy bloodlines, I have been thinking about who the Genealogy equivalent of Byleth might be.  

Let's see, we have a dark bloodline with a dark past that was suppressed by the holy church/bloodlines.  We have a dark, shadowy aura.  We don't know who Byleth's mother is.  We have an extremely powerful dragon deity of unknown alignment whispering in our ear.  

But that doesn't sound right, does it?  Unless...

And it came to me:

5cdf4d70a158e_Hansarewethebaddies.jpg.aebb6c70dfc90536fef33a36bf20f152.jpg

Byleth is Arvis.  

I mean he probably is could be the whole mysterious chosen one who could ruin everything if he goes down the wrong path Corrin/Robin style, but just think about it.  

We are the dark bloodline.  And while Seiros, like Ashera, may not be as pure good as she first appears, that doesn't necessarily make us good either.  

If so, it seems that Byleth may have to arrange an academy barbecue.  I feel so, so... dastardly

5cdf541856780_BylethAcademyBarbecue.thumb.PNG.7686c0341ca4a4b0f8b0be5d05ae92a4.PNG

But more seriously, what do people think that Byleth's Crest is?  Is it basically the Mark of Grima (evil but protagonist doesn't want it and actively fights against it)?  Is it the mark of the chosen one (indicates power and goodness)?  Is it like the blood of Loptyr (evil, and can corrupt its bearer or cause them to unwittingly bring about a new age of darkness) Or is it something else entirely?

I think they'll paint this war out to be more grey, both the side with Seiros and the side with Nemesis weren't in the right but neither were squeaky clean either, as they're definitely building up the Church as not as good as they appear. They could always make it that Nemesis was actually the squeaky clean one and the history books were influenced by Seiros' victory to paint Nemesis as the baddie. It's too early to tell at this point but they could pull off the avatar having a deep dark bloodline better than Awakening due to Byleth's nature as a silent protagonist.

5 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I think they'll paint this war out to be more grey, both the side with Seiros and the side with Nemesis weren't in the right but neither were squeaky clean either, as they're definitely building up the Church as not as good as they appear. They could always make it that Nemesis was actually the squeaky clean one and the history books were influenced by Seiros' victory to paint Nemesis as the baddie. It's too early to tell at this point but they could pull off the avatar having a deep dark bloodline better than Awakening due to Byleth's nature as a silent protagonist.

The weird thing are the names: according to the lore, Seiros defeated Nemesis then created both Empire and the Church under one banner. Yet her new country was named Adrestia, which is the alternative name for Nemesis. Why would you name your country after your enemy? There must be more to this...

Edited by Timlugia

5 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

It's curious to me how Byleth's Crest is not in the goddess's mural, much like how Loptous is not in the holy blood circle in Genealogy.

Look closely at Byleth's Crest and the mural, the painting in the mural is in the shape of the Crest, I don't have the image linking them if someone would be so kind ;)

47 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Look closely at Byleth's Crest and the mural, the painting in the mural is in the shape of the Crest, I don't have the image linking them if someone would be so kind ;)

I gotcha.

1557983613276.png

If I can be the new coming of Alvis "Syg Burn", or Loptyr 'My class name have been taken by bad characters', I'll do it.

Seriously though, if it makes me an incarnation of something bad, and makes me able to actually be a bad guy, or, heaven forbid, do an independent path (Der Langrisser, never forget), boy oh boy !

If Byleth is just the second coming of Robin, the power of Meh, will be powerful in me. Depends on what they do really.

47 minutes ago, Calico said:

It's the Fire Emblem. :p Don't know what it's exact role in the story will be, but it'll probably be the Fire Emblem.

I'm still waiting for the day when an actual character is the Fire Emblem of the game.

58 minutes ago, Mysterique Sign said:

Maybe Seiros vs. Nemesis was more order versus Chaos than Good versus Evil, like in SMT

This is very likely IMO, maybe "Liberation king" was like Rudolf, who wants to cast away all influence from the dragons.

That seems pretty interesting. It wouldn't be the first time the avatar was connected to the evil being. Unless its like in Path of Radiance where what we thought was the evil being isn't actually evil. Either way seems cool.

I predict that Byleth's crest will be called the Fire Emblem