Soooooo what'cha playing?

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

The requirements for the Normal and True Ends start at Ch.5

tbf, R;B3 is the easiest game to get True end in, because there are no share or lily requirements and stuff.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

She freaking broke Noire of all people.
"GOING AND GOING AND GOING AND GOING AND GOING AND GOING AND..."
I haven't laughed this hard in a very, very long time. XD

Sadie's might is absolute xD

Does it work for every party member or just Neptune?

Aslong as Nep is the Party leader, it affects everyone.

My favorite Tales game by far.

It's the only one i played haha. I am thinking of getting Vesperia in the current Steam Sale, but i also heard that the gameplay is kinda archaic... (+I want to save for Switch+FE16)

That's what the "Unlock Skill" plan was about?

yup, iirc Unlock Skill 2 is for Exe drives

I did grind Neptune, Plutia, and Noire to 100 skill uses.

wow haha. I unlocked their Exe-drives pretty damn late xD

9 hours ago, indigoasis said:

I'm going through Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology

Have fun man! I played the original back then on the DS and i loved it. Enjoy 😄

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Aslong as Nep is the Party leader, it affects everyone.

Noice.

It's the only one i played haha. I am thinking of getting Vesperia in the current Steam Sale, but i also heard that the gameplay is kinda archaic... (+I want to save for Switch+FE16)

It is. I have the remastered version of Vesperia (I still need to finish it, come to think of it), and I had difficulties getting used to the battle system again. Going back from Berseria (heck, even Xillia and Xillia 2), it feels a bit clunky at times. It's not a bad system in any way, shape, or form, but in my personal opinion, Berseria has a crapton of improvements and it flows much better than Vesperia.

wow haha. I unlocked their Exe-drives pretty damn late xD

I did it mainly to increase their Mentality (?) stat. I remember Neptune in particular not doing too hot against magic attacks in Re;Birth 1 and saw this as a way to kind of alleviate the problem. I also did it for Plutia and Noire, because might as well, right? Plutia would have gotten hers eventually, since she's a pretty good healer, and Noire has pretty strong SP skills in general. I haven't checked, but it feels like Noire's SP skills do a bit more damage than her ordinary combos.

Edited by DragonFlames

Chapters 5 and 6 of Atelier Lulua complete. Rorona has joined the party. Di molto. Now i have three alchemists to use items and interrupt with. Gotta say though, i definitely prefer Rorona's English voice. Anyway, i'm trying to debate if i go for the normal end now and go for the other endings (and the Alchemyriddle's secondary objectives) later. @DragonFlames a non-spoilery question, does Atelier Lulua have a post-game, as in the kind where you keep playing after you beat the game or does the game put you back right before the final boss room after you beat it?

Didn't have a chance to play Super Neptunia RPG and Bloodstained yesterday, so no updates. I'll fix that.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

She freaking broke Noire of all people.

And she won't be the only one to suffer that fate. Pluta is....inevitable.

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I was trying to avoid telling you that Rorona and Sterk will be playable at some point.

Oh i knew they were playable from the start. I did confirm on the wiki just to be sure but even without that, two of the screenshots on the eShop had Sterk in the party.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

tbf, R;B3 is the easiest game to get True end in, because there are no share or lily requirements and stuff.

Oh i know but the requirements for the Normal and True Ends are also missable. That's why i wanted to let him know in advance.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Chapters 5 and 6 of Atelier Lulua complete. Rorona has joined the party. Di molto. Now i have three alchemists to use items and interrupt with. Gotta say though, i definitely prefer Rorona's English voice. Anyway, i'm trying to debate if i go for the normal end now and go for the other endings (and the Alchemyriddle's secondary objectives) later. @DragonFlames a non-spoilery question, does Atelier Lulua have a post-game, as in the kind where you keep playing after you beat the game or does the game put you back right before the final boss room after you beat it?

When I first heard Rorona's voice, I was like "that is NOT what a mother sounds like!". I assume it's the same voice from her own game, but it was still a bit... weird, to be honest. Even without knowing the character.
As for your question: Yes, there is a post-game. A pretty expansive one, from the looks of it. I haven't dipped my toes too far in, however.

And she won't be the only one to suffer that fate. Pluta is....inevitable.

Oh, I noticed. Her stepping on Warechu, both verbally and literally, was immensely satisfying after he annoyed me so much in the last game. XD
I love how Purple Heart of all people has to play the straight man in scenes involving the goddesses now.

Oh i knew they were playable from the start. I did confirm on the wiki just to be sure but even without that, two of the screenshots on the eShop had Sterk in the party.

Gosh darn spoiler-y screenshots! He and Rorona are also depicted alongside Eva, Piana, Ficus, and Aurel on the back of the box for the game, so I got spoiled, too. Difference being, I had no idea who these two were until they showed up in the game proper.
That is, I didn't know who Rorona was until this game. I knew Sterk from Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, but he looked vastly different than in this game, so I didn't recognize him at first.

Oh i know but the requirements for the Normal and True Ends are also missable. That's why i wanted to let him know in advance.

