Soooooo what'cha playing?

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Nah, enemies generally did feel more tanky in this game. It's not just you.

Yeah, that kinda upset me too when i played the game. They do get post-game events, which is nice. So if you wanted more of them in ReBirth 3, the post-game should offer that for you.

Anyway, it's great that you enjoyed the game, especially since ReBirth 3 is a bit unpopular among the community.

Since you plan on starting Megadimension soon, imma drop the ending requirements here. It's less straightforward than ReBirth 3's and there's quite a bit to it and also it starts really early and spans nearly the whole story. If you miss even one, you lock yourself out of the true ending. Here are the requirements, spoiler-free like last time.

Reveal hidden contents

Bad Ending: Don't do anything.

Normal Ending:

Zero Dimension arc: View every event.

Hyperdimension arc: This arc is split into four stories. You can complete the stories in any order but be sure to get all the requirements. They are:

• Neptune's Story: 
    • Before going to “Sakura Tree Row”, be sure to complete the guild quest “First Some Practice” to kill 8 Dogoos. You can find them in the only other dungeon available at this point “First-Gen CPU Sanctuary.” After completing this quest and turning it in, be sure to view the Histoire event under “Converse”.
    • After you complete “Sakura Tree Row”, view the new event with Histoire and Compa which will unlock a new question at the guild.
    • Accept “Histy’s Extermination Request 1” from the guild. This quest can also be completed in “First-Gen CPUs Sanctuary Dungeon”. The quest is to kill 10 Delinquent Cats
    • After completing “Histy’s Extermination Request 1” and turning it in, view the event that follows and accept “Histy’s Extermination Request 2” from the guild and head back to “Sakura Tree Row”. This quest requires you to kill 10 Red Dogoos.
    • After completing “Histy’s Extermination Request 2”, view the event that follows.
    • Last but not least, be sure you get your Share % to 60+. The easiest way to do this is by boosting “Public Relations” under “Investment” or by doing quests from the guild.
  • Noire, Blanc and Vert's Stories: Raise the Shares of their respective nations to at least 40% and watch each of their daydream events.

Heart Dimension arc: At one point in the Heart Dimension, there will be four events across the world map. Don't watch them.

True Ending: Do all of the Normal End requirements but this time actually watch the four events in Heart Dimension.

If you're scared that you might fuck up, i recommend doing multiple saves. That's what i did.

I can see why some people would feel Re;Birth 3 is not that great, since it does have some weaknesses the first two Re;Birth games didn't have. I still liked it. 

I haven't clicked on the spoiler yet, will do it once I start MegaNep proper and am stumped as to what to do.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Nah, not your imagination. It's one of the 3 main reason i rated it lower then R;B1 (The other reasons being Makers getting the shaft, and overplaying Nep's laziness way too fucking much.)

From what i noticed, it's just a loud (Nepgear) minority. R;B3 is still rated higher then R;B2, even on Gear's cult Homebase, a poll there put R;B3 above R;B2.

Also, i don't think you should've posted the true ending requirements now. It's a bit spoilery + some stuff isn't really correct.

I'd actually agree to this one. It's like "if she really was that lazy, why does Planeptune have any followers at all?"
Also, the fact that everybody seems to always try and find reasons to mock Plutia and Neptune, even when it's not entirely justified, especially Noire and Blanc, bothered me a lot towards the end, since, like IF's behavior toward the end of Re;Birth 1, at one point it just stops being playful banter and funny stuff and becomes outright hostility.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'd actually agree to this one. It's like "if she really was that lazy, why does Planeptune have any followers at all?"

Not to mention it goes against her established Character in R;B1(a girl who, more then anything, loves to make people happy, and pudding(the pudding is important)). Different dimension at all, but it's still the same character.

I expect her to be paperwork lazy yes, but when she refused to help others and had to pushed around by Histoire first felt pretty OOC

44 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, the fact that everybody seems to always try and find reasons to mock Plutia and Neptune

Eh, didn't mind that that much, especially when everyone in the game got bullied. Especially Nepgear xD.

46 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I haven't clicked on the spoiler yet, will do it once I start MegaNep proper and am stumped as to what to do.

