[FE8] Some strange hacking crashes

kaiyamato

So a few weeks back I downloaded FEBuilder to finally get on my dream project. It's honestly been amazing so far, the program is truly a marvel of hacking ingenuity. But unfortunately it's not helped me figure out a very big problem I've come across.

Certain ways of fighting seems to freeze the game for about 10-15 seconds, then force it back to the main menu. But it's veeeery specific! It seems to involve custom animations each time, but all of them were downloaded from the big repository from FEU, and all of them seem quite complete when I review the animations. Basically certain things work while others don't.

Let me clarify; in the first map, I have it set so that you're taught the weapon triangle by moving at three enemies with three allies, all of whom would fight at an advantage against said enemies. You have a custom female fighter that attacks a custom soldier in melee with an axe. That works fine without crashing. Then a custom lord against a regular male fighter in melee. That works fine too. Then lastly, you have a custom soldier that attacks a regular mercenary with a javelin. That also works. Now, without putting ANY sort of coding in to force the player to attack in these ways, NOTHING ELSE WORKS. If you change up those configurations at all, it leads to the crash I mentioned above. Even something as small as using your soldier to attack the mercenary in melee instead of at range causes the crash. My thought there was just, "okay weird, but I guess I can try to solve it later. I'll just test the rest of the maps now and debug after." WRONG! Because the boss of this chapter is a custom knight sprite, and the crash happens against him if ANYONE tries to battle him.

So, uh... Any ideas? I'm pretty new to hacking and while the tool is simple to use, I might have overlooked something basic due to inexperience.