Serenes Emblem Discussion Thread (CHARACTER ROSTER IS FINALIZED)

Sub Zero

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Wait, you were talking about me? Even I don't understand what you meant with that post.

TEE-HEE~!

Once upon a time, you were a mod.  Since there's something about a banhammer and whatnot in the story. . .

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay, gang, I've decided that the following lucky 12 users will make up the playable cast of the proof-of-concept demo.  Note that some characters will have different starting classes in the final version; the ones given here are for the sake of having a better variety of weapon types.

@Pengaius, a Bow Cavalier, will be the boss.  (Name: Pengaius)

Wow, I feel honored!

By  the way, there's something I wanted to ask you: Which weapons would a Dragon Rider (and promotions) use in this project?

1 hour ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

Which weapons would a Dragon Rider (and promotions) use in this project?

Dragon Riders in this game wield Axes.  They can promote into either Dragon Knights, gaining Swords, or Griffon Knights, gaining Lances.

13 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Okay, gang, I've decided that the following lucky 12 users will make up the playable cast of the proof-of-concept demo.  Note that some characters will have different starting classes in the final version; the ones given here are for the sake of having a better variety of weapon types.

@Pengaius, a Bow Cavalier, will be the boss.  (Name: Pengaius)

Edited 13 hours ago by Von Ithipathachai

I am glad to lend myself to this project, I shall be a fearsome enemy you shan't overcome easily, what do you mean I can't counterattack most of the cast?

13 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

I am glad to lend myself to this project, I shall be a fearsome enemy you shan't overcome easily, what do you mean I can't counterattack most of the cast?

The proof of concept chapter will probably be a rout map.  Maybe I can make it so that you move when something's in range or after a certain number of turns.

I don't know how's the Story of the Concept Chapter going, but...

What about a 1-2 Bow instead? It could a bow with some value for Pengaius (with most likely a Butter joke), and that bow would ''break'' after the fight, but, as a playable character, he would eventually either found it again or discover another one, making it his Personal Weapon.

Edit: *1-2 Rng*

Edited by BergelomeuSantos

18 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The proof of concept chapter will probably be a rout map.  Maybe I can make it so that you move when something's in range or after a certain number of turns.

Honestly I'm fine with being immobile for the sake of comedy, but I understand if you want the map to have a less anticlimactic boss fight that mobility would be a good idea (although because of the movement ranges only Kat with a javelin can attack me before I move but then a flier would have to eat 2-4 arrows depending on speed and I don't see that ending well for team good guys)

1 hour ago, Pengaius said:

Honestly I'm fine with being immobile for the sake of comedy, but I understand if you want the map to have a less anticlimactic boss fight that mobility would be a good idea (although because of the movement ranges only Kat with a javelin can attack me before I move but then a flier would have to eat 2-4 arrows depending on speed and I don't see that ending well for team good guys)

If we are being honest all fire emblem boss fights are anticlimactic, I vote to give you the butter bow, "so slick you can attack up close", which is sadly destroyed after the first battle. But then again in the series mobile bosses are rare, so that may be something worth doing, the map could accommodate for any issues there.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

You could surround Pengaius with destructible walls at the start of the battle, so that he isn't immediately able to be surrounded and beaten on until his death.

Unfortunately SRPG Studio doesn't support breakable walls outside of custom scripting.  I may just stick with making him mobile.  He said he wanted to be tanky, so I think I'll give him Pavise as his Personal Skill as both an enemy and a playable character.

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

He said he wanted to be tanky, so I think I'll give him Pavise as his Personal Skill as both an enemy and a playable character.

Tbh I'd actually rather not have pavise or aegis or any proc-skills, if personal skills are a thing and everybody is getting one I'd rather have provoke if it's all the same, both because I'm extremely aggravating and because it'd guarantee I'd be the highest priority target on ep (no point in all that tankiness if none of the enemies ever attack you)

55 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Tbh I'd actually rather not have pavise or aegis or any proc-skills, if personal skills are a thing and everybody is getting one I'd rather have provoke if it's all the same, both because I'm extremely aggravating and because it'd guarantee I'd be the highest priority target on ep (no point in all that tankiness if none of the enemies ever attack you)

LOL.

Sadly I don't think Provoke is natively supported by SRPG Studio, nor are their any custom scripts for it.  I might be able to replicate it with a custom Skill that doesn't do anything and change enemy AI to prioritize Provoke users over all else, but who knows how much work that would take.

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Sadly I don't think Provoke is natively supported by SRPG Studio, nor are their any custom scripts for it.  I might be able to replicate it with a custom Skill that doesn't do anything and change enemy AI to prioritize Provoke users over all else, but who knows how much work that would take.

Ah, darn. Oh well if everybody gets a personal skill then I guess the res/def stance skill would add some better tank, but again this is only if the full cast are getting personal skills. 

4 minutes ago, Pengaius said:

Ah, darn. Oh well if everybody gets a personal skill then I guess the res/def stance skill would add some better tank, but again this is only if the full cast are getting personal skills. 

I'm not sure if there are Stance Skills available, either.  The best I could do is give you Seal Pow to lower enemies' attack power if you hit them.

8 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm not sure if there are Stance Skills available, either.  The best I could do is give you Seal Pow to lower enemies' attack power if you hit them.

Alright, sounds good, but again ONLY if everybody gets a personal skill

@Von Ithipathachai @AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life

Character info update for me. I spent the past few days putting together a rough sketch of my character.

Name: Emiri, usually goes by "Emi" because it sounds weird to use an English approximant 'r' instead of the flap 'r'
Class: Mamkute

Stats: High HP, high Def or Res or both. Other stats can be whatever makes sense for balance.