View the ending requirements once you finish the first arc, i say. Just make sure to view every event.

Unlike the other games, MegaNep's requirements start from early game.

I have completed two games earlier this week.

First was the ps4 port of Gravity Rush. I enjoyed it, a few games I played have an interesting way of having movement. Hovering over the city manipulating gravity in any direction was a neat experience. So there are few magical girl games so the tone was different than the usual fair.

Also completed Batman Arkham Asylum. The attention of detail that went into creating the island is impressive. The mixture of the weathered gothic architecture combined with the futuristic setting is quite a sight. The stealth and combat section may be bare ones compared to the later games in the series but it's serviceable here. One of the biggest weakness I feel in the game is the boss fights. Fighting the same titan goon for the 6th times gets old as feel as using the same formula of all of the bosses in the game of throwing the Batarang then beat them up. Voice work was talented getting most of the major VA from the animated series. Just like Spiderman Ps4, I felt the game was better than the sum of its parts.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Trails in the Sky SC?

The final dungeon is the doooooooooooppppppeeeeeee

The dungeon put me asleep.

But the music is 100% fitting, it absoultely fits to the dull and linear designed dungeon.

So disappointing and anticlimatic for this game's standard.

FC's final dungeon was not too amazing either, but it least it was not completly 100% straightforward and the music was decent.

Edited by Rosalina

6 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Without a guide it is nearly impossible.

???

What part about the final chapter is impossible without a guide?

6 hours ago, Rosalina said:

And I have heared that the final dungeon is not fun either... 

The final dungeon is fine. The final boss isn't but outside of two exceptions, Trails doesn't know how to make fun final bosses so it's just something to be expected.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Joking aside, what would you say the games strong points and weak points are?

I'm still in Planeptune so i'm probably at the beginning of the mid game but the strong points is definitely the writing. While it's not as funny as mainline Nep, it's still pretty humorous. It's got plenty of the series charm, which is what i expect. I'd say that despite being a spin-off, this one feels more like a mainline game. The spin-offs all have some wacky premise (and i mean in comparison to mainline because mainline can also be pretty wacky) whereas this one kinda goes back to the roots. The artstyle is also very much a strong point. All of the background are beautiful. Weak points, i'd say some of the animations, the fact that some NPCs literally don't say anything and that the dungeons themselves aren't very interesting. I have yet to see any copypasted dungeons, which is a series first but the dungeons themselves are still pretty basic.

Combat is kinda in the middle because while it is good, it definitely doesn't reach the heights of the mainline series.

So far though, the game is pretty good. I am finding it better played in short bursts, which is fine. I think Neptunia games lend themselves well for short burst plays. The fact that i have the game on the Switch makes it pretty easy to do that too.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I haven't clicked on the spoiler yet

Good cause i reworded it. I had the arcs listed by what they're actually called, which i don't consider spoilers but i went back and simply renamed them "1, 2, 3".

But yeah, as Shrimperor said, you should probably check it when you get to the 2nd arc. The requirements in the first arc is literally just view every event.

I'm in the middle of an optimized Awakening playthrough (on the side really, just for when I wanna dick around and play Awakening because it's my favorite game of all time, also just for Future's Past perfect runs and Apotheosis), and playing each of the fates games side by side (rotate games each chapter) just to see which one I click to most. I'm almost done with that and when I do finish, I'm gonna move on to Echoes, but that'll most definitely be put on the back burner if it clashes with Three Houses.

A LOT of Minecraft with my buddies on Discord

I was recently gifted Danganronpa by a friend on Steam, and we agreed to play it together over Discord screen share. After this one, we'll move on to the sequel and V3. My bank account won't be so happy.

As you can tell, I shuffle through a lot of games. I haven't found any games that I'm sticking to yet. Hopefully, I will. My way of playing games is so inefficient, I'm awful at finishing them.

Also a lot of Papers, Please.

1 minute ago, Rosalina said:

The gospel thing, like getting the answers to the first gospel password.

That's.......not really impossible without a guide. 

Also I missed the (bonus) chests while the rescue of Kyle and Don which was a bit mean. 

Still battles are much easier than FC in normal mode. 

Can almost speedrun the bosses with strength buffing and S-break chains. 

