Soooooo what'cha playing?

On 12/10/2019 at 1:16 AM, lightcosmo said:

Playing Shining Resonance: Refrain. Overall, it's pretty fun!

Edit: I've gotten pretty far, and the game is getting a bit tougher now. The difficulty curve is well done.

Some lategame bosses are tough as nails. But they are really fun to fight, too.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The characters in general are pretty great in this game, both the good guys and the bad guys.

He makes me laugh and smile, If only you got to see more of him. I also enjoy the interactions between the characters, although Sonia is still my favorite, I like them all pretty well enough.

One thing that confuses me is how to link the traits properly, I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be doing at all.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

He makes me laugh and smile, If only you got to see more of him. I also enjoy the interactions between the characters, although Sonia is still my favorite, I like them all pretty well enough.

My favorites are (best girl) Kirika and Agnum.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

One thing that confuses me is how to link the traits properly, I'm not sure what i'm supposed to be doing at all.

I haven't played the game in a while (I really should do another playthrough of it one of these days), so my memory is a little fuzzy, but the way it works is that you equip your characters with traits, which are similar to titles in the Tales series, and depending on the traits equipped, you get different bonuses in battle if the characters are next to each other on the link circle thing. You can out them in different places on that circle, too.

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My favorites are (best girl) Kirika and Agnum.

I haven't played the game in a while (I really should do another playthrough of it one of these days), so my memory is a little fuzzy, but the way it works is that you equip your characters with traits, which are similar to titles in the Tales series, and depending on the traits equipped, you get different bonuses in battle if the characters are next to each other on the link circle thing. You can out them in different places on that circle, too.

Ah, I guess that makes some more sense, then. Thank you! Also, sorry for the silly question, considering it wasn't that complicated.

Still playing Crosscode

This game is kind of a dilemma for me

On one hand, I really enjoy the action gameplay, the A+ Boss design and fun characters

On the other hand....

Puzzles

Puzzles everywhere <.<

It's like the game is trying to make me hate it thanks to the amount of puzzles it throws at me. Like holy, 3 puzzles per screen shouldn't be normal. Going from A to B shouldn't be an Enigma. Game really really needs a puzzleless mode. Ah and prespectives during parkour are oof.

Will probably put it on pause anway since i am starting FE16 tomorrow 😄

Edited by Shrimperor

Doing post game content in Xenoblade 2, and was curious what a good crystal farming technique is, I remember it being mentioned somewhere but cant quite remember all the steps. Any help would be great.

Reached my hand for another game from my GBA collection. It's like popcorn at this point. This time Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage. This is the Crash half of the much anticipated Spyro+Crash crossover in 2004. No doubt it disappointed everyone by being a small scale handheld title. Splitting it up into two games seems a tad scummy, as this one is only about three hours worth of levels. And none of them are proper crash levels in terms of gameplay style, save for the crate smashing bonus levels I guess. Imagine if the gimmick levels of Crash 3 were the entire game, and that's what you'd have here. But thanks to the game's length, no gameplay gimmick overstays its welcome. The plot is laughable, especially with goofy cutscene stills where Crash is always giving an open mouthed grin and a thousand yard stare. It's funny in its mediocrity.

Not much to say about this one. It's playable but never creative, demanding of perfect play but short and has generous checkpointing. I fear many players may have been frustrated at the end when they suddenly ask you to get any white gems you missed to progress to the final world. But getting those gems is so easy you probably mopped them up without trying too hard. It's only traversal of the hub worlds that would be tedious due to lack of a map or fast travel to a list of levels. I guess I'll rate this one a 4.1 out of 10. It's an effort, just not a good effort.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:09 PM, lightcosmo said:

Doing post game content in Xenoblade 2, and was curious what a good crystal farming technique is, I remember it being mentioned somewhere but cant quite remember all the steps. Any help would be great.

The most effective grinding method is fighting the Relentless Aruduran. But you have to work to encounter it; have you encountered the Infant Ardun in Torigoth? Hopefully you didn't kill it. It starts at level 1 and you have to feed it items until it reaches level 99, after which it grows into the Relentless Aruduran that you can fight at your liesure. Since it's a Unique Monster, you can fight it as much as you want, and performing Driver Combos on it will get you plenty of Core Crystals. This page has a list of items you can use to make it grow.

If you happened to kill the Ardun before it grew up all the way, you're locked out of fighting the Relentless Aruduran unless you play New Game Plus, so hopefully you left it alone. In that case, you can grind Core Crystals by fighting another Unique Monster instead, though it won't be as efficient.

Edited by Lightchao42

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

The most effective grinding method is fighting the Relentless Aruduran. But you have to work to encounter it; have you encountered the Infant Ardun in Torigoth? Hopefully you didn't kill it. It starts at level 1 and you have to feed it items until it reaches level 99, after which it grows into the Relentless Aruduran that you can fight at your liesure. Since it's a Unique Monster, you can fight it as much as you want, and performing Driver Combos on it will get you plenty of Core Crystals. This page has a list of items you can use to make it grow.

If you happened to kill the Ardun before it grew up all the way, you're locked out of fighting the Relentless Aruduran unless you play New Game Plus, so hopefully you left it alone. In that case, you can grind Core Crystals by fighting another Unique Monster instead, though it won't be as efficient.

I'd add you should farm Vampire Bride Marion in Uraya a little first, and make 5 Treasure Sensors for Poppi. Having Adenine helps too. Marion gives Gold Chips, which increase item drop rates and can stack on all active team members, the drop rate boost includes chips/cores from Driver Combos. 

9 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Right, I maxed the Ardun out, but what is the best equipment setup? I usually get around 20 or so, which isn't that great. Also, maxed level and such of course.

