A gaming disorder survey

Rapier

https://do-i-play-too-much-videogames.com/survey/wznn9s7zcy7r/8yr8wul6lop4

Found this gaming disorder survey while checking out PCGamer. While the disorder is still being debated on credibility, and this survey is still experimental, I found it interesting to check it out.

I got a 16/20 score, although it's far from a "real" diagnosis given by a professional. There are some things I found questionable in the diagnosis,  however:

My results:

Spoiler

image.png.6a018b9418fb4f8b1d66df4eb8d826dc.png

image.png.50709f13182a99f1b800669a30bffc91.png

- It narrows down competitiveness to competitive online gaming

Why can't one compete with themselves, using the game's own difficulty and self-imposed challenges as their prefered way to "compete"? I'm much more included in that group than in the group of players who like to compete online, yet it's what "competitive gaming" is considered by the survey.

- Fantasy motivation isn't the same as wanting to live in the character's shoes and world

I enjoy fantasy worlds a lot, and games are a good medium for that. It doesn't mean I want to forfeit reality for whichever world it is, however. Maybe I'm just intrigued and interested on the characters and the worlds they live in, instead of trying to find escape from real life.

I don't read the ASOIAF books because I wish to live in Westeros and I wish I had a dragon - I read them because Westeros is fascinating, and so are the fantastic elements from the universe (along other reasons). I approach games in the same way.

- I'm not driven by social motivation, and I rarely interact in online games. Why the hell did the survey think I do? I must suck at answering these questions.

Anyway, that's it. Feel free to share your results and discuss about the subject.

Edited by Rapier

This was pretty interesting to take!

My results:

Spoiler

temp.png.1ecd8c30ca3937561960bc4e3e374f19.pngtemp.thumb.png.a07c0f0defd729402b1e19e9c9649c1d.png

I do feel like it's rather inaccurate when it comes to the disorder itself, mostly because of how high it ranked me on the scale (17/20).... despite me maybe playing 12 hours a week? I'm surprised it even gave me a 4 on competition based on my answers. Otherwise, I really can't complain too much about how it ranked me.

It definitely got the social and escape motivations down, at least, haha. I have a lot of trouble with things like tone of voice, body language, etc, so it's very hard for me to interact with most others "normally" IRL. Online gives me a lot less to worry about at once! I don't necessarily think that makes me more prone to a gaming disorder though, especially when I tend to play offline.

It's definitely a good start for a survey, it just needs to iron out some things before it can be a bit more accurate. Obviously it'll never replace a professional, but there's a lot of room for improvement still.

19 minutes ago, Blattodea said:

I do feel like it's rather inaccurate when it comes to the disorder itself, mostly because of how high it ranked me on the scale (17/20).... despite me maybe playing 12 hours a week? I'm surprised it even gave me a 4 on competition based on my answers. Otherwise, I really can't complain too much about how it ranked me.

I think it's more about the engagement with playing games than with the time you actually have to play them, which... is understandable, especially if you work or college consumes a lot of your time. Your vacancy from playing video games wouldn't come from a disengagement, but because something else forces you to be away from it.

I got 14/20

I feel like I might have confused the survery, since I transitioned from being a mostly singleplayer gamer to mostly multiplayer gamer (according to my own standard) while also playing more of each than most other.

I feel like I had a lot lower conscientussness score than I should have, there weren't really any questions about feeling worried FOR OThers, which I do a hell of a lot more than for myself.

I don't really get the movement to "medicalize" gaming, but I do remember that when I took a class on Budhism back I college that at one point we brought up how in terms of forming worldly attachments, movies and tv area are on the same level as drugs and alcholol. I would apply that to games too if I was still there trying to come up with a topic for midterm lol. 

Your value 12/20

Social motivation 12/20 - You are mostly a social gamer. You like the pleasure of getting to know people, being with others, and playing together with other fellow gamers.

Escape motivation 20/20 - You are the type of gamer that enjoys being immersed in an alternative and fun reality. You enjoy this aspect because it makes you forget what is going on around you in real life.

Competition motivation 12/20 - You are the type of gamer that loves the adrenaline of competition. This means you take competition within games very seriously. You probably enjoy some player vs. player as it allows you to compete with other gamers and defeat them, so you can feel a sense of achievement.

Coping motivation 20/20 - You are the type of gamer that enjoys the powerful way in which gaming helps you cope with life in general. For you gaming is like a remedy because it allows you to better manage your emotions and mood. As a consequence, you probably play to feel better about yourself.

Skill development motivation 18/20 - You are the type of gamer that enjoys developing your own skills. For you, gaming is like a tool that helps you to improve yourself. You enjoy how gaming helps you to improve your coordination, concentration and other skills.

Fantasy motivation 20/20 - You are the type of gamer that enjoys stepping out of your usual identity. You like trying new identities in a different fantasy world and trying things that you cannot do in real life. You may enjoy playing role-playing games as these games allow you to achieve this.

Recreation motivation 15/15 - You are the type of gamer that simply enjoy how gaming can be a powerful tool for killing boredom. You probably play because you like to be entertained, so you enjoy a lot of recreation offered by games.

Feels mostly accurate to me, I mainly play games to escape reality. My life is boring as all hell.

