Soooooo what'cha playing?

22 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hopefully this helps! I'm curious to know if this is actually good.

Alright, thanks a ton for all the help. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was going to start replaying Ace Attorney, but decided that I'm on enough of a Mega Man kick to continue playing regardless of my initial decision. So, it's onwards to Mega Man 8. And...it surely is something. Although, I will say, I'm visually more comfortable with this game given that it reminds me of the GameBoy Advance, which might be due to me seeing a bit of Megaman & Bass, which was ported to the GameBoy Advance.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

was going to start replaying Ace Attorney, but decided that I'm on enough of a Mega Man kick to continue playing regardless of my initial decision. So, it's onwards to Mega Man 8. And...it surely is something. Although, I will say, I'm visually more comfortable with this game given that it reminds me of the GameBoy Advance, which might be due to me seeing a bit of Megaman & Bass, which was ported to the GameBoy Advance.

JUMP! JUMP!

SLIDE! SLIDE!

JUMP! JUMP! SLIDE SLIDE JUMP JUMP!

Anyway on the closing stages of EO2 Untold right now. Its not quite wrong to say i've been only playing Etrian Oddysey games lately lol

I um... idk, i'm halfway through both reverse recruitment fe4 and fe5, i'm also halfway through fe6 hard mode, and also halfway through fe7 HHM. no fucking clue which one I'll finally finish first.

I'm also going through both of the Ultimate Alliance games in preparation for The Black Order. Right now, I'm on the first one, just got Mandarin's Palace.

After finishing Blaster Master, it's an okay game. It's got a lot of gameplay variety for an NES game. They really should have introduced the wall and ceiling climbing ability sooner because a whole game of that sounds a lot of fun. It's basically the spider ball ability from Metroid 2 only you can still attack in creative angles and that really changes how you traverse complex environments. But the only area built around this mechanic are the final two areas which is a quarter of the game. The biggest barrier to enjoying this game is how much of a roadblock the bosses are. 90% of the game difficulty is concentrated on these fights and in the latter half of the game they just get too difficult if you didn't manage to grind up resources. Resources that get set back a stage when you get hit or set to 0 if you die. And add to that the 15 total lives you get to beat the game, it feels very stressful to tackle the bosses and trying not to take a hit or a death. And bosses you only fight on foot feels like a missed opportunity when the tank is the only thing that gets stronger as you progress the game. Would have been cool to have a boss fight in that thing for the finale. I rate this game a 3.8 out of 10. Harder, faster, Blaster, Master.

Pivoting off Blaster Master, I'm tackling another game whose remake I love: Metroid. Zero Mission had the original playable in the extras menu when you beat the game, so it's fair to say I grew up with the NES Metroid, but never beat it. The password system was cumbersome, and the environments are so samey it's easy to get lost in absence of having a map. Plus I forgot how much you need to grind for resources whenever you die. They let you have about half your maximum missiles when you come back to life, but only 30 health? The same amount you start the game with? You need to find a safe spot to farm health off enemies before you can start getting back to where you were exploring. But I just got the screw attack so it feels like nothing in the game can hurt me. I pulled up a fan-made map for this playthrough and the game is holding up better than I remember.

On 5/27/2019 at 8:19 PM, Dai said:

Why the hell am I still stuck on the first half of Wily Stage 1 in this game? This boarding section blows, really. Getting used to the timing still doesn't do shit 'cuz I still keep falling to my doom. Saw someone suggest Astro Crush, and I still get screwed.

I'm doing another run in Breath of the Wild, this time with skipping the Sheikah Slate.

It's so much more fun having to rely on your sense of direction and awareness of your surroundings rather then simply chasing after waypoints on the map.

The old glitch was fixed at some point. But fortunately the relatively recent discovered Apparatus Storage Glitch can be used for that too.

On 5/25/2019 at 11:28 AM, Stroud said:

Puyo Champions / Esports, Puyo Tetris.
I am getting used to Puyo, but still have my difficulties. At the moment I am just waiting for Cold Steel 2 and Mario Maker 2. These games will be a blast D=. 

I really enjoyed Trails of Cold Steel 1 and  I already have ToCS 2 for Vita. I haven't played it yet, but it should be as good as the first one.

I'm still in a rare JRPG mood so I've picked out Phantasy Star 3: Generations of Doom from my backlog. It's central gimmick allegedly is taking place across three generations where your decisions affect later generations. Yes this game predates FE4 by six years. Phantasy Star is a series with a lot of firsts in JRPG history, so it wouldn't be the first time another game took ideas from it. This game is a bit of a black sheep for the series by sort of ditching the Sci-fi aesthetic in favor of a medieval fantasy setting. But the world is full of ruins and the dungeons are made up of blinking, rusted environments so maybe there's more under the surface? 

I'm told this game is much less grindy and easier than Phantasy Star 2, but boy I'm just 2-3 hours into this game and have game overed four times. These random encounters are brutal in terms of RNG. A swarm of enemies might deal puny physical attacks of 2 damage each or just start blasting you with 15 damage tech skills. One of my game overs was by attempting to run from a difficult looking fight. Four failed attempts at fleeing finished off my party mere steps from the next town. Thankfully the random battles are quick and snappy and the dungeons short so replaying these sections hasn't taken me too long. I'm also playing along with HCBailly's LP as sort of a guide. Because games like this are fun that way and its easy to forget where you're going with such a high encounter rate.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:15 PM, BrightBow said:

I'm doing another run in Breath of the Wild, this time with skipping the Sheikah Slate.

