Soooooo what'cha playing?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Animal Kombat. Uh, Mortal Crossing. Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Mortal Kombat 11. Kind of surprised I caught a coelacanth and an  oarfish back-to-back, but hey. The latter I'm preparing for Aftermath. Kind of don't like the tutorial, tho. A lot of those inputs are kind of ass for me to input. I'm at the advanced stage, but, srsly.

Just started FE7 for the first time! It's my first GBA Fire Emblem game, and so far I'm blown away. I love the atmosphere, and the characters are extremely endearing.

(and whenever Lyn turns and looks directly at me I am WEAK)

I've been playing FE6 (on Ch. 12 now). The hit rates are funky (got hit with a hand axe at 18% hit rate, wth?) and the units are on the weaker side, but it's still a pretty solid game. I haven't run into anything cheap, just challenging given my units and resources.

I gotten back into Planetside 2 which is an MMO FPS which focuses a lot more on tactics and combined arms combat (Infantry, Vehicles, and Aircraft). I still tend to do poorly in Infantry engagements due to poor aim, but I do well in supporting the other players who can actually shoot and progress forward.

I also started messing around the ANT a lot more which is essentially a construction vehicle, so players can make their own mini-bases in Planetside 2 if they can get the resources. Sadly, most of the good stuff is locked behind a massive progression grind (or one can just purchase the stuff), so I doubt my bases will be useful anytime soon. However, harvesting and depositing the resource is one way to get Certs (the currency used to unlock stuff), so that's one way to farm I suppose.
Otherwise, still messing around with Shadowverse's story mode. The story has definitely improved since the first 8 chapters of the Morning Star, with the Guild War and Gears of Rebellion being rather interesting. The "Player Characters" get some character development, the overall storylines are a bit better, and the NPCs are great.

I also picked up XCOM: Enemy Within again and don't remember it being as difficult on Classic, but that may be because I decided to leave all the tutorials on which may lead to subpar builds. It doesn't help all my guys want to be Snipers and Heavies when I have Laser Rifles instead...

22 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I've been playing FE6 (on Ch. 12 now). The hit rates are funky (got hit with a hand axe at 18% hit rate, wth?) and the units are on the weaker side, but it's still a pretty solid game. I haven't run into anything cheap, just challenging given my units and resources.

I think that's next on my list! Glad to hear it's good.

I got Child of Light a time ago, during a sale... but I didn't play that much since I got stuck in Animal Crossing. Now I am back to Child of Light, and I believe I am near the end. It's a cute game.

After this, I will start Ori and the Blind Forest. I played the demo, and it was pretty good!

I thought about getting Trials of Mana, but I feel since it's a Square Enix game, it may get sale in the future.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

I'm playing the story of mode of Smash Bros Ultimate World of Light, and I have to say I dislike it a lot. Most of these fights aside of the ones against the captured characters are handicup fights, and they are obnoxious in the majority. Fighting with reverved controls, mirrored screen and challenging a debuffed character against a buffed opponent who might even start with an item is a challenge I don't want and need. I don't mind playing with items, but this goes too far. These battles just have artificial difficulty, so unfair - depending on the conditions - that I can beat them at lowest difficulty. It's really REALLY not fun.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition. What can I really say except that it is just as fun as it was on the Wii, except it is better as a whole thanks to the QoL changes. Expert Mode is great to use, as it allows the player to complete the game's many sidequests without becoming overleveled. Better yet is that you can de-level and level up again whenever you want. Even though this is my ~3rd time playing the game, I still have a lot of fun with it, especially when it comes to just running around its large, open world.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:19 PM, Falcom Knight said:

I'm playing the story of mode of Smash Bros Ultimate World of Light, and I have to say I dislike it a lot. Most of these fights aside of the ones against the captured characters are handicup fights, and they are obnoxious in the majority. Fighting with reverved controls, mirrored screen and challenging a debuffed character against a buffed opponent who might even start with an item is a challenge I don't want and need. I don't mind playing with items, but this goes too far. These battles just have artificial difficulty, so unfair - depending on the conditions - that I can beat them at lowest difficulty. It's really REALLY not fun.

It's most certainly a case of quantity over quality, that's for sure.

The worst thing about this stuff like Reversed Controls and Fire Floors or whatever, is that they blatantly exist for the sole purpose of equipping a spirit that completely negates it. It's nothing but an inconvenience, which becomes more and more obnoxious as the spirit list grows larger.

