Known Character Strengths and Weaknesses

So as I'm extremely bored, I decided that I'd go through what screenshots we have, and see what the strengths and weaknesses of each character are. I've put the images in spoilers below the character they relate to in order to reduce the length of the post. Also, keep in mind that what we see may not be final.

Black Eagles:

Edelgard: Appear to start with an E+ in swords, a D in axes, a D in authority, and a D in armor. On her tutoring page, we can see that swords, axes, and authority are listed as strengths (armor isn't visible), while bows and faith magic and weaknesses. She has three stars next to reason magic, which suggest that she will gain a skill in it if you train her enough.

Spoiler

z_5cbf0e971927a.jpg

z_5cbf0e9710a05.jpg

Hubert: The screenshot we have of his stats appears to be from later in the game, so I can't determine what is ranked higher. But his strengths appear to be bows, reason, and authority, while his weaknesses are axes, faith, and flying. He also has three stars next to lances, which when filled in will let him acquire the Ice Javelin combat art.

Spoiler

z_5cd53236457fd.jpg

u3zVv2T.png

Dorothea: Appears to start with a E+ in swords and a D in reason. Swords and reason are listed as strengths, while faith magic and flying are weaknesses. Faith magic has three stars next to it, which we know when filled up will grant her White Magic Avoid +20.

Spoiler

5ce06523ecf69_3houses.thumb.png.46401eb254f66ba39d3bd30cdf15b9ac.png

u3zVv2T.png

Ferdinand: Appears to start with an E+ in swords, a D in lances, a E+ in axes, and a D in riding. Riding, axes, swords,  and lances are all strengths.

Spoiler

084-Focus.jpg

Petra: Appears to start with a D in swords and a D in flying. Flying appears to be a strength.

Spoiler

5ce0642b21ef9_3houses.png.b748cd841b8edf21637173f3a8e9cfb0.png

z_5cd53236939fd.jpg

Linhardt: Appears to start with an E+ in reason and a D in faith. Reason and faith are both listed as strengths. Axes and fighting are both weaknesses.

Spoiler

5ce0671bdc516_3houses.thumb.png.549ba7c12c6d5711b63d33ae42b62161.png

Bernadetta: Heavy Armor appears to be a strength of hers, yet her rank starts out at E, which is unusual.

Spoiler

z_5cd53235e23cc.jpg

Blue Lions:

Dimitri: Appears to start with a E+ in swords, a D+ in lances, a D in authority, and a D+ in riding. Swords, lances, and authority are listed as strengths, while axes and reason are listed as weaknesses.

Spoiler

z_5cd52bdd09dd7.jpg

z_5cd52bddda584.jpg

Dedue: Appears to start with an E+ in lances, a D+ in axes, an E+ in fists, and a D in armor. His strengths appear to be lances, axes, fists and armor, while his weaknesses are faith, riding, and flying. Interestingly, he doesn't appear to have a three-star symbol anywhere on his page.

Spoiler

z_5cd530258aad4.jpg

z_5cd530256e92f.jpg

Felix: Has a strength in swords, bows, and fighting. His weaknesses appear to be reason and authority. He has three stars next to reason, so he will most likely learn a special skill once you raise his rank in that area.

Spoiler

9EO5W3X.png

Ingrid: Appears to start with a D in swords, a D in lances, and an E+ in faith.

Spoiler

z_5cd529893af53.jpg

Golden Deer:

Nothing concrete yet, but if Claude is like the other lords, he'll have a E+ in swords, a D+ in bows, and a D in authority. It is also possible that he will start with a higher rank in flying, to mirror that Edelgard starts off with a high rank in armor and Dimitri starts off with a high rank in riding.

Bonus: 

Byleth: Has a D+ in swords, an E+ in fists, an E+ in faith, and a D in authority. However, it is likely that you will be able to choose what Byleth strength's will be, as one of Dorothea's screenshots show that she gets a teacher bonus from Byleth in axes. Though Byleth may always has a strength in swords.

Spoiler

z_5cd52988df483.jpg

If I've missed anything, or if anyone has any better suggestions for how to organize this, please tell me.

Edited by Calico

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know for sure yet, but the screenshots of group activities shown in the Famitsu article imply that Petra has a strength in Flying while Bernadetta has one in Heavy Armor.

Spoiler

088-Group-300x169.jpg.55bb822d2284d9b12b86caac103bf8ba.jpg

093-Group-300x169.jpg.128603792c373ae7262e7dad536a071e.jpg

Also, it's not definitive but I might as well mention that Claude might have a strength in Flying, considering that the other two appear to have strengths in the Heavy Armor and Riding.

Edited by BastienSoul

@BastienSoul You mean the blue marks next to the portrait? If this does mean that Bernadetta has a strength in heavy armor, it's weird because all of the other times a strength meant the rank started out higher than E. Hmm.

z_5cd53235e23cc.jpg

z_5cd53236939fd.jpg

And I'll put a note about Claude and flying too.