Edited by Rosalina

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

May I ask for your world preferences? Gameplay design, aesthetics, or both.

I'm not sure if you mean preferences between games or within this particular game, but I can't stop this rant incoming:

Spoiler

BT's levels are too big and empty. This is the same criticism I had of DK64 earlier this year. You could shrink their size by 20% and immediately have a more playable experience getting from point A to point B. And with how much the game asks you to switch characters, that is a lot of point A to point B backtracking. Levels are so large that the Talon Trot feels slow in this game, while it felt recklessly fast in the previous game. The near constant frame drops and loading zones within a level also add to your playtime. The warp pads feel like a crutch to smooth over bloated level design. I can't stress enough though how good those warp pads are in BT, especially compared to DK64. The warp pads exist in named areas, which is much better than trying to remember 5 pairs of numbered pads in a DK64 level.

Biggest and most frustrating difference in BT level design is how you need to open up the levels before you can do...anything. That sort of progression in a level might feel as gratifying as grabbing collectibles can. But in this game it's just constant roadblocks when you enter a level which is frustrating. I spent a solid hour in Grunty Industries and felt despair when I realized I had collected no jiggies yet, just various shortcuts, warps, and other odds and ends. A whole hour with no substantial progression. In fact, Grunty Industries feels like the perfect storm of Banjo Tooie level design. Here's an exercise. Look at the description of things you need to do to collect jiggies in that level. And compare it to the first game's sixth level. It's so much more busy work. All that compounded on how Grunty Industries forces you to enter the level by train, rather than a front entrance until you can unlock the front entrance.

As for aesthetics, there are obvious improvements in Tooie, though my mind is always on the gameplay experience. I do like that these levels feel more like areas that exist realistically on the Isle of Hags. In the first game, Grunty's castle may as well have had Mario 64 paintings because the pathways leading to such different biomes is just nonsensical. Banjo never truly walked into those levels in the first game - he is seen warping in as the stage begins.

And ever try the GBA game? It's sorta okay-ish, but nowhere near a match for either 64 title.

Nope, I am only vaguely aware of this game's existence. 

2 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Also completed Batman Arkham Asylum. Just like Spiderman Ps4, I felt the game was better than the sum of its parts.

One thing I like from both games are the constant references to previous Batman/Spider-man media. You can tell in both games that our hero has been doing this for a very long time with all the history compounded into the secrets. The villain interviews in the asylum are a very special treat too, allowing them to represent more characters than who turns up in the campaign.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

O.o

Even with the Hype bosses? O.o

The conversations are interesting, if the certain character is brought. 

Otherwise the fights theirselves have been easy and short. 

I did not need more than two minutes per fight for the four beaten so far. 

Honestly the tunnel would have made more sense for the final dungeon, at least the music which I would find really fitting for a final dungeon. 

17 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

I did not need more than two minutes per fight for the four beaten so far. 

Wth.

Such a massive difference between Normal and hard, eh? On Hard/Nightmare it took me 15-35 Minutes/fight each haha

Edited by Shrimperor

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm still in Planeptune so i'm probably at the beginning of the mid game but the strong points is definitely the writing. While it's not as funny as mainline Nep, it's still pretty humorous. It's got plenty of the series charm, which is what i expect. I'd say that despite being a spin-off, this one feels more like a mainline game. The spin-offs all have some wacky premise (and i mean in comparison to mainline because mainline can also be pretty wacky) whereas this one kinda goes back to the roots. The artstyle is also very much a strong point. All of the background are beautiful. Weak points, i'd say some of the animations, the fact that some NPCs literally don't say anything and that the dungeons themselves aren't very interesting. I have yet to see any copypasted dungeons, which is a series first but the dungeons themselves are still pretty basic.

Combat is kinda in the middle because while it is good, it definitely doesn't reach the heights of the mainline series.

So far though, the game is pretty good. I am finding it better played in short bursts, which is fine. I think Neptunia games lend themselves well for short burst plays. The fact that i have the game on the Switch makes it pretty easy to do that too.

Okay, I can agree with most of these points. I enjoy it for its simplicity, though. What's wrong with the animations? I thought they were cute.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm not sure if you mean preferences between games or within this particular game, but I can't stop this rant incoming:

Either or both games. I'm just curious. My connection to these games is extant but really old, so I like hearing the opinion of a learned player of them.