I'm sure there are plenty of fights that have in theory an interesting setup, but the outcome is more dependent on the strengths of the player's spirits, not skill. They give MUCH larger boosts then the Equipment in Smash 4. You try to fight without a spirit against a player with a lv99 Legendary Spirit, and you take like 70+ damage from a regular strong attack.

And it's not like you can play around with one specific fight and try out different things, because they are gone the moment you beat them. Same on the Spirit Board.

It's such a shame that this mode seems to be designed for flashing lights and watching numbers go up, rather then actual gameplay.

...anyway, currently playing

Berwick Saga: Lazberia Chronicle Chapter 174 - Most certainly plays in a whole different league then Fire Emblem ever did. It's so good.

Streets of Rage 4 - Feels great, looks great, sounds great, is great.
...although I would really like to know how much laughter there was in the dev's office when they came up with giving Galsias the ability to use Naginata

Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection - Obviously a collection with games of widely different quality. There are fantastic sidescrollers ...and there are ZX 1 and the first Zero game.
Fortunately Save-Assist makes Zero 1 a lot less shitty. Too bad there is no easy fix for ZX's garbage mission system and useless map.
Still, I do love the option of getting to hear the uncompressed voice acting. And of course this is the first time you get to hear ZX's dialog voiced... if you are willing to play the whole game in Japanese. That's... not ideal, for sure. But at least everything is here now. And if you play the PC version, you could just install mods for that.

Edited by BrightBow

On 6/5/2020 at 2:29 AM, BrightBow said:

It's most certainly a case of quantity over quality, that's for sure.

The worst thing about this stuff like Reversed Controls and Fire Floors or whatever, is that they blatantly exist for the sole purpose of equipping a spirit that completely negates it. It's nothing but an inconvenience, which becomes more and more obnoxious as the spirit list grows larger.

I'm sure there are plenty of fights that have in theory an interesting setup, but the outcome is more dependent on the strengths of the player's spirits, not skill. They give MUCH larger boosts then the Equipment in Smash 4. You try to fight without a spirit against a player with a lv99 Legendary Spirit, and you take like 70+ damage from a regular strong attack.

And it's not like you can play around with one specific fight and try out different things, because they are gone the moment you beat them. Same on the Spirit Board.

It's such a shame that this mode seems to be designed for flashing lights and watching numbers go up, rather then actual gameplay.

I have to admit I care less for the spirits than I did for the stickers in Brawl, so I can't really say if I make my life much harder than it could be.

Nontheless these fights feel artificially to me, especially the ones you can't touch the ground without taking damage or having increased chance of flying off screen.

This is a fight I have no idea how to beat:

tjF0UAY.jpg 

3 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:
Spoiler

I have to admit I care less for the spirits than I did for the stickers in Brawl, so I can't really say if I make my life much harder than it could be.

Nontheless these fights feel artificially to me, especially the ones you can't touch the ground without taking damage or having increased chance of flying off screen.

tjF0UAY.jpg 

Battle of cuteness . kirby vs pikachu =)) .

Anyway , like everyone else. I'm play FE7 remake.. It's kinda boring . But I really like charater designs in the game. They are beautiful.

8 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

tjF0UAY.jpg 

There is a type of spirit that makes you immune to electric floors. That's all there is to it. The entire point of this obstacle is to force you to equip a specific spirit to completely negate it.

Edited by BrightBow

My friend lent me his Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy last month and I just finished with it. All games I had played on PS1 growing up, but seeing them so lovingly redone was a treat. Crash 1 is depth perception hell to most players, but with certain adjustments, the game is made much less frustrating. A proper save system, for instance, removes the fear of game overs. In the original, you could only save after a boss level, or after clearing a bonus round inside of a level (which you only had one chance at in the original, but now infinite chances in the remake). Checkpoints are also far more generous, and dying repeatedly on a checkpoint not only awards you masks, but also creates brand new checkpoints within that level so that you can make some progress. Getting 100% completion was also made easier where only the colored gems require the player to beat the level in one life -whereas in the original you had to no death every single level. So what we're left with is an experience much more fair for completionists, and much easier for newcomers. In fact, I found it to be the easiest of the three games in this collection due to the sheer frequency of extra life crates compared to the other two. I also love the addition of stormy ascent, a super hard level that existed in the original's code but was inaccessible without hacking.