Thank you!
That reminds me, I reached Chapter 4 earlier. I laughed so hard when Nepgear pulled a Neptune and landed right on top of Noire (you'd think this is some kind of cruel metaphor). At the same time, I'm sad, because she didn't join my party (yet. Maybe. Neptune did say that she feels like Nepgear is getting shafted in this game). Taking care of a few quests right now, then it's off to Leanbox to meet Ve-- I mean, the mysterious CPU that quietly founded a nation while everybody else was preoccupied.
Baby IF and Baby Compa are freaking adorable, too.

Some things I noticed:
1) The shares redistribute themselves at the beginning of each chapter, no matter how many quests I do to increase a specific nation's shares.
2) The "Nepstation" thing is kinda cool.
3) So far, the game is easier than the other two. Re;Birth 1 had the huge difficulty spike with the Black Heart fight, and Re;Birth 2 had CFW Magic and the Nepgear/Uni VS. CFW Brave fight that were really, really tough, whereas in Re;Birth 3, I kinda steamrolled every boss so far. Either HDD is even more OP in this game than it was in the other two, or I'm overlevelled (32 for Neptune and Plutia, 31 for Noire and Blanc).
4) Some dungeons just appear out of nowhere without me using plans to make them. They also contain plans for other dungeons, but none of these have had any story mission happen in them (yet).
5) I love how the game jokes about its own fanbase. Case in point: Noire being more popular than Neptune, and Nepgear saying players and critics alike thought she was bland in Re;Birth 2, an opinion which, for the record, I heavily disagree with.

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I love how Purple Heart of all people has to play the straight man in scenes involving the goddesses now.

tfw Neptune is the sane one. Although tbf, Nepko when in HDD form/Purple Heart is a no nonsense Person

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Neptune did say that she feels like Nepgear is getting shafted in this game

time for some Bulli. the best kind of bulli.

xD

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

NepNep is a mom now.

1) The shares redistribute themselves at the beginning of each chapter, no matter how many quests I do to increase a specific nation's shares.

Because R;B3/Victory kinda follows the real life gaming industry, if you hadn't noticed. That's also the reason why you won't need Shares as a True Ending requirement this time around

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Either HDD is even more OP in this game

This is true. HDD gives massive bonuses this time around. Enjoy it because in Victory 2 it doesn't anymore xD

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Some dungeons just appear out of nowhere without me using plans to make them.

They are important for later iirc as some of the events for the True Ending happen in them.

20 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Nepgear saying players and critics alike thought she was bland in Re;Birth 2

some of my fav. moments in the game is when the game is joking about R;B2, because i found them totally on point xD

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Going back from Berseria (heck, even Xillia and Xillia 2), it feels a bit clunky at times. It's not a bad system in any way, shape, or form, but in my personal opinion, Berseria has a crapton of improvements and it flows much better than Vesperia.

I see...

Honestly, i am thinking about either getting it or https://store.steampowered.com/app/235460/METAL_GEAR_RISING_REVENGEANCE/. Tokyo Xanadu is also in my sights, but it gives me too much Cold Steel flashbacks for my comfort (I love Trails and all, but my opinion about the current arc is verrrrrry negative)

Damn, the boss of the Tower of Twin Dragons in Bloodstained fucked me in the ass like three times. I was not prepared for a two headed dragon (i should've been, it's in the name of the area) that could spew out high-knockback fire from both mouths and attacks that cover nearly most of the screen. Beat it on my fourth try though. Time to get a picture taken and have the friendly librarian vampire make me a passport so i can board the train that's sitting on the Bridge of Evil.

30 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As for your question: Yes, there is a post-game. A pretty expansive one, from the looks of it. I haven't dipped my toes too far in, however.

Alright, i think in that case, i'll make two save files, one for the normal end and one where i work on getting the true end. Atelier Rorona DX (specifically the DX version) also has a post-game that unlocks if you manage to at least get the normal end. Though it only lasts for one in-game year.

47 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

When I first heard Rorona's voice, I was like "that is NOT what a mother sounds like!". I assume it's the same voice from her own game, but it was still a bit... weird, to be honest. Even without knowing the character.

Yeah. I''ll say this though: her JP voice does work better in the Arland trilogy. Still prefer her English voice though. Atelier Meruru is the only one where i'd say i prefer Rorona's JP voice.

38 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Thank you!
That reminds me, I reached Chapter 4 earlier. I laughed so hard when Nepgear pulled a Neptune and landed right on top of Noire (you'd think this is some kind of cruel metaphor). At the same time, I'm sad, because she didn't join my party (yet. Maybe. Neptune did say that she feels like Nepgear is getting shafted in this game). Taking care of a few quests right now, then it's off to Leanbox to meet Ve-- I mean, the mysterious CPU that quietly founded a nation while everybody else was preoccupied.

Yep, Nepgear will join soon.

Anyway, since you're close to Ch.5, here's the requirements for getting the Normal and True Ends (i'm copying this from a guide)

Spoiler

Normal End: You need to acquire 5 items from events in Chapter 5 and Chapter 6. The five items required are, IF’s Notebook, Compa’s Syringe, Nep’s Pudding, Stuffed Doll and Peashy’s Drawing.

