Calill worth using/transfering?

So I've been thinking about maybe using Calill in my next playthrough of PoR and RD for a transfer bonus. Since nobody really needs the Spirit Dust in PoR, Calill can make for a great candidate for both of them to cap her magic rather easily. I've heard, however, that she actually doesn't get transfers with Largo and I have the early version of the game with the transfer glitch in it, so I'm not sure if she would even get transfers from him.

Also, if I did use Calill I would be using her over Shinon in RD to support Nephenee in both games to take advantage of their possible Bond support and better support bonuses in RD than Shinon and Nephenee have.

Thoughts?

Calill's a pretty good pre promote in PoR thanks to her solid bases and weapon ranks. Only thing holding her back is the fact that she uses knives instead of staves, which I'm assuming they did to prevent her from being super overpowered like Pent in FE7

Calill will get bonuses from Largo, they just won't stack as was once incorrectly reported. So if she caps Mag, Spd, and Skl and he caps HP and Spd she'll get +5 HP, +2 Mag, +2 Spd, and +2 Skl.

As for if she's worth using? I'd say that's ultimately up to you. She's a decent unit in both games. Not incredible, but not bad. For what it's worth, she's probably the best lategame Mage in RD.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, Florete said:

Calill will get bonuses from Largo, they just won't stack as was once incorrectly reported. So if she caps Mag, Spd, and Skl and he caps HP and Spd she'll get +5 HP, +2 Mag, +2 Spd, and +2 Skl.

She is if bonus-transfered. Just stop using Fire Tomes and focus on using Thunder ASAP. Objectively, Calill is the best mage of the game because of decent base and more than decent growth% which will allow her to double consistently. I also appreciate her absence in chapters where she'd solo maps full of Laguz thanks to Fire Tomes and great speed. 

I personally prefer using Ilyana since despite mediocrity, she is the most available magic user of the entire game. Even untransfered, high availabilty rate and a bit of luck combined with the right timing in giving her bonus EXP makes her a monster in Late Part III and Part IV. If you intend to invest a lot of money in Refined Thunder Tomes, Ilyana is the best choice because of Rexbolt availabilty. Otherwise just give Calill ElThunder tomes and at least get C-Weapon Rank.

Overall, together with Jill and Ike, she is one of the best units to transfer.

8 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I think that advice is meant to build up Thunder WEXP so Calill can better combat dragons in E-3.

It's still not worth using Thunder magic exclusively, not for just one chapter. Also, Calill can't use the most powerful Thunder tome, anyway, as she can only get a S in Thunder Magic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 12:52 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

That's true. But besides fighting Volug in "Rivals Collide" or 4-5, there's no single enemy which is weak against fire tomes. Calil starts with a solid B in Thunder Tomes, and while being heavier than Fire Tomes, you can gain more benefits from a nice ElThunder tome. Or at least that's how I use it. During E-3, yes, you can't have her using the Rexbolt tome, but a refined Thunder Tome or Bolting can work really well in replacement.

7 hours ago, vercio said:

Calil starts with a solid B in Thunder Tomes

So? She also starts with an A in Fire Tomes.

7 hours ago, vercio said:

you can gain more benefits from a nice ElThunder tome.

Elthunder only has 5 might, while Elfire has 7 might, which means that Elfire does more damage against anything that isn't a dragon. Now, given that the majority of enemies (save in one chapter) that Calill will face aren't dragons, Fire > Thunder.

Bolting

Which only has five uses, and getting one in the first place is quite convoluted (there's only two in the entire game that you can get and you have to steal both of them).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

If you want to bring Rexflame into RD's endgame and you don't want Sanaki to use it (perhaps because Cymbeline is only one Mt point weaker and much lighter), Calill is a solid choice. I'd say she compares favorably to Tormod, to be honest.

And she and Largo are probably worth maxing out in PoR too, if you plan to deploy her in the endgame of RD.

Edited by Paper Jam

• 6 months later...

