Soooooo what'cha playing?

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

What do you mean by this< besides the gameplay part obviously.

It was just me saying the narrative was what got the attention of the Xeno team, with the gameplay not being a high priority. Xenoblade on the other hand was Takahashi stepping back and doing something less ambitious, taking more of a gameplay-oriented approach.

-It's based on a vague recollection of mine of an old Nintendo Power interview he once did before XC1 released. Sadly though, I don't think NP issues are archived online, it might have for a day, but was then forcibly taken down.

My small comment on the visuals also speaks for itself. If they had gone the pre-rendered backgrounds route Final Fantasy or Chrono Cross or Legend of Dragoon had taken, they would've withstood the test of time better, but pre-rendered has some minor issues of its own.

Poor translation's always make me laugh, so this isn't going to be a problem I don't think.

Hope you know what Legends of Localization is then. That's a good mine for bad transrations.

See, Fire Emblem... again.

I do draw a difference between FE and non-SRPGs however.

In FE, you can expect not everyone to be plot-relevant, when the smallest game still has 32 playable characters. Your standard JRPG is different however, in that you typically have not more than 9 characters. If most of the roster feels irrelevant to the plot in a typical JRPG, it is worse than a typical FE, since ideally, a typical JRPG could make everyone relevant to the end. Not equally, there will usually be central characters with more relevancy than the others, but everyone needs some well-executed extent of relevancy in an ideal world.

Despite having only seven characters, and Riki being intentionally (and thankfully?) irrelevant from practically the beginning, XC1 still had issues making everyone fully relevant. Sharla and Reyn needed a certain someone to show up to keep being relevant when they were fading out, and that somebody doubled as filler until Mechonis was finished. XC2's main non-gatcha-lite cast found itself able to support mostly everyone, but Dromarch is sorta just there by the end.

To me, this has to be done right. The Testament in Xenosaga 3, for example, their plotline was so confusing to me.

Once everything comes to light, goals of the big players is generally apparent. Since things get a little rushed at the end, it can be possible to not understand everything completely, but the gist of what each villain wants can be grasped.

You know, I personally thought Mythra got shafted storyline-wise in 2, which was a little sad. I can say I liked Lora a lot more as a character.

Lora is quite down to earth, and defiant of the images that tend to be cynically associated with the phrase "anime girl". Fully dressed, 30 instead of "18 or 1000000 but looks like 14", no sudden from the start infatuation with the main male, no amnesiac/mysterious damselism, no special powers she doesn't understand/can't control, whilst not being a cool and sexy femme fatale either (and "cool" is Elma's gig). Lora is very ordinary, but in a good way. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, i found out the final boss is Lv.100 the hard way. I'm uh, still in the 60s range, close to 70s. It's not like i'm avoiding battles, it's just that i'm not leveling up as fast as i feel like i should. When i beat the Wind Stone that was 15 levels higher than anyone in my party, nobody leveled up. Which is strange. By any chance, is there any equipment that increases EXP gain?

No, Fei is better. Shion gets close because there's a lot that goes on with her. What i like about Shion is that you see her mental state deteriorate over the course of the trilogy. She starts off as a level-headed woman with small traces of emotional damage in Episode I but by Episode III, she's lost and is essentially controlled by her emotions. She's the way she is in Episode III because she's no longer the emotionally stable person she was in Episode I. Though i will say, she did do something that pissed me off in Episode III, and it's why i don't put her on the same level as Fei.

Reveal hidden contents

In the finale of Episode III, when she meets Kevin underneath the Michtam Cathedral, she still believes Kevin is on her side and that he will help her........despite Kevin very clearly attacking her friends. Hell, Shion even sides with Kevin during that boss fight. I get that she's emotionally unstable but i think siding with the man who is clearly attacking her friends is out of character.

I'll be honest, I don't like Kevin. His character just annoys me, not sure why.

Reveal hidden contents

Given that's a late game spoiler in a plot-heavy game, you should probably spoiler that. He recovered it after he stole the data from Pyra's core crystal. Malos having a Monado in general makes sense when you consider the bigger implications. Hell, Pneuma's sword is a Monado, it's just never called one.

