Changing Mandatory Units

The Black Pot

I am currently putting together my first hack, a complete edition of FE7. Essentially, it ties all of the route splits together, so you get stuff like both Hector and Eliwood's versions of chapter 11 and both Pale Flower of Darkness chapters, letting you get all the characters and situations (with some script tweaks to maintain cohesion). One of the last things I have yet to implement is having the player go through Valorous Roland, the chapter where Eliwood gets Durandal, right after The Berserker, where Hector gets Armads. The problem is that if the playthrough is done on Hector's mode, it treats him as a mandatory unit and Eliwood as optional, meaning that it puts Hector in the hallway where Eliwood usually begins and Eliwood doesn't have to be brought at all. The reverse also occurs if doing The Berserker on Eliwood mode. Narratively this isn't obviously isn't ideal, but I haven't figured out how to change essential units flagging or placement. I would also like to add a chapter for Lyn to get her weapon, which would require having her as the mandatory character. Would anyone be able to advise me? I'm currently using FEBuilder and have Nightmare, though I don't know if there might be another program better suited for it.

Edited by The Black Pot

3 minutes ago, The Black Pot said:

I am currently putting together my first hack, a complete edition of FE7. Essentially, it ties all of the route splits together, so you get stuff like both Hector and Eliwood's versions of chapter 11 and both Pale Flower of Darkness chapters, letting you get all the characters and situations (with some script tweaks to maintain cohesion). One of the last things I have yet to implement is having the player go through Valorous Roland, the chapter where Eliwood gets Durandal, right after The Berserker, where Hector gets Armads. The problem is that if the playthrough is done on Hector's mode, it treats him as a mandatory unit and Eliwood as optional, meaning that it puts Hector in the hallway where Eliwood usually begins and Eliwood doesn't have to be brought at all. Narratively this isn't obviously isn't ideal, but I haven't figured out how to change essential units flagging or placement. I would also like to add a chapter for Lyn to get her weapon, which would require having her as the mandatory character. Would anyone be able to advise me? I'm currently using FEBuilder and have Nightmare, though I don't know if there might be another program better suited for it.

I think I might be able to help. Edit: Oh wait, sorry I re-read your post and I'll confess, I don't know how to add or alter chapters in FE Builder.

Edited by _Legault_

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, The Black Pot said:

I am currently putting together my first hack, a complete edition of FE7. Essentially, it ties all of the route splits together, so you get stuff like both Hector and Eliwood's versions of chapter 11 and both Pale Flower of Darkness chapters, letting you get all the characters and situations (with some script tweaks to maintain cohesion). One of the last things I have yet to implement is having the player go through Valorous Roland, the chapter where Eliwood gets Durandal, right after The Berserker, where Hector gets Armads. The problem is that if the playthrough is done on Hector's mode, it treats him as a mandatory unit and Eliwood as optional, meaning that it puts Hector in the hallway where Eliwood usually begins and Eliwood doesn't have to be brought at all. The reverse also occurs if doing The Berserker on Eliwood mode. Narratively this isn't obviously isn't ideal, but I haven't figured out how to change essential units flagging or placement. I would also like to add a chapter for Lyn to get her weapon, which would require having her as the mandatory character. Would anyone be able to advise me? I'm currently using FEBuilder and have Nightmare, though I don't know if there might be another program better suited for it.

Go to the advanced editors tab and choose, "forced deployment", which brings you to which characters are forced in a chapter. As far as adding chapters goes, you would have to use an existing chapter and start from there.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Go to the advanced editors tab and choose, "forced deployment", which brings you to which characters are forced in a chapter. As far as adding chapters goes, you would have to use an existing chapter and start from there.

Awesome. I did not know that.