Known Character Strengths and Weaknesses

2 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

No, I don't think it's randomized. I think we would have more freedom selecting a weakness to overcome.

Well, there's no sign of that. Characters seem to have set weaknesses that they can overcome.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Solarlunatic said:

It might just be that they get more out of the task if they have a blue arrow. Petra gets more experience than Edelgard, doesn't she?

Yes, 1.5x as much(18 vs 12). The issue being that 1.5x exp is also what a strength grants.

I do wonder if we will get to chose what Byleth's strengths and weaknesses are, especially if they're building them up as a sword wielder with the Bone Whip Sword. I'll totally make him an armoured mage/sword user if so; it seems like an elegant evolution of the boon/bane system.

12 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

I do wonder if we will get to chose what Byleth's strengths and weaknesses are, especially if they're building them up as a sword wielder with the Bone Whip Sword. I'll totally make him an armoured mage/sword user if so; it seems like an elegant evolution of the boon/bane system.

Also if I'm not mistaken, all of your students get a small boost in areas were Byleth excels, so you could do something like pick strengths in both riding and flying to give your students an easier path into those classes

• 2 weeks later...

From the Kotaku article we got a few new hints.

At level 7, Caspar has C's in Axes and Fighting, and E's in everything else. Those two are very likely Strengths, and as Axes are close to a C+ he probably starts with a D in Axes and an E+ in Fighting.

Bernadetta, at only level 3, has a C in Lances, C+ in Bows, and E+ in Reason and Flying. The Flying is easily accounted for: in the video it perfectly matches Edelgard's Flying exp, and the two have been paired in Group Task's Air Patrol. The Reason... she does have exp beyond the base, and at level 3 is unlikely to have been using magic, so I'm assuming that she's been tutored. 

Petra, at level 4, has a C+ in Swords, a C in Axes, a D in Flying, and an E+ in Bows. The Bows seems like it might also be a base proficiency, as there's no exp into it. The Axes being so high is a bit of a surprise, being only level 4. It suggests to me that it's also a Strength and probably starts with an E+ or even a D rank.

4 hours ago, LSM said:

From the Kotaku article we got a few new hints.

At level 7, Caspar has C's in Axes and Fighting, and E's in everything else. Those two are very likely Strengths, and as Axes are close to a C+ he probably starts with a D in Axes and an E+ in Fighting.

Bernadetta, at only level 3, has a C in Lances, C+ in Bows, and E+ in Reason and Flying. The Flying is easily accounted for: in the video it perfectly matches Edelgard's Flying exp, and the two have been paired in Group Task's Air Patrol. The Reason... she does have exp beyond the base, and at level 3 is unlikely to have been using magic, so I'm assuming that she's been tutored. 

Petra, at level 4, has a C+ in Swords, a C in Axes, a D in Flying, and an E+ in Bows. The Bows seems like it might also be a base proficiency, as there's no exp into it. The Axes being so high is a bit of a surprise, being only level 4. It suggests to me that it's also a Strength and probably starts with an E+ or even a D rank.

To complete this a bit, we can compare exp gains through the auto tutoring at the end of weeks, though it only helps with the stats characters are currently focused in. Here''s the whole thing, from the Treehouse coverage(two happen, and both give these same bonuses):

- Edelgard       +32 Axes      +32 Authority     
 - Hubert           +32 Reason  +32 Authority      
 - Ferdinand      +48 Axes                
 - Linhardt         +28 Lances    +28 Riding
 - Caspar           +48 Axes             
 - Bernadetta    +32 Lances    +32 Bows      
 - Dorothea        +48 Reason
 - Petra               +32 Swords    +32 Axes
 - Raphael          +32 Axes    +32 Brawl
 - Ignatz             +32 Swords    +32 Bows

Interestingly, having a single focus gives a much bigger bonus here(1.5x it seems), so there's reason to do that, though that's off topic here.

Hate to double post, but it's been a while...

D9a7vgiXkAAjaKP?format=jpg&name=medium

Bernadetta seems to have Strengths in Lances and Bows, with weaknesses in Swords, Axes, and Fighting. Armour, sadly, can't be seen. Neither can a hidden talent (though I wonder if it's in flying, with how we have seen her put in the Air Patrol Group Task in a bunch of footage).

Edit: now that there's a clearer look at it, she has a C in Lances, C+ in Bows (almost a B), E+ in Reason, and a D in Authority. The latter two are flat, which suggests she may start with them that way. Likely begins with a D in Bows and E+ in Lances.

Edited by LSM

Ok so according to the new 9 minute video, Ferdinand has no weaknesses. At all. He has Strengths in Swords, Lances, Axes and Riding, as well as a star in Heavy armour. But the man has NO WEAKNESSES. That's got to be the reason behind his ego.

Edited by SpiceMan

From this Famitsu article we can also see that:

• Ashe has Strength in Bows and Axes, Weakness in Reason, and Hidden Talent in Lances.
  • Hilda has Strength in Lances and Axes, Weakness in Faith and Authority. 
  • Petra has Strength in Swords, Axes, and Bows, and Weakness in Reason and Faith.

//

Confirmation of Mercedes being Faith/Reason strong, Swords/Lances/Axes weak, and Bows as a Hidden Talent.

FETH26.thumb.jpg.6517d935d46b5387a952d514e6381a85.jpg

//

Caspar, from the JapanExpo stream:

FETH27.thumb.jpg.23fe886648d9eaf2276e9bb7cb9ba06d.jpg

//

From looking into Seminars:

• Sylvain is Neutral in Brawling.
  • Ingrid is Strong in Swords, Neutral in Brawling.

//

From looking at the Combat Forecasts (and assuming that a student's starting Prowesses must be Strengths), new Strengths to add:

• Annette: Axes
  • Claude: Swords
  • Lorenz: Lances and Reason
  • Lysithea: Reason and Faith
  • Marianne: Swords and Reason
  • Leonie: Lances and Bows

Edited by LSM

• 3 weeks later...

English website update gave us everything on Leonie except her movement skills, Strong in Lance and Bow, Neutral in everything else.

15 minutes ago, Jayvee94 said:

Is it just me or B is currently locked?

Looks like it. Maybe it's locked by month or professor level?

11 hours ago, Jayvee94 said:

I guess it would be Temporarily Capped.

Apparently her current rank is C+, the fading in and out is just there to signify that the next tutoring session will make it B. You see it happen in the "Customize your characters" video on the Characters page, which this shot and the one of Ferdinand beside it come from.
The same happens with Linhardt in the E3 footage, when going from D+ to C.
2CkXUE5.jpg

Edited by Cysx