The Testaments in general were kinda eh. Blue Testament is cool, White Testament got shafted hard (more on him later), Red Testament sucked and Black Testament is honestly one of the worst villains in the series.

Yeah, Blue testament's comeback was pretty sad, in a good way.

On White Testament

Reveal hidden contents

Albedo in Episode I and II is honestly one of the series' best villains so him getting hard shafted in Episode III was a bummer.

Yeah, a great character ruined, sadly.

But yeah, while you won't really know the goals of the main villains in Xenogears until the end, it is done well imo. Some of the main villains, you start to get an idea of what their goals are at around the end of Disc 1.

This is exciting news, looking forward to trying it!

Gonna ask for clarification on this, since i'm a bit confused by your question.

I was joking about Xenoblade's battle system since it's pretty buggy, overall. Like having Reyn stand there and do nothing the entire battle, random stuff, really.

About Xenoblade 2:

Spoiler

Sorry, I fixed that! Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure if I should have tagged it or not. Anyways, I'm not saying it's out of place, it's just, I thought that Pyra/Mythra's core crystal was tied to Xenosaga's Zohar. Isn't it supposed to be? Their Core Crystal is the Zohar, correct? and if so, how does the Monado tie into it all? No, Malo's Monado arts are awesome to look at, and I love the way his voice actor announces them, it sounds so sinister!

Edited by lightcosmo

52 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

About Xenoblade 2:

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry, I fixed that! Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't sure if I should have tagged it or not. Anyways, I'm not saying it's out of place, it's just, I thought that Pyra/Mythra's core crystal was tied to Xenosaga's Zohar. Isn't it supposed to be? Their Core Crystal is the Zohar, correct? and if so, how does the Monado tie into it all? No, Malo's Monado arts are awesome to look at, and I love the way his voice actor announces them, it sounds so sinister!

I assume you've played Xenoblade 1 and 2 already, so here's a simplified infodump:

Spoiler

The Conduit is the Xenoblade equivalent of the Zohar. Pneuma (Mythra/Pyra) and Logos (Malos) are two cores of the Trinity Processor, a computer made up of three AI created to control the Conduit aboard the First Low Orbit Station (created to house the Conduit for study). After his experiment, the Architect modified Logos and Pneuma to process data collected by the Blades (their cores becoming Core Crystals in the process, allowing them to be resonated as Blades). They maintain their connection to the Conduit as Blades, and the Monados/Aegis Swords are the physical representation of their reality warping capabilities (though Mythra initially cannot do so; the "third sword" is the full expression of her power).

The Monados of Zanza, Meyneth, and Shulk are the expressions of Alvis's reality warping capabilities, the real creator of the XC1 universe who says he originated as the administrative computer of the First Low Orbit Station. Since the administrative computer is presumably the Trinity Processor, Alvis is usually assumed to be Ontos, the missing third core that disappeared into another dimension according to the Architect.

Basically Malos and Shulk both have Monados because they both draw power from the Conduit, Shulk by proxy through Alvis.

Edited by Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

I assume you've played Xenoblade 1 and 2 already, so here's a simplified infodump:

Hide contents

The Conduit is the Xenoblade equivalent of the Zohar. Pneuma (Mythra/Pyra) and Logos (Malos) are two cores of the Trinity Processor, a computer made up of three AI created to control the Conduit aboard the First Low Orbit Station (created to house the Conduit for study). After his experiment, the Architect modified Logos and Pneuma to process data collected by the Blades (their cores becoming Core Crystals in the process, allowing them to be resonated as Blades). They maintain their connection to the Conduit as Blades, and the Monados/Aegis Swords are the physical representation of their reality warping capabilities (though Mythra initially cannot do so; the "third sword" is the full expression of her power).

The Monados of Zanza, Meyneth, and Shulk are the expressions of Alvis's reality warping capabilities, the real creator of the XC1 universe who says he originated as the administrative computer of the First Low Orbit Station. Since the administrative computer is presumably the Trinity Processor, Alvis is usually assumed to be Ontos, the missing third core that disappeared into another dimension according to the Architect.

Basically Malos and Shulk both have Monados because they're both connected to the Conduit, Shulk by proxy through Alvis.