Crash 2 really surprised me. It's the game I always recall being the best of the trilogy due to the addition of new moves and tech. I think I let speedruns paint my perception of the game for too long, because the casual play experience can get very frustrating. Especially with the higher input lag of modern displays, and dropped inputs of my crappy switch controllers. And with how infrequent extra lives are, you can only very rarely receives masks and new checkpoints when struggling on a level. I did indeed had to resort to grinding extra lives on previous stages a few times. Crash 2's got some very obtuse level design and secrets when going for completion, but thankfully loading screen tips clue you in on what to do. Although "be nice to the boxes" is still very cryptic, as is the secret warp you find by jumping on nitro boxes. Bet that sold a lot of strategy guides.

Crash 3 I have a new appreciation for. It was always the "gimmicky" one in my mind, but really its amount of gimmick levels is pretty equivalent to the previous game, and they play well except for those damned motorcycle races. The standard platforming levels are excellent, with very few issues involving depth perception compared to the previous two games. The dinosaur chase sections aren't so great, however, with the camera only revealing a few feet in front of crash, it's easy to step onto a lava pit. I love the new moves you earn through progression. One would assume the double jump to be the most useful upgrade, but the super spin actually helps a lot with crossing gaps and passing clean over difficult jump challenges. Even the fruit bazooka proves to be useful for clearing out enemies and explosives away from difficult jumps, but you can tell only the final levels were designed with it in mind. 

10 hours ago, BrightBow said:

There is a type of spirit that makes you immune to electric floors. That's all there is to it. The entire point of this obstacle is to force you to equip a specific spirit to completely negate it.

Ah, thanks!

I should focus on the effects of the spirits from now on.

Still it doesn't make these fights better.

As bad as most handicap fights are , as tough and good has been the first fight against Kyra (first time). Of course it has not the aura and soundtrack Tabuh  had, but it was a very challenging fight. Its attacks and patterns are really hard to predict. Was definitely not a bad fight. Also the "dungeons" became better. The Castlevania segment was pretty fun.

Edited by Falcom Knight

Men of War: Vietnam

I've always had a soft spot for the Vietnam war in fiction. (Since I think it tends to lead to somewhat interesting gameplay.)

I quite like how Men of War handles troops compared to other RTS games. (Giving them a full inventory system and the ability to even directly take control of one, controlling them like an istometic shooter which you can use to have them fight more effectively.)

There's even a decent armor penetration system where you can repair enemy tanks that you've not fully destroyed so you have more vehicles though the Vietnam-themed expansion. (Since the series is mostly WW2) doesn't really permit doing this.

Beaten World of Light.

The endgame could make up a bit. Playing Master Hand was a nice Easter egg, but also the boss rush and final boss were fun. Final boss didn't have the aura and theme Tabuu had, but it was a very challenging final boss. Figuring out their pattern was really hard.

Still not a fun adventure overall.

Anyways next game will be Xenoblade 1.

I've been playing Bug fables for the last couple weeks and I kept going for 100% completion. It really isn't every day you get to play a game that you've been waiting for for over a decade. Of course, the game isn't just some Paper Mario knockoff. While there's a lot of that game's DNA within Bug Fables, it's gameplay takes cues from many popular rpgs. It's not just Paper Mario, it's so much more. Had that series gone on for a few more true sequels, this is probably the sort of game we would have been treated to each time. What isn't derivative is everything outside the gameplay. The world is full of wonderful lore, the character moments evoke a range of emotions, and the plot is a smooth, slow burn of discovery.

I also love that it's challenging, and can be made more challenging with the Hard mode medal. I kept that on for the entire playthrough, but I probably should have just put it on for the boss fights, which grant actual rewards for playing on hard mode. Those hard mode rewards can still be acquired on normal mode, they just need to be bought. It's refreshing to play a game with Paper Mario gameplay that's actually challenging from start to finish. Story-based encounters allow you to retry if you game over, and even switch your medal loadout. It's an incredible feeling to try out a new build on a tough fight and have it work better than you hoped. The game is extremely balanced with a feast of great builds and strategies. I also have to compliment the game for making berries - the currency, so incredibly valuable. The side quests are also a delight with very creative side stories attached to them. They can get a little fetch quest-y, but you have an extremely convenient fast travel system that expands as the game goes on.

About the only thing I would change in the game is making more satisfying progression for the party. Level up rewards are pretty small, and medals that change your attack and defense stats always come at a hefty cost or drawback. As a result it feels like your characters aren't getting that much stronger over the course of the game, and sometimes the only way through a boss fight may be to backtrack and cook up some good items which hurts the pacing. I would have appreciated if characters earned boosts to attack and defense as they level up, which wouldn't be out of place since some other stats and abilities are unlocked that way.

Right now I'm swapping between Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones and making a competitive team in Pokemon Sword (I forgot how tedious these games are in that aspect...)