At the start of Chapter 5, view the events for IF and for Peashy and you will get IF’s Notebook and Compa’s Syringe. After you do one of the other town’s and beat the boss and clear the event, return to Planeptune for a new event there. At the end of that event you will obtain Nep’s Pudding. This is missable if you do not do this before completing all three nation events, so return as soon as you complete the first one.

At the start of Chapter 6, view Peashy’s event for Peashy’s Drawing and the remaining item, Stuffed Doll, is unlocked naturally by story progression.

True End: Do the same things you did for the Normal End but to get the True Ending you also have to view events in 6 optional dungeons. Unlocking these dungeons can be a bit time consuming depending on how many optional dungeons you’ve done along the way and how far you’ve progressed in Stella’s Dungeon. These optional dungeons are: So Shal Forest, Keraga Dimension, Pii Shii Game Factory, Graphic Pass, Vida Dimension and Powerlevel Island. 

There will be a dungeon called the Extradimensional Space that unlocks near the end of the game. Do not complete this dungeon without getting the six events in the six dungeons listed. If you do, you'll be locked out of the true end.

Been playing pokemon Yellow on my 3DS as per a friend's invitation to finish the pokedex. Sitting just before the Elite Four with my level 38-42 team of weirdos while I map out where are the most convenient spots to catch each pokemon. Man I forgot how bad inventory management is in the game. 20 inventory slots in your bag. 50 in your PC. I did not recall having a limit in the PC, and I'm full up on unused TMs and key items. I remember how happy I was making it to cinnabar island dropping off those two fossils since two more inventory slots was just so clutch at that moment. Couldn't pick up the key to Blaine's gym otherwise

9 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

tfw Neptune is the sane one. Although tbf, Nepko when in HDD form/Purple Heart is a no nonsense Person

That is true. So true that she can't even enjoy a rollercoaster properly.

Because R;B3/Victory kinda follows the real life gaming industry, if you hadn't noticed. That's also the reason why you won't need Shares as a True Ending requirement this time around

I did, actually. Lowee as the oldest nation (Nintendo) is afraid of the upcoming youth (Sony, Sega), but is friendly with Planeptune later on (Sega and Nintendo have cooperated a lot, and Sega publishes some games on Nintendo hardware now). Lastation (Sony) gains the most followers in a short amount of time (the first and second Playstation consoles were crazy successful, eclipsing the relevant Nintendo consoles in terms of sales), and Noire mocks Blanc for still using cartridges (PS1 vs. N64). It's clever writing, all things considered.

I see...

Honestly, i am thinking about either getting it or https://store.steampowered.com/app/235460/METAL_GEAR_RISING_REVENGEANCE/. Tokyo Xanadu is also in my sights, but it gives me too much Cold Steel flashbacks for my comfort (I love Trails and all, but my opinion about the current arc is verrrrrry negative)

I liked Cold Steel 1 a great deal. Cold Steel 2 is... flawed, but still good, even if the pointless (by the game's own admission, no less) epilogue ruined it. I sadly got spoiled on Cold Steel 3 and 4 and I gotta say... what the hell?
(Not going to say more in case you haven't been spoiled yet)

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Alright, i think in that case, i'll make two save files, one for the normal end and one where i work on getting the true end. Atelier Rorona DX (specifically the DX version) also has a post-game that unlocks if you manage to at least get the normal end. Though it only lasts for one in-game year.

Yeah. I''ll say this though: her JP voice does work better in the Arland trilogy. Still prefer her English voice though. Atelier Meruru is the only one where i'd say i prefer Rorona's JP voice.

That is a good idea, definitely.

I can see why, considering she gets turned into a kid again.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yep, Nepgear will join soon.

Anyway, since you're close to Ch.5, here's the requirements for getting the Normal and True Ends (i'm copying this from a guide)

Reveal hidden contents

Normal End: You need to acquire 5 items from events in Chapter 5 and Chapter 6. The five items required are, IF’s Notebook, Compa’s Syringe, Nep’s Pudding, Stuffed Doll and Peashy’s Drawing.

At the start of Chapter 5, view the events for IF and for Peashy and you will get IF’s Notebook and Compa’s Syringe. After you do one of the other town’s and beat the boss and clear the event, return to Planeptune for a new event there. At the end of that event you will obtain Nep’s Pudding. This is missable if you do not do this before completing all three nation events, so return as soon as you complete the first one.

At the start of Chapter 6, view Peashy’s event for Peashy’s Drawing and the remaining item, Stuffed Doll, is unlocked naturally by story progression.

True End: Do the same things you did for the Normal End but to get the True Ending you also have to view events in 6 optional dungeons. Unlocking these dungeons can be a bit time consuming depending on how many optional dungeons you’ve done along the way and how far you’ve progressed in Stella’s Dungeon. These optional dungeons are: So Shal Forest, Keraga Dimension, Pii Shii Game Factory, Graphic Pass, Vida Dimension and Powerlevel Island. 

There will be a dungeon called the Extradimensional Space that unlocks near the end of the game. Do not complete this dungeon without getting the six events in the six dungeons listed. If you do, you'll be locked out of the true end.

Keeping my eyes even more open for every dungeon development plan starting now.
Not gonna lie, this sounds incredibly confusing right now. Perhaps it'll make more sense once I reach Chapter 5 for myself.

