What non-lords would make better lords than the actual one(s) for their game?

More or less every one of the royals would make a more worthy Lord than Corncob since they're legit royalty of their kingdoms who have actually fought with their subjects and seen their struggle. Instead of being stuck in fort for most of life.

The best lord for Fates would be Mozu. Unironically.

Think about it: her story would be the perfect setup for the classic hero's journey: a person from a small village ignorant to the evils of the world until said home gets destroyed by undead things created by an enemy kingdom, has to set out to stop whatever destroyed their home. The story writes itself, really.
The fact that both the Hoshidan and Nohrian royals would fade into obscurity is an added bonus. They get smashed into my face enough as it is, I REALLY don't need them as protagonists.

Come to think of it, you could make a similar case for Ross, Lute or Artur in the Sacred Stones.

I'll second Shiida or Minerva as the protags of Shadow Dragon.
As an aside, I prefer the non-characters in Shadow Dragon to the hot messes that some other casts have been. Not naming any names, but if you know me, you'll probably know which ones I'm talking about.

The most (and honestly only) interesting part of FE7's story is the Black Fang arc along with the redemption story of Nino and Jaffar, so Nino as protagonist is a no-brainer. I'd like to see that just to spite people, honestly.
Or, if you want to invoke dank memes, you could make Dorcas the protagonist. It wouldn't be the worst choice, either, to be honest.

I just now realized that most of my suggestions would drastically change the stories of their respective games. In some cases *coughFatesunconvincingcoughFE7coughcough* - sorry, got something in my throat -, that actually wouldn't be a bad thing, I think.

• 1 month later...

Emmeryn would have made a pretty good Lord character for Awakening. I've always felt that Emmeryn kinda just...walked to her death, both literally and plot-wise. Having Emmeryn as the Lord, you could see her going through her struggles on what she needs to do to end the war against Plegia. She could attempt to commit suicide to stop the war, but you would convince her to find another way, eventually resulting in the death of one of her dearest friends. She stops playing passively, and as you go through each war you could see the pain she goes through making each decisions — knowing that no matter which side wins, one side faces countless casualties. She would transform from an indecisive ruler to a proper QUEEN.
Hell, this would actually help justify the Child system too. With each 2nd Gen unit having faced war in their own ways, Emmeryn's philosophy about war being a terrible thing would continuously justify itself despite her current decisions. The pain of war the child units bring would clash with the necessity of war with Valm invading, and Emmeryn would finally grow as a proper ruler who knows the difference between attaining peace and just twiddling her thumbs.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

On 5/27/2019 at 6:43 AM, fiver said:

i kinda hate to say this because I love roy, but lilina. Lilina is probably my favorite fire emblem character. she's a well written magical girl who's kind and well mannered who you can't help but like. as the heir of Lycia I feel like she actually bears more importance than roy. I wish there was a mage fighter class in fe6 that let her wield the Durandal lol

I do wonder about the politics behind the Lycian army and others, considering Lilina would be one of the political leaders of the alliance after Hector dies. I wouldn't mind seeing an Echoes version where Lilina takes the helm on certain chapters (or alternately, if Roy dies during the main story as an DLC)...

4 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

(or alternately, if Roy dies during the main story as an DLC)...

Lilina getting spotlight is great but it'd be sad if it was because of this :<