Spoiler

S4IN9os.jpg

Ignore all of the lines from her waist down. I gave up and left the guide lines behind for later. Probably more than enough to work with, at least.

Her eyes came out a bit bigger than expected, so she looks a bit younger than I would have wanted, but halfway between Mystery Tiki and Awakening Tiki shouldn't be too bad. Her boobs (and body in general) also came out bigger than expected, probably because I'm always looking at what I draw tilted (and therefore more vertically squished).

I might adjust the mamkute ears to be skinnier. They look kind of weird the same height as human ears.

Colors (because I suck at coloring, both analog and digital):

Her hair is silver. So are her eyelashes and eyebrows. Shadows in her hair should be a pale burgundy, like red wine with saturation turned down just a bit and luminosity turned way up. Her not-actually-an-ahoge comes out of her ponytail, but bends forward instead of backward as a single antenna hair.

Her eyes are carmine red. The color you get when you Google "carmine red". Her skin is standard anime skin tone leaning slightly towards the paler side.

Her hair clip and the half snowflake holding up her top are metallic silver. The half snowflake has a lenticular cross-section with a flat back. Her top is a modified dudou (the bottom edge is not drawn) and is olive-colored. Her hair ribbon is also olive.

Combat attire (not shown because I'm lazy and because I haven't finished designing it yet):

Her left arm is armored from the hand up just past the elbow. She has metal hip guards. Her legs are armored up to mid-thigh.

She'll probably have a skirt and waist cape.

Her top is the same as in the sketch with no additions. She has a glove on her right hand that extends past the elbow.

Maybe some more metal accessories here and there. I'm going back and forth on whether I want to make her dragonstone be embedded in a shield or gauntlet or not.

Her dragonstone glows the same color as an unfiltered mercury vapor lamp, if you've ever seen one of those before.

I'll probably clean up the drawing later and fix some of the things I want fixed. I feel so out of practice.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Emi is so pretty I love her 

But I know someone who used to do gba portraits but I don't think he does them anymore @Waleed is the guy.

he's really good but I can ask him if he's up to it.

For when the game is finalized 

Corra she can have Nowi's growth rates and starting stats for when All 3 manaketes are introduced.

also what is a mamkute?

16 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Also what is a mamkute?

Japanese for manakete.

Edit: Geeze, that drawing makes me feel more of a need to improve my drawing, been working on some designs myself, but I don't quite think I'm ready to show anything off myself.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

That's impressive.  If you could figure out some way to make a GBA-style portrait out of that design, it would be grand.

FE7 or FE8 outline color? I assume I can ignore the 15-color limitation.

1 hour ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

But I know someone who used to do gba portraits but I don't think he does them anymore @Waleed is the guy.

he's really good but I can ask him if he's up to it.

I should be able to manage it myself, even if I'm a bit rusty. A decade ago, before FESS died, I was a moderator for FESS's spriting forum, after all. Just have to stretch those old spriting muscles a bit since I haven't used them in so long.

This brings back memories, though.

Just now, Ice Dragon said:

FE7 or FE8 outline color? I assume I can ignore the 15-color limitation.

FE7 outline.

You could ignore the 15-color limit, but I'd prefer if you didn't for authenticity's sake.

• 2 weeks later...

All right, got around to fleshing out my character a little more. I even made a mock-up of a theoretical scenario he may appear in!

To summarize, "Sire" leads a group of mercenaries. For the majority of the game he will be off doing his own thing, only being recruited near the Endgame portion of Serenes Emblem. Their main objective is to search for the "Balls of Power" to see if they can help save "Serenia" (Serenes Forest Name Thingy) from whatever is going on.

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fqZi6j4RDUJ5R_7_KqCyc_W-qH2RIjNhcXRjetqDLSc

Edited by Sire

Ho boy, it's been a while since I could actually check in (internet issues + work), but I've been keeping an eye on the topic. I'll join the Discord in a hot minute, but to quickly address a couple of things I might need to chime in on:

Portrait/Sprite: I'm no artist, so I'll have to leave this to those people, but basing Ronald largely off my pfp is fine. Teal hair (since teal is my favorite color) decent-sized 'stache (me IRL) and a (typically brown or black) cowboy hat are the main fixtures. Hair and clothes are probably messy/worn as he isn't very neat. The hair can be dark brown if we're not going technicolor hair, but I assume we are as FE usually does.

Stats: I'm not a numbers guy, and I don't recall if I mentioned this already, but I imagine Ronald would be a glass cannon: High Mag/Spd (+Str if we have hybrid classes, he is a Mage Knight after all, otherwise doesn't matter), low Def/Res, and middling HP/Skill/Luck is the general idea, though feel free to fiddle with it some if needed for balancing.

Story/Personality: I haven't come up with a backstory or anything yet (I'll get on that), but like I said before, I imagine Ronald would be a L'arachel-esque independent before joining in the midgame. If there are monsters/Terrors or the like in this game (fandom toxicity?), they would be his primary targets, and he may show up as a NPC unit pre-recruitment in battles against them. If not, he's just someone who drifts about helping the good people of Serenia with their troubles, clearing out bandits (troll users?) or mediating disputes. I have quite a bit of details worked out for his personality, which I'll save for the Discord so this post isn't too long-winded (unless you'd like me to put it in this thread, let me know). But for the TL;DR, he's a compassionate drifter who does his work based on his personal code of integrity. He knows he's doing good service and thus can talk himself up at times, and he can be obstinate about asking others for help when he needs it, but he is genuinely motivated by his morals and doing "the right thing".

Edited by MegaTheGamer
Bolded individual section titles so it's clear where what is