Rank the students (pre launch thread)

Lorenz is so weird to me. I should like him. He's like a diet Virion (who is himself a diet Bastian). I like Virion, and Bastian is my favorite FE character of all time. But I think with his basic, out of place artwork, he lost the charm of the other two characters, and you're left with a dweeb.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that is making me unironically love Lorenz is that his bio mentioned he understands the importance of his role as a noble. This makes me think of a character who on the side will be trying to woo girls and boasting his impressive feats, but he actually realises how unattractive and incompetent he is to others(Claude) and it starts to way him down. Then as his teacher you try to help him out and mold him into a more confident and more likeable person(Evidenced, by him asking F!Byleth for help in girls and if he is simply never going to find a girl for him). Plus it would be awesome to see him actually take conflicts seriously and genuinely try to help out Claude when planning a battle strategy. He has all the right signs of one of my possible favourite characters from this game and I really hope he is more serious and grounded than just Virion2.0 (But not attractive)

Tops: Claude, Ashe, Hubert Hilda, Mercedes. 

-Claude very easily stood out to be as the star of the lord trio. His design was the most exotic and personable. His status as the only one of the three that's not royalty could get interesting. I feel he can be the Hector in the trio, the more casual lord who's dismissed as a little dumb but who's much brighter then people realized. 

-Ashe is the new Azelle and that's a very, very strong point in his favor.

-Hubert: I've grown into a fan of the dark strategist who's definitely completely evil....but actually isn't. And if Hubert does turn out to be evil I'm a fan of villains too! I doubt this character can go wrong for me. 

-Hilda: Hilda is the new Serra and that's a very, very strong point in her favor.

As far as appearances go Mercedes very easily comes out on top for the girls. Interesting backstory too. And she's named after a car.

Good: Edlegard, Mercedes, Lysithea Casper, Dorethea, Bernadetta.

-So far I've seen nothing to make me doubt Edlgegard and I quite like her design. On the other hand she's not quite the star Claude was. 

--Bernadetta: Just cute.

-Lysithea has a very strong design. She might be a bit too rickeny but I hope being a female and some possible additional traits stops her from being too Hayato-ie.

-Casper has JUSTICE on his side. Also a cool design. His status as a noble who's clearly not the heir could be interesting, especially if the real heir ends up on the other side. 

-And Dorethea has a hat!

Average: Felix, Dedue, Ferdinant, Petra Ferdinant. 

I guess Ferdinant can have an interesting relation with Edlegard since he's the son of the prime minister and she's the daughter of the emperor. I generally don't have strong feelings for or against these characters. 

Somewhat skeptical: Dimitri, Raphael 

Dimitri instantly struck me as a new Leo. He can prove me wrong but if he doesn't I'd find him quite boring. We already had a grumpy blonde teenage prince. His design isn't nearly as interesting as Claude or Edlegard either. This can change. I easily dismissed Takumi as inferior to Leo by a vast amount before he became my favorite Fates character. 

Raphael is bestboy but he seems very likely to be more gimmick then character. Its not a particularly interesting gimmick either. I hope he proves me wrong. 

Dislike: Lorenz

This character doesn't work for me. Mainly I just dislike his design. His face has a very weird shape and I don't like his hairs. I don't think the design really works well for his archetype either. Aside from my subjective dislike of his design Lorenz is very conventional looking character. He's not so ugly that it drive the girls away nor is he so handsome it gives him an attitude that ends up driving the girls off. He's just a weird looking character with a gimmick we've already seen. Meh. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I noticed most people put Ignace really low. 

Um....why? I don't believe we heard anything about him so there's no off putting info on him either. And his design seems...okay?

Personally, his hair looks awful to me. With limited else to go on, it's the only basis for my ranking. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Um....why? I don't believe we heard anything about him so there's no off putting info on him either. And his design seems...okay?

His design is not my cup of tea.

But it may change if he has a great personality .

Yay this should be fun, I think I like almost everyone tbh.

