Flame Emperor and Grim Knight identity theory thread

Who do you think they are?

I'm just going to say this: I think the Flame Emperor is related to Edelgard. I have a feeling it's either one of her parents or a sibling.

I don't know why but the lyrics remind me of the flame emperor.

Yet still I hide
behind this mask that I have become
My blackened heart
scorched by flames of force I can't run from

Flame emperor is definitely a relative of Edelgard. The colours just match too much. Either that, or they are someone who was maybe supposed to inherit the imperial throne but got passed over by Edelgard and thus has a vendetta against the church because of the crests choosing the line of succession

As for the knight, I feel like they will be more of an enemy class or entity. Like I can see there being multiple of them

Edited by Azz

I've had this theory for a little bit of time now and I've probably mentioned it on every other thread on this forum, BUT, once more can't hurt, right?

The Flame Emperor is the bearer of a crest, let's say, for the sake of drama it's Edelgard's older brother, but that doesn't really come into play much.
The Flame Emperor was experimented on by a circle of scientists and mages within the Church of Seiros, the main goal of said experiments was to fully "draw out" the power of a crest, later perfected with the crest stones. However, before this, countless individuals, including our very own Flame Emperor here, were experimented upon. In the Flame Emperor's case, the experiments drew out the power of his crest, giving him immense magical power, unlike that of any other crest bearer. As shown with the archbishop at the end of trailer 2, who also willingly underwent such procedures to enhance his arcane abilities, this process left serious physical scars; such as the pasty white skin of the archbishop; resulting in the Flame Emperor concealing his body with a mask and armour. The power this process granted him allowed him to "summon" creatures, dubbed by the Flame Emperor as "Reaper Knights"; made of pure crest energy; to do his bidding. 
That's the main theory, but if the Emperor is Edelgard's older brother; it could give some more context to:
- Why Edelgard is stated to be the Heir; as her brother is presumed dead after the experiments.
- Why Edelgard despises the crests so much; the experiments are what took her brother away from her.
It would also explain why he calls himself Emperor; as if he were still alive; he would be Adrestia's next emperor.
If the Adrestian Emperor is as closely linked to the church as people think, maybe he gave his permission to perform experiments on his son, maybe they wanted him specifically because he bears the Crest of Seiros herself, which would also explain why he is the most notable of these "failed" experiments, as the power which was drawn forth was Seiros' herself. On second though, the Flame Emperor being Edelgard's brother makes a lot of sense in this theory.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

I expect one of them to be a woman, it's one of the first things that occurred to me. Although the Flame Emperor being Edelgard's older brother makes sense.

Given that we'll be fighting the church eventually, and there seems to be not just these villain looking groups but also non-villain sounding individuals like Lonato already doing so, something tells me that we'll be on the church's side early game and then later on we'll join the cause of our previous enemies to fight the TRUE enemy or whatever. Plus there's still wrinklebro from the direct trailer, whom we haven't seen yet. I assume HE has something to do with why people some hold a grudge against church of seiros.

1 minute ago, TheDreamReturns said:

Given that we'll be fighting the church eventually, and there seems to be not just these villain looking groups but also non-villain sounding individuals like Lonato already doing so, something tells me that we'll be on the church's side early game and then later on we'll join the cause of our previous enemies to fight the TRUE enemy or whatever. Plus there's still wrinklebro from the direct trailer, whom we haven't seen yet. I assume HE has something to do with why people some hold a grudge against church of seiros.

I bet he's one of the dudes doing the experimentation.

I feel like the Grim Reaper is just straight up an undead. The red eyes give me that feeling. As for the Flame Emperor, i'm in agreement that he may be related to Adrestria somehow. 

I wiil just copy what i typed in the other thread:

"Guys, Flame Emperor is Edelgard's "Savitar" come now, he even has feathers on him, And he has a axe,and his colors are not just Adrastias, its just Edelgards Noble outfit.

Edelgard class name is Black Eagles, eagle is a type of the bird. And Flame Emperor's armor is decorate with eagle like feathers.

It wouldn't suprise me to be honest."

Basically i think its Future Edelgard.

I'm calling it now: one of them turns out to be Dimitri. The other will be your dad, who "dies" at the beginning.
I definitely think Dimitri will turn out to be a villain somehow, even if my above theory isn't true. They didn't emphasize the fact that he has "a dark side" for nothing.

20 hours ago, Azz said:

Flame emperor is definitely a relative of Edelgard. The colours just match too much. Either that, or they are someone who was maybe supposed to inherit the imperial throne but got passed over by Edelgard and thus has a vendetta against the church because of the crests choosing the line of succession

This makes a lot of sense, actually. I think I'll adopt this theory for now as well. Maybe this also has to do with Edelgard's line about Crests being to blame? Heck she didn't ask for it. 

The Death Knight seems like an undead or even kind of a Legion character to me. However, for some reason I expect Jeralt to have a connection to him somehow. Maybe it's someone he knows, someone he's fought, or hell, maybe it's him if Jeralt does end up biting the dust. 

I can see Edelgard perhaps being related to one of them, since her last name "Hraesvelgr" means Corpse Eater in old norsk. But on the other hand, I have the feel, that Jeralt might be one of them. We just can't have a father character who doesn't die, or is a villain. 

