Manga talk

Innocentmask

This is just a thread basically discussing your general thoughts on manga genre. You can also discuss some of your favourite manga you've read here. So i'll put my thoughts on manga here:

I favour manga more than anime. The compact format, the fast paced action and not too much dialogue. Those are the qualities that i favour about them. I like reading them physically on paper than digitally. Sure there is anime but i feel manga is more easier to follow and a bit more comfortable to sit through, its that i like to see the original format instead of adapted. There are light novels, comics but these are bit text heavy for me. Manga tends to be more creative than most other genres and they don't really tend to be too realistic or let logic control them most of the time. A cons would be that i'd have to collect all volumes which tends to be costly and also clutter space.

Currently reading: Murchelango, Demon slayer, Jojo bizarre adventure: Phantom blood. 

So yeah that's all my thoughts, may update this later on another time. I would to hear your words on the genre.

Edited by Innocentmask
Added another currently reading manga: Jojo bizarre adventure.

I can get through a manga faster than an anime, but I l feel like it's harder to discuss manga with other people since for other people it seems like a taller order to ask them to also read rather than watch. So when making recommendations I shy away from it

My favorite manga are Great Teacher Onizuka > Yotsuba > Ranma 1/2. I like comedy manga more than most comedy anime, especially older stuff. It just delivers the jokes really well. There are a couple of series I half remember that were really incomplete (like 6-13 slims) but in manga format that just didn't bother me as much as it would otherwise. of Course, most of those were episodic comedies I guess. 

I haven't read a lot of manga. The ones I've read and like are Berserk, Shingeki No Kyoujin and Majo No Ie. Helk was also a fun ride but dragged a bit too much by the end of the story. BokuHero I'm planning to pick up when I'm 50 chapters or so behind. I just can't find myself to care as much about BokuHero as I used to.

From all of those Shingeki No Kyoujin is definitely my favorite. The story and characters are fantastic. Yams has done an amazing job shifting my opinions on characters from arc to arc and the plot twists are really well done. Can't wait for the next chapter, it should release in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading Shokugeki no Soma.

Holy shit, I haven't been this disappointed in an ending since Hikaru no Go...they even ended the exact same way!

I don't really like Manga. I find reading it backwards to be quite awkward and the position of the pannels sometimes makes it hard to follow what goes on. 

I do occasionally read the My Hero Academia manga though. This is mostly because the lack of My Hero anime is triggering withdraw symptoms. It started with me being really interested in seeing where Endeavor's arc ended up and after that I never really stopped checking in with it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello. I am a 15-year-old who has never watched Anime or read Manga before. Are the Death Note Anime Books an acceptable place to start?

32 minutes ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Hello. I am a 15-year-old who has never watched Anime or read Manga before. Are the Death Note Anime Books an acceptable place to start?

Death note is a pretty fun time if you’re into psychological thrillers and the like though the second half is pretty bad

On 7/19/2019 at 1:37 AM, KnightOfNohr said:

Absolutely! Death Note was my introduction to manga/anime (my sister was a huge fan and kinda forced me into reading it lol). I think it's a really good series that anyone can enjoy, whether they're into manga/anime or not. I prefer the anime myself (the ending of the manga is slightly different) but both are great.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

hoo boy, do i have a lot to say
well, first off, the "manga", or rather the "comic" media in gereral is not a genre, it's a form of art just like movies, paintings, sculptures, architecture and so on

as for my relation with comics, i've always preferred them to any "passive" form of art which includes both audio and video elements (anime, movies, etc.), generally
this said, i'm not that knowledgeable on the matter, as i've always preferred to read comics that i thought or knew i'd have probably liked, no matter how old, compared to what people generally label as "good": that's why some of the works i've read might not be too popular (don't know exactly what's considered "popular" outside italy, aside from those 3/4 names you constantly read around the web)

Shaman King, Medaka Box, A Silent Voice (which is 10000 times better than the movie adaptation), Shonan Jun'ai Gumi, GTO (which is infinitely better than the anime adaptation) and also GTO's spin-offs Shonan 14 Days, Ino-Head Gargoyle, Bad Company, GTR and GTO Paradise Lost, are my absolute favorite comics as of now, but they don't usually come up when people discuss their favorite comics, mostly because some of them are quite old, i think (Shonan Jun'ai Gumi in particular is 30 years old)

yes, i like more mainstream series too (such as Hokuto no KenJoJo, Devilman, Tokyo Ghoul, Dragon Ball, Fullmetal AlchemistDeath Note and Saint Seiya (although it's quite popular here in Europe, or at least in italy, france and spain as far as i know, it actually isn't popular at all in north america (and yet apparently it is in south america, for some reason))), but generally what's considered "mainstream" at the moment just doesn't resonate with me when i actually try to get into it

i also like ecchi and hentai comics (Shinmai Maou no Testament, Prison School, High School of the Dead, High School DxD (which i honestly find quite boring compared to the anime adaptation), and i think people shouldn't be ashamed nor be judged for liking them

some of the comics i'd like to read are Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai and Emblem of RotoBerserkAttack on TitanAkira, Slam Dunk, NG Evangelion, all of Urasawa Naoki's works, many of Tezuka Osamu's works and so many other comics, i honestly don't have enough time to list them all down rip my wallet

tl;dr i like what i like, no matter things like target audience and genre

Edited by Yexin

• 7 months later...

For me I often read Romance, Comedy and Slice o’ Lifes. Some of the ones I’m currently reading are Komi can’t communicate which is great, 100 GFs an affectation parody of the harem genre and it does harem better then any other. Rentarou the protagonist of 100 GFs is just such a great character. Hitomi is shy with strangers is another great one that I wish got more attention. Debby the Corsifa is emulous is just funny as heck but seems to never update. Lastly while I have very mixed feelings on it I have been reading Even if we don’t do it. A serious drama based around a failing marriage.