S Tier:

-Edelgard: I really do find her interesting, maybe mostly becasue of the main theme lyrics (which I believe to be from her point of view), but I also think she's going to be the serious, butstill has a kind heart type of gal, which I like. I also like that she doesn't seem like she's going to be....edgy? I know that's a bit of a weird point to bring up, and maybe it just has something to do with the game I've been playing lately, but I'm sorta OVER edgy female leads.

-Ashe: I would take a bullet and die for Ashe. And no, I'm not being dramatic. 

-Hilda: As a huge Serra fan, I can't be any happier when I think about this character. I already know that I would be making her a healer, even if she's not good at that class, I won't care.

-Mercedes: What an angel....I loved the little bits we got from her backstory, made me very interested in knowing more about her. Also I love her design, and yeah something about her just WORKS for me? 

A Tier:

-Dimitri: At first he was my least favorite of the lord trio, but he grew on me a lot? Maybe some of the leaks have something to do with it, but I have a feeling I'm really going to like him. 

-Caspar: Mr. Justice over here, he seem fun, honestly I've been keeping an eye out for him ever since like...the second trailer? Him also being like Aki from Persona 3 only makes me love that much more tbh.

-Ferdinand: I can't wait for the rivalry between him and Edelgard lol, even if it was only one sided on his part. I really hope we go more into the reasons behind that though, can see it leading to something really good story wise for his character.

-Dorothea: I like her as well. Her backstory could lead to some fun events in this game for sure.

-Hubert: I know some people think he's going to be evil, but I disagree. Maybe he's evil to everyone that stands in Edelgard's way, but other than that....he's a sweetie on the inside, calling it now : P

B Tier:

-Bernadetta: I'm not a fan of the overly shy character trope, but I hope they do something more with Bernadetta, becasue I do like her design.

-Claude: Maybe a bit too low? IDK, maybe the reason I'm putting him this low is becasue unlike with Dimitri and Edelgard, I can already see how some of his story would go. At first he's going to warn us about how we shouldn't trust him, then betray us for whatever reason, and after that he would do something and become the good guy again. I hope it ends up being different...but I can already see this happening lol '/ which makes me less excited for him. 

-Raphael: He's a sweetheart, nothing more to say really. Although the story about how his parents die could be sad, but we still don't know much about that.

Lysithea: She reminds me of Lute, which is a good thing. Also the leaker really hyped her up...so we shall see how she turns out I guess.

C Tier: 

-Dedue: Not much to say about him....but I can see him having an interesting story for some reason, but sadly we know very little about him from his bio.

-Felix: Nothing really about him stands out to me lol V_V But I can see myself liking him more once the game is out.

D Tier:  

-Lorenz: Yeah...lol '/ I don't really like him, but who knows, maybe that would change once the game is out.

I hope I didn't forget anyone.

Edited by Rose482

S tier: Claude, Edelgard, Ingrid, Petra, Dedue

A tier: Mercedes, Hilda (only because she's a Serra copy, if Serra didn't already exist she'd be S), Ashe, Marianne, Felix

B tier: Dimitri, Caspar, Lysithea, Leonie, Hubert, Linhardt

F tier: everyone else

I mean, I kinda am ok with Ignace's design, super surprising to just see him so low on everyone's list

Edited by fiver

I cannot rank the students just yet. I've been burned too many times in the past thinking a character was going to turn out great but ends up falling woefully short. 

Lorenz's creepy haircut aside, I think every character we've seen looks just fine.  

However, I must speak my mind about Caspar and Bernadetta. I think that I can safely predict that the two of them will end up being the worst characters of the bunch based on what we've seen from their Twitter bios. Caspar is an expy of your typical 'run-off-the-mill' Shounen anime protagonist who will end up chewing the scenery with tired Shounen cliches. "I'm going to train hard and get stronger!" "I'll never give up!" "Justice will prevail!" Ugh. 

Bernadetta is less offensive to me than Caspar, however, the pathologically shy wallflower girl is another tired anime trope I don't prefer.  

Who knows? Maybe I'll may eat crow and Caspar and Bernadetta will surprise me, but I highly doubt that. 

