Known Character Strengths and Weaknesses

Do we know if a characters strengths and weaknesses affect weapon exp from battle or is it just with tutoring?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Azz said:

Do we know if a characters strengths and weaknesses affect weapon exp from battle or is it just with tutoring?

It should affect battles, unless my calculations are wrong.

So Flayn's strengths are Lance and Faith, like I suspected. Her weaknesses are Armor and Riding, which sort of kills her ability to be a Holy Knight....seems like a solid Falcoknight or Gremory though.

1563632808356.jpg

Edited by IzzyFresh

So I'm very sure the Hero Relic for Cethelenn will be a Staff that grants an ultimate Faith magic spell; between both Linhardt and Flayn both have a boon in Faith; unless Seteth is also playable all the way through the game in which case the Relic may be a lance as both Seteth and Flayn have a boon there.

Does that mean she's related to Linhardt?

All those shared crests are weird tbh, Lysithea with Lorenz and Catherine, now Flayn with Linhardt, those people don't look even remotely related, maybe this "crest experimentation" thing is much more common than what we think. Or maybe multiple families can have the same crest, but that's in contrast with what they've told us up until now.

1 minute ago, Modirufa6317 said:

Based on what saint Cethelenn wield and the bonus given by its statue, there's a good chance its relic is a lance with a faith spell/bonus.

I posted a theory on the question thread, that Saint Cathelyn's crest bearers based on the statue could have a faith spell as a relic but that is a nice idea tat I didn't look into, that would make Macuil crest bearers have a sword with reason properties. And also my theory about crests affecting proficiencies could be right. 

2 minutes ago, timon said:

All those shared crests are weird tbh, Lysithea with Lorenz and Catherine, now Flayn with Linhardt, those people don't look even remotely related, maybe this "crest experimentation" thing is much more common than what we think. Or maybe multiple families can have the same crest, but that's in contrast with what they've told us up until now.

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to believe they're related. The only reason Holy Blood wielders looked so similar within families is because they'd only, you know, existed for around a hundred years (barring the obvious.) There's probably been all sorts of intermarriage since Seiros's time. What year is it in the game, anyway? 

4 minutes ago, timon said:

Does that mean she's related to Linhardt?

The crests seem to come from 1000 years before the story, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that two families can share a crest despite not being closely related. Of course, crest experimentation is possible, but it's not the only explanation.

1 minute ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to believe they're related. The only reason Holy Blood wielders looked so similar within families is because they'd only, you know, existed for around a hundred years (barring the obvious.) There's probably been all sorts of intermarriage since Seiros's time. What year is it in the game, anyway? 

The game starts in 1180.

Edited by BastienSoul

27 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I posted a theory on the question thread, that Saint Cathelyn's crest bearers based on the statue could have a faith spell as a relic but that is a nice idea tat I didn't look into, that would make Macuil crest bearers have a sword with reason properties. And also my theory about crests affecting proficiencies could be right. 

But a relic sword with a powerful reason spell would jive pretty well with a Mortal Savant, no? 

Maybe Macuil was even the historical archetype for that class. 

1 hour ago, IzzyFresh said:

So Flayn's strengths are Lance and Faith, like I suspected. Her weaknesses are Armor and Riding, which sort of kills her ability to be a Holy Knight....seems like a solid Falcoknight or Gremory though.

1563632808356.jpg

Holy Knight only requires C in Riding, which is practically nothing by level 30 (and should laos mean that even with E in Riding the chance to pass should still be pretty high). She seems like she'll work fine as either Holy Knight or Gremory. Honestly i think Falcon Knight would be harder what with having to level up Flying so high and also the sword requirement. Also Falcon Knight only plays into one of her strengths while Gremory and Holy Knight plays into two of them.

Just now, NeoAmon said:

But a relic sword with a powerful reason spell would jive pretty well with a Mortal Savant, no? 

Maybe Macuil was even the historical archetype for that class. 