I'm happy Nepgear will join. On that note: I do wonder if any Makers become playable at some point. In the other two games, it took a long, long while unit you get even two people with HDD. In this, you get three right off the bat and no Maker to speak of. I now understand why you and Shrimperor said they get shafted in this game.

Not going to say more in case you haven't been spoiled yet

i  was able to keep myself almost spoiler free. Although there is some stuff i know  i am not really looking forward to.

I do wonder if any Makers become playable at some point.

ermm, they should've joined in Chapter 1. I don't know about the Vita version, but in the PC version they are basically free DLC. Check the DLC menu for ''additional Character pack''

Edited by Shrimperor

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

ermm, they should've joined in Chapter 1. I don't know about the Vita version, but in the PC version they are basically free DLC. Check the DLC menu for ''additional Character pack''

That explains a lot, then. I haven't gotten any DLC for this game or the previous two (except the Japanese voice over). I didn't get the DLC because I wanted to experience the game the way it was released without any additional content.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

i  was able to keep myself almost spoiler free. Although there is some stuff i know  i am not really looking forward to.

I'm honestly considering just skipping out on Cold Steel 3 and 4 after what I've read of it.
The plot ran a bit too wild in Cold Steel 2 already, and there were several things that bothered me in how the story was told, like the deus ex-machina glory hogs that come to save your butt from bosses you've already beaten to a pulp every. freaking. time. The implementation of the romance stuff was terrible, too, and I do not expect that to be much better in the following games (for clarification: I was only spoiled on what happens in the story proper. Not any side stuff).

Edited by DragonFlames

32 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I didn't get the DLC because I wanted to experience the game the way it was released without any additional content. 

While i am usually like that, Makers is one of the biggest Highlights of the Series for me. Playing without them just feels wrong tbh. Not to mention PC version already comes with them anyway and i only had to activate them 😄

I'm honestly considering just skipping out on Cold Steel 3 and 4 after what I've read of it.

I wouldn't go that far, but the series isn't high priority/first day buy to me anymore thanks to CS2

I'm looking forward to Ys9 much much more

The plot ran a bit too wild in Cold Steel 2 already, and there were several things that bothered me in how the story was told, like the deus ex-machina glory hogs that come to save your butt from bosses you've already beaten to a pulp every. freaking. time.

I  could write an essay of what i didn't like in CS2, but that isn't the thread for it tbh. I'll link you to my old essay on reddit instead if you're interested xD

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/81bbdd/my_thoughts_about_cs2_or_how_a_line_at_the_end_of/

CS2 is, sadly, at most a 5/10 for me. Compared to 8/10 FC, 9.5/10 SC, 9/10 3rd and 7/10 CS1.

The implementation of the romance stuff was terrible, too, and I do not expect that to be much better in the following games

Here's what i know: it gets alot better in CS3, where they limit the romance Options to 3 Girls, only to throw it out of the Window in CS4 and make every Girl in Erebonia romanceable.

Afaik also CS3 and CS4 biggest weakpoint is old Class 7.

Edited by Shrimperor

I was not expecting a timed segment in Bloodstained. I had to get from one end of the train to the other and beat the boss in the span of five minutes. Not a problem though because Zangetsu absolutely destroyed that boss for me. I just sat back and relaxed, dodging shit and then hitting the final blow when it was time.

I reached Planeptune in Super Nep and by that, i mean that i didn't reach it at all because the city's underwater apparently. I mean, i knew it was because you can see it on the world map but i didn't expect Planeptune's surface to be basically uninhabited. The area also directly connects to Lastation which directly connects to Lowee. So just like the main continuity, those three countries are connected while Leanbox is it's own island. Also, hi IF.

12 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I sadly got spoiled on Cold Steel 3 and 4 and I gotta say... what the hell?
(Not going to say more in case you haven't been spoiled yet)

I said this before but i saw complete playthroughs of both Cold Steel 3 and 4 subbed in English, as well as English subbed Cold Steel 4's bonding events (by which i mean i just saw all of Alisa's CS4 bonding events and only Alisa's CS4 bonding events because she's the only one that matters best girl).

Anyway, there's definitely stuff that pisses me off in Cold Steel 3 and 4. Since you have read up on what happens, i'll mark down the stuff that pisses me off here in spoilers

Spoiler
  1. Most of the villains suck but that's honestly been a thing since Sky SC. I've just accepted it at this point. Just wanted to get that out.
  2. Cold Steel 3 and 4 really just said "death doesn't matter in this series". I was fine with Crow and Osborne coming back but then Cold Steel 3 kills off Angelica, Tovalt, Victor and Olivert, and i thought killing off Olivert was an extremely courageous (heh) part on Falcom.....but they all come back with no injuries except Victor lost his arm and Olivert got a rather cool eyepatch. I mean, i'm glad they aren't dead, i'm just more upset that Falcom didn't commit. But i also wasn't a fan of the two games bringing back characters that were previously established to be dead. I'm referring to Fie's foster Rutger and Alisa's father, Franz. I'm more pissed off about Franz than i am with Rutger, because it wasn't even Franz himself, it was just the entity known as Black Alberich. At least Rutger was genuinely himself. 
  3. George was with the bad guys all along, huh. How could i have missed all the zero foreshadowing that led to that. George is just Joshua 2 but it didn't work as well.