Ooh… this looks fun.

S Tier

Lysithea- It’s hard to describe why I like this character. She’s a prodigy, but not conceited? Awesome.

Petra- A character we know almost nothing about, but what I’ve seen of her, I love.

Claude- Whimsical, but serious? Awesome.

A Tier

Hubert- Goodness, use some conditioner, Severus! But I like the idea of a quiet, calculating character who still values honor.

Dedue- I like what we know so far.

Dorothea- I’m actually fully prepared to end up being disappointed in this character. But at this point, all you need is a pageboy cap to get my attention.

Raphael- I’m in the minority on this one, aren’t I? He reminds me a bit of Benny, who was one of my favorites in Fates. Also of Brom… who I wasn’t as huge a fan of, but that’s still not a bad thing.

Bernadetta- I’m not a huge fan of shrinking violets, but she’s been growing on me.

Felix- Basically a kuudere… I think? (sorry for the anime speak) I look forward to finding out what secrets he’s hiding.

B Tier

Edelgard- At first, she seemed to me to be the main female character whose only purpose in the story is to serve as the main female character. I felt that I was expected to like her for no particular reason other than the fact that she’s the lone female lord. And… I still think that. But, she’s supposedly also a cunning thinker who might even have a ruthless side, which is definitely intriguing.

Dimtri- Comes across as straight-laced and stiff, which isn’t very interesting, though we have reason to expect there’s more, which is good. Really I think how much I like him will depend on how charismatic he is. In other words, right now I see him as Cyclops, but I can imagine him turning out to be Captain America… if that makes sense.

Ashe- this poor guy actually dropped in my rankings. I like him, but then I realized that he’s basically (for now, at least) just a hardworking everyman without much to distinguish him.

C Tier (neutral)

Caspar- I want to like the guy, and I like that he apparently has a strong sense of justice; I’m just waiting for more info on him.

Hilda- I also want to like her, but I don’t know how the ‘spoiled’ part of her character is going to work for me.

Mercedes- So she’s the ‘the nice girl,’ which is great, but I’m waiting for there to be a little more about her.

D Tier

Sylvain- I know nothing of this dude except his hair. I do not like his hair.

Ferdinand- I’m expecting him to be more annoying than anything else.

F Tier

Lorenz- I’m not a fan of snobby, constantly chasing women archetype.

The fact that most my my comments refer to hair and hats shows how little we really know at this point.

Deciding to color-code by house after I finished ranking them just to see how it would turn out… pretty evenly, though Blue Lions are clearly behind. Two of my favorites are in Golden Deer, but so is by least favorite… huh. Good thing we can bench people. Or I guess I could purposely kill him in battle, but I don’t hate Lorenz that much.

On 6/3/2019 at 4:16 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I didn’t even include him because of how little we know about him. But I can really imagine him being Ricken 2.0, who I wasn’t a fan of to begin with. But I am hoping he’ll be a little more unique. I can also see him ended up as the ‘reasonable smart guy who nobody listens to.’ Probably not, but I can hope.

22 hours ago, Leif said:

However, I must speak my mind about Caspar and Bernadetta. I think that I can safely predict that the two of them will end up being the worst characters of the bunch based on what we've seen from their Twitter bios. Caspar is an expy of your typical 'run-off-the-mill' Shounen anime protagonist who will end up chewing the scenery with tired Shounen cliches. "I'm going to train hard and get stronger!" "I'll never give up!" "Justice will prevail!" Ugh.

And this fear right here is why I put Caspar in my neutral tier. I want him to be better than that, but I think he’s going to end up just like you’re describing.

Edited by GreyJedi

S tier (great design, personality and voice acting)- Petra, Dedue, Bernadetta, Caspar (bonus point for looking cool wielding knuckles)

A tier- The three lords, Dorothea, Ferdinand, Ashe, Mercedes, Felix, Sylvain, Raphael

B tier (Looks good but just not to my liking)- Everyone else except Leonie and Lorenz.

C tier aka reason why I am choosing Golden Deer last- Leonie and Lorenz. Something about them just irks me. 

