Jakob's unusual path to being a god

mangasdeouf

Hi there,

Today I've begun 2 runs (1 CQ 1 Rev) and I had a goal. In CQ I wanted to make Jakob a great unit and thought of a concept: instant reclass (level 3) into GK until level 15, then falcon knight or kinshi knight. The goal is to have either a mage killer or directly aflyer killer with easy access to darting blow, camaraderie for better sustain and then air superiority in order to screw up ennemy flyers alongside amaterasu for team sustain. With Elbow Room and the GK lv 15 skill, he's safe against physical units while dealing damage and if I keep Luna on him he's gonna rock hard.

In Rev I thought "man, I was so stupid, sure the GK Kinshi build is awesome but what about a swordmaster>MoA>Pally or GK? It would be even more OP. So I went for it, grinded my support rank to S with Corrin to pass samurai to level 3 Jakob who promoted with a marriage seal and after chapter 7, which he reckt without much defence and without any tonic but alternating between bronze sword and bottle for 10 dodge (1 MT 110 acc) and the bosszerker had 17 hit on him on EP, 0 on PP for 16 damage, Azura K.O after 1/3rd of the chapter...OFC Corrin backpack on Jakob.

Jakob: level 12.93 Swordmaster, res +2, gentleman or whatever the maid/strategist level 10 unpromoted skill is called, duellist's blow, vantage, astra, swordfaire coming soon

HP: 31

str: 12

mag: 8

skl: 17

spd: 19

lck: 16

def: 9

res: 12 +2 (res +2)

I hesitate between MoA or directly paladin for 8 move after he get swordfaire.

Whatever, with such low defence he destroyed chapter 7 which many units have struggled in during other playthroughs especially on hard mode and with Azura going to sleep after a 3rd of the chapter. And he started as low as level 3. With his stats now he will be even more insane in the next maps and his skillset ensures he will stay relevant with Corrin pair-up for the whole game. Early elbow room swordfaire armor killer is really busted. Especially astra swordfaire elbow room armor killer, +16 damage in 2 hits this early is insane.

For people who said MU samurai is OP, then I tell them they should try samurai Jakob reclassed into paladin after grabbing all the good skills they want. It reminds me of the Valm boss in Awakening, but this time he'll be faster and have vantage and replace OP stats with OP skills making up for lower stats than better long run units. I'll post his paladin or GK stats after I reclass him. OFC this is all without any stat booster, otherwise he'd rival Xander's HP (or at least Ryoma's with 36 HP if I give Jakob a seraph robe).

18 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

With his stats now he will be even more insane in the next maps and his skillset ensures he will stay relevant with Corrin pair-up for the whole game.

if you plan to use him as support unit for Corrin pair-up, all you really need is just Pavise, Aegis, Aether, Dual GuardsmanĀ and Miracle. Nohrian Trust will do the rest.

if it's for other roles instead, reclassing Jacob into Paladin is always a good choice, i guarantee on that.

he can do very good damage with magic weapons, such as theĀ Levin SwordĀ orĀ Bolt Naginata,Ā while kiting enemies from the distance. the problem is that the damage output itself will be the only thing you'll need to consider, because if i remember well( i'm a bit rusty on Fates ) those two weapons can't deal critical hits, and perhaps can't even trigger skills. they're mostly weapons for stats-based/passive skills builds that rely on ranged attacks.

however, there's another magic sword thatĀ could be used too:Ā Leo's iceblade. with that you could deal magic damage and trigger skills as well, the only downsides would be that it's a melee weapon( so no safe kiting ) and it debuffs the user after battle.

otherwise, he can do just fine with other physical swords as well. however, if you plan to go on with Astra, i'd suggest using aĀ Killing Edge, sinceĀ Brave Swords are more suited forĀ builds that rely on Luna/Aether for damage.

Thanks for the tips.

After swordmaster, would you go for MoA or directly into paladin/GK? I'll use all the good swords I put my hands over, he reckt havock with the killing edge for sure (Astra is OP with crit). I don't know if seal strength is really a must or just a convenience since I didn't go past chapter 18 or 19 in Rev. Sure it's practical, but wouldn't someone like Hinata be a better user of seals since he rarely doubles and he can take a physical hit? MoA>blacksmith, maybe A+ subaki for each one to get the other's class skills before blacksmith? I have gold DLC so I can farm for seals as much as I want.