But i'm not gonna act like there was stuff that i didn't enjoy. There was some pretty good stuff in those games, not gonna lie. Honestly. i'd put the Erebonia arc over the Crossbell arc, tbh. I'd put the Liberl arc over Erebonia though even though like Erebonia's characters more.

Afaik also CS3 and CS4 biggest weakpoint is old Class 7.

I wouldn't say that, since in CS3, Old Class VII are only temporary party members until the end, kinda like how Sky FC handled it's party members. I'd argue some of the stuff i've marked in spoilers are the bigger weakpoints. CS4's biggest weakpoint is that it's basically the Infinity War of the series, except something like that doesn't really work for a story-based game. People talk about the character bloat in the Erebonia arc but Cold Steel 4 is the only one where i'd say it's actually felt.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

The implementation of the romance stuff was terrible, too, and I do not expect that to be much better in the following games

Here's what i know: it gets alot better in CS3, where they limit the romance Options to 3 Girls, only to throw it out of the Window in CS4 and make every Girl in Erebonia romanceable.

Haha it's ok because the romance isn't canon anyways.

Spoiler

I call bullshit on that btw because Cold Steel 3 and 4 really push for the Rean/Alisa pairing. How the fuck are you gonna tell me Rean has no canonical romantic interest, Falcom? 

Mega edit

I completed Ch.7 of Atelier Lulua. Revisting the Ster Highlands was great. Fun seeing the place in HD, even if they greatly reduced it's size (in Atelier Rorona, there's like 7 different sections to the Ster Highlands whereas there's only three in Lulua).

Gotta say, i was surprised at a revelation from one of Sterk's events

Spoiler

Lulua was adopted. This whole time, i thought she was Rorona's biological daughter. Her being adopted makes a lot more sense now, considering her ties to the orphanage. It also answers things like

• Why she wasn't mentioned during Atelier Totori and Meruru.
  • Who's the father (i mean, technically this is still unanswered as i doubt i'll find out who Lulua's birth parents were).

The only question that remains is when was Lulua adopted. Was it during the Arland trilogy? Or was it in the time frame between Atelier Meruru and Atelier Lulua? I suppose it doesn't really matter but it's something to think about.

Anyway, now i gotta take on some dragons to progress the plot. I got destroyed. Time to synthesize and also level up, i've been in the Lv.30s for like the past three chapters.

Edited by Armagon

On 6/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, Armagon said:

Eyyy. I know you're playing the Switch version like me and you were a bit concerned regarding the comparisons to the other versions. Is it working out for you fine?

Let me count the ways it isn't working fine for me:

• An area in Livre ex Machina was previously unreachable due to lag in between screens (it felt like I was moving from a major area to the next, with that amount of load time). This was the screen where I had to jump up to the room where you had to shelf-surf (lol, ok, manipulate a bookshelf to take you through an area filled with spikes)
  • The initial room in Garden of Silence had some slowdown  with three enemies (Barbatos, Flytrap, Plume Parma)
  • Game crashing a grand total of twice so far

All these details (which maybe dealbreakers for some, particularly that first thing I mentioned)  notwithstanding, I'm still having fun.

20 minutes ago, Karimlan said:
  • An area in Livre ex Machina was previously unreachable due to lag in between screens (it felt like I was moving from a major area to the next, with that amount of load time). This was the screen where I had to jump up to the room where you had to shelf-surf (lol, ok, manipulate a bookshelf to take you through an area filled with spikes)
  • The initial room in Garden of Silence had some slowdown  with three enemies (Barbatos, Flytrap, Plume Parma)
  • Game crashing a grand total of twice so far

All of this has happened to me as well, though i've only had the game crash once and i usually only get slowdown when playing in handheld. Glad to see you're enjoying the game though.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

While i am usually like that, Makers is one of the biggest Highlights of the Series for me. Playing without them just feels wrong tbh. Not to mention PC version already comes with them anyway and i only had to activate them 😄

Ah, I see. No such luck on the Vita version, I'm afraid.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I wouldn't go that far, but the series isn't high priority/first day buy to me anymore thanks to CS2

I'm looking forward to Ys9 much much more

I  could write an essay of what i didn't like in CS2, but that isn't the thread for it tbh. I'll link you to my old essay on reddit instead if you're interested xD

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/81bbdd/my_thoughts_about_cs2_or_how_a_line_at_the_end_of/

With the exception of the parts where you compared to Trails in the Sky, you almost word-for-word voiced my thoughts with your essay. And that's only because I haven't played the Sky games.

I said this before but i saw complete playthroughs of both Cold Steel 3 and 4 subbed in English, as well as English subbed Cold Steel 4's bonding events (by which i mean i just saw all of Alisa's CS4 bonding events and only Alisa's CS4 bonding events because she's the only one that matters best girl).