I'll go ahead and use OP's ranking tiers:

S Tier  

(Overwhelmingly positive bias)

Edelgard

Claude

Dimitri

A Tier

(Strong positive bias)

Felix

Ashe

Ingrid

Lorenz (Lorenz isn't ugly you guys are just mean)

Leonie

Marianne

Ferdinand

B Tier 

(Positive bias)

Mercedes

Linhardt

Lycithea

Sylvain

Dedue

Dorothea

C Tier

(No bias)

Petra

Hubert

Caspar

Hilda

D Tier

(Negative bias)

Bernadetta (her godawful voice really ended up knocking her down a few tiers. Otherwise would be B or A tier.)

Annette

Raphael 

Ignace

F Tier

(Strongly negative bias)

No one looks or sounds bad enough to be in this tier for me yet.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that this list will change drastically once the game actually releases. Still, this was fun to do.

Edited by Talcinel

So after Annette's profile reveal I shall be moving her from C to A tier. That voice actor was just too adorable and she seems like a really sweet girl. Blue Lions just keep hitting it for me.

I'm still pretty neutral about most of them and I'm sure some will surprise me and grow on me, but for the moment I'd say :

S Tier :

Edelgard : When I saw her I fell in love instantly. I have a soft spot for women who look cool with axes. (Titania forever)
Felix : He reminds me of Lon'qu ! He'll be my handsome looking sword boi
Claude : What can I say ? Best bo
Leonie : She reminds me of a ghibli character somehow ! I already love her.

A Tier :

Petra looks cool and pretty, I'll wait for more information
Dimitri : I really like him and I'm interested in his story, but I can't unseen the spaghetti hair
Mercedes : She's so soft and gentle ;_;
Lysithea : A genius but not annoying ?! Yay !
Marianne : I'm very intrigued by her, I can't wait for her bio.

For the other I've not much to say about them, I'm just waiting xD

Edited by Clathy

Since others are giving reasons, I decided to repost my ranking with descriptions. Color coding, because I love that idea from whoever did that. 

S Tier:

Leonie: I mostly just love her aesthetics, personally. I love her short hair and orange hair color, as well as just... the general attitude I’m getting off her. I love her student outfit -I don’t care much about almost any other student’s- , with the gloves, rolled up sleeves, and jacket wrapped around waist. Also a fan of her wielding both a bow and lance.  Absolutely my favorite student in Golden Deer by a long shot, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. 

Petra: As we don’t have much on her yet, I just really like her design. Her tattoo appeals to me, and so does her hairstyle. 

Dedue: He looks cool, and I love how he’s beefy without it being over the top. His earring looks cool, and I love his loyal personality. His skill is great for those moments when you bait an opponent into attacking you so his health is low enough to kill him on your turn. A move I frequently use.  

Felix: I like Felix’s hairstyle and his pre-established connection to Dimitri. I also like skilled sword-fighter type characters on the whole, so that works for me. I like the idea of actually benefitting from not pairing him up, or giving him reinforcements as well, since I’m not much of a fan of the whole troops thing. 

A Tier:

Ashe: I love Ashe! I like his hairstyle, and he’s adorable. His backstory is endearing, and I look forward to using his skill as often as possible. 

Sylvain: I’m a fan of fiery characters, and he looks like he’ll fit one perfectly with that haircut. I also have a weakness for red and orange hair colors. 

Claude: I like Claude’s casual outside masking an analytical inside. He’s the most attractive of the three lords to me as well. 

B Tier: 

Dorothea: She’s cute, and I like her hat. It is a bit out of place, but it somehow doesn’t break the immersion for me. I like her looking up to Manuela as well, since it creates an in-universe connection already. I also like both her singing background and skill. I think both will be incredibly useful. 

Ferdinand: I’m generally a sucker for red and orange-haired characters, so there is bias here. I also like his whole rivalry deal as well, and his role as chancellor. Skill wasn’t incredibly useful when I used Subaki, but we’ll see. 

