Soooooo what'cha playing?

4 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong and how I can fix it? I only got the Switch back in October; I don't want it to break this soon; all my previous Nintendo consoles have lasted far longer without any issues. 

Sounds like standard joy con drift to me. I was about to recommend using the D-Pad to play while trying hard not to tap the control stick. But then I googled it and apparently the remaster doesn't support the D-Pad? What the hell, Nintendo? It's also annoying that the recent Switch update that allows you to remap buttons won't let you turn off the control stick's input, which would really help players experiencing joy con drift continue playing games that support the D-Pad without interference. When I was dealing with drift, I would repeatedly tap in the affected direction (in your case, right), whenever it was acting up.

Besides physical cleaning, one other fix I've seen online is people going into their Switch's Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Calibrate Control Sticks and see if recalibrating helps you get back your full range of motion. If it doesn't, then it's time to start shopping for new controllers, which is never fun. I picked up third party joy cons for handheld play, and a third party USB controller for docked play whenever gamecube controllers won't cut it. Much cheaper, and you only need official joy cons for motion control or HD rumble games like Super Mario Party or 1, 2, Switch. Once you're controller situation is sorted, you'll want to send in any drifting joy cons to Nintendo to have as backups. But here in the US, repair services have been suspended for the last two months due to the pandemic.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Sounds like standard joy con drift to me. I was about to recommend using the D-Pad to play while trying hard not to tap the control stick. But then I googled it and apparently the remaster doesn't support the D-Pad? What the hell, Nintendo? It's also annoying that the recent Switch update that allows you to remap buttons won't let you turn off the control stick's input, which would really help players experiencing joy con drift continue playing games that support the D-Pad without interference. When I was dealing with drift, I would repeatedly tap in the affected direction (in your case, right), whenever it was acting up.

Besides physical cleaning, one other fix I've seen online is people going into their Switch's Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Calibrate Control Sticks and see if recalibrating helps you get back your full range of motion. If it doesn't, then it's time to start shopping for new controllers, which is never fun. I picked up third party joy cons for handheld play, and a third party USB controller for docked play whenever gamecube controllers won't cut it. Much cheaper, and you only need official joy cons for motion control or HD rumble games like Super Mario Party or 1, 2, Switch. Once you're controller situation is sorted, you'll want to send in any drifting joy cons to Nintendo to have as backups. But here in the US, repair services have been suspended for the last two months due to the pandemic.

Thank you. I'll try cleaning it again, and if that doesn't work, I'll try recalibrating it.

I think the reason the Switch remake doesn't support the D-Pad is because the game now allows Link to move in 8 directions instead of 4. 

Playing Custom Battle (Gamecube) because I discovered a community that plays it online. I'm kind of waiting 2 weeks for Synaptic Drive (despite the disappointing artstyle) to come out so I can do the same thing with the same people.

16 hours ago, Reality said:

Playing Custom Battle (Gamecube) because I discovered a community that plays it online. I'm kind of waiting 2 weeks for Synaptic Drive (despite the disappointing artstyle) to come out so I can do the same thing with the same people.

Custom battle? Do you mean Custom Robo?

Well, I’m memeing it up by playing Mario Kart double dash super lite waifu edition aka Gensou sky drift. It was pretty fun but I’ve returned to playing Fatal Bullet and Trails of Cold Steel 2.

19 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I think the reason the Switch remake doesn't support the D-Pad is because the game now allows Link to move in 8 directions instead of 4. 

Link's Awakening always allowed diagonal movement.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

I misremembered the article I read. It actually said, "Link can slash his sword in eight directions instead of the four directions of the Game Boy's D-Pad." My mistake. 

Thank you for pointing that out. 

Edited by vanguard333

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Seeing this makes me sad that they removed so many abusable things in game, like the jumping and such! Oh well.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Seeing this makes me sad that they removed so many abusable things in game, like the jumping and such! Oh well.

Huh, how do you remove jumping from Link's Awakening?

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Jumping is still in the Link's Awakening remake. In fact, the Roc's Feather is one of the earliest items Link gets; being the dungeon item of the first dungeon. 

I'm guessing that lightcosmo is referring to some way in which the jumping mechanic could be used to trivialize aspects of the original? @lightcosmo What did you mean?

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Have you never seen the original angled jumping? There are alot of skips you can perform that got removed when they gutted its distance in the remake.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Jumping is still in the Link's Awakening remake. In fact, the Roc's Feather is one of the earliest items Link gets; being the dungeon item of the first dungeon. 

I'm guessing that lightcosmo is referring to some way in which the jumping mechanic could be used to trivialize aspects of the original? @lightcosmo What did you mean?