Spoiler

Yes, i have played every Xeno game but Xenogears. Oh, alrighty, So from what I'm gathering here, is they could all technically use "Monado" arts, pretty much. Does that mean that Malos created the Monado arts or is there a different explanation for that? I was just trying to figure out why Malos and Shulk share arts, for the most part. Striker Edge being "Back Slash", pretty much, the Monado Arts. So is the Monado a light weapon or a dark weapon? A lot of characters in Xenoblade refer to the Monado as "evil" which would make sense why Malos uses those arts. Maybe i'm just looking into it way too much.

27 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yes, i have played every Xeno game but Xenogears. Oh, alrighty, So from what I'm gathering here, is they could all technically use "Monado" arts, pretty much. Does that mean that Malos created the Monado arts or is there a different explanation for that? I was just trying to figure out why Malos and Shulk share arts, for the most part. Striker Edge being "Back Slash", pretty much, the Monado Arts. So is the Monado a light weapon or a dark weapon? A lot of characters in Xenoblade refer to the Monado as "evil" which would make sense why Malos uses those arts. Maybe i'm just looking into it way too much.

Spoiler

The Monado arts are the expression of the user manipulating ether to impose their will upon reality. The Monado users in XC1 have stronger reality warping because their universe is made of ether. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason for Malos using the same arts as Shulk outside of being a reference. Ascended Pyra/Mythra can manipulate reality too, but she needs to release ether into the air first and she and Rex never use any particular arts.

Shulk is a Light Blade in XC2, so Alvis would likely be a Light elemental by extension. The Monado being treated as "evil" is due to it being owned by Zanza and not any innate characteristics.

53 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The Monado arts are the expression of the user manipulating ether to impose their will upon reality. The Monado users in XC1 have stronger reality warping because their universe is made of ether. There doesn't seem to be any particular reason for Malos using the same arts as Shulk outside of being a reference. Ascended Pyra/Mythra can manipulate reality too, but she needs to release ether into the air first and she and Rex never use any particular arts.

Shulk is a Light Blade in XC2, so Alvis would likely be a Light elemental by extension. The Monado being treated as "evil" is due to it being owned by Zanza and not any innate characteristics.

Spoiler

Oh, if it's simply a reference, that's a tad disappointing, I will admit. Yeah, I remember Shulk is a light blade. I was just curious if there was some significance to Malos using Shulks arts, is all. Since it isn't really explained at all, I wasn't really sure. I'll be honest, I wanted DLC to play as Malos to use his Monado arts, haha. Still hoping, in the future... maybe...

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My small comment on the visuals also speaks for itself. If they had gone the pre-rendered backgrounds route Final Fantasy or Chrono Cross or Legend of Dragoon had taken, they would've withstood the test of time better, but pre-rendered has some minor issues of its own.

Regarding it's visuals, i do think Xenogears' animated cutscenes have aged pretty well when compared to PS1 Final Fantasy (VII at least). Whereas the latter's pre-rendered cutscenes used 3D and look kinda stiff by today's standards, Xenogears' animated cutscenes feel straight out of a 90s anime. 

Now the lip sync on the other hand is very off. Actually, Xenogears' English dub is.....pretty bad. But there isn't a whole lot of it so it's not as distracting. There is a patch which puts in the Japanese voice acting+makes some corrections to the translation (while i ain't a fan of these kinds of patches, since Xenogears is 21-year old game, it's more acceptable) but said patch is kinda hard to get. The original site that has it is from like 2008 and it assumes you're emulating off a disc. Other sites that had this patch don't have it anymore.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lora is quite down to earth, and defiant of the images that tend to be cynically associated with the phrase "anime girl". Fully dressed, 30 instead of "18 or 1000000 but looks like 14", no sudden from the start infatuation with the main male, no amnesiac/mysterious damselism, no special powers she doesn't understand/can't control, whilst not being a cool and sexy femme fatale either (and "cool" is Elma's gig). Lora is very ordinary, but in a good way. 

That's what i really like about Lora. Whereas other Xeno protagonists have one or many special things about them, Lora's simply just a woman. The closest thing she has towards being special is her Blade, Jin, is the "Paragon of Torna".....but even then, she just got him by complete accident.