Bernadette: I think she’s adorable, and I like her bookish reserved nature. Also, Paranoid sounds like a great skill

Dimitri: I love Dimirti’s chivalrous personality, and the whole shadow bit. I also love non-heavily armored lance users, so he’s just great. The only thing keeping him from being A-Tier -or even S- on this list is the hair. 

Annette: I find her fairly adorable, and I find her background endearing. Otherwise pretty neutral.  

Lysithea: Her whole prodigy thing is pretty interesting, but it’s about all that bumps her above C for me. Her skill should make her fairly versatile, which is also going to be really nice. 

C Tier:

Edelgard: She seems cool, and I like her outfit, but I’m not much a fan of calculating stone-faced characters. Until I get a more distinct sense of her personality, this is where she’s staying. 

Linhardt: Mostly here because he seems neutral to me. I don’t particularly like or dislike him. 

Mercedes: She’s pretty, and her backstory of being a commoner who was once a noble. That said her whole kind and motherly seeming demeanor is fairly meh to me. Not my style. I do like her skill, though. 

Ingrid: She’s reasonably attractive, but still neutral to me. 

Hilda: I love her hair and the fact that she reminds me of Serra, but I don’t like her personality as much. It’s probably just that I don’t like the personality in general and Serra is just nostalgia from when I did, but eh. Useful skill, even if the basis for it isn’t particularly to my liking. 

D Tier:

Hubert: He looks creepy. I don’t like his hairstyle, I don’t like his eyes, and I don’t like people with a “victory at any cost” mentality. Neutral on his skill. I don’t know how important gambits will be, nor how often I’ll use them. 

Caspar: I hate his hairstyle, and I didn’t like the over-the-top hero personality in either Arthur or his son. Unless I find he’s more subdued than either of those, he’s where he sits. 

F Tier:

Lorenz: I’m not a fan of snobby characters. His whole look screams it to me, and I hate his hairstyle. I’m not much a fan of the whole troop system, so his skill is pretty negative to me as well. Also don’t noble characters who repeatedly try and fail to court women amusing either. 

Raphael: I don’t like his rounded face, and I don’t like how his shirt looks like it’s ready to pop off. He feels too big for me, and his double-minded nature is one I don’t like either. Not an awful skill, but unless his luck is pretty high seems inconsistent. Also... The implications of it being him just finding food randomly on the battlefield is... Ech. 

Ignace: I just... personally really don’t like his(?) whole look. Especially the hair. May change once there’s more info. 

??? Tier: 

Marianne: Given out only shot of her is inside a diamond shaped picture, I don’t really even have a good image to work off of.

S

Dimitri: The Bae~ He´s like a mix of Leo (my fav FE Character) and Camus (my fav Utapri Character) so that´s already perfect for me. I was going Blue Lions since day 1 just because of him and he´s getting more interesting the more I learn about him.

Felix: He hits all my weakspots in the design-department. I love the hair, the face looks awesome and his character is also up my alley. Serious yet sarcastic and arrogant? Count me in! (Being childhoodfriends with Dimitri is also a big plus for me.)

M!Byleth: Absolutely love that design, especially that he just looks so done with everything and everyone. I like the reddish/pink highlights in the otherwise dark design.

A

Ferdinand: Really nice design, character can be interesting if he´s not to focused on his rivalry with Edelgard. (Please let there be S-Supports, I want to make him date Edel 😉 )

Sylvain: I wasn´t too much of a fan at first, but he´s really growing on me. I hope he gets his profile next week.

Ingrid: Nice design, I want to know more about her.

Petra: Nice design, I want to know more, I love the hair.

Edelgard: Also a really nice design. She doesn´t seem to be another Celica/Eirika/Micaiah type which is a very welcome change for me.

Linhardt: Nice, elegant design + he seems snobby. I can´t wait to get his profile.

Marianne: So far her design looks pretty good.

F!Byleth: I actually like her design. She seems like a tough mercenary which is pretty cool.

Dorothea: Good design, I like her profile.

