Serenes Emblem Discussion Thread (CHARACTER ROSTER IS FINALIZED)

Sub Zero

I have no spriting ability, but I can offer a description. Lucian can be an edit of Lucius (similarities between names and class unintentional) with shorter (shoulder-length) dark brown hair and opaque glasses, though his eyes are green if they're ever visible. And he should always look mildly smug.

Edited by Lightchao42

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got myself a portrait at last, I felt it'd be weird to have a bunch of humanoids and then literal actual butter, so I decided to just go with a Green/Yellow O'Neill recolour (yes O'Neill the least memorable character in all of the GBA Fire emblems). It's not amazing and could definitely do with a more deft hand than I but it's the best I can do using an ipad 4. 

IMG_6728.PNG

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

how come everyone wants to wear glasses lately?

anyway, i'll see what i can do when i get back home from work later.

also, thanks for the list Von.

In my case it's because I wear glasses IRL and am blind without them.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, Jotari said:

I'd like to be a manakete. Because dragons. I'm not all egotistical so I wouldn't demand being an OP end game manakete. Plus I'd rather be in most of the game. So yeah, I guess I'd just like to be Bantu, only with more hair.

16 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Cool, thanks for taking the time.  I'd suggest blue eyes and she'd be perfect.  Still like it XD

16 hours ago, LMDHad0uken said:

someone could prob improve mines, here's what i got for a portrait

portrait.png

16 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I have no spriting ability, but I can offer a description. Lucian can be an edit of Lucius (similarities between names and class unintentional) with shorter (shoulder-length) dark brown hair and opaque glasses, though his eyes are green if they're ever visible. And he should always look mildly smug.

14 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Got myself a portrait at last, I felt it'd be weird to have a bunch of humanoids and then literal actual butter, so I decided to just go with a Green/Yellow O'Neill recolour (yes O'Neill the least memorable character in all of the GBA Fire emblems). It's not amazing and could definitely do with a more deft hand than I but it's the best I can do using an ipad 4. 

IMG_6728.PNG

16 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Unfortunately some is going to have to make mine since I currently lack a way to make a portrait.

It should be easy, though, just Tana with brown hair, brown eyes, and glasses.

...i demand would like to have a new personal class for what's going to be posted here:

» Jotari

jotari.png

» Chloey( reworked )

chloeglass.png

» Hadouken

sir.png

» Lightchao

chao.png

» Pengaius

pen.png

» Espurr

esp.png

they should be alright, i guess.

now, if you'll excuse me, dinner is waiting.

12 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

...i demand would like to have a new personal class for what's going to be posted here:

» Jotari

jotari.png

» Chloey( reworked )

chloeglass.png

» Hadouken

sir.png

» Lightchao

chao.png

» Pengaius

pen.png

» Espurr

esp.png

Ooh, so many new portraits!

It feels like Christmas

The colouring is so much better than it was, although I'm not too sure about the beard, well if that can be called a beard. 

If it's okay, I'd rather use this version (edited Fenreirs improved version) that is clean shaven. I gotta say man you really do have a good eye for colour. 

IMG_6731.PNG

Edited by Pengaius

good to see they're acceptable.

if anyone else is in need of portraits, let me know. the sooner we get a complete roster, the better.

by the way, @Von Ithipathachai: i don't know if you can eventually create new promoted/unique classes and skills/items in SRPG Studio, so i'll leave that aside for now.

as for my unit's stats and personal growth rates, i do have few ideas though:

HP POW SKL SPD LCK DEF RES Total
70% 70% 60% 50% 20% 60% 35% 365%

Base Stats (Level 20/1)
HP POW SKL SPD LCK DEF RES MOV Total
37 20 13 11 7 20 9 6 123

i would like to start as General lv1 rather than Hero though, just to keep a good amount of base stats that can eventually be improved by leveling up, along with the same gear/skills as before.

thinking about it, i really prefer the armored version of my avatar, so you can use that by default.

in case it's also possible to edit the General class battle animations, feel free to send me the file with the sprites. i'd like to customize my unit even further.

[edit] such as this:

fen.png

i've been literally drowning in sprites lately...

Edited by Fenreir

4 hours ago, Fenreir said:

» Jotari

jotari.png

» Chloey( reworked )

chloeglass.png

» Hadouken

sir.png

» Lightchao

chao.png

» Pengaius

pen.png

» Espurr

esp.png

O.o

So AMAZING!!!

