Glennstavos

Soooooo what'cha playing?

Playing Battalion Wars

Hasn't aged as well as I hoped it would...

I went in already prepared for the enemies to just let you circle strafe them to death, but the basic level design is surprisingly railroaded and linear for FAR too long - Some elements of level design (altenrating bazooka enemies with machinegun type stuff) to encourage fight with infantry > hold > fight with tank > Hold > fight with infantry again... is overused and also kind of bypassable (you can fight with the unit being countered due to dumb enemies)

still a decent "blaze through in a weekend game" but not really worthy of even hidden gem status

Trials of Mana (Nintendo Switch)

I like the graphics in the remake a lot. My party is now Riesz and Angela. 

Outland is an indie marriage between metroidvania and Ikaruga of all games. The game has enemies and hazards in red and blue, and your character must swap to the correct 'polarity' to deal with them. Some bosses have schmup inspired attacks but otherwise the game never gets too crazy for more than a moment or too. One thing that does annoy me is that your character flashes red when taking damage. That becomes an issue when dealing with red hazards. You might think that you're already switched to red in order to avoid damage, however you might really be set to blue and are only flashing red. Just a small conveyance issue. The game feels neither easy nor difficult. I appreciate that enemies drop health pick ups the closer you get to 0HP. If you're willing to stop and think about how you'll handle the next enemy or hazard, you should make it to the next checkpoint no problem despite some very sloppy play when you were at high health. The game features co op but unfortunately it's online only rather than split screen so I wasn't able to partake on my Xbox Live Arcade version of the game.

As a metroidvania, exploration isn't emphasized. You're never tasked with returning to a previous area with your new skills for the purpose of progression. If you look at your map, the precise place you need to go next is always marked along with exact level architecture. And if you choose not to look at your map ever, there are these floating lights that mark the path to progression whenever there's a fork in the road. Choosing to go off the marked path can lead you to more money and collectibles. Money is spent on health upgrades at specific stations. If you don't have the money for the upgrade, then your only option is to stop and grind or keep a mental note of where that upgrade was. I generally killed most enemies in my path, but still came up short on cash for the upgrades for much of the late game. You would have to grind in order to stay up to date. As for the collectible 'Marks of the Gods', they mainly unlock gallery images, but also useful bonuses like marking secrets on your map. Collecting all 42 Marks gives you a double damage upgrade on your attacks.

I enjoyed my time with it. When it comes to this genre of game, I'm never looking to get lost like some others are. Being told where I need to go is always appreciated so that I don't waste time chasing a different rabbit hole. I understand how that sort of hand holding can be obnoxious, but Ideally these games could have it just be an option you can toggle on and off to suit your preference. Apparently the guys who made this game are making big waves with their latest next gen release: Returnal. Small world.

Edited by Glennstavos

Tales of Zestiria (Steam). It pretty fun so far. I'm exploring some ruins.

(Don't like the controls, but that might because I'm so used to handheld systems.)

3 hours ago, Lyn said:

Tales of Zestiria (Steam). It pretty fun so far. I'm exploring some ruins.

(Don't like the controls, but that might because I'm so used to handheld systems.)

Have you encountered issues with the camera in battle? Made battling almost unplayable for me personally. 

Just Bug Fables at the moment. In the middle of Ch. 4. Been enjoying it so far. Fun gameplay, good cast of characters, and a lovely art style.

Kinda deciding on what to play next now that I've finished both Spider-Man PS4 and Miles Morales. Maybe Ratchet & Clank since it was free on PSN or I might jump into Kingdom Hearts with the 1.5 + 2.5 remix that's been sitting in my backlog for a while now.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Have you encountered issues with the camera in battle? Made battling almost unplayable for me personally. 

Not yet. The camera is annoying while exploring though. 

I managed to pull an all-nighter Saturday playing Civilization 5, weird.. I never considered myself that much of a fan of them before.. I guess they had more kick to them than I remembered.