One idea that could be interesting: Back in the day Seiros and Nemesis were allies against some great threat to humanity, be that dragons/terrors or whatever. But when the dust settled and it was time to decide what next, they turned on each other. They fought, Seiros won, and she went on to found the church which helped found the empire and the church influinced Fodlan's political state from the shadows during the proceeding centuries. This Flame Emperor guy is a decedent of Nemesis, possibly bearing his crest, and thus fancies himself the "true" ruler of Fodlan, as his families birthright was stolen from them by the church. This gives him a clear motivation for ordering a hit on the heirs (The Kingdom and Alliance succeeded from the Empire in the past so he'd see himself as rightful ruler of all three) and it gives him a direct, personal connection to Byleth which is always nice for an antagonist to have.

15 hours ago, colossus86 said:

One idea that could be interesting: Back in the day Seiros and Nemesis were allies against some great threat to humanity, be that dragons/terrors or whatever. But when the dust settled and it was time to decide what next, they turned on each other. They fought, Seiros won, and she went on to found the church which helped found the empire and the church influinced Fodlan's political state from the shadows during the proceeding centuries. This Flame Emperor guy is a decedent of Nemesis, possibly bearing his crest, and thus fancies himself the "true" ruler of Fodlan, as his families birthright was stolen from them by the church. This gives him a clear motivation for ordering a hit on the heirs (The Kingdom and Alliance succeeded from the Empire in the past so he'd see himself as rightful ruler of all three) and it gives him a direct, personal connection to Byleth which is always nice for an antagonist to have.

I could see Nemesis and Seiros being allies at some point, but the theming of the Flame Emperor leans towards an Adrestrian connection of some sort, rather than all 3.

Since the Reaper Knight is allegedly going around kidnapping students, I bet he's the one behind the (alleged) crest experimentation, stealing students for those experiments (and leading to the creation of these mysterious black beasts).

I also can't help shake the feeling that the Flame Emperor is Catherine (who wields a flaming sword in one of the trailers).

Edited by Moonlit Knight

9 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Since the Reaper Knight is allegedly going around kidnapping students, I bet he's the one behind the (alleged) crest experimentation, stealing students for those experiments (and leading to the creation of these mysterious black beasts).

I also can't help shake the feeling that the Flame Emperor is Catherine (who wields a flaming sword in one of the trailers).

I could've seen that if the Flame Emperor wielded Swords but as he wields Axes Idk. If the Reaper Knight and the Flame Emperor are both on the same side I doubt the Reaper Knight would want more students to be experimented on; as my whole idea is that the Flame Emperor is fighting back against those who caused his trauma. It would be cool if it turned out the group assumed that the Reaper Knight and Flame Emperor are connected when actually they're on different sides of the conflict, the Reaper Knight being a soldier of this inner circle of the church responsible for the experimentation meanwhile the Flame Emperor still wants to fight back against them.

The Reaper Knight is stated to look otherwordly, and it seems to kidnap people for the Flame Emperor without the latter having to do any work himself. So obvioulsy the reaper Knight is the Flame Emperor's stand. And since Byleth's stand Sothis can reverse time, and only villains have time-manipulating stands, the player is actually the bad guy and the Flame Emperor was secretly the good guy all along.

40 minutes ago, Druplesnubb said:

The Reaper Knight is stated to look otherwordly, and it seems to kidnap people for the Flame Emperor without the latter having to do any work himself. So obvioulsy the reaper Knight is the Flame Emperor's stand. And since Byleth's stand Sothis can reverse time, and only villains have time-manipulating stands, the player is actually the bad guy and the Flame Emperor was secretly the good guy all along.

That would be crazy plottwist, if Byleth is the true Antagonist. I like it. 

It's not that crazy I think, so far they are really tight lips about antagonists and their motivation. We don't even know who's really a "good" guy, or if there was one.

Like how they implied church was "bad", or at least some sections, but no evidence of anything church doing wrong, instead everything so far saying church was the peace keeper of the land. Then there is "liberation king", Blyeth named after a demon (who names their kids after demons?), or who Sothis was and her motivation? In fact, all current factions could ended up being the true villain. There must be a lot more than what we have so far.

1 hour ago, Timlugia said:

It's not that crazy I think, so far they are really tight lips about antagonists and their motivation. We don't even know who's really a "good" guy, or if there was one.

Like how they implied church was "bad", or at least some sections, but no evidence of anything church doing wrong, instead everything so far saying church was the peace keeper of the land. Then there is "liberation king", Blyeth named after a demon (who names their kids after demons?), or who Sothis was and her motivation? In fact, all current factions could ended up being the true villain. There must be a lot more than what we have so far.

You know Nintendo UK "accidently" spoiled that the church is evil, right? 

On 6/8/2019 at 5:36 AM, Owain Dark said:

You know Nintendo UK "accidently" spoiled that the church is evil, right? 

Just becasue the church is evil doesn't mean it's the only evil in the game.

And honestly...I'm pretty sure there will be more to the story than "Church is evil, go take it down" 

35 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Just becasue the church is evil doesn't mean it's the only evil in the game.

And honestly...I'm pretty sure there will be more to the story than "Church is evil, go take it down" 

Yeah of course the church is not the only enemy in fe16