Lysithea: Her design looks good but I didn´t expect her to be that young. I hope she´s more like Cordelia than Hayato or Ricken, so I´m a bit sceptical.

Ashe: He´s growing on me a lot as well, his design is rather cute.

B

Claude: I think he has a nice design overall but there just some things I don´t like, like his hairstyle, his earring and the eyebrows. (Though his character seems intriguing.)

Lorentz: I kinda have a soft spot for him for whatever reason...I want to know more about him

Mercedes: Character looks interesting so far, design not as much.

Hilda: Like the design, characterwise she looks okay so far, i hope she‘s rather cunning than just spoilt.

Leonie: Her design looks good, she gives me tomboyish vibes, maybe a softer Sully?

Bernadetta: Good Design, could be a interesting character.

Hubert: Like the design overall, especially the hair. Characterwise he´s interesting so far.

Anette: I´m not really a fan of "cute" characters so she´s not doing much for me personally. Her character is also not giving her any favors.

Dedue: He seems interesting characterwise, but I‘m not too hot on his design.

C

Ignaz: I don´t like his hair and the round glasses. His character sounds nice tho and his face looks rather pretty, he´s growing on me a bit.

Raphael: I´m not a fan of his design and his character could be interesting if they don´t turn him into a joke character.

D

Caspar: Caspar, meet bench. He already annoys me, I can´t stand loud, "rightous" characters like him and his design is also not to my taste.

Edited by Iria

4 hours ago, Iria said:

S

Dimitri: The Bae~ He´s like a mix of Leo (my fav FE Character) and Camus (my fav Utapri Character) so that´s already perfect for me. I was going Blue Lions since day 1 just because of him and he´s getting more interesting the more I learn about him.

Felix: He hits all my weakspots in the design-department. I love the hair, the face looks awesome and his character is also up my alley. Serious yet sarcastic and arrogant? Count me in! (Being childhoodfriends with Dimitri is also a big plus for me.)

M!Byleth: Absolutely love that design, especially that he just looks so done with everything and everyone. I like the reddish/pink highlights in the otherwise dark design.

A

Ferdinand: Really nice design, character can be interesting if he´s not to focused on his rivalry with Edelgard. (Please let there be S-Supports, I want to make him date Edel 😉 )

Sylvain: I wasn´t too much of a fan at first, but he´s really growing on me. I hope he gets his profile next week.

Ingrid: Nice design, I want to know more about her.

Petra: Nice design, I want to know more, I love the hair.

Edelgard: Also a really nice design. She doesn´t seem to be another Celica/Eirika/Micaiah type which is a very welcome change for me.

Linhardt: Nice, elegant design + he seems snobby. I can´t wait to get his profile.

Marianne: So far her design looks pretty good.

F!Byleth: I actually like her design. She seems like a tough mercenary which is pretty cool.

Dorothea: Good design, I like her profile.

Lysithea: Her design looks good but I didn´t expect her to be that young. I hope she´s more like Cordelia than Hayato or Ricken, so I´m a bit sceptical.

Ashe: He´s growing on me a lot as well, his design is rather cute.

B

Claude: I think he has a nice design overall but there just some things I don´t like, like his hairstyle, his earring and the eyebrows. (Though his character seems intriguing.)

Lorentz: I kinda have a soft spot for him for whatever reason...I want to know more about him

Mercedes: Character looks interesting so far, design not as much.

Leonie: Her design looks good, she gives me tomboyish vibes, maybe a softer Sully?

Bernadetta: Good Design, could be a interesting character.

Hubert: Like the design overall, especially the hair. Characterwise he´s interesting so far.

Anette: I´m not really a fan of "cute" characters so she´s not doing much for me personally. Her character is also not giving her any favors.

C

Ignaz: I don´t like his hair and the round glasses. His character sounds nice tho and his face looks rather pretty, he´s growing on me a bit.

Raphael: I´m not a fan of his design and his character could be interesting if they don´t turn him into a joke character.

D

Caspar: Caspar, meet bench. He already annoys me, I can´t stand loud, "rightous" characters like him and his design is also not to my taste.

Missed Dedue.