Exactly this. There alot of gaps Link can jump when you jump and move on certain angles his distance is much higher than a straight jump, allowing certain dungeon skips and such.

23 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Exactly this. There a lot of gaps Link can jump when you jump and move on certain angles his distance is much higher than a straight jump, allowing certain dungeon skips and such.

I honestly don't mind when stuff like that gets removed; I don't really care for dungeon skips. I mainly care if the removal of something like that increases the tedium in an area. So far, it doesn't seem like it has, as I haven't really encountered anything tedious. But I haven't played the original, so I can't compare. 

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

I honestly don't mind when stuff like that gets removed; I don't really care for dungeon skips. I mainly care if the removal of something like that increases the tedium in an area. So far, it doesn't seem like it has, as I haven't really encountered anything tedious. But I haven't played the original, so I can't compare. 

Its, in my opinion, pretty neat to watch the creative things people can do with it.

FE: Three Houses is sitting in the hard drive of my Switch which in turn is gathering dust. I’ve been feeling strangely nostalgic for the FE series recently and I’m toying with the idea of playing it. I’ve only spent about an hour and a half playing Three Houses so I think it maybe time to beat a route or two.

Edited by Wraith

I'd like to recommend a little gem I'm currently playing called Bot Vice. 

It's a gallery shooter, an underrepresented flavor of the shooting games genre, featuring cool lock-on mechanics and a time limit as it's main gimmicks. Each level can be completed in about a minute. Frantically dodging left and right, while locking onto bosses or more annoying enemies at the right moment is what Bot Vice is all about. Weapons such as spread guns, rocket launchers or grenades drop frequently and are a key element to beating the levels fast, since they provide a significant boost in firepower. 

The before mentioned time limit clocks at ca. 27 minutes. This is all you have to complete the basic 24 stages, making every second count. Those grenades, which smash everything? Well, later on it's good to save them for shielding enemies or annoying turtles. The environment that can serve as a cover? Crush it to dust ASAP, so that you have free aim on the enemies. 

The difficulty spikes can be brutal at times, but since the stages are so short, replaying and memorizing them isn't very frustrating imo, but be aware that even on easy (removes time limit, has HP drops) things can get iffy. 

There are 50 levels available in total. You can attempt beating them without HP-loss, so replay value is definitely there. It's on Switch, it's on Steam and it's a lot of fun for a few hours.  

Kenshi. It's a game I love and I have no fucking idea how to describe it.

I guess I could say it's a real-time (but pausable) RPG in a post-apocalyptic world, iirc not that different from the 2D Fallouts or old C-RPGs in feel and navigation. Your stats develop as you do stuff, but even then you'll play as a tiny character in a huge dystopian world where anything can kill you and they do constantly pursue that goal - be they the nation of religious fundamentalists eager to thump a Bible on your thick skull, the corrupt slaver nation whose nobles would hunt you down for sport, the angry warrior race if you dare insult anyone's horns in public, or the local starving bandits who knocked you out for your last 2 bucks. Or the giant dinosaur giraffe thing that runs faster than a F1 car and that has sharp teeth.

It's amazing in producing stories during the gameplay, getting you attached to the recruits you just picked/saved from bandits and see them grow. There's also nothing more satisfying than seeing your scrubby chars becoming badasses who kick bandits, slavers and zealot asses.

It's awesome, but grindy and its engine makes the game melt in real time since it's constantly loading a lot of stuff (thank modders for helping me run it at more than 4 FPS sometimes).

Putting Silver Snow playthrough on hold after timeskip. Currently playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. Gotta say, it was a lot more fun than I remember. Just finished Superior difficulty which surprised me with another Ultimate difficulty and another rift unlocked. But some of the alternate costumes are really bad and not worth to play through the infinity rift. 

Moving on to Danganronpa v3, and for the most part I'm loving it, with a few exceptions, and one of them is this perjury mechanic that needs to die in a fire.

Can someone who's played the game please tell me, with a simple yes or no, with no further spoilers...

Spoiler

...if Shuichi ever suffers any serious consequences and character development for his increasingly irresponsible use of perjury to back up his hunches and "steer the conversation back in the right direction" (dear god that phrasing makes me want to puke)? Because I fucking hate this mechanic and I want Shuichi to be punched repeatedly in the face for how increasingly willing to do it he is, barely thinking there's anything wrong with it, like it's his responsibility to lie to the unwashed masses to make sure they go along with his unproven hunches. It was a cool mechanic in the first case, especially once we learned that Kaede was the real culprit and thus knew for a fact that Shuichi was innocent, but the way Shuichi does it is douchey as fuck, it's almost never really necessary to solve the case logically speaking, and if anyone but the main character did it they'd rightly be seen as a self-destructive idiot.

