Special Heroes Appear: Bridal Belonging (May 21 ~)

Coolmanio

I'm less bothered by the concept of Fjorm having a crush on the summoner than I am by the general trend of characters, especially female ones, having a canonical crush on the player stand-in who's supposed to represent me but more often than not represents the straight male crowd. It's been done with pretty much every avatar character, and it is more than just a little tiresome. If she wants to make lovey-dovey faces at someone, go make faces at Alfonse instead.

Also, Fjorm didn't have a plethora of characterization in Book 2, and is barely starting to catch up now with supplemental things. I'd like to see some actual character from her that isn't "I like Kiran". She also wasn't a good choice for this banner in general, and has no reason to be the only OC with two seasonal alts.

Her staff is neat, though. I might try to pull her on a legendary banner if only for staff.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm less bothered by the concept of Fjorm having a crush on the summoner than I am by the general trend of characters, especially female ones, having a canonical crush on the player stand-in who's supposed to represent me but more often than not represents the straight male crowd. It's been done with pretty much every avatar character, and it is more than just a little tiresome. If she wants to make lovey-dovey faces at someone, go make faces at Alfonse instead.

It's there to pander to the Otaku crowd which is something all too common in japanese media nowadays I tend to find(For better or for worse) whatever at least in this case it's relatively harmless unlike with say Camilla or Tharja where it just butchers an otherwise great character. I mean how can you butcher a character if there really wasn't much of a character there to begin with. Sheesh Miyazaki was right there are far too many otaku in this industry.

3 hours ago, Stroud said:

As long as I can see hammer throwing Rinkah this might be forgiven. xD This could count as a Dagger unit. But of course it would be LuCena. 

Are ya sure about that? I'd think she'd rather be a runner, or maybe the swim team, or tennis, or soccer. I think her possibilities are limitless and could be better placed else. Rinkah I don't think has quite the options beyond Track and Field, but she could ace Judo- were it not for Echidna as a competitor. 

I've been wanting to assemble a bunch of summer sports teams of FE characters for fun, but I haven't decided much. Other than Marth = Baseball b/c Japan loves the sport, and Hinoka and Lyn are captains of opposing Soccer/International Football teams, or maybe Lyn is Lacrosse, I can't decide.

I like the idea, much because of these Bravely Second artworks. Another game set in high fantasy, but they made these for some reason to sell SP Potions.:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160903015656latest?cb=20160903015244latest?cb=20170129193442

latest?cb=20160903015107

These and more, but with FE characters, if we're going to get Seasonals, and we will, I'd like this. Still wouldn't summon, but I'd still appreciate it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

44 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

She also wasn't a good choice for this banner in general,

Please explain exactly what makes a character a "good choice" for a wedding-attire-themed banner.

46 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

and has no reason to be the only OC with two seasonal alts.

Someone has to be first.

54 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

To be frank, we have to be thankful that 2 years into the game and with dozens of OCs only one of them has an open crush on the player stand-in. For comparison the game Dragalia Lost who is considered to be better written had a woman with a crush for the player AT LAUNCH. That woman was also a dragon. 

Of course there is also Loki, but I don't think she has a crush on the summoner. I think she is messing with them/us for the heck of it. Trickster indeed.

And even then it would still be only two girls with a crush on the player. Which is nothing compared to other gachas.

Heroes does player pandering and it's fair to complain about it, you should even send feedback if it bothers you, but considering the... type of game it is, there is no way they will drop the player pandering. At best they will not add as much of it as initially planned.

Edited by GrandeRampel

When it comes to player pandering, I'd count Gunnthra, who established a permanent emotional bond (that can only be done once per person, so it's more sanctimonious than marriage) on Kiran. Also Sharena, self-proclaimed head of the Kiran Fan Club. There may not be any romantic undertones to her affection for Kiran but that's definitely pandering to have somebody who likes you that much the day you meet them.

I'm also definitely a little creeped out by these player-stand-in avatar situations in games. If these games had any element of player choice, they'd know how much of a self-sabotaging jackass I can be. But nope, I'm maxed out paragon good guy who also happens to be Askr's most eligible bachelor. What a tiresome role to be playing.

Not too fond of Fjorm this way either. I would rather see Loki and Fjorm truly going for Alfonse, especially Loki and the Alfonse would have had potential in forging bonds. Alfonse who does not trust easily and Loki who is mischievous would have some dynamic. I admit that its also my bias. 