Rex and Elma are the only two Xeno protagonists i'd say come close to being "normal". Rex is just a normal guy since he does also get his Blade by accident, except he gets the Aegis and it's implied he's Addam's descendant so he's still more special than Lora. Elma doesn't really have any special abilities but she is a high-ranking military official and

Spoiler

she's also an alien that brought advanced tech to Earth.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:
  Hide contents

The Monado users in XC1 have stronger reality warping because their universe is made of ether.

Spoiler

It's also worth noting that the Xenoblade 1 universe is likely a pocket dimension. A universe much smaller than ours. So the reality warping abilities there are much easier to use because not only is the universe made of ether but the universe is much smaller.

Hide contents

Ascended Pyra/Mythra can manipulate reality too, but she needs to release ether into the air first and she and Rex never use any particular arts.

Spoiler

I'd argue that Pneuma used Monado Buster and Monado Speed during the course of the story. Buster is her Lv.4 Special+the final attack on Aion. Speed was used to catch up to Jin in the Cliffs of Morytha and to knock out Indol's towers.

56 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:
  Hide contents

Oh, if it's simply a reference, that's a tad disappointing, I will admit. 

Spoiler

Here's the thing, it's a reference but one that makes a lot of sense in canon. Like, there isn't a reason why Malos can't use Monado Buster.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Here's the thing, it's a reference but one that makes a lot of sense in canon. Like, there isn't a reason why Malos can't use Monado Buster.

Spoiler

Yeah, you're right, but I still want to play as Malos and wreack some havoc. So, Malos power is supposed to compare to Pneuma, right? Do Pneuma and Malos need their drivers to be stronger is that just a normal Blade restriction? I'm not sure since Pyra was weaker without Rex in the cutscene in Uraya. But later on, that doesn't seem to be as relevant?

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, you're right, but I still want to play as Malos and wreack some havoc. So, Malos power is supposed to compare to Pneuma, right? Do Pneuma and Malos need their drivers to be stronger is that just a normal Blade restriction? I'm not sure since Pyra was weaker without Rex in the cutscene in Uraya. But later on, that doesn't seem to be as relevant?

Spoiler

There are two theories i've seen regarding Pneuma.

1. Pneuma is the original form but she was awakened as Mythra due to Addam's subconscious fear of her.
  2. There was no Pneuma. Mythra was the original and Pneuma is the result of there being a second personality, Pyra, and fusing into one as a result of their Driver, Rex, accepting their true power.

Either way, while the Aegieses don't follow normal Blade rules, they still need a Driver to unlock their "ascended" form. That's why Malos never does, because he rejects Amalthus.

44 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

1. Pneuma is the original form but she was awakened as Mythra due to Addam's subconscious fear of her.
  2. There was no Pneuma. Mythra was the original and Pneuma is the result of there being a second personality, Pyra, and fusing into one as a result of their Driver, Rex, accepting their true power.

Either way, while the Aegieses don't follow normal Blade rules, they still need a Driver to unlock their "ascended" form. That's why Malos never does, because he rejects Amalthus.

Spoiler

Sorry to ask so many should-be obvious questions, I guess I don't know the story as well as I thought. Is there any other relations to the Zohar, then? Regarding the Aegises, I mean.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Regarding it's visuals, i do think Xenogears' animated cutscenes have aged pretty well when compared to PS1 Final Fantasy (VII at least). Whereas the latter's pre-rendered cutscenes used 3D and look kinda stiff by today's standards, Xenogears' animated cutscenes feel straight out of a 90s anime.

I wasn't considering the cutscenes, but you're certainly right on that point. Although XG's opening is certainly something of a "huh?" given the random naked lady at the end, and none of what is shown there being explained until well into Disc 2. 

Going for plain-old 2D animation was a better choice than 3D stuff. From playing FFVIII, I think I can say XG aged better than that too in this specific aspect, even though graphically in both cutscenes and character models, VIII is a gigantic improvement over VII.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Rex is just a normal guy since he does also get his Blade by accident, except he gets the Aegis and it's implied he's Addam's descendant so he's still more special than Lora.

And I'm a little uncertain about whether he is the only descendant, that would further cut down on his specialness if he wasn't.