4 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

What's wrong with the animations?

I mainly referring to the walk, run, and dash animations, as well as the animations for some of the enemies. They aren't bad, they just could've used more polish. But that's just what i mentioned. The battle and idle animations for the characters are good and cute.

6 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

One thing I like from both games are the constant references to previous Batman/Spider-man media. You can tell in both games that our hero has been doing this for a very long time with all the history compounded into the secrets. The villain interviews in the asylum are a very special treat too, allowing them to represent more characters than who turns up in the campaign.

I do agree it's refreshing to see that in their first outing that Batman and Spiderman have been superheroes for years rather than most adaptations that have heroes in their first/second outings.

With 864 Power Moons in total, I'm almost done with Super Mario Odyssey. I have only sixteen left: ten Moons from Hint Art, the achievement for getting fifteen Moons from Hint Art, the dreaded jump-rope and volleyball challenges, and the Multi Moon from the Darker Side. I'm saving the Darker Side for last so hopefully the jump-rope and volleyball won't take too long.

I'm on a break from Octopath at the moment, so maybe I'll resume Bayonetta 2 once I'm done with Odyssey. Or perhaps I could play through Xenoblade 2 again...

9 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Wth.

Such a massive difference between Normal and hard, eh? On Hard/Nightmare it took me 15-35 Minutes/fight each haha

I am grinding CP from the regular battles to use S-crafts in the boss fight early on.

Double strength buff (Estelle, Zin) and four S-breaks are usually enough to do these battles without giving the opponents a turn. 

Beaten final boss. 

The design, place and music were fantastic. 

However he was quite passive, rarely attacked. 

Took a bit time to take him down, but he was less threatening than expected. 

Although I still have to do the post-game, I can say already that I really enjoyed the game overall. I wished the final dungeon would have been better designed. It was straightforward as boring it was. And I am surprised how manageable normal for me since I had so much trouble in FC. But I guess the main reason is that I had only very limited party size and resources in FC for the most time. 

Anyways Third is next and I am really excited about it. 

Edited by Rosalina

3 hours ago, Rosalina said:

Anyways Third is next and I am really excited about it. 

a small tip: If you found SC easy on Normal, play 3rd on Hard or Nightmare. 3rd is by far the most heavy gameplay Trails game, and making fights cakewalk will destroy half the game imho

Edited by Shrimperor

Prologue taught me that SC normal =||= Third normal. 

I almost died to that Gilbert reason.

The characters have advanced artes in early game for a reason, so I should use them properly next time. 

Same goes for preventing status ailments. 

Edited by Rosalina

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

I mainly referring to the walk, run, and dash animations, as well as the animations for some of the enemies. They aren't bad, they just could've used more polish. But that's just what i mentioned. The battle and idle animations for the characters are good and cute.

Ah, okay I understand now, and yeah they really could have done a bit more there. There also aren't very many different types of enemies, or is it just me?

38 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

There also aren't very many different types of enemies, or is it just me?

Nah, you're right. But that's a thing with the series in general.

Finished what I set out to accomplish with Pokemon Yellow on my 3DS. Couldn't get a friend to help with the pokedex so I settled for All 129 obtainable pokemon in this particular version. I had a mostly finished playthrough from years ago which was a great foundation to work with. There are some obscure glitches you can use to catch the unobtainable pokemon, you may be familiar with the mew trick, but I felt like if I resorted to that, even to add Mew to my dex, it'd be a slippery slope. Something like "okay, time to get the unobtainable mons. Now I got to evolve these other guys, oh wait I can probably glitch those into my game too" and all of that just breaks the fun of hunting rare pokemon. Yellow version was a surprisingly reasonable game for this sort of challenge, as many evolved pokemon exist in the wild at very low encounter rates. And those low encounter rates are always preferable to the slow process of leveling up a pokemon since there are so few decent grinding spots in the game. When I finished my catching, I only needed to level up eight pokemon for their pokedex entries. The three starters, Dratini, omanyte, doduo, ponyta, and drowzee. That's still several hours of grinding, but it's much more time consuming in later games. The most time consuming tasks were catching kangaskan (only appears in the Safari Zone, which is RNG hell) and leveling up a level 15 dratini to evolve into Dragonite which I used my 12 rare candies to help with since he levels up so slowly.

