Serenes Emblem Discussion Thread (CHARACTER ROSTER IS FINALIZED)

Sub Zero

Details:

Name (At the moment): Serenes Emblem

Progress: Ideas and Brainstorming stage

Is it going smoothly?: So far, yes!

If you want to hop in, say so. If you want to hop out, say so. This is still in the brainstorming stage of development, so none of the game has been made yet. This hopefully will smooth out and become a full, bustling project, and result in a great game.

I plan to put love and passion into this game, and hopefully you're planning the same. 

Let's make it happen!

Best of luck,

Duke Nukem

Edited by Joshii

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like fun! Good luck dude.

14 minutes ago, Joshii said:

So, I know this is out of the ordinary, but I'm indeed planning to make a Fire Emblem like game involving you guys, at least, the people that volunteer. This will take a long time to develop and will take a ton of effort. So if that's something you don't want, DO NOT volunteer. So far, I need ideas, on the story, how the characters will be introduced into the story and how will they get into the game (someone doing the art or sprites unless someone has a suggestion that will no doubt be better than mine.) and the time period that the game will be in. (During which of the FE eras, Marth's, Awakening's, Tellius', etc.) Advice is appreciated. Hopefully this will come to fruition.  

(During which of the FE eras, Marth's, Awakening's, Tellius', etc.)

Which game is your favorite? It would be best to build off that... I had an idea for a story taking place after Awakening (my favorite game).

2 minutes ago, Joshii said:

So, I know this is out of the ordinary, but I'm indeed planning to make a Fire Emblem like game involving you guys, at least, the people that volunteer. This will take a long time to develop and will take a ton of effort. So if that's something you don't want, DO NOT volunteer. So far, I need ideas, on the story, how the characters will be introduced into the story and how will they get into the game (someone doing the art or sprites unless someone has a suggestion that will no doubt be better than mine.) and the time period that the game will be in. (During which of the FE eras, Marth's, Awakening's, Tellius', etc.) Advice is appreciated. Hopefully this will come to fruition.  

I can help with story related needs. I like your idea and it sounds fun.

First thing I want to adress/suggest is to NOT put this game in any timelines, starting on something fresh is better.

I too suggest not setting this in any existing Fire Emblem timelines.

But what I would be more concerned about for this proposed game are the practical aspects.  Such as what software you intend to use to make it.  SRPG Studio?  FEBuilder?  What gameplay mechanics you want, such as Capturing and/or new weapon types, are also important to consider.

At any rate, this forum is very diverse in terms of what gameplay mechanics people like and dislike.

(Oh, I should probably add that this thread might be best off in the Concepts subforum.)

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Sounds fun! I can maybe help you out on the story or character front. I'm sadly not much of a programmer or spriter, so that's the only thing I could contribute. But I'd be willing to do so.

46 minutes ago, Nym said:

First thing I want to adress/suggest is to NOT put this game in any timelines, starting on something fresh is better.

I'd echo this sentiment, honestly.
This is pretty obvious, but you have a lot more freedom in what you can do story-wise if you make it an original work. Basing something in an already established timeline carries the risk of clashing pretty hard with the source material and of course will invite (mostly unfavorable) comparisons to said source material.

Edited by DragonFlames

If this isn't set in any of the FE settings, where would it be set then? I actually think choosing one of the FE settings would be an easier way to go.

I don't know how much help I could be in this, but it might be fun! You can make my character a cavalier knight with lances and swords and I can also give you a mug and sprites to use that I made a long time ago. :)

d4n6xww-6f5f8b59-0bae-4125-9505-c1f3ede0

Oh, looks like I actually forgot to make a lance version. >_< Well, that won't be too hard. Anyway, the specific class line here is Sword Knight -> Sword Paladin -> Gold Knight from Tellius. She doesn't have to be a major character if you don't want. I don't mind if she takes a bit of a backseat in the plot.

Edited by Anacybele

Hmm, this sounds familiar. Well, I'm sure someone years ago has probably tried to do something like this...

Anyway, sounds like fun. I would like to help on something like this.

This is quite an ambitious idea and in my experience of being in a team developing games and developing games by myself, you'll benefit a lot if you have a place to bounce ideas around and exchange feedback and critique that's not just within a thread on a forum. Having an active community will help you a lot in keeping yourself and others motivated because it's very easy for that passion and eagerness to die out. 

It's all fun and games when you have a fun idea for a game you want to make, but it's a whole other playing field if you want to actually delve into developing it. Sorry if this comes off as being too serious and you should have fun with it, but know that making a game and potentially having people be a part of it carries a lot of weight. 

Edited by carefreejules

TBH, this is something I've always wanted to do.