My impression is that everyone or at least a sizable number of individuals from the Leftherian Archipelago could have been Addam's direct descendants. M&J picked Rex for the tomb mission because he was an active Salvager about whom it could be easy knowledge to determine his place of origin, but I don't know whether they could have known his exact lineage. Though I think M&J could have bribed/coerced/kidnapped a bunch of Leftherians and had each try to break the seal until one of them finally worked.

One might make the case that Torna makes him more special, because Mythra's vision of him. But that'd depend on how one defines "destined hero".:

• Does simply foreseeing him, when she can foresee a whole lot of other things, make Rex destined?
  • Or does being being destined in this case require being prophesied, which Rex is not?
    • But if prophecy is required to be destined, Fei isn't prophesied either. In the sense that any prophecy about him is not divinely sent from above, but simply a prediction that he could be highly important at the given moment. Must prophecy be divinely sent?
      • Although Fei is still more special than Rex even if you don't consider him "destined", or you label both him and Rex as "destined".
        • Since it's impossible for anyone but Fei to have his special powers. You have to be Fei to do what Fei specifically can do in full. Others have very Fei-like powers, but nothing exactly like him in form or measure.
        • While Addam provides at least one case of somebody not Rex who could use Mythra. Addam never mastered her, but there is nothing that technically could have kept him from using her full power, provided both overcame any psychological baggage.

The only thing that might at all suggest that Rex to be the only Addam descendant could be his dead parents. If that was somehow relevant.

But I think that was just more a typical anime trope without any regard for the Addam lineage. It's easier to let a kid run around the entire world with a nearly naked girl swinging a giant sword, risking life and limb for breakfast, lunch, and teatime, if you've no family alive, or only a laissez-faire secondary relative like an "aunt".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Armagon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don't think Malos has an ascended form. The fact that he can match Mythra with the third sword at the end of Torna suggests that he could always use his full power, he just didn't until Mythra awakened because it would be boring to just instantly kill everyone. It suggests that the Aegises are exceptions to the "Blades are weaker without their Driver" rule, and Mythra and Pyra needing Rex to unlock their ascended form are more due to their personal issues rather than an innate restriction.

Speaking of which, Mythra using the third sword without transforming makes me think "Pneuma" is a side effect of Pyra's existence and not a transformation Mythra can do on her own (because you can't have Coffee with Milk without milk). It doesn't seem that Mythra would have an "original form" unless Klaus designed one for her, since Mythra's physical body was created when Addam resonated with her.

As for Chapter 7, Malos was probably weaker because he had just repaired his core and hadn't regained his full power yet. He apparently didn't have his full power when Amalthus first awakened him either, so it wouldn't be too unusual.

Edited by Lightchao42

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:
  Hide contents

Sorry to ask so many should-be obvious questions, I guess I don't know the story as well as I thought. Is there any other relations to the Zohar, then? Regarding the Aegises, I mean.

Spoiler

Well let's see. The Artifices are powered by the Conduit through a slave generator. This is exactly the same way the Gears function in Xenogears.

The Xenogears Zohar, the Xenosaga Zohar and the Conduit all share the same backstory: they were discovered in Africa (Xenosaga further specifies the location as Lake Turkana in Kenya. and they all caused the destruction of Earth, whether it be literally or dimensionally.

I can't go into the rest without spoiling Xenogears though. The stuff i described about the Xenogears Zohar here came from Perfect Works, which is a book detailing nearly all the plans for Xenogears' six-part story (though there's like no info on what Episode 6 was supposed to be).

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Does simply foreseeing him, when she can foresee a whole lot of other things, make Rex destined?

For this one, i'm going to argue no. The thing is, Mythra wasn't even aware of this vision. 

But if we're talking visions, i'd argue Shulk is more "destined".

Spoiler

All of his visions pre-Mechonis Core were given to him by Zanza for the sole reason of getting Zanza to the Mechonis Core so he could awaken. Zanza does say he could've inhabited anybody but he later contradicts this in his domain by saying that he waited "until a new vessel, revealed to me in a vision, was born".

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although Fei is still more special than Rex even if you don't consider him "destined", or you label both him and Rex as "destined".

The thing with Fei is

Spoiler

He and Elly continuously reincarnated over a period of 10,000 years until the Wave Existence was freed from the Zohar. And with the exceptions of the current Fei and Elly, all the previous incarnations of them met tragic ends. So you could argue that Fei and Elly were destined to die tragically until they freed the Wave Existence from the Zohar.