Whenever I post about a game in this thread, I always rate it. So I guess I could do that for Pokemon Yellow. It was one of my first video games ever so I know it like the back of my hand. I don't think I'm blinded by nostalgia when I make the claim gen 1 still holds up. Maybe if somebody started on later generations they'll find the lack of some features missing to be deal breaking, such as the lack of Move Deleter or Relearner but that's their experiences getting in the way. I also struggled more with inventory space in this playthrough than I even remember struggling. You can own no more than 70 items between your Bag and PC and a thorough playthrough will fill up that space quickly. But really the gameplay is as solid as any pokemon game in practice. The region is very non linear so you can make very exotic teams of pokemon around the time you get Surf. Gym and rival battles feel intense with them being consistently 10-20 levels higher than you. The decision to have status moves fail 25% of the time when the AI uses it is brilliant for these games because learnable move pools are so shallow that dealing with them isn't just an early game concern. The balance between pokemon is wack, but you can make most of them good if you know what you're doing. This is the game where Ratatta carries harder than Charmander for 100% of the game.

I rate Pokemon Yellow a 7.2 out of 10. Possibly the best game on its system, threatened only by Link's Awakening, Gen 2 pokemon games, and I guess Tetris.

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Either or both games. I'm just curious. My connection to these games is extant but really old, so I like hearing the opinion of a learned player of them.

I didn't realize my opinions would be so coveted. Then I will grace you with my rankings of every 3D collectathon I've ever played. And in doing so try to come up with a definition for this made up genre:

Spoiler
  1. Super Mario Odyssey
  2. Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
  5. Banjo Kazooie
  6. Psychonauts
  7. Spyro: A Hero's Tale
  8. Jak&Daxter and the Precursor Legacy
  9. Spyro the Dragon
  10. Banjo Tooie
  11. Yooka-Laylee
  12. Donkey Kong 64
  13. Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
  14. Crash Twinsanity
  15. Gex: Enter the Gecko
  16. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly
  17. Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue
  18. Disney's A Bug's Life

Tentative definition for Collectathon: Must be a 3D platformer. Must have non-linear level design for most of the game. Must be a game where the collecting of items is necessary for progression. Said items necessary for progression must be placed in such a way that the player can pick and choose which ones they want to pursue (put another way, not every playthrough is the same, Mario can collect any 70 stars to reach Bowser)

Why are these not collectathons?:

• Crash Bandicoots 1-4: Linear stages and the only collectible used for progression are the purple crystals at the end of each stage and all are needed to beat the game. That's just a platformer.
    • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus: See above, only keys are needed for progression.
  • Super Mario Sunshine: My most debatable exclusion. While the levels are sufficiently non-linear, the progression is not because not all shines are created equal. To access the final level, all you need to do is beat the seventh objective of each level, which is always a Shadow Mario chase. Additional shines do not contribute to progression, every finished playthrough has gotten those same 49 required shines. And the only shine that (maybe) was intended by the developers to be done out of order was Bianco Hills 2 if you know what to do, everything else is a straight shot to that Shadow Mario chase. If you needed 60 shines to reach bowser that happened to include those 49, I'd call this a collectathon
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2: Occassionally a non-linear level is thrown in there like Beach Bowl Galaxy where exploration leads to a star but these are otherwise linear platformers.
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day: There are no optional objectives in this game and honestly few things to collect. It's only a collectathon is as much as it's trying to parody collectathons
  • Sly 2 Band of Thieves: Much less linear than the first game, but exploration does not typically drive progression. GTA-styled missions do and none are optional.
  • Ratchet and Clank: Exploration and collecting things seldom drives progression.
  • Metroid Prime 1 and 2: While exploration is literally how you are expected to find your way forward, collecting things is not the objective. Yes the Artifacts/Dark Temple Keys are out of the way collectibles needed to beat the game but you always must get all of them. If Samus were tasked to get a certain amount of them, these two games would be collectathons, no joke.