Anyway, there's definitely stuff that pisses me off in Cold Steel 3 and 4. Since you have read up on what happens, i'll mark down the stuff that pisses me off here in spoilers

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Most of the villains suck but that's honestly been a thing since Sky SC. I've just accepted it at this point. Just wanted to get that out.
  2. Cold Steel 3 and 4 really just said "death doesn't matter in this series". I was fine with Crow and Osborne coming back but then Cold Steel 3 kills off Angelica, Tovalt, Victor and Olivert, and i thought killing off Olivert was an extremely courageous (heh) part on Falcom.....but they all come back with no injuries except Victor lost his arm and Olivert got a rather cool eyepatch. I mean, i'm glad they aren't dead, i'm just more upset that Falcom didn't commit. But i also wasn't a fan of the two games bringing back characters that were previously established to be dead. I'm referring to Fie's foster Rutger and Alisa's father, Franz. I'm more pissed off about Franz than i am with Rutger, because it wasn't even Franz himself, it was just the entity known as Black Alberich. At least Rutger was genuinely himself. 
  3. George was with the bad guys all along, huh. How could i have missed all the zero foreshadowing that led to that. George is just Joshua 2 but it didn't work as well.

Of the female characters, I ended up liking Fie the most.

As for the spoiler-part: What the f***? I knew about all of that already, but I still have to ask that question, because it is frankly baffling. Also (spoiler for the True End of CS4)

apparently, Millium and Jusis are a thing now. When? How? Nothing in CS 1 or 2 pointed to any possible romance.

Haha it's ok because the romance isn't canon anyways.

Doesn't change that it's implementation sucks. They could throw it out and literally nothing would change in the narrative. Granted, it's arguably the same for the Persona games, but the romance there feels a hell of a lot more impactful than here, where they have to contrive up reasons not to carry it over into the next game.

But Shrimperor was right, this isn't the thread to discuss such things.

Mega edit

I completed Ch.7 of Atelier Lulua. Revisting the Ster Highlands was great. Fun seeing the place in HD, even if they greatly reduced it's size (in Atelier Rorona, there's like 7 different sections to the Ster Highlands whereas there's only three in Lulua).

Gotta say, i was surprised at a revelation from one of Sterk's events

Reveal hidden contents

Lulua was adopted. This whole time, i thought she was Rorona's biological daughter. Her being adopted makes a lot more sense now, considering her ties to the orphanage. It also answers things like

• Why she wasn't mentioned during Atelier Totori and Meruru.
  • Who's the father (i mean, technically this is still unanswered as i doubt i'll find out who Lulua's birth parents were).

The only question that remains is when was Lulua adopted. Was it during the Arland trilogy? Or was it in the time frame between Atelier Meruru and Atelier Lulua? I suppose it doesn't really matter but it's something to think about.

Anyway, now i gotta take on some dragons to progress the plot. I got destroyed. Time to synthesize and also level up, i've been in the Lv.30s for like the past three chapters.

Gotta love how Sterk got all nervous when he asked Lulua who her dad is. Guy crushes on Rorona pretty hard.

Tbh, I don't blame him.

I love how casual the reveal was, too, despite being kind of a big deal for the character in question.
And yeah, levels in the 30s in Chapter 7 is kinda low, to be honest. Especially considering what's coming up soon. Luckily, enemies from now on give a crapton of experience, so quick level ups shouldn't be THAT much of a problem. I hope.

------

Continuing on with Re;Birth 3, I finally reached the "dreaded" Chapter 5. I got Compa's Syringe and IF's Notebook, so just three more items to go. A few things I'd like to mention:

Nepgear betrayed Neptune for a minute, Noire turned from awkward Tsundere to arrogant b**** (needless to say, I prefer her "original" version). Luckily, Karma hits in all the right places for both of them.
One of the bad guys came back with a brand new, hilarious personality. The Seven Sages are, so far, my favorite villainous group in the Neptunia games. I'm interested in what that vaguely camp-sounding guy actually looks like. His outline makes him look like a reimagining of CFW Brave.
I also finally got my hands on Neptune Break. Damn, that attack is as awesome as ever. Had Neptune get some retribution for a certain slight with it - I don't take kindly to traitors. As a semi-related note: SP-recharging items just became a LOT more useful to me than they have been in the past two games. I have decided on not getting Plutia's EXE Drive, since I mostly use her for healing purposes and why spend MB on something I'll never make use of?
Loved the back-to-back boss fights at the end of Chapter 4, too.
I was also happy that Nepgear pointed out the fact that a certain someone has a form similar to what she had to face at the end of Re;Birth 2.
IF was a brat, even as a baby/small child. Holy crap. She might be one of the only characters I genuinely dislike in this franchise (the other being Underling). On the flipside, Plutia is well on her way to becoming at least my second favorite of the CPU characters, both as Plutia and as Sadie.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Alisa's CS4 bonding events because she's the only one that matters best girl

You know, you just declared war with these few words.

*evades spoiler tags*

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

And that's only because I haven't played the Sky games.

What are you waiting for?

Of the female characters, I ended up liking Fie the most.

*high-fives*

She was definetly my fav. of the CS girls. Her and Jusis are the only Characters in CS i consider to be up to par with the rest of Trails.

where they have to contrive up reasons not to carry it over into the next game.

Yup. Like if Rean appears in the next game, will he appear alone just because of the bonding? Or will they decide to go with Alisa and piss of the fans of every other girl?