Hide contents

Speaking of which, Mythra using the third sword without transforming makes me think "Pneuma" is a side effect of Pyra's existence and not a transformation Mythra can do on her own (because you can't have Coffee with Milk without milk). It doesn't seem that Mythra would have an "original form" unless Klaus designed one for her, since Mythra's physical body was created when Addam resonated with her.

Spoiler

That is true and it does go in-line with theory 2 regarding Pneuma.

Thing is, Pneuma is her original name and her ascended form has the name "Pneuma" on her chest. In addition, it is only as Pneuma that she can access the World Tree's functions (Klaus did give her full access but even before that, Pyra/Mythra had to become Pneuma in order to activate the controls. The fact that Malos doesn't implies that his form is his "ascended" form or he was just able to with the stolen data.

It's also worth noting that Pneuma's sword does not match Mythra's and i think that's important. 

latest?cb=20190203040053latest?cb=20190203040042

Notice how Pyra and Mythra's swords match their appearance.

Now let's look at Pneuma (we still don't have official art of her so we'll have to use what we have)

latest?cb=20190119233150

latest?cb=20180519165053

These are the things that make me thing Pneuma was the original form and it was simply locked away as a result of Addam's fear. By the time Addam awakens Mythra, Malos had already been destroying things left and right, which is why Addam was afraid that Mythra could go down the same route. Pneuma's sword also resembles a Monado, right down to the circle on the hilt (specifically, it resembles the True Monado, including in how the ether coats the whole sword when active as opposed to just being a beam that comes out of it).

There's things that both support theories 1 and 2 regarding Pneuma so it's kinda hard to say which one's right.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Playing Fairy Fencer F when suddenly

Reveal hidden contents

20190713015359_1.jpg

We Neptunia now.

Dafuq?

Continuing on in MegaNep VII, I realize I have been a bit too negative towards the game in my last few posts (I still stand by some of that criticism, though). So how about something positive?

The CPUs' Next Forms look awesome. The scene where they were introduced was epic as hell. This game's story is hype incarnate, I swear...

The fight against Affimojas was pretty cool, too. I think I cheesed it and did it wrong at the same time. Apparently, only elemental damage does anything to the guy, so Noire and Neptune were essentially useless the way I had their combos set up. But Ram absolutely murdered him with her magic. I think what you're supposed to do is attack him until his cape that makes him immune to physical damage breaks, but by the time I finally managed to break his invincibility-but-not-really cape, he was already almost dead due to Ram absolutely destroying his ass. Delicious Ram cheese. That sounds so freaking wrong, holy hell. In the second battle, where you have to have all four CPUs, I abus--- er, I mean, made use of their combo EXE skills to kill him. Great boss fight(s), even with the weird "I only take damage from elemental attacks" gimmick.

And one other thing I find funny:

Uni is like a reverse Nepgear at this point. Nepgear has a robot/tech fetish, robots seem to have a thing for Uni. First CFW Brave (albeit in a dream), now Steamax. Lastation's girls are the only ones who have anyone canonically in love with them, now that I think about it. K-Sha with Noire, and Steamax with Uni. I wonder how fans of those two characters reacted to that, particularly "those" fans.

Also, Nepgeardam is the best attack. I dare you try to convince me otherwise.
Spoiler: You can't.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Dafuq?

Robots can cross dimensions, or something xD

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, Nepgeardam is the best attack. I dare you try to convince me otherwise.
 Spoiler: You can't.

It's an awesome attack for sure, but can i introduce you to the Savior of the game

NEPTUNE BREAK

?

Played some more MGR today, when suddenly

20190713164745_1.jpg

20190713170448_1.jpg

Just now, Shrimperor said:

It's an awesome attack for sure, but can i introduce you to the Savior of the game

NEPTUNE BREAK

Okay, yeah. You're right. Neptune Break is of course still on top. Though Infinite Slash comes close, animation-wise.
Nepgeardam is the best attack that needs you to use SP, then.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Played some more MGR today, when suddenly

Reveal hidden contents

20190713164745_1.jpg

20190713170448_1.jpg

There's no escaping the memes!