I rather see the characters going lovey dovey with each other and look how their relationships unfold than pandering to the stand in for me. Which is why I am so set on Zeke and Tatiana for this. Nothing could have been better on this one. Welp..
I mean in case of pandering this may be also taking a bit advantage as this goes into something like a compensatory satisfaction, the voices add to this. So while it may not affect us it may affect others. 

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are ya sure about that? I'd think she'd rather be a runner, or maybe the swim team, or tennis, or soccer. I think her possibilities are limitless and could be better placed else. Rinkah I don't think has quite the options, but she could ace Judo- were it not for Echidna as a competitor. 

I've been wanting to assemble a bunch of summer sports teams of FE characters for fun, but I haven't decided much. Other than Marth = Baseball b/c Japan loves the sport, and Hinoka and Lyn are captains of opposing Soccer/International Football teams, or maybe Lyn is Lacrosse, I can't decide.

I like the idea, much because of these Bravely Second artworks. Another game set in high fantasy, but they made these for some reason to sell SP Potions.:

Hmm now that you say it. Wrestling would be more fitting for Rinkah I could honestly imagine that the fire tribe has some sport like this. 

And japan also is one of the countries good in professional wrestling (Careful I mean the other one with entertainment and booking). With NWJP they have quite a big league which is well known. I find it interesting that this kind of wrestling started in Europe but the biggest players are in Mexico, Japan and USA now... while I got a bit into japanese wrestling. With that I could also imagine some characters getting there. xD 
But we have weapons in FEH so it needs to be Hardcore wrestling. Alfonse with a Chair and Sharena with a Ladder as a lance.

Ok, back to other sports. Sadly they would have too look at which sports could fit in FEH. But I guess some would go. Could be a mixed banner and each Region has his own international sports. Maybe they will eventually learn to throw a spear on Player phase. But some horse sport like Polo might be recommended. They need something in their hands to give a thwack.  

Interesting with bravely. So not only FF has sold potions. xD 

Edited by Stroud

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

Also, Fjorm didn't have a plethora of characterization in Book 2, and is barely starting to catch up now with supplemental things. I'd like to see some actual character from her that isn't "I like Kiran". She also wasn't a good choice for this banner in general, and has no reason to be the only OC with two seasonal alts.

Her staff is neat, though. I might try to pull her on a legendary banner if only for staff.

Apparently you must have missed the last 2 Forging Bonds, as she had some significant roles in both of them and neither involved Kiran.

2 minutes ago, Stroud said:

But we have weapons in FEH so it needs to be Hardcore wrestling. Alfonse with a Chair and Sharena with a Ladder as a lance.

That'd work for me! Just remember not to hurt Announcer Anna.

I haven't been keeping apace with Three Houses information, but I believe I heard the game is adding Gauntlets to the weapon lineup. That could be a new and hot thing in FEH, just like Beasts were recently. And unlike Beasts where they can't go back and make old units into them although Black Cat Beruka should be totally possible- MAGIC EXISTS! Use it to make her gain real flesh and blood claws, Seasonals are silly! Gauntlets could be given to anyone.

47 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Please explain exactly what makes a character a "good choice" for a wedding-attire-themed banner.

Anna would've been better if we needed an OC. If not an OC, there are plenty of other characters who do canonically get married or have a spouse and are popular enough to push orbs. Or at the very least, more popular than Fjorm.

19 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Apparently you must have missed the last 2 Forging Bonds, as she had some significant roles in both of them and neither involved Kiran.

No I didn't, which is why I said she was barely starting to catch up in characterization. Implying that there is more than "I like Kiran", but I don't want it to get any bigger than it had already been and don't want them to start regressing her character. Apparently you need to read between the lines.

23 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

there are plenty of other characters who do canonically get married or have a spouse and are popular enough to push orbs.

Corrin has never been to the beach before. Does that disqualify her from getting a swimsuit alt? Xander has never swum before. Does that disqualify him from getting a swimsuit alt? Xander has never been to a bon dance, either. Greil is dead and in his grave.

Edited by Ice Dragon

22 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Anna would've been better if we needed an OC. If not an OC, there are plenty of other characters who do canonically get married or have a spouse and are popular enough to push orbs. Or at the very least, more popular than Fjorm.

I feel that sometimes people miss the point of these banners. It's not about "Finding the characters that canonically fit the theme", it's about "Which characters can we dress in this obviously fanservicey outfits".

It's like complaining that the Hoshidan Summer banners has non-Hoshidans in them.