My idea involved following Vincentasm getting kicked out of his castle by Integrity and Eclipse and needs our help to overthrow Integrity's tyrannical rule.

So... are you basing characters off of us?

Make mine a very pale ginger mercenary with a skinny build. He is surprisingly quite smart and has a great memory (except when it comes to names), but he has high-functioning autism; causing a number of issues:

• Struggles with communication. Never sure whether he's using the right words or phrasing to explain/describe stuff, and sometimes his explanations just confuse people.
  • He makes logical steps that seem perfectly sound to him, but seem like leaps in logic to others.
  • Has trouble with tone. 
  • Struggles to learn social skills. 

I ask because I would really like to see high-functioning autism actually portrayed well in something. So many shows and movies get it completely wrong.

In regards to the setting and timeline, may I suggest that you make the game's setting from scratch, rather than using a pre-existing FE continent? It will be more difficult at first because you have to come up with more stuff, but the added creative freedom will actually make story and worldbuilding easier in the long-run. Feel free though to base some locations and stuff off of FE kingdoms and such to make it easier.

As far as gameplay is concerned, make sure that it has the core gameplay + something unique; something different, and build on that something different in the story and the worldbuilding. I like to call this the Legend of Zelda principle: give each game its own quirk and build on it (Majora's Mask had the race against time, Wind Waker had sailing, Ocarina of Time had the seven-year time travel, etc.). 

First off, I want in on this.

Second off, I’d like to be a Mage. If possible, if promotion mechanics allow such, I might have access to Mage Fighter.

Maybe do a weapon triangle like this.

Sword & Dark -> Axe & Anima -> Lance & Light -> Sword and Dark

Someone had an idea for this originally; I’ll try to find the source sometime, or maybe someone else can find it.

Ideas are well and good, but from experience I find that concepts and ideas mean little in the long run. What most people seem to care about is just the results (the finished product) and not so much the stuff that happens beforehand. You can have the entire blueprint of a game in your hands (script, dialogues, gameplay mechanics, etc.) but it means almost nothing if it is not actually implemented in an actual product.

Game design means little. It's the programmers, artists, and composers that get the most attention. Seeing an idea actively implemented and working will get generate far more interest than fleshed-out concepts. In other words, the plan doesn't matter as much as its execution.

Game development is not a sprint, it's a marathon. The passion is there during the concept stage and perhaps early implementation. As time passes, enthusiasm can falter and it either leads to burnout or a "let's just get this done" mindset.

That said, here are some of my suggestions...

1. Figure out how the game will be developed. Is it a "modded" GBA game that features Serenes Forest members? Is it even a Fire Emblem game? SRPG Studio? Determining the platform of the game will help contributors decide if they can help out, as well as decide the direction the game will go.

2. I also support the idea of keeping this "Serenes Forest" title separate from main canon. Create its own universe, or make it a spinoff in the vein of FE:Warriors if you want Fire Emblem characters to also appear.
2A. This also calls into question who the antagonists will be. Will the bad guys be OCs, be Serenes Forest members, or classic Fire Emblem villains?

3. If I were to be added in the game, I would like to be a prepromote Great Knight. I'll probably end up joining near the mid-to-end of the game to carry unlucky players.

8 minutes ago, Sire said:

2A. This also calls into question who the antagonists will be. Will the bad guys be OCs, be Serenes Forest members, or classic Fire Emblem villains?

This is also something to think hard about and approach carefully.  Who is the villain going to be?  A fictional entity?  A banned user?  A willing mod?

This sounds interesting, but I'd say this: Make a Discord. It'll make planning and discussion go faster and easier.

19 minutes ago, Sire said:

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

This is also something to think hard about and approach carefully.  Who is the villain going to be?  A fictional entity?  A banned user?  A willing mod?

I thought about the options for a bit and each have their ups and downs: 

OCs antagonists: The "safest" option as I would call it, but it would also require more efforts since you would need to give them a design, personnality, motivation, class, etc.

SF members: If someone is willing to have that role, sure. We would still require to give them all the things that I mentionned above but the person could guide us to create the antagonists as they see themselve to be.

Existing Fire Emblem characters: Not a bad idea but there's a few things to keep in mind. First if we don't add that story to a current game timeline, we would need a reason for their presence here. Outrealms? Doppelganger? Also I know this is very early to talk about this, if Joshii plans to make a game that everyone here can play, we wouldn't Nitendo to do what they did to Pokémon Uranium.

Bad idea for banned users, we don't have their permission in the first place.

Not sure about mods, they should have a protective role or something. Pre-promotes?