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

The CPUs' Next Forms look awesome.

The NEXT Forms are some of my favorite video game designs in general. I was kinda hoping the CPU candidates would get them as well, to represent the 3DS and the Vita but oh well. Can't have them all.

NEXT White's EXE Drive is my favorite because they represent the Wii U gamepad with a giagantic gun cannon.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, Armagon said:

For this one, i'm going to argue no. The thing is, Mythra wasn't even aware of this vision. 

Well she did see it I think, though you're right she didn't comprehend it. Since it was all in one big rush as her psyche reached the breaking point. And if she did comprehend it, why didn't she mention it in the maingame? It was just added to Torna to make a reference to the future, not really develop anything in either era.

It was known back in May that Monolith was hiring more employees, for what we now know is Breath of the Wild 2 at least.

But now, I can't read the Japanese myself, Monolith is clarifying its hiring needs: it wants workers for BotW2, separate workers for their new purer fantasy IP we've known the existence of, ...and workers for the next Xeno title!

XC3 or XCX2? I can't wait to find out!

I'll take the former no probs, but I really want the latter. Iron out the chinks and expand the good, give me my sequel Monolith! I bill myself as the XCX Devotee here on SF, and I'll keep actin' the part.😛

I'm a little concerned if they're still hiring for the new IP though, unless they're only looking for lesser positions. It has been on paper for a while now, how much of it has been under actual construction?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It was known back in May that Monolith was hiring more employees, for what we now know is Breath of the Wild 2 at least.

But now, I can't read the Japanese myself, Monolith is clarifying its hiring needs: it wants workers for BotW2, separate workers for their new purer fantasy IP we've known the existence of, ...and workers for the next Xeno title!

XC3 or XCX2? I can't wait to find out!

I'll take the former no probs, but I really want the latter. Iron out the chinks and expand the good, give me my sequel Monolith! I bill myself as the XCX Devotee here on SF, and I'll keep actin' the part.😛

I'm a little concerned if they're still hiring for the new IP though, unless they're only looking for lesser positions. It has been on paper for a while now, how much of it has been under actual construction?

Yeah, i definitely do want the next Xeno game to be Xenoblade X2. When the Xenoblade 2 OST released, Monolith Soft did say that they wanted to continue both the numbered series and the X series. This was an obvious thing though since Xenoblade is the face of Monolith Soft right now so there's no logical reason they would stop unless history repeats itself and Nintendo fucks them over, which i don't think will happen. Unlike Square Enix and Namco, Nintendo hasn't really interfered with development of any Xeno game. The closest thing that we got to that was that the Xenoblade 2 dev team was understaffed because a majority of the people were working with Breath of the Wild but even then, it's still impressive what they managed to accomplish in Xenoblade 2 with only 40 people+some outsourcing. And that was before Monolith Soft had this big expansion. They only had two studios back then. Now they have five.

But back to the future of the series, i do want the next one to be X2 not only because Xenoblade X has questions that need answering but because it'd be nice if the future of the series was basically back and forth between the numbered series and the X series. We had Xenoblade 2 and now we get Xenoblade X2. Then we get Xenoblade 3 and then Xenoblade X3 and it just keeps going like that. Expansion titles like Torna ~ The Golden Country don't really fit into that but it's debatable on whether or not they should be counted as full titles (i personally think they should because even though it's short and is also part of DLC, it's pretty much a new game).

I do think that new IP is still coming along. Hopefully it doesn't get canceled like that one 3DS IP they were working on, unless that 3DS IP became this fantasy one. Both were fantasy themed so it's not unlikely but who knows.

Takahashi did say he wanted to make a rated M game but i don't think it's any of their new IPs.

And on the subject of Breath of the Wild 2, i do hope Monolith Soft puts more into it. Breath of the Wild's world wasn't bad by any means and exploring it was one of my favorite parts but it did feel a bit empty for Monolith Soft standards. BotW Hyrule didn't really feel as alive as any Xenoblade world. Though of course, it's not exactly fair given that it isn't just Monolith Soft working on Breath of the Wild.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

The NEXT Forms are some of my favorite video game designs in general. I was kinda hoping the CPU candidates would get them as well, to represent the 3DS and the Vita but oh well. Can't have them all.