Your call between Calill and Tormod. Calill has a 5% higher Magic growth, 15% higher Resistance and Skill growths, and a whopping 30% higher Luck growth. Tormod has 15% higher HP growth, 20% higher Def growth, and 30% higher Str growth, but his Str growth is useless, as he has base 13 Strength, the same as the weight of Rexflame. Calill's base 9 strength requires an average of 16 level-ups (25% growth-rate) to reach 13, though promotion to Tier 3 will give her an increase in Str. To summarize, Calill has better magic stats and can dish out more damage, but Tormod's 2-point advantage in base Speed allows him to double faster enemies and his Celerity skill gives him 8 movement. Calill is an excellent glass cannon with high Magic growths, while Tormod is better suited for long-range tomes with a relatively high Strength base and growth to counteract the extreme weight of long-range tomes and perhaps allow him to double with long-range tomes.

On 7/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, vercio said:

That's true. But besides fighting Volug in "Rivals Collide" or 4-5, there's no single enemy which is weak against fire tomes. Calil starts with a solid B in Thunder Tomes, and while being heavier than Fire Tomes, you can gain more benefits from a nice ElThunder tome. Or at least that's how I use it. During E-3, yes, you can't have her using the Rexbolt tome, but a refined Thunder Tome or Bolting can work really well in replacement.

False. Although Calill is not used for this chapter, 3-13 contains large numbers of enemy Cats and Tigers, who are weak to Fire. Also, the Daein side of the set of river chapters (Rivals Collide and another I forgot) contains beast laguz.

16 hours ago, dudhhr said:

Calill has a 5% higher Magic growth, 15% higher Resistance and Skill growths, and a whopping 30% higher Luck growth. Tormod has 15% higher HP growth, 20% higher Def growth, and 30% higher Str growth, but his Str growth is useless, as he has base 13 Strength, the same as the weight of Rexflame. Calill's base 9 strength requires an average of 16 level-ups (25% growth-rate) to reach 13, though promotion to Tier 3 will give her an increase in Str. To summarize, Calill has better magic stats and can dish out more damage, but Tormod's 2-point advantage in base Speed allows him to double faster enemies and his Celerity skill gives him 8 movement. Calill is an excellent glass cannon with high Magic growths, while Tormod is better suited for long-range tomes with a relatively high Strength base and growth to counteract the extreme weight of long-range tomes and perhaps allow him to double with long-range tomes.

You neglected to mention that Calill exists for far more of the game then Tormod does, this making her far more easier to train than Tormod.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

18 hours ago, dudhhr said:

False. Although Calill is not used for this chapter, 3-13 contains large numbers of enemy Cats and Tigers, who are weak to Fire. Also, the Daein side of the set of river chapters (Rivals Collide and another I forgot) contains beast laguz.

As the player doesn't have any mages aside from Micaiah and Laura at that point, knowing that doesn't really help them.

18 hours ago, dudhhr said:

Your call between Calill and Tormod. Calill has a 5% higher Magic growth, 15% higher Resistance and Skill growths, and a whopping 30% higher Luck growth. Tormod has 15% higher HP growth, 20% higher Def growth, and 30% higher Str growth, but his Str growth is useless, as he has base 13 Strength, the same as the weight of Rexflame. Calill's base 9 strength requires an average of 16 level-ups (25% growth-rate) to reach 13, though promotion to Tier 3 will give her an increase in Str. To summarize, Calill has better magic stats and can dish out more damage, but Tormod's 2-point advantage in base Speed allows him to double faster enemies and his Celerity skill gives him 8 movement. Calill is an excellent glass cannon with high Magic growths, while Tormod is better suited for long-range tomes with a relatively high Strength base and growth to counteract the extreme weight of long-range tomes and perhaps allow him to double with long-range tomes.

This ignores that Tormod is far, FAR harder to get up to speed than Calill is owing to his availability (or lack thereof, considering that he's only available for four chapters aside from endgame, and that he can only reasonably level up in ONE). And that it'd be a massive waste for him to keep his Celerity skill for the same reason.

Edited by Shadow Mir