Systems where you have to choose something doesn't work in games with continuity like Trails. Except if from now on we can carry over our CS romance into every other Trails Game. Or maybe Rean won't ever appear again (would be the best thing tbh.)

The Seven Sages are, so far, my favorite villainous group in the Neptunia games.

The Seven sages are 👌

Had Neptune get some retribution for a certain slight with it - I don't take kindly to traitors.

Ahaha. There was a discussion the other day on reddit on how Nep betrayed Gear, and not the other way around (the Neppit Nep subreddit is home to the Nepgear cult xD). I just viewed the situation as comedic as it is. 

I have decided on not getting Plutia's EXE Drive, since I mostly use her for healing purposes and why spend MB on something I'll never make use of?

Plutia's Exe is the dope tho. Especially when she's Sadie

IF was a brat, even as a baby/small child.

You are being kinda hard on her xD

Oh well, something will happen soon that will make you happy then

On the flipside, Plutia is well on her way to becoming at least my second favorite of the CPU characters, both as Plutia and as Sadie.

😄

Plutia is the controversial Character me and Armagon were talking about before. People either lover her or hate her. 

For me, she fits the Humor of the Series to a T.

Edited by Shrimperor

35 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As for the spoiler-part: What the f***? I knew about all of that already, but I still have to ask that question, because it is frankly baffling. Also (spoiler for the True End of CS4)

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Nah. Jusis and Millium are certainly close but not in the romantic way.

Also speaking of the true end, i just wanna say that the true ending is great. It brought a big ol' smile to my face.

37 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I love how casual the reveal was, too, despite being kind of a big deal for the character in question.

It was so casual that i had to do a double take. Like, i didn't expect it at all.

Spoiler

And yeah, Sterk has a very obvious crush on Rorona. He's been like that since the first game. C'mon Sterk, ask her out. It's been 21 years already.

43 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

IF was a brat, even as a baby/small child. Holy crap. She might be one of the only characters I genuinely dislike in this franchise

Oof

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

🙂

28 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yup. Like if Rean appears in the next game, will he appear alone just because of the bonding?

If Rean appears in the next arc, which he will (have to specify arc here because the next game seems to technically be a Cold Steel game but not at the same time. No one really knows what the new game actually is, other than the fact that it isn't a numbered game), whoever he was paired up with in the Cold Steel games won't matter. There's actually precedent for this in the series, and it didn't start with Rean.

Spoiler

It started with Lloyd. Yeah, bonding events were a thing starting with Trails to Zero, they just didn't actually have gameplay effects until Cold Steel. And yeah, you could pair up Lloyd with any of the playable girls in the Crossbell games but it didn't matter come Cold Steel 3 and 4. Hell, even Cold Steel 2. You could pair up Lloyd and Rixia and Cold Steel 2 acts like it didn't happen.

In other words, yes i agree the romance implementation was a mistake. There's nothing wrong with the bonding events themselves though. I think those are pretty great.

36 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Plutia is the controversial Character me and Armagon were talking about before. People either lover her or hate her. 

For me, she fits the Homur of the Series to a T.

Big agree.

And the other controversial part of ReBirth 3 is how Nepgear is treated. Some people don't like even the game itself makes fun of Nepgear but honestly, i thought it was funny. This series already makes fun of it's own character but making fun of Nepgear is crossing the line? Like, what?

42 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*evades spoiler tags*

What are you waiting for?

For the games to be released on systems that I can actually play them on. My laptop can't run the basic DS emulator without hiccup-ing a few times and on the Vita, only Sky SC is available. No FC in sight.

*high-fives*

She was definetly my fav. of the CS girls. Her and Jusis are the only Characters in CS i consider to be up to par with the rest of Trails.

Yup. Like if Rean appears in the next game, will he appear alone just because of the bonding? Or will they decide to go with Alisa and piss of the fans of every other girl?

Systems where you have to choose something doesn't work in games with continuity like Trails. Except if from now on we can carry over our CS romance into every other Trails Game. Or maybe Rean won't ever appear again (would be the best thing tbh.)

That's exactly why it does work in Persona. Because the Persona games all stand on their own two feet, unlike Trails, even though the romance/bonding stuff itself is pretty similar in a vacuum.

Ahaha. There was a discussion the other day on reddit on how Nep betrayed Gear, and not the other way around (the Neppit Nep subreddit is home to the Nepgear cult xD). I just viewed the situation as comedic as it is.

Me too. I just thought it was "appropriate" to use Neptune Break on her. Then Sadie happened...

You are being kinda hard on her xD

Oh well, something will happen soon that will make you happy then

I don't exactly want anything bad to happen to her, though. Unless it's Sadie. Then go for it.

😄

For me, she fits the Homur of the Series to a T.

Exactly my thoughts.
I figured she was the one you meant, but I personally didn't see the controversial. Sure, the contrast between Plutia and Sadie may be jarring (even though it is hinted that Plutia might be a sadist even without HDD), but it's not much "worse" than Blanc's split personality (though she is probably not that good of an example, as her "other" side shows up even without HDD) or Neptune's complete 180 (even then, Purple Heart still retains some of the silliness Neptune has, which comes across as even funnier when it comes up). Even Sadie isn't all dominatrix-style sadism. She still has Plutia's genuinely nice side, just a strange way of showing it, see the prison scene in Lowee with Blanc.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Big agree.