NEXT White's EXE Drive is my favorite because they represent the Wii U gamepad with a giagantic gun cannon.

I thought Uni already represented the Vita, didn't she?
I like the Candidates just fine, even without new forms. Rom and Ram in particular, as far as gameplay goes, because these two deal massive amounts of damage even with normal combo attacks, and Nepgear is one of my favorite characters since she was introduced in Re;Birth 2.

I'll admit I haven't used the NEXT EXE Drives yet, because they end the transformation when using them. And I'm not sure, but it feels like the boost the CPUs get to their stats in their NEXT Forms are pretty significant. 

So significant that the four of them made quick work of Dark Green.

Speaking of, I reached the route split in the third arc. I picked the Hyper Dimension route first, so now I have my Re;Birth 2 squad (the four Candidates) and Gold Third. Next playthrough is the Heart Dimension route.

I watched the four dream events of the CPUs. Neptune's was heartwarming (and cemented IF as an asshole), Vert's was... creepy, Noire's was funny as hell, and Blanc's was weird. Though it did create the funny image of Rom and Ram running after her with needles...

Neptune is calling and is saying she wants her Status as Protag and her Meta humor back xD

20190714023237_1.jpg

20190714031144_1.jpg

20190714031153_1.jpg

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I thought Uni already represented the Vita, didn't she?

Yup. The Candidates represent the Handhelds. If you unlock Uni in Re;Birth 1 you even get this in the ''Thank you'' event:

20190210211656_1.jpg

Rom and Ram in particular, as far as gameplay goes, because these two deal massive amounts of damage even with normal combo attacks

Characters with normal attacks being Magic attack always deal a massive amount of damage in RPGs haha. With Nintenlolis you get that in a double pack.

Speaking of, I reached the route split in the third arc. I picked the Hyper Dimension route first, so now I have my Re;Birth 2 squad (the four Candidates) and Gold Third. Next playthrough is the Heart Dimension route.

i played them both and liked the Heart Dimension route iic. It's just small ~1 hour event, so you can just reload your save and view it. Doesn't change the outcome anyway, you just view the events from a different pov.

Neptune's Dream cements again the fact that, at her core, what she loves more then anything is helping others and them being happy. Like we know from the pudding Scene in R;B1. Sure, others also like to help and make people happy, but it isn't ingrained in their Character like it's in Neptune's.

Edited by Shrimperor

Almost to the end of Sky 3rd, at least at the point I have to do all the doors now.

I have an exact impression what is going on in the upcoming chapter(s)...... and I am already prepared for the worst.   

The game has been really dark already, but it has not reached its I must 😥 point. 

Tbf Kevin already revealed that the truth for Ries will not be nice. 

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Neptune is calling and is saying she wants her Status as Protag and her Meta humor back xD

Hide contents

20190714023237_1.jpg

20190714031144_1.jpg

20190714031153_1.jpg

Yup. The Candidates represent the Handhelds. If you unlock Uni in Re;Birth 1 you even get this in the ''Thank you'' event:

Reveal hidden contents
20190210211656_1.jpg

Characters with normal attacks being Magic attack always deal a massive amount of damage in RPGs haha. With Nintenlolis you get that in a double pack.

i played them both and liked the Heart Dimension route iic. It's just small ~1 hour event, so you can just reload your save and view it. Doesn't change the outcome anyway, you just view the events from a different pov.

Reveal hidden contents

Neptune's Dream cements again the fact that, at her core, what she loves more then anything is helping others and them being happy. Like we know from the pudding Scene in R;B1. Sure, others also like to help and make people happy, but it isn't ingrained in their Character like it's in Neptune's.

Ayy XD

Now I see my Vita in a different light. That's almost too meta.

Yeah, Ram and Rom are pretty great. I just wish they were less squishy. But that's the Squishy Wizard archetype for you, I guess.
Luckily, they do get useful buffs that remedy their squishiness somewhat.

And none of the two died against Dark Black and were in fact the ones that did the most damage to it.

On Neptune's dream event:

If anything, it proves that the writers of Neptunia know how to create great characters with actual depth, particularly when it comes to the CPUs. I've come to realize and enjoy that during my time with the games.