Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Direct

Dai

I think these legendaries look really cool! @Dragoncat must be really excited since wolves are her favorite animals.

Just give me a Pegasus legendary next someday, GF! 😛

The Baltimore Ravens now have their own Pokemon. lol Corviknight. XD Looks cool though! I also like Wooloo and Glossifleur.

Edited by Anacybele

The Direct was about what i expected. Best parts of it where THE WORLD IS OPEN! Also Pokemon in the overworld which is like the one good feature from Let's GO. Don't know how to feel about Dynamax battles at the moment. It just feels like Mega Evolution but again. At least Z-Moves worked differently. ...Actually, Dynamax feels like a fusion of both.

Pour one out for the rival. Imagine your name being Hop and having a chad of an older brother named Leon. The Double Pack is interesting but at that point, why not just make it one game? Imagine paying $120 for the same game.

The website has updated, here are the typings of the new Pokémon:

• Gossifleur and Eldegloss are pure Grass
  • Wooloo is pure Normal (presumably our early game, two-stage Normal type)
  • Corviknight is Flying/Steel
  • Drednaw is Water/Rock
  • Zacian and Zamazenta don't have their types yet, which isn't unusual as we didn't get the types for the previous mascots immediately.

Thinking back on it, I liked Sun and Moon's approach of getting new information every two weeks so I hope they do that again here.

Edited by Lightchao42

Speaking of the characters, Milo looks extremely weird. It's like they took a little kid's face and put it on a body builder's body. Does not match at all. He's way too baby-faced. I don't like him.

Hooray for Juniper no longer being the only female professor though! We seriously needed more of those, women can totally be professors. Doesn't always have to be men. Give us a few more females to even out the ratio now, GF.

Oh, and Leon looks cool. He looks way better than FE Echoes Leon, that's for sure (that dude looks too feminine imo).

15 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Speaking of the characters, Milo looks extremely weird. It's like they took a little kid's face and put it on a body builder's body. Does not match at all. He's way too baby-faced. I don't like him.

Hooray for Juniper no longer being the only female professor though! We seriously needed more of those, women can totally be professors. Doesn't always have to be men. Give us a few more females to even out the ratio now, GF.

Oh, and Leon looks cool. He looks way better than FE Echoes Leon, that's for sure (that dude looks too feminine imo).

Isn’t that the point of Leon?

3 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

Isn’t that the point of Leon?

...I don't know? What looks cool and what doesn't is in the eye of the beholder.

So, Japan's double pack looks different from ours. I prefer ours.

Makes more sense to me to stack the game cases in a box like NA did rather than sit them side by side and take up more space on a shelf as Japan's doing imo. Also, NA's version looks easier to wrap too, and some people will definitely get these as Christmas presents given the release date.

I'm considering getting it myself. I haven't gotten both versions of a Pokemon game set since XY, but this is tempting. So far, Sword would be my main version, but still.

Edited by Anacybele

Had to miss it live, but I swore to not be spoiled.

Spoiler

It's Ishihara again.

Trains confirmed. The rival? looks neat (and sadly picks your weakness, I looks like the professor's female and her mum's also there I think. There's another early sheep (Points for accuracy), some flower-hair mon and an angry turtle that looks like it could have been from anywhere. Looks like Pokemon Amie will have some form here, Sawk is confirmed along with a new jet black bird with some spikes and what might be a helmet over its head. Not amazing graphically, but I'm unsurprised. We get shots of earlier gen pokemon wandering around (So, maybe not random battles, but we saw what looked like random battles early on), including some big ones (and Tyranitar, YES!), with the montage showing berry tree shaking, fishing and I think the trainer whistling for wild Stuffl to come to him (So wait, not random? Nice!), some platforms with light shooting out which trainers move towards and lead to what look like multiplayer raids? Wait what? Did I just see raids be confirmed? Also, they first face a giant Gyarados. There's also something on the trainer's wrists (I wonder if there's anything new?), which is activated by one to return Raichu, make the ball bigger, than throw out a giant Raichu (Holy crap what!). Looks like Titan pokemon are a thing? Also, one of these titans are caught