And the other controversial part of ReBirth 3 is how Nepgear is treated. Some people don't like even the game itself makes fun of Nepgear but honestly, i thought it was funny. This series already makes fun of it's own character but making fun of Nepgear is crossing the line? Like, what?

Ditto on that one. I only had one short moment where I was like "Why would you leave Nepgear behind?!?" but that was only because I wanted her to become playable right at that point.
I love how she gains completely useless traits, too. The fourth wall isn't even a thing at this point. XD

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It was so casual that i had to do a double take. Like, i didn't expect it at all.

Reveal hidden contents

And yeah, Sterk has a very obvious crush on Rorona. He's been like that since the first game. C'mon Sterk, ask her out. It's been 21 years already.

Well, to be fair, he seems to be older than Rorona by a sizable number of years. Rorona starts her game at 14 years, was it? If we assume that he's in his mid to late 40s in Lulua (a number I came up with based on his looks and speech patterns, which occasionally reference his apparently advanced age), he'd be at least ten whole years older than her. Maybe that's why he has reservations?

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For the games to be released on systems that I can actually play them on. My laptop can't run the basic DS emulator without hiccup-ing

DS Emulators are trash tho. Even my current PC, which can run Megadimension and Cyberdimension, get hiccups when running DS emulators. It's what killed my motivation to play Soma Bringer, and that sucks because that's a Monolith Soft game that i wanna play but can't. And i can't really find any settings to help me like i did when trying to get the Xenosaga trilogy to run mostly fine on my PC.

I recommend getting a PSP emulator and running the PSP version of Trails in the Sky. See if that works. 

Spoiler

Well, to be fair, he seems to be older than Rorona by a sizable number of years

Spoiler

Yeah, Sterk is 11 years older than Rorona so him having a crush on a 14-year old girl at the age of 25 raises some eyebrows but by the time of Atelier Totori, both him and Rorona are adults and the age gap doesn't really matter by then.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's nothing wrong with the bonding events themselves though.

Not with how they are implemented, and how plot details are some times locked/hidden behind them. They also make it all revolve around 1 character. If they did it like FE support it would've been much better.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This series already makes fun of it's own character but making fun of Nepgear is crossing the line? Like, what?

Nepgear cult is kinda hard to please xD

I myself loved the Gear bullying tbh.

26 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For the games to be released on systems that I can actually play them on. My laptop can't run the basic DS emulator without hiccup-ing a few times and on the Vita, only Sky SC is available. No FC in sight.

A Toaster can run it, literally xD. I played the trilogy on my old weak ass laptop, too. Not to mention Sky3rd doesn't have a portable version.

However, this migh help you: 

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-trails-in-the-sky-fc-evolution-english-patch.472727/ 

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-trails-in-the-sky-sc-evolution-english-patch.495971/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-trails-in-the-sky-the-3rd-evolution-english-patch.531268/

However, do note that the music and art are quite bad in the evolution version, and there are some gameplay changes that i heard aren't the best, either. However there are some nice CGs, atleast.

26 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I love how she gains completely useless traits, too. The fourth wall isn't even a thing at this point. XD

it's perfect tbh.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I recommend getting a PSP emulator and running the PSP version of Trails in the Sky.

PSP version has the old TL tho

Edited by Shrimperor

Well, I got five games from the Steam summer sale: Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition,  Ikaruga, Shenmue I & II, Slay the Spire, and Yakuza 0

Then yesterday I used my remaining $1.25 to buy Insaniquarium Deluxe for $1.24 LOL

So... I guess I'm playing all of those rn, lol

I thought the dragon boss in the volcano in Atelier Lulua was gonna kick my ass because it had no weakness but it went down on my first try. Compare that to the dragons at the top of the Ster Highlands which kicked my ass a few times. Also i think i may end up getting all the character endings after all, considering how quickly friendship seems to increase. Getting the Curry Ending is gonna take a lot of work though. Also i fucked around with the Change BGM option and it's too powerful.

As for Bloodstained, i beat Not Sonic and got the Ray Reflector (i think that's what it's called), which basically turn Miriam into a glowing sphrere go really fast and bounce off walls. Useful for getting into narrow places and reaching places i normally can't with the double jump. Now i'm back in the cathedral area except i can go to the upper sections i couldn't before. Just gotta beat the vampire lady who's kicking my ass. And she heals too. Fuck. It's at this point where i really wish bosses had HP bars. Why don't they have HP bars? Let me see how close i am to killing them.

On 6/30/2019 at 3:40 PM, Armagon said:

Damn, the boss of the Tower of Twin Dragons in Bloodstained fucked me in the ass like three times. I was not prepared for a two headed dragon (i should've been, it's in the name of the area) that could spew out high-knockback fire from both mouths and attacks that cover nearly most of the screen. Beat it on my fourth try though.

Beat it silly with a Greatsword and its appropriate Expertise shard. Added an increased-grade Welcome Company for good measure. 

Valac's attack patterns are fun (read: annoying), particularly that twin bite.