Edited by Alastor15243

SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays (why the fucking long names, dudes?), which is a cool turn-based strategy game not that far [mechanically] from Fire Emblem, and it helped me get into Gundam after ~5 years of being confused by timelines and not being sure which was the best way to get into the series. Now I'm alternating between watching Gundam Wing until I'm far enough to not be spoiled by the game and playing.

I remember playing the original Pokemon Mystery Dungeon as a kid, and somebody online mentioning that the gameplay style is actually quite old and quite common. But besides the Chocobo's dungeon games I had never encountered any of these "mystery dungeon clones" in the wild. That is until I was digging through some Genesis games and played Fatal Labyrinth, where you play as a brave hero hoping to save his village from a 30 floor labyrinth that's spewing monsters into the world. I wish I could find info on the game's development, as the game predates all "mystery dungeon" games and has no relation with Enix or Chunsoft. Perhaps there was a bit of plagiarism there, but then again, if we want to talk inspirations, the correct answer for both is probably Rogue.

There are dozens of magical items in the game, but your character must use them up to record their effects, leading to silly moments where you drink a potion that poisons you or makes you hungry. You also need to find hidden doors in the wall, which can get tedious if the level design is asking you to walk to every individual wall tile in search of that secret door. Sometimes you're also tasked with finding a secret floor tile that opens the stairs to the next floor. There's no way to find it other than to physically step on every tile of every room. Suffice to say most people playing the game got very stuck with no theoretical path forward.

While I was researching how to get unstuck I learned a fun glitch. In this game, when you equip a bow, and equip another bow, your armor rating permanently decreases by one. Do this with no armor equipped, and you will underflow your armor stat from 0 to 99. Even with such a powerful exploit I found myself still dying in the final floors. Your search for a decent weapon to use also tends to feel fruitless when even the most accurate class of weapon hits only 50% of the time. This game shipped with no save battery, and only creates a checkpoint every five floors. Must have been brutal back in 1991, but I felt no guilt when dropping a save state at the start of each floor since the game is so heavily rng based. The length of a full run is 4-5 hours, and I think that brevity is what kept the game from truly frustrating. There may be better mystery dungeon games out there, but are they good enough to warrant 20+ hour campaigns? I don't think so.

Played through Hey!Pikmin. I wonder if it's called Oy!Pikmin overseas. It is a game almost totally removed from the gameplay conventions of the main series, and instead I can only offer Kirby Mass Attack as a worthy comparison. It's a linear sidescroller with very minor platforming and puzzle solving. Even in bonus levels dedicated to solving a puzzle, the puzzles are only ever as complicated as notice thing > interact with thing. All 5 pikmin types from Pikmin 3 make a return, but Pikmin gathered in one level don't accompany you to the next. There is also no system of carrying back enemy corpses to the onion, as all pikmin are provided within the levels themselves. As for the treasures, Pikmin technically could carry them to Olimar, but it is rarely necessary, as Olimar can just walk into it to pick it up. The cap on pikmin you can have is just 20, and the game never allows you to have all five pikmin types at once. At most, there were two levels that I ended up with three varieties of pikmin by the end. I suppose it is remarkable just how little gameplay depth the game is willing to have.

This may be a low blow for a handheld game, but the graphical presentation is really bad. I haven't played a game this choppy since 007 Goldeneye, and I know its a frame rate issue when you compare animations in levels with the same animations in other parts of the game. The game looks ugly and cheap, and the camera is far too zoomed in for you not to notice. If anything I wish the game zoomed out a bit just so I can see obstacles earlier. Pikmin games have always been remarkable for their graphic design, so it's a shame to see a game in the same series look so low resolution. Even the real life objects in the game look cheap when examined in the log.

There are two bright ideas that this game has to offer, the first is a new ability for flying pikmin - they will carry Olimar if you walk off a ledge, allowing you to float across obstacles and be lifted by updrafts. The second bright idea is Pikmin Park, which is where your excess pikmin go to do menial tasks in real time while you progress in the game. Sort of like Pokemon Sun and Moon's poke pelago, it's a neat place for you to get some use out of the pikmin you've recruited from previous missions instead of just having them inexplicably vanish. The objective of the game is to collect treasures to repair your ship, similar to Pikmin 2. The game leads you to believe that collecting the right amount of treasure leads to the end of the game, but if you reach that benchmark before the final level, the game informs you a vital ship part is hiding in the final level anyway. So, unlike Pikmin 2, you are forced to play every level in the end, as far as I could tell.