The renown statue has a pointy hat and mage robes but holds a sword. I imagined it could be something like a gremory or a mage.

Well, such a sword would be powerful on most magic users but so far we have not seen anyone weilding said crest.

1 minute ago, Druplesnubb said:

Holy Knight only requires C in Riding, which is practically nothing by level 30 (and should laos mean that even with E in Riding the chance to pass should still be pretty high). She seems like she'll work fine as either Holy Knight or Gremory. Honestly i think Falcon Knight would be harder what with having to level up Flying so high and also the sword requirement. Also Falcon Knight only plays into one of her strengths while Gremory and Holy Knight plays into two of them.

Holy Knight requires A in riding....it requires C in lances. 1oeuLcY.jpg

5 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

The renown statue has a pointy hat and mage robes but holds a sword. I imagined it could be something like a gremory or a mage.

Well, such a sword would be powerful on most magic users but so far we have not seen anyone weilding said crest.

Oh yeah, I forgot we already had a look at the statues, haha. But yeah, considering you're going to put a regular weapon on most mages anyway, I'm sure there's plenty of good ways for us to mash up a magic-sword like that. 

4 hours ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to believe they're related. The only reason Holy Blood wielders looked so similar within families is because they'd only, you know, existed for around a hundred years (barring the obvious.) There's probably been all sorts of intermarriage since Seiros's time.

Well let's even look at some of the playable characters we have in FE4. Holyn and Ayra both have minor Odo blood, but they don't have the same appearances. Moreover, Claud and Sylvia both have Bragi blood but they also look very different. For a third option, let's not forget that Sigurd, Ethlyn, and Oifey all have Baldur holy blood and they look extremely different too.

At the very least this is not entirely new and there is some precedent for it.

Hanneman and Manuela's strengths and weaknesses. Hanneman seams like a solid Dark Knight or even Bow Knight. Manuela seems to be built to be a Dancer, but can also probably be a good Holy Knight or even Falco Knight.

Pretty good bases tbh, if this trend of professors/neutrals keep up there is probably no real reason to recruit anyone outside your house except for just liking a character.

Hanneman's personal skill is Rally Magic, Manuela personal skill gives Crit Avoid +10 to adjacent allies.

1563706484918.jpg

1563704216662.jpg

I do wonder how good professors might be. I would imagine they have fairly meh growths to compensate for their high skill levels bases (like damn Manuela and Hanneman having B in Faith and Reason respectively is fairly high) and seemingly decent bases. 

8 minutes ago, Azz said:

I do wonder how good professors might be. I would imagine they have fairly meh growths to compensate for their high skill levels bases (like damn Manuela and Hanneman having B in Faith and Reason respectively is fairly high) and seemingly decent bases. 

With the Skill levels being Damn High, They function as any other mid-game pre-promotes. Bases and Utility over Growths.

Age: secret made me laugh ngl, it's very much in line with her character.

I'm hyped for Hanneboy, 51 years old is a cool age, it's been a while since the last relevant unit that old. And he looks like a nuker. On the other hand that Reason weakness kind of hinders Manuela's chances as a magic focused unit. Let's hope growth rates are good, even if not as good as students, just please don't make them lag behind (this game will be LONG, just having good bases won't get them anywhere).

Also just noticed, Hanneman has a crest, does someone know if it's shared?

Edited by timon

Do we know yet if unlocking a Talent reverses the Bane? I could imagine maybe if it's neutral before unlocking the talent it would stay neutral but if it was a Bane beforehand it really should become a Boon.

2 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Do we know yet if unlocking a Talent reverses the Bane? I could imagine maybe if it's neutral before unlocking the talent it would stay neutral but if it was a Bane beforehand it really should become a Boon.

It's been confirmed that a blooming talent creates a strength no matter what.

EDIT: found Hanneman's crest, he shares it with Bernadetta (so it's probably major? Since we haven't seen two same minors yet IIRC).

Edited by timon