Here's a question why Fjorm? like seriously if IS wants to pander to the otaku demographic, they sure as hell don't know how to do it right. why choose a character that has about as much personality as a plastic fork? I ask this as a degenerate otaku myself. Like even we have standards. Seriously why not use someone like laevetain who actually fits into a relatively common dere type(That being kuudere) cause there are so many ways to fetishize a kuudere in a way that's both adorable and effective. Or hell use a tsundere. Like if I were to put Fjorm into any dere type it'd be the deredere the most vanilla and boring of them all. Seriously IS really needs to learn how to do this whole otaku pandering thing right.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Here's a question why Fjorm? like seriously if IS wants to pander to the otaku demographic, they sure as hell don't know how to do it right. why choose a character that has about as much personality as a plastic fork? I ask this as a degenerate otaku myself. Like even we have standards. Seriously why not use someone like laevetain who actually fits into a relatively common dere type(That being kuudere) cause there are so many ways to fetishize a kuudere in a way that's both adorable and effective. Or hell use a tsundere. Like if I were to put Fjorm into any dere type it'd be the deredere the most vanilla and boring of them all. Seriously IS really needs to learn how to do this whole otaku pandering thing right.

As opposed to who? Severa, who also has as much personality as a plastic fork?

34 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

As opposed to who? Severa, who also has as much personality as a plastic fork?

You know I'm not mad just disappointed. You speak with the high general of the tsundere battalion in the great waifu war and I will not tolerate such slander to spoken in my presence! Such a naive fool as yourself could never truly understand the ways of true tsundere perfection and that weakness will cost you this war one day. Good day to you sir. 

Edit: This is the kind of bullshit my brain vomits out when I'm bored

Edited by Ottservia

45 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Xander has never swum before. Does that disqualify him from getting a swimsuit alt?

But wasn't there Japan-only swimsuit DLC for Fates? Close enough. When did Chrom, Gaius, Tharja, and Cordelia actually go for a swim in Awakening's beachside DLC?

47 minutes ago, Jave said:

It's like complaining that the Hoshidan Summer banners has non-Hoshidans in them.

Though for that, they couldn't say "Japanese Summer", since Japan doesn't exist in FE. They could have said "Eastern" or "Oriental" (without it meaning Fu Manchu Orientalism), but they didn't. Hoshido is FE's only Japan expy so far, so they used that phrasing, which has its issues.

11 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

You know I'm not mad just disappointed. You speak with the high general of the tsundere battalion in the great waifu war and I will not tolerate such slander to spoken in my presence! Such a naive fool as yourself could never truly understand the ways of true tsundere perfection and that weakness will cost you this war one day. Good day to you sir. 

But isn't getting mad, possibly to the point you smack someone on the neck to the point they're sore and stuck in a position like Ferkut's for a day, part of the archetype?

And good luck with an army of one! Hope it starts growing larger for you!

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But isn't getting mad, possibly to the point you smack someone on the neck to the point they're sore and stuck in a position like Ferkut's for a day, part of the archetype?

And good luck with an army of one! Hope it starts growing larger for you!

Eh tsunderes are complicated(explains why 90% of them are garbage but ehh).The waifu wars never stop. They never stop. This is the kind of bullshit my brain vomits out when I'm bored

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

For comparison the game Dragalia Lost who is considered to be better written had a woman with a crush for the player AT LAUNCH. That woman was also a dragon. 

There is a significant difference between the avatars in Heroes and Dragalia. All conversation directed at Kiran feels like it is supposed to be spoken directly to the player. Even though Dragalia's avatar, Euden takes on the player's name, his image actually appears during conversations, and he speaks quite a lot of dialogue resulting in a distinct personality. Robin from Awakening is a far more apt comparison than Kiran.

10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Eh tsunderes are complicated(explains why 90% of them are garbage but ehh).The waifu wars never stop. They never stop. This is the kind of bullshit my brain vomits out when I'm bored

You're not the only one who puts out rubbish in their wasted free time, did you see that wall o' text I put out on a Loki = tragic Xane earlier? 

And speaking of slag heaps, hope my WYBO entry isn't a bother for you.

Now if you excuse me, I don't know what these "waifu wars" are that you speak of, but I have to take a jello shot off of a decapitated Summer Xander having just looked at his Fates Beach DLC artwork. I removed the head since his, and all the heads for the guys, were drawn so poorly despite everything else being good.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And speaking of slag heaps, hope my WYBO entry isn't a bother for you.

It isn''t and I apologize for not reviewing it. I just kind of forgot sorry. I promise not to forget this time.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You're not the only one who puts out rubbish in their free time, did you see that wall o' text I put out on a Loki = tragic Xane earlier? 

No but it sounds interesting now.

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It isn''t and I apologize for not reviewing it. I just kind of forgot sorry. I promise not to forget this time.

