Pokemon Masters, Pokemon Home, Pokemon Sleep and more! - Conference Discussion

Anacybele

Anyone else watch the conference that just ended? I thought it was good! Pokemon Masters and Home look great and Brock is ripped. lol

Detective Pikachu 2 is coming to the Switch! Or at least I assume it's Detective Pikachu 2. They only said it's a new Detective Pikachu project for the Switch. I still need to play the 3DS game, and now I have a lot more incentive to. ?

Pokemon Home appears to be Bank's successor, although even Bank itself is compatible with it! You can move Pokemon from Bank to Home. This also looks like it'll finally allow GO players to trade globally, as you can bring Pokemon from GO to Home, trade with someone in Home, and then probably be able to bring the newly traded Pokemon to GO. At least, I hope this is the case. GO itself not having global trading is so stupid.

I was confused about Pokemon Sleep at first, but now I've learned that it converts your sleep time into GO rewards. Could be pretty useful.

Pokemon Masters looks so fun. Brock is ripped. You can battle all kinds of trainers from the games, including champions, gym leaders, other NPC trainers, and more according to what the footage shows. And Brock is ripped. This game looks great! I'm most anticipated for this out of what was shown today. And did I mention Brock is freakin' ripped? The ladies he tries to woo are seriously missing out. XD

Edited by Anacybele

I totally called the new Pokémon mobile game to be a gacha with the human characters. Well... it was kinda tongue in cheek, but it was still on the money. I’m excited for Masters, and I hope to collect all my favorite characters like Skyla and Whitney.

Home is a handy transition from the Bank. It was kinda to be expected.

The other news I don’t care too much about. Now to await the Sword and Shield Direct for next week.

Pokemon I Sleep haha.

Ok, jokes aside, Pokemon Home is the most important thing announced since it reveals how we get our old Pokemon to the newer games. My main concern is this: will i have to renew my PokeBank subscription so i can use it to transfer my Pokemon to Pokemon Home (which is also a paid subscription) so i can transfer Sword and Shield?

Next thing they'll try to do is make eating a way to gain rewards. Looking forward to Detective Pikachu 2 though, I'm hoping it becomes dedicated franchise, but knowing how Pokemon Company treats spin offs general, I'm guessing no. I wonder if Pokemon Home is going to be like bank or something like PokePelago. Hopefully the former. That'll make it more interesting. 

A Pokemon gacha co-developed by DeNa. Oh boy, how P2W is this going to be? Also, it's more appealing for younger audiences. Gotta get them hooked to gacha with their mom's credit card lol. I'll wait and see what becomes of this project. but I do have a strong sense of cynicism carrying over from FEH

Let me guess: The massive collab of mobile games will be Pokemon Masters Go Home Sleep.

Anyways, this was a very dry presentation, with a bunch of people showing up describing things related to their roles. Some of it was merch and other things like that, but as for the games:

Detective Pikachu 2: Electric Boogaloo is coming to switch (RIP 3DS) and we know pretty much nothing else.

Home is honestly pretty neat, even if I want to be able to trade on the switch as well if it's available on there. Note that the only escape route right now is to Sword and Shield, everything else is a 1-way trip.

Sleep made me initially think that Pikachu was going to euthanise the kid before falling asleep beside them. Regardless, I wonder. It seems like the kind of thing that was made in response to a wider issue (the idea that we all lack it) but I'm wondering what encouraged them to go into it and what data could be used from it.

Masters is something that could be really cool. We saw a triple battle, but I wonder how combat and the (inevitable) gacha element will be in this game before passing serious judgement.

I really do like the idea behind Masters, but I'm also going to really hate it if it's a gacha game. Well, I'd like to see the previous player characters - we saw Rosa! yay, and I'm also looking forward to "meeting" Shauntal, Wallace, and Burgh. 

Indifferent about the other two, since I don't have or use Bank, and we don't know what Sleep will actually do yet.

Rant about gacha games below.

Spoiler

The gacha mechanic spoils a lot of promising games for me, such as Heroes, Love Live, and Otogi Spirit Agents. They all force you to have the rarest cards possible to win/get the highest scores, but it's nigh-on impossible to get those cards without paying for extra pulls. It's made worse when the games include a multiplayer aspect because anyone who pays will probably have a better team than you.

What I find especially unfair is that paying still doesn't guarantee you a good unit. That encourages people to buy hundred-packs of pulls for exorbitant prices just to get a character they like or a card which is viable in game. In an ideal world, paying would guarantee a unit of a certain tier - like, only the rarest cards or something. Otherwise what's even the point of paying, when I won't necessarily get better results than not paying?

It drove me mad when I dabbled in gacha games like Love Live. Actually, Love Live's gacha model is the worst because you need to have rare cards to succeed on the higher difficulties. It's the main reason I hate it, not to mention the idol premise, the not-so-interesting music, and the not-so-interesting characters.

Gacha is why I don't want to get Heroes and why I stopped playing Otogi, which was one of the fairest gacha games out there for those who don't want to spend any money. They gave you a free summon each day which had a chance of netting you the rarest cards, but if you wanted to do more summons on the same day you had to pay for tickets to do it. Otogi doesn't force you to have rare cards to actually progress in the game, but it's hard to clear the difficult levels without them. In the end, I got tired of waiting around for a 5-star to come my way and deleted it.

TL;DR - Gacha games are hilariously unbalanced and broken so they're not worth my time.

im not sure if this post itself could be used for speculating pokemon masters. but I thought it may be nice to let you know what a potential leak from a week before the confrince has told that could be in the game.
https://pokejungle.net/2019/05/29/new-details-revealed-about-pokemon-masters/