Edited by Bloom

I think it gives out the same text no matter what you put down, my numbers were really low but the text says the same thing as those of you with drastically different numbers

• Social: 6/20
  • Escape: 5/20
  • Competition: 5/20
  • Coping: 7/20
  • Skill Development: 5/20
  • Fantasy: 6/20
  • Recreation: 14/15

Completed it. My results:

• Social: 5/20
  • Escape: 8/20
  • Competition: 10/20
  • Coping: 9/20
  • Skill Development: 16/20
  • Fantasy: 7/20
  • Recreation: 14/20

Also did the personality thing, although I'd like to think on that a bit more on before deciding whether or not to post that.

Overall, a solid test, although the decision of what kind of "agree/disagree/neutral" template seems to be odd at points. Nothing that brings the test down or anything, I just found it strange at points.

I also think that some of the questions dealt with things that weren't entirely related to video games, or could be dependent on ones current situation. Like, the bad sleeping habits that I've been having for over a year now came about more by abusing a lax college schedule I had for one semester than by being addicted to videogames, although the latter most certainly didn't help. And being a little frank, I'm still recovering from several months of the most busy college semester I've ever had while at the same time confronting personal issues that I had been previously ignoring for years. While I answered honestly in this quiz, I also felt that I would have answered differently a year earlier. I know that's a lot to ask of a simple quiz to account for things like that, but those kind of thoughts ran through my head while I took this, and I doubt that I was the only one to do so. That's all.

I got 10/20

Was pretty surprised when I looked at it and saw that 80% of participants had a lower score than I did. Now I'm actually curious who their target audience was and where it was distributed.

As for my other scores:
Social: 7/20

Escape (The Pina Colada Song): 8/20

Competition: 9/20 (I'm noticing a pattern here)

Coping: 12/20 (dang it)

Skill development: 8/20

Fantasy: 7/20

Recreation: 13/15

As for the personality bit, nothing really surprising, though I did notice that my scores in every area were lower than the averages given. I guess that means I'm boring compared to the rest of the sample, so hooray. I'm pretty bad at answering personality questions, though, because my sense of self-identification is kind of inconsistent from moment to moment.

Overall, a pretty interesting survey. I heard about gaming disorder becoming classified as a diagnosable illness, but didn't really look into it too much. Now that I've actually filled out the survey, I'll probably take a closer look at the disorder, because I find that kind of stuff fascinating. So thanks for posting this.

I did...good? Got a 6/20 and only 45% got lower.

Social motivation 11/20

Escape motivation 14/20

Competition motivation 8/20

Coping motivation 10/20

Skill development motivation 6/20

Fantasy motivation 15/20

Recreation motivation 10/15

I used to play games a bit more for competitive reasons when I was younger but the online toxicity in games really burned me out of that. I'm also generally not that great in most genres and would got my ass whooped in most games.

7 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Was pretty surprised when I looked at it and saw that 80% of participants had a lower score than I did. Now I'm actually curious who their target audience was and where it was distributed.

It always says that. They either fucked up with the algorithm for showing the result texts (which is the same even for people who scored low), or they only have a result text for every possible result. I think it's the later.

Gaming Disorder Scale
Your value 7/20
26 % of the participants have a lower score than you. 102190 persons have already participated in this study.

Gaming Motives

The higher the scores on each of the following dimensions, the more true is the explanation of each respected scale with respect to your gaming motivation.

Social motivation 8/20 You are mostly a social gamer. You like the pleasure of getting to know people, being with others, and playing together with other fellow gamers.

Escape motivation 6/20 You are the type of gamer that enjoys being immersed in an alternative and fun reality. You enjoy this aspect because it makes you forget what is going on around you in real life.

Competition motivation 11/20 You are the type of gamer that loves the adrenaline of competition. This means you take competition within games very seriously. You probably enjoy some player vs. player as it allows you to compete with other gamers and defeat them, so you can feel a sense of achievement.

Coping motivation 12/20 You are the type of gamer that enjoys the powerful way in which gaming helps you cope with life in general. For you gaming is like a remedy because it allows you to better manage your emotions and mood. As a consequence, you probably play to feel better about yourself.

Skill development motivation 15/20 You are the type of gamer that enjoys developing your own skills. For you, gaming is like a tool that helps you to improve yourself. You enjoy how gaming helps you to improve your coordination, concentration and other skills.

Fantasy motivation 16/20 You are the type of gamer that enjoys stepping out of your usual identity. You like trying new identities in a different fantasy world and trying things that you cannot do in real life. You may enjoy playing role-playing games as these games allow you to achieve this.

Recreation motivation 15/15 You are the type of gamer that simply enjoy how gaming can be a powerful tool for killing boredom. You probably play because you like to be entertained, so you enjoy a lot of recreation offered by games.

Personality

Openness to experience 37/50 Openness reflects the degree of intellectual curiosity, creativity and a preference for novelty and variety a person has. It is also described as the extent to which a person is imaginative or independent, and depicts a personal preference for a variety of activities over a strict routine.

Agreeableness 24/45 Individuals scoring high in agreeableness have a tendency to be compassionate and cooperative towards others. They are good team players, they like to trust others and tend to be generous to others.

Emotional stability 30/40 Emotionally stable individuals tend to not experience unpleasant emotions easily, such as anger, anxiety and depression. They don´t worry that much about the future.

Conscientiousness 19/45 Conscientious individuals tend to be reliable, have a good self-discipline, are self-organised, competent, aim for achievement, and prefer planned rather than spontaneous behaviour.

Extroversion 38/40 Extroverts tend to be sociable, talkative, seek stimulation in the company of others, are active, assertive and more willing to take risks.