Serenes Emblem Discussion Thread (CHARACTER ROSTER IS FINALIZED)

Sub Zero

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay, that just leaves a Pegasus Rider, a Dragon Rider, and some type of refresher unit that we need.

That said, I've noticed almost the entire playable cast so far is male.  Right now eclipse and Anacybele are the only two female characters in the playable cast alongside AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life's stand-in.  A little disappointing, but on the upside that means a wider variety of custom animations I'll be able to use since many of the better ones are male-only for some inexplicable reason.

I was going to let others take part but I suppose if you still have room at this point and need women I can throw in. I don't too much mind what role, but from those 3 I'd take refresher.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not too late to join in

Username: thecrimsonflash

name: Crimson

Class: Manakete is preferable if there is room for two dragons

as for other possible contributions, one thing that I always hated about shifters in older FEs is that they are always heavily restricted in their usage, my advice in general would be to try to balance them to not be broken from very early on and also reliable methods to keep them going.

I am also curious about how you feel about summoning, I think it can add an interesting way to add guest accounts to the game.

This sounds really cool, I’d love to be a part of this!

Can’t really offer much in the way of game development, nor am I a particularly talented writer (but writing is pretty much all I’d be able to help with haha)

As for my actual character:

Username: Anathaco

Character name: Anathaco

Class: If this is possible to pull off, a villager class might be interesting (I’m a fairly new member, so I guess it fits). If not, I dislike Pegasus knights with a passion, and it’d be kinda funny to have my character in that class and suffering because of it.

Well, guys, now that the poll has been pushed off the front pages's Newest Topics list, I think it's safe to consider the poll just about over from this point.  I think I'm going to just stick with my current class system and add in shapeshifting classes and Weapon Ranks.  I think I'm going to remove the S-Rank Tomes completely since the A-Rank Tomes preceding them (Nosferatu, Bolting, Glower) should be unique enough in function to complement the stat bonuses given by the S-Rank physical weapons.

Here's the new weapon and item scheme for those interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gnOUgSIHT6jUVdiKhz8-UDv7h6LNlfcXwSkqry6sLMY/edit?usp=sharing

I could fill in as a dragon rider.

Name: Hadouken

yall can decide on the rest of the details for the character. my fav wyv/dragon riders are Glen & Haar so personality could be based on them

Sweet!  I think that's almost all the unpromoted classes covered!

Actually, we still don't have any playable Lance or Axe Armors (though Eclipse's Moderator class will probably be similar to an Axe Armor), but those can probably be made available via reclassing.  @Joshii I'll leave it up to you to decide if we have enough playable characters or not.

13 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

That said, I've noticed almost the entire playable cast so far is male.  Right now eclipse and Anacybele are the only two female characters in the playable cast alongside AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life's stand-in.  A little disappointing, but on the upside that means a wider variety of custom animations I'll be able to use since many of the better ones are male-only for some inexplicable reason.

I don't have any issues with being a female character if we're still short on female characters.

2 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think I'm going to remove the S-Rank Tomes completely since the A-Rank Tomes preceding them (Nosferatu, Bolting, Glower) should be unique enough in function to complement the stat bonuses given by the S-Rank physical weapons.

I mean, yeah, they're pretty unique compared to each other, but isn't it a bit weird for Tomes to only go to A and physical weapons to go to S? Idk, I assume it won't really be a major gameplay issue since S weapons usually only show up in the very endgame, are unique, etc, but it just feels a bit weird.

Other notes: I do like third tier classes, but there's no point to them if the game isn't going to be long enough to make use of them, and it really needs a game with 35 or 40+ levels imo before third tiers become important to have. As a somewhat random fan game, I don't think it'll end up nearly long enough for that.

Also, in your poll, I have no clue what you meant by "Class Schemes", other than maybe the separation of Armors and Mages into weapon types.

@Von Ithipathachai So we have 26 playable characters so far, so yeah, I believe we have enough.

But in case of some last minute join ins, I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon. 

So around 5:00 EDT

Edited by Joshii

14 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Maybe @Rezzy wouldn't mind, she always said she wanted to be Jagen Sage if I recall correctly.

Edited by Nym

26 is around what sacred stones has, but there are several fe games with 40+, so character number I think is pretty flexible if anyone else wants to join

14 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

you can put me down as female, I generally keep my sex hidden anyways.