To be honest, my first my pure expose done poorly. A real shoddy first attempt inspired by a game I like and this character theme (I think the composer also did Attack on Titan if you've seen the anime) from it, lyrics posted right here:

Spoiler

Lyrics

Ein großer Baum breitet seine Äste zum Himmel aus
Er blickt zu den Sternen auf,
wie wenn er dich sehr vermisste

Die blühende Erde verströmt ihren Duft in den Himmel
Sie blickt zu den Sternen auf,
wie wenn sie einen Stern suchte, in dem du bist

※
Ãœbers endlose Sternenzelt muss du reisen
Ich liege und spüre die Wärme der Erde
Wenn ein Stern vorbei fliegt,
denke ich an dich
Seit wann ist der Himmel so fern?

※※
Der Himmel hat den Baum und die Erde reden hören
Er bringt sanften Regen,
damit ein Regenbogen erscheint

※※※
Wenn der Baum dort die Wurzeln breitet aus,
trägt er meine Seele und Erinnerung
Wenn der Wind immer noch unaufhörlich bläst,
bringt er dir meinen Traum

※※※※
Wenn der Baum dort die Wurzeln breitet aus,
treibt er himmelblaue Blüten
Wenn der Wind die Blüten freundlich zerstreut
verfließen der Himmel und die Erde

repeat ※ 
repeat ※※※ 
repeat ※※※※ 
repeat ※※

English translation

A large tree stretches its branches towards the sky
It is looking to the stars
as if it was deeply longing for you

The flowering Earth scatters its scents towards the sky
It is looking to the stars
as if it was looking for a star, within which you are

Beyond the endless canopy of stars you must travel
I lie down and feel the warmth of Earth
Whenever a star passes by
I think of you
Since when is the sky so far?

The sky heard the tree and the Earth talking
It brought gentle rain
so that a rainbow would appear

When the tree spreads it roots at that place
it carries my soul and memories
When the wind still blows endlessly
it will bring my dream to you

When the tree spreads it roots at that place
it will bear blossoms as blue as the sky
When the wind scatters the blossoms in a friendly way
the sky and the Earth will flow together

My entry for this my second time is hopefully much better, if very long. Should be more readable.

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No but it sounds interesting now.

It was just an expanded joke really. I took it seriously, but it's still just a joke, not an actual hypothesis I'm arguing. And the very end I think I rushed though.

5 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Speaking of Fjorm, anyone wondering why she's completely absent in scenes with the Order of Heroes? 

You mean in the story modes?

I imagine a lot of that has to do with writers not caring.

10 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah, it feels like IS was pushing her into spotlight for any cost necessary in story mode even neglectinf other OGs, yet did nothing with her in the end. Her crushing after summoner was just final nail in coffin for me. 

16 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

>Suggesting Erk and Serra over Erk and Priscilla

HEATHEN

Suggesting Serra x Erk over Serra x Oswin. Why choose boy when you can have the MAN? 

That said, as much as I want see Oswin in tuxedo, we know there is couple that deserve it even more and I will say it this and every year until we get it. Matthew and Leila. 

12 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Anna would've been better if we needed an OC. If not an OC, there are plenty of other characters who do canonically get married or have a spouse and are popular enough to push orbs.

First of all I think an OC was necessary. You have no idea how many people I saw that said Fjorm was the only character they knew and cared about on this banner. It's the price for putting very secondary characters on the banner, you need to compensate with someone everyone knows. I do agree that Anna or Sharena would have been a better choice.

Second, I disagree with you on the topic of putting only couples on this banner. We already have MarthXCaeda, PentXLouise and half of EliwoodXNinian (plus half of LynXFlorina). If they picked only the characters that make sense for the theme it would be boring and predictable and we wouldn't have stuff like Tanith saying "don't mind the outfit, focus on the battle".

IMHO for the next Bridal Banner the best option would be a single couple again (Quan and Ethlyn pls) and the rest of the characters having nothing to do with marriage. Like Groom Narcian.

10 hours ago, Tree said:

There is a significant difference between the avatars in Heroes and Dragalia. All conversation directed at Kiran feels like it is supposed to be spoken directly to the player. Even though Dragalia's avatar, Euden takes on the player's name, his image actually appears during conversations, and he speaks quite a lot of dialogue resulting in a distinct personality. Robin from Awakening is a far more apt comparison than Kiran.

True, but that means that the avatar of Heroes is sucky and should be written better. It doesn't mean that this kind of pandering isn't widespread in gacha games and as such completely expected to be in Heroes too.