Wow thank you so much!!  😄

On 7/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Uhh...  @KnightOfNohr, we have a problem.  We already have another boss character who uses most of Hugh's head and body.

EDIT: Actually, this may be acceptable now.  Your body is less similar to KK's than I initially thought.

Also, @Fenreir here's the list of portraits:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/16JEPkCSeq2qtveL9cdtL7Cx7X6ns6gkCXeosHkE87w0/edit?usp=sharing

If we ever meet, we can have a conversation about how I’m copying his hand gesture. 🙂

On 7/12/2019 at 1:27 AM, AnonymousSpeed said:

Same class as the trio?
Around for most of the game?

@Jotari is Caeda.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:30 AM, Fenreir said:

» Jotari

jotari.png

Sexy.

Edited by Jotari

I'm trying to make my own sprite, but it's a bit difficult. If someone could make it before I'm finished, that'd be great, and I would give you as many thanks as humanly possible, but nobody has to.

The base will be Roy, with shorter hair (optional), blond hair, purple armor, and Dedede's hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Whew!  I finally got around to adding the updated portraits to the Google Doc.  Sorry, guys.

Once again I've decided to edit them so that they'd meet color limits for insertion into GBA Fire Emblem, so that the portraits feel authentically GBA-style.

@Lightchao42, do you think you could repost your purple portrait as a PNG file so I can edit it with Usenti?

@GreatKnightEcho, I hope you don't mind your portrait having purple eyes and messed-up shading around the crown.

It's fine.

I have an idea for a potential backstory for my character. If there is some sort of evil nation involved, he used to be a knight for them until they started doing evil shit, after which he noped out of there and decided to become a priest.

11 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Once again I've decided to edit them so that they'd meet color limits for insertion into GBA Fire Emblem, so that the portraits feel authentically GBA-style.

i still don't understand why you're fixed with having all colors in GBA format, when they're already fine as they are due to more colors variety.

in case of sprites borders, it would probably be faster(and even better due to a greater contrast with the background UI, wich would define them better) to just put a black border in the inner line of each portrait. just to give an example:

EXE.jpgEXE2.jpg

not to mention that reducing the overall amount of colors also means that all the work i've done for palette-swapping, shading and pixels customization/additions would eventually be thrown in the toilet.

i'm more than happy to give a hand with the project if needed, as long as it doesn't get crippled later on for trivial reasons.

39 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

i still don't understand why you're fixed with having all colors in GBA format, when they're already fine as they are due to more colors variety.

in case of sprites borders, it would probably be faster(and even better due to a greater contrast with the background UI, wich would define them better) to just put a black border in the inner line of each portrait. just to give an example:

[snip]

not to mention that reducing the overall amount of colors also means that all the work i've done for palette-swapping, shading and pixels customization/additions would eventually be thrown in the toilet.

i'm more than happy to give a hand with the project if needed, as long as it doesn't get crippled later on for trivial reasons.

Again, I thought it would be a good idea to go with GBA-style portraits because a lot of people here like them and I feel it would be best to have some kind of consistent artstyle for portraits.  Our only other alternative would be to find a single artist who can draw portraits for everyone completely from scratch.

Frankly I feel strange having portraits that look like they'd fit in one of the GBA games, but not actually be fully possible to insert into them (assuming they would also eventually have talking and blinking frames, which they won't here).

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I think I've already made my stance on this known, but I'll reiterate it since the issue has come up again.

We don't need a totally consistent art style for the portraits. Not only do GBA portraits clash with the default assets (which I understand we are using), but this is supposed to be a comedic hack about forum members. Clashing portrait styles would lean into that comedic tone. Further, for users with consistent and recognizable avatars like myself, Pengaius, Von, and even our main character, it makes the units more recognizable as who they're supposed to represent when we just use their forum avatars. We can't do that for everyone, but it would work quite well for a good number of people.

But that's just my opinion, man.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

We don't need a totally consistent art style for the portraits. Not only do GBA portraits clash with the default assets (which I understand we are using), but this is supposed to be a comedic hack about forum members. Clashing portrait styles would lean into that comedic tone. Further, for users with consistent and recognizable avatars like myself, Pengaius, Von, and even our main character, it makes the units more recognizable as who they're supposed to represent when we just use their forum avatars. We can't do that for everyone, but it would work quite well for a good number of people.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Then what's to be done for the people who DON'T have consistent avatars, like Josh or Acacia Sgt?