By the way, do you know adresses of easily beatable my castles with good skills? I'd like to farm some skills for my units before endgame some time, and most castles I see are really too high level they would decimate my army with 1 unit even when I'm around chapter 17 or so...

12 hours ago, mangasdeouf said:

After swordmaster, would you go for MoA or directly into paladin/GK? I'll use all the good swords I put my hands over, he reckt havock with the killing edge for sure (Astra is OP with crit).

it pretty much depends on two things: how you like to play, and then wich classes are better suited for your playstyle.

Ā 

i can't say much about MoAs, since i never used them much except for getting few extra skills when i felt like doing so, but for Paladins and GKs the choice is quite simple:

- Paladins are more suited to be eitherĀ anti-mage units(even though Pegasus Knights usually areĀ better for that role in terms of RES and SPD), or anti-armor unitsĀ when played with magic weapons, since armored classes usually have low RES and Avoid/Evasion chances.

considering that they have overall balanced STR/MAG stats,Ā excel in SPD/RES,Ā and that they have skills based on defense from ranged attacks, the 2nd option would suit their class better, since that way they not only becomeĀ able to kite melee enemies from the distance and stay safe, but they alsoĀ get the chance to counter ranged units too.

the only issue is the lack of active skills being triggered when usingĀ Levin swords/Bolt spears, and that it requires a build based mainly on passive skills and/or stats boosters in order to work properly, unless you manage to get some rare magic sword like Leo's. otherwise, other physical Nohrian swords work fine as well to fight against ranged units(in caseĀ you prefer to rely on skill procs).

- GKs are stronger in terms of STR and DEF compared to Paladins, wich makes them a better meleeĀ tank by default when it's about absorbing physical damage.

with Luna and Brave weapons they can pretty much destroy anything that gets in their range of action, and their available weapon types give them a good advantage against other melee classes when it comes to weapon triangle, especially if we also include Armored Blow.

they're more versatile in terms of skill builds and weapons, however they suffer from lower RES and SPD compared to Paladins, making them weaker against magic users. they're more suited as mobile damage dealers/hybrid tanks.

Ā 

since from what i understood you plan to rely on Astra, i'd say a Paladin withĀ Killing Edge would be the best option due to better SKL. otherwise, if you won't like the RNG aspect of Astra anymore, a GK with Luna and Brave weapons will always haveĀ better sustained damage.

I don't know if seal strength is really a must or just a convenience since I didn't go past chapter 18 or 19 in Rev. Sure it's practical, but wouldn't someone like Hinata be a better user of seals since he rarely doubles and he can take a physical hit? MoA>blacksmith, maybe A+ subaki for each one to get the other's class skills before blacksmith? I have gold DLC so I can farm for seals as much as I want.

it depends on how strong Jacob will become. if you can kill enemies in one round of battle, you won't need Seal Strength.

usually all kinds of Sealing skills are better suited for tank classes, since their main role is to block paths/shield allies in order to take damage in their place, rather than dealing it.

"Life and Death",Ā on the other hand, does make the difference when it comes to damage output(Astra will become a machine gun by all means), and its negative effectĀ should eventually be rebalancedĀ by Armored Blow from GKs when you start battles against other physical classes. it has a good sinergy with Vantage too, since you would always get to attack first with increased damage after you get lower than 50% HP.

By the way, do you know adresses of easily beatable my castles with good skills? I'd like to farm some skills for my units before endgame some time, and most castles I see are really too high level they would decimate my army with 1 unit even when I'm around chapter 17 or so...

can't say for NA since i'm from EU, but usually there should be plenty of Castles willing to give out skills for free if you check their infos and descriptions. you could eventually try battles with level handicap in order to balance things a bit, but if they're stacked with skills too much, it would be wise to just skip the castle andĀ look elsewhere in order to save time(and patience).

Edited by Fenreir

Thanks. BTW, I'm from EU too, look at my description under my picture.

Gonna try Silas MU (silas VoF) with lodestar, samurai, hero and master ninja or mechanist and their daughter with Asugi (no choice since MU is a samurai as her reclass option) for ninja.

too many units to try, build and send to destroy anything before ennemies start to deal 40 damage in normal mode around chapter 16 of BR. Playing BR on hard mode for now, easy access to the parents.