Plenty of characters have strengths that start out at an E+ rank, but only Bernadetta appears to have one of her strengths at the lowest possible rank so far. She also doesn't appear to have gained any bonus experience from the activity, which I assume she'd get if the chores work similarly to tutoring. (In the exp. bar at the bottom of the screen, we can see that Bernadetta has 36 exp. until she reaches E+. Going from E to E+ takes 40 exp., and we can thus assume that Bernie gained 4 exp .from the activity. We can also see that Dorothea has 32 exp until she reaches E+, which tells me that this must be her second time completing the activity and she's gaining exp. at the same rate as Bernadetta, and Dorothea doesn't have a strength in heavy armor. So the whole thing is weird.)

>Black Eagles: Basically everybody
>Blue Lions: Got a couple
>Golden Deer:

4 hours ago, Calico said:

Nothing concrete yet

if that 'aint a metaphor for popularity

Nice to have all this consolidated in one place.

46 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

How many strengths and weaknesses do you think would each student have?

I imagine it will differ depending on the individual. not some fixed "everybody has 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses" type of thing. There's also that fact that talent blossom (which seems to be possible for some students and not others) can change a weakness or a neutral ability into a strength.

2 minutes ago, Popers1328 said:

There's also that fact that talent blossom (which seems to be possible for some students and not others) can change a weakness or a neutral ability into a strength.

Yeah, I forgot to mention. Before talent blossom.

I think the number of strengths and weaknesses each character has is going to vary. Looking at Dedue, who is the only character for which we know all of the strengths and weaknesses, he has four strengths and three weaknesses. But that's just not possible for all characters based on what we've seen. Like, in the screenshot below of Dorothea, she has strengths in swords and reason, and a weakness in faith. Only the levels for riding, flying, and heavy armor aren't visible, and no matter how you fill them in, she wouldn't wind up with four strengths and three weaknesses like Dedue.

z_5cd532364bdd8.jpg

So I think the amount of strengths and weaknesses vary by character, and they can balance it out by having characters with fewer strengths have fewer weaknesses as well.

Thanks for these! This is an interesting subject to me, because even though I'm glad there's more freedom in unit customization than ever before, I'm glad there's also directions it seems like units "should" go in.

I'm impatient for us to see the rank requirements for more classes in the game. Like if I invest in lances and reason for Hubert, is there actually going to be a class that can wield both lances and magic?

21 hours ago, Lynsanity said:

Thanks for these! This is an interesting subject to me, because even though I'm glad there's more freedom in unit customization than ever before, I'm glad there's also directions it seems like units "should" go in.

I'm impatient for us to see the rank requirements for more classes in the game. Like if I invest in lances and reason for Hubert, is there actually going to be a class that can wield both lances and magic?

He can be a soldier who can casts reason magic or a dark mage who can use lances. We just need to figure out which class skills or stats he needed more.

I'm not sure if the game would encourage use of two weapon types or one only.

Wait a minute, could the students have one more strengths than weaknesses initially?

Edited by Jayvee94

@Coolmanio The finger pointing up means that Byleth is strong in that area, and their students will get a boost in that area when being trained. The nun icon symbolizes an item that boosts experience gained, and I think it was talked about in one of the famitsu article analyses.

53 minutes ago, BastienSoul said:

Another new video on the website shows a group task that boosts Flying, and shows that Hubert and Dorothea each have a weakness in in it. I can't link it now, though.

I don't know if we can really rely on those arrows, though, now that we've seen them used in the mess hall for food preferences, which have nothing to do with strengths/weaknesses:
IknOUdB.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I don't know if we can really rely on those arrows, though, now that we've seen them used in the mess hall for food preferences, which have nothing to do with strengths/weaknesses:
IknOUdB.jpg

I'm not sure what else the arrows in the video could mean, though. The arrows appear before the task, so it can't be how well they performed during it.

2 hours ago, BastienSoul said:

I'm not sure what else the arrows in the video could mean, though. The arrows appear before the task, so it can't be how well they performed during it.

Yeah, I can agree, that's why I was fine with it originally, but now I'm wondering. Bernadetta being the sole case of a strength with an E rank was also weird.

3 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

I honestly doubt that the three star part is fixed. Can't we just force a neutral/weak prof. level to gain three stars?

I don't really understand what you're saying. The three-star part signals that a character has a hidden strength in that area, and if you put in enough work into that area, it'll turn into a strength and reward you with a skill/combat art. However, it's probably not always going to be the best choice to focus on something that's originally a weakness rather than a character's natural strengths.

Do you think that a character's hidden strengths are randomized or something?

20 hours ago, Calico said:

Do you think that a character's hidden strengths are randomized or something?

No, I don't think it's randomized. I think we would have more freedom selecting a weakness to overcome.