I don't want to stop you from trying if you really think you can do it, but I feel like I should give you fair warning: projects like these basically never actually come to fruition. It's a lot of ambition but not nearly enough motivation. This exact idea has been tried on this forum more than once already but never got too far. You will absolutely need a team of dedicated people who have the skills necessary to make it happen, and trust me, that's not easy, especially when everyone is expected to work as a volunteer.

Again, I don't want to just tell you to stop, but really think of the logistics of this first. It's a lot more work than you might think.

@Florete I appreciate the caution, and I also don't expect this to happen but I will do whatever I can to make this work. I want this to happen, and I understand the dangers and shortcomings of the failures before me. This has been my passion for years, and it will take more than "I don't have time" or "I don't know what to do" to bring me down. 

Duke Nukem

Well, this seems like it could be cool. I worry that it might peter out, but I also hope that it remains nothing more than a worry.

I agree with several of the others, you should not try to put yourself into a specific existing FE setting, not when you're doing an otherwise creative project. If you were intending to do a fan pre/se-quel, then it'd be expected. But if you're inventing characters/story/etc, then it doesn't make sense to try and force yourself into an existing world. Plus, even if it is a not-for-profit parody/adaptation, there's still lots of potential issues that come from explicitly using somebody else's work without their permission. In general, the benefit of having an existing foundation for your setting isn't worth the extra work involved in fixing the problems that come with such a foundation.

I'm more than happy to help with character/setting/lore/etc ideas if you like, and if you are actually wanting to make the game "Characters based off of SF users", I have no qualms about being a villain/antagonist (or good guy/side character/etc). Gimme a few hours to piss off Eclipse or Integrity first if you want me to be a baddie though

I can't really contribute anything when it comes to coding, but I can offer help with any writing, especially lore and politics. 

If you'd let me be in the game, I'd appreciate being a cav/pal (maybe even with a brave lance). I can make a sprite and outline dialogue if it gets to that point.

This could turn out really well.

This sounds fun and complex.

I don't see ''Fire Emblem Timeline'' as a good idea, though. More Original=Better, if you ask me.

While my help isn't big deal, I would love to contribute in any way if it's ever possible. Even if it its just Listing what type of characters everyone (participating) wants or...simple motivation. The only thing I can't really contribute is Map/Event designer (I really suck at that) and Text (because my English sucks too).

(Ok, less serious stuff now:)

Mods as the evil guys.

I don't mind at all to either have little plot for my character or not appearing at all. But you can make me the ''Necessary Boring Character'', like a Knight.  (If the stats are based from our real self's, then I can be ''+DEF, +RES/-SKL, -LCK''. Just don't give me a Bow, Horse or anything that flies, for the love of God)

Edited by BergelomeuSantos

First off, I appreciate all of the positive reinforcement.

Secondly, yes, I want to do the "mods are the bad guys" thing. If that's ok with them, which I'm sure it is.

For example:

@Integrity

@eclipse

Thirdly, who wants to be in this game and what class do you want to be? I'll do a list later on in this topic when I get at least 8-10 characters (8 preferably) Thank you for all the positive comments guys, I promise you all that I won't let you down.

"But Mario! JOSHI'S COMPETING!"

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, this sounds familiar. Well, I'm sure someone years ago has probably tried to do something like this...

Several years ago there was a plan to do something similar to this for the Hi, Hey, Hello thread. I don't think anyone so much as opened Nightmare.

Anyway yeah probably decide between SRPG studio or a GBA romhack early on though if you have, like, a specific gameplay vision, that'd be good and should help you make your choice.

Another reason to not use an existing Fire Emblem setting is because this idea is inherently goofy and meta, and the Fire Emblem games at least pretend to have dramatic stakes, so it'd be at odds with itself.

If none of the moderators agree to be antagonists, I'd like to submit my application for main villain.

5 minutes ago, Joshii said:

First off, I appreciate all of the positive reinforcement.

Secondly, yes, I want to do the "mods are the bad guys" thing. If that's ok with them, which I'm sure it is.

For example:

@Integrity

@eclipse

Thirdly, who wants to be in this game and what class do you want to be? I'll do a list later on in this topic when I get at least 8-10 characters (8 preferably) Thank you for all the positive comments guys, I promise you all that I won't let you down.

Once again, Discord server.  Do it.  That way we can all provide input in a more focused manner, especially for who wants to be what class.  I'd be glad to help out a bit.

Hmm, being a character would not be a bad thing to do. I'd be down for it. As for class... I suppose a dark magic using class. Would say specifics but I don't know what kind of system you'll use here.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Several years ago there was a plan to do something similar to this for the Hi, Hey, Hello thread. I don't think anyone so much as opened Nightmare.

Oh, I think I vaguely recall that one. Also signed up for that one I did. Well, that was that.