It's so much more fun having to rely on your sense of direction and awareness of your surroundings rather then simply chasing after waypoints on the map.

The old glitch was fixed at some point. But fortunately the relatively recent discovered Apparatus Storage Glitch can be used for that too.

You do know that you can turn the mini-map off? No need for glitches. It's been a while since I played Breath of the Wild, but I believe you can turn it off if you just go into the options and change the HUD setting to pro. 

6 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

You do know that you can turn the mini-map off? No need for glitches. It's been a while since I played Breath of the Wild, but I believe you can turn it off if you just go into the options and change the HUD setting to pro. 

I think the idea is having no map at al, even when pausing.

7 hours ago, Dai said:

I think the idea is having no map at al, even when pausing.

Oh; well then they can just not look at the map then. That's what I do when playing Breath of the Wild. I don't know how it is on the Switch version, but on the Wii U version, when I want to pause the game, I open up the inventory menu. I only ever open up the map to teleport to places. 

27 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh; well then they can just not look at the map then. That's what I do when playing Breath of the Wild. I don't know how it is on the Switch version, but on the Wii U version, when I want to pause the game, I open up the inventory menu. I only ever open up the map to teleport to places. 

There's also that, the teleportation. I think it's kind of just a precaution, you know? If you don't have access to it, you won't be tempted to use it.

2 hours ago, Dai said:

There's also that, the teleportation. I think it's kind of just a precaution, you know? If you don't have access to it, you won't be tempted to use it.

Okay. I wouldn't know; I only really use the teleportation when it would be utterly ridiculous not to do so, like going from one side of the map to the other. With Breath of the Wild as big as it is, it would be ridiculous not to use the teleportation when the distance between where you are and where you're trying to go gets large enough. 

Been playing through Spider Man on the PS4. Also have NieR: Automata, which I played like 20 hours of it until I took a break from it to focus more on the former.

On the Switch, I started playing Final Fantasy X just cuz I feel like it and I got nothing else to do.

Been playing acnl lately. Want to make my town, house and character look nice.

It's hard scraping together clothes and furniture playing alone. We should definitely play together. I want your stuff.

So, I am almost done with Atelier Lulua (I think, but 41 hours seems to be kind of close to the end), and I love every second of it. The humor in this game is especially on point, all the characters are likeable, the artstyle is fantastic, the gameplay is fantastic, and I absolutely enjoy the alchemy (crafting) system. It's a lot of fun to play around with, easy to grasp on the surface but once you delve deeper into it, you find out that it is, indeed, quite deep.
I won't go into the story, since it might spoil something in Atelier Rorona, the game which this one is a sequel to, and Armagon is currently playing that, so I'll refrain from pointing out any details. I also haven't finished it yet, but it is a compelling plot, and the writing is stellar.

But apparently, according to some western communities, I'm a pedo for liking the game, so... there's that.
What the f**k kinda messed up logic is that even supposed to be? Screw you, Westerners. Screw you eternally.

As I have pointed out over in the Post a fact about the person above thread, I have finally gotten around to buying my first Hyperdimension Neptunia game, Rebirth 1, to be specific. I clocked in 3 hours at the time of writing this and I am already in love with it. Thanks, @Armagon.
The battle system does take some time getting used to, though, and I did have a few characters die on me due to me being ignorant of the intricacies of the whole thing, of which I suspect there are many. The story is pretty interesting so far. It hasn't really gotten going yet, but there is potential for some cool/interesting developments.
The writing in this game is literally perfect. Fourth-wall breaking is one of my personal favorite elements of comedy and this game has it in spades. One of my favorite moments so far is early on, when Neptune (a.k.a. Nep-Nep) and her new friend Compa (as in Companion, you see) are in a cave and the latter is captured and is all like "Help me, damn it!", Neptune answers: "Oh no, Compa's being *censored* and *censored*!" (yes, the *censored*'s are actually in the dialogue), to which Compa answers "I'm not being *censored*, I'm just off-screen!". And all Neptune replies, completely matter-of-factly, is "Ah, you know. Fanservice".
My only complaint is that the voice acting is a bit stiff in parts and not every line is voiced, but those are just nitpicks.

53 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

But apparently, according to some western communities, I'm a pedo for liking the game, so... there's that.
What the f**k kinda messed up logic is that even supposed to be? Screw you, Westerners. Screw you eternally.

Yeeeeah, the thing with some Westerners is that if any female character shows a centimeter of skin that isn't part of their face, it's literally hentai. I don't know what it is, some people in the West just hate seeing skin (*war flashbacks to Xenoblade 2 Pyra and P5R Kasumi "edits"*).

56 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

her new friend Compa (as in Companion, you see)

So fun fact (and you're gonna see this a lot of characters), Compa is actually named after Compile Heart, the developers of Neptunia. Some names aren't as subtle though, as there are characters whose names are just the actual names of the game studios/publishers. It's great.

59 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My only complaint is that the voice acting is a bit stiff in parts and not every line is voiced, but those are just nitpicks.

Yeah, i had that issue to. I actually switched to the Japanese voices. I normally don't do this but i did it because i personally feel the English voices are too normal to capture the wacky personalities of Neptunia characters.