Edit: It varies how many I get, sometimes I get 10 sometimes more, depends suppose. Also, thanks for the assistance!

Edited by lightcosmo

For some reason, I'm playing Buck Roger's Countdown to Doomsday - I needed something "short" to take intermittent breaks from the MMO grind (holiday missions). It is a game that uses the SSI Goldbox engine (normally reserved for fantasy settings)… The Gold box series, ESPECIALLY pool of radiance are some of the most "rest spam" happy D&D related stuff to ever be made, but the sci-fi setting kind of helps Buck Roger's avoid that... on the other hand... Having "grenades" that functionally do the same thing as fireballs kind of gives you as much (if not more) ability to blitz things without running out of "slots".  I think the tone of the game is better than expected with its  pulp sci-fi action hero setup - you have to dive on a grenade in the tutorial dungeon!  The game seems like it will continue to reward "brave" dialog choices and punish "self preservation" dialog choices.

The combat seems to have some major problems compared to the D&D things the engine is usually saved for - "spellcasters" are not a rarity that is tactically hidden behind melee enemies, since anything with grenades is basically a spellcaster.... and when a whole gang of pirates or robots grenade you.... you can tell why the enemies in Dragonlance and Pool of Radiance weren't given fireball on a routine basis.... The game does give you "chaff" grenades so you can hide in smoke clouds for temporary immunity... but for the most part it's a matter of grenading them before they grenade you.... The game's different weapon types are halfbacked, but unlike the 2nd E D&D sword > other melee, it's a bigger problem -  Robot enemies have outright immunity to most of the ranged guns.... making specializing in the needler top everything else. Melee isn't as fun as in goldbox because stat requirements take away the fun of backstabbing (even with no AoO to worry about in this game). The Guard command now has overwatch esque properties, but is kind of useless.

I feel like I'll knock this out pretty quick, but it's kind of leaving me hungry.

I played Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Honestly, I got a lot more out of this game than I was expecting, especially with its narrative and world building. So cool to see other threats in this fantasy universe than just Dracula showing up every century. The documents you get from your fallen brothers are always a compelling read too. Combat's a mixed bag. Coming out in 2010, it takes queues from God of War and Devil May Cry, but clearly hasn't learned all they have learned. The counter system is satisfying, but it feels like 50% of attacks coming at you are unblockable, and the signal for an unblockable attack is not often communicated well or even at all. Really it's just the mob fights that feel the most obnoxious. Enemies also have no issue attacking you while currently out of view which is an action game sin. I also felt controls and combos can be unresponsive, but it may be an issue with the steam port or my controller which is in rough shape.

I wish the music had a more distinctively castlevania feel, or at least something with more of a beat. What we have is just God of War-esque choir singing both in and out of combat I also wish traversal was more creative than the standard climbing you'd see in any game. Sometimes your whip is used creatively to swing but such moments are rare and typically scripted for the player. And sometimes the level design is just super obtuse. Breakable walls and switches that can only be interacted with a very specific attack. Sometimes the way forward is obvious, but you just find yourself pressing all the buttons to figure out what the intended interaction method is. Puzzles can be similarly obtuse, but by spending experience points you can get crucial hints on each of them, or sometimes skip them altogether. At one point the game threw a board of castlevania chess at me and I noped right out of that. I don't have the patience for real life chess, let alone learning a new type in which all the pieces do something unique, including the summoning of more pieces.

I rate Lords of Shadow a 6.5 out of 10. And I'm left very interested in its sequel. We can't say in retrospect Lords of Shadow is the future of Castlevania, but I'd take this over a sixth Symphony of the Night game any day. I don't think I ever once imagined a castlevania in the style of character action games, but now I know it's an excellent fit that warrants further exploration. Too bad Konami has little to no interest in console game development these days.

I just have started with God Eater 3.

I also own the first two parts, but I wanted to start with the lastest one because they are not connected as far as I know and I prefer playing imon a Switch than on a PS4. 

Gameplay reminds me very much Devil May Cry except that earlygame missions were extremly short (mainly explaining controls and combat). The first boss showed that I have to get used on the controls because I barely survived. 

I like the idea of an avatar. Female default avatar looks like Rosalina, he'll yeah! Well, I named her Rose.

Played one more games before Christmas came around, Metroid 2: Return of Samus. This is the last of the main series games I had to play. I guess I was curious how much was adapted for the 2017 remake. Lots of NES games got Game Boy sequels but this is the rare occassion where the game boy game improves in many aspects over the original. There's a save system, there are health and missile recharge stations to cut down on grinding off enemies, Samus can now crouch and shoot directly down when airborne which helps immensely with short enemies. The level design is improved immensely and the inclusions of Space Jump and Spider Ball give you extremely free movement. The game world is split into 10 areas, and defeating all the Metroids allows you to progress onto the next. The problem is that while the game will tell you when you're done with an area, it won't show you which of the rooms has now been changed into an exit to the next area. I was playing with a map, but even if I were making a map of my own, I'd still be stumbling around for that way forward, because each room needs to be searched top to bottom. I rate Metroid 2 a 4.7 out of 10. Still pretty unplayable without a map, but much more fun than the original.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, Zemuria said:

The first boss showed that I have to get used on the controls because I barely survived. 

Depending on the weapon you choose to main or favor, there might be a learning curve. I found that out the hard way--wanted to main the big Buster Blade, only to find out that I'd need to learn how to do counterattacks, which I suck at. Had better luck with the dual blades (Biting Edge) for my initial run. Now I use Short Blade for its emphasis on doing damage to weak points, and quick repositioning on the field.