Just gonna post my musing here in addition to the poll since I was a bit late.
- - - - -
Class Promotions - Traditional is amazing for its simplicity and being true to Fire Emblem, but my desired class (Great Knight) technically comes from a branching path. Typically we have Cavaliers (Sword, Lance) -> Paladins. One way to get around this is to create a new "Axe Cavalier" class that promotes to Great Knight.

Then again, I was hoping to be a late-game prepromote anyway (starting off as a Great Knight), so a Tier 1 equivalent may not be needed. However, if Great Knights will not work in the system, I suppose I could change my class to "Bard" and become the refresher of the group. I envision the character to be like Bastian from Tellius, speaking with Shakespearean flair. (Just remember, Great Knight is still preferred over Bard for my character.)

Class Schemes - While I love the 3 Tier system of Tellius, I believe it brings unnecessary complexity and "fluff." So, I'll go with the standard 2-Tier system of the GBA games.

STR / MAG Split - While I personally prefer them split, it really doesn't matter to me. Echoes did fine with just having a single stat affect both.

Skill System - While I get the Telluis love, I wonder what exactly is meant by "3DS Skills." I'm assuming this is the Awakening/Fates equivalent and not Shadows of Valentia. FatesAwakening focused on classes giving out skills, with a personal skill being added in Fates. SoV focused on weapons providing skills, and they cost HP to use.
Personally, I prefer the 3DS games over Tellius, but wouldn't mind seeing SoV skills implemented instead.

Slim / Heavy Weapons - I know Slim weapons were normally shared with the first tier and the Tellius games having "heavy" weapon equivilants for each tier (Silver Lance -> Silver Greatlance, Steel Sword -> Steel Blade, etc.) I sorta see it as extra fluff, but don't mind their inclusion/exclusion.

Daggers - Gotta go with Tellius on this one, with Daggers being melee and Knives being ranged. I disliked Fates expanded weapon triangle.

Trinity of Magic - Gonna go GBA on this one with the classic Light, Dark, and Anima. // As an aside, I wouldn't mind if we took the SoV approach to magic, where everyone basically had low RES and Magic was extremely deadly. Granted, magic was somewhat balanced due to their HP cost since they were skills, but still.

For other news, can we see the current pool of characters and their classes? An organized list would be a nice reference for newcomers who want to expand the roster.

If we have around 26 playable characters and are aiming for around 25-30 chapters (outside of the possible prototype chapter), then the roster may large enough. There doesn't need to be a new recruit each chapter as some may be added to the party in sets.

1. Sire - Great Knight (Male)

2. MegaTheGamer - Mage Knight (Male)

3. Tuvy2 - Pirate (Male)

4. Tuvy - Pirate (Male)

5. Anacybele - Cavalier (Female)

6. Vanguard333 - Mercenary (Male)

7. Azure In A Roundabout - Mage (Male)

8. Brave Lance - Cavalier (Male)

9. BergelomeuSantos - Soldier (Male)

10. Acacia Sgt. - Dark Mage (Male)

11. Alatartheblue42 - Sword Armor (Female)

12. Lightchao42 - Bishop (Male)

13. eclipse - Moderator (resembles an Axe Armor) (Female)

14. AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life - Manakete (Female)

15. Integrity - Moderator (Or Admin) (Male)

16. Pengaius - Bow Cavalier (Male)

17. GreatKnightEcho - Priest (Male)

18. Me (Joshii) - Thief (Male)

19. Vonnie - Priest (Male)

20. VincentASM - Admin (Male)

21. Nym - Therian (Male)

22. Fiver - Archer (Male)

23. Anathaco - Pegasus Rider (Female)

24. Thecrimsonflash - Manakete (Female)

25. Florete - Dancer (Female)

26. LMDHad0uken - Dragon Rider (Male)

27. Rezzy - Sage (Female)

Some of these are guesswork, like VincentASM and Integrity (since they haven't volunteered to my knowledge), but the others I know for sure.

If I got this right it'll be a goddamn sausagefest..

Edited by Joshii

1 minute ago, Joshii said:
  1. Sire - Great Knight

2. MegaTheGamer - Mage Knight

3. Tuvy2 - Pirate

4. Tuvy - Pirate

5. Anacybele - Cavalier

6. Vanguard333 - Mercenary

7. Azure In A Roundabout - Mage

8. Brave Lance - Cavalier

9. BergelomeuSantos - Soldier

10. Acacia Sgt. - Dark Mage

11. Alatartheblue42 - Sword Armor

12. Lightchao42 - Bishop

13. eclipse - Moderator (resembles an Axe Armor)

14. AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life - Manakete

15. Integrity - Moderator (Or Admin)

16. Pengaius - Bow Cavalier

17. GreatKnightEcho - Priest

18. Me (Joshii) - Thief

19. Vonnie - Priest

20. VincentASM - Admin

21. Nym - Therian

22. Fiver - Archer

23. Anathaco - Pegasus Rider

24. Thecrimsonflash - Manakete

25. Florete - Dancer

26. LMDHad0uken - Dragon Rider

Some of these are guesswork, like VincentASM and Integrity (since they haven't volunteered to my knowledge), but the others I know for sure.

Each character's gender also needs to be added.

Gonna reorganize the list for my reference, it's in the spoiler. I may be missing a few things and made some mistakes though.

Spoiler

Vanguard333 - Mercenary
BergelomeuSantos - Soldier

Tuvy2 - Pirate
Tuvy - Pirate

Me (Joshii) - Thief
Fiver - Archer
Florete - Dancer

Nym - Therian (Beast?)

AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life - Manakete [Female]
Thecrimsonflash - Manakete [Female]

Azure In A Roundabout - Mage
Acacia Sgt. - Dark Mage

GreatKnightEcho - Priest
Vonnie - Priest

Alatartheblue42 - Sword Armor

Anacybele - Cavalier [Female]
Brave Lance - Cavalier
Pengaius - Bow Cavalier

Anathaco - Pegasus Rider
LMDHad0uken - Dragon Rider

- - - - -

Lightchao42 - Bishop

Sire - Great Knight

MegaTheGamer - Mage Knight

VincentASM - Admin

Integrity - Moderator (Or Admin)
eclipse - Moderator (resembles an Axe Armor) [Female]

So, "story-wise" I'm guessing we are pitting the members against the Admins / Moderators. Will we have a "Lord" character, or will it simply start out as a group of random members adventuring together?

26 minutes ago, Sire said:

Gonna reorganize the list for my reference, it's in the spoiler. I may be missing a few things and made some mistakes though.

So, "story-wise" I'm guessing we are pitting the members against the Admins / Moderators. Will we have a "Lord" character, or will it simply start out as a group of random members adventuring together?

How the story will go will probably depend on how many moderators/admins are willing to appear in the game in some capacity.  For the proof of concept demo I'm planning on just having Eclipse as the main character as she and her band of knights work together to save a village from Pengaius's Butter Bandits.

The proof of concept demo probably will not have the full cast seen above.  I'll probably include Nym, at least one Manakete (probably Crimson), Joshii, myself, Eclipse, and anyone else who'll complete a well-rounded party.  Also Pengaius as the boss, obviously.  Characters' stats may also differ from the final game.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

20 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

How the story will go will probably depend on how many moderators/admins are willing to appear in the game in some capacity.  For the proof of concept demo I'm planning on just having Eclipse as the main character as she and her band of knights work together to save a village from Pengaius's Butter Bandits.

You know I had a strange idea a few days ago.

What if the bad guys were the FE youtubers. I have watch plenty of them, Heroes and non-heroes alike. You could even add gimicks for them as boss.

Just an idea I would suggest in case we run out of ideas.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

You know I had a strange idea a few days ago.

What if the bad guys were the FE youtubers. I have watch plenty of them, Heroes and non-heroes alike. You could even add gimicks for them as boss.

Just an idea I would suggest in case we run out of ideas.

I'm kind of afraid including famous YouTubers will cause the regular users to be overshadowed.

1 minute ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm kind of afraid including famous YouTubers will cause the regular users to be overshadowed.

Even if they are all enemy boss?

Just now, fiver said:

i feel like the only youtuber that should be included is Ghast because he's a section mod here

This is true.  Maybe one of us can get in touch with him and ask if he's interested.

8 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

This is true.  Maybe one of us can get in touch with him and ask if he's interested.

Dunno if he'll say anything to me, but I can give it a shot~!

You'll want to ask Integrity/Vincent about their choices.  Though a full-on uprising of the members against the staff would be pretty funny IMO.

1 hour ago, Joshii said:

12. Lightchao42 - Bishop

Hey, when did I become the only genderless character? My gender is right there in my profile. Maybe my character can be the obligatory pretty boy as a compromise.

Anyway, I imagine my character starting off as a neutral traveling scholar or he can start with the enemy faction if they need some kind of eccentric scientist. He eventually helps the heroes because he usually goes with whatever side is most convenient for his interests. Whatever he studies (magic, dragons, special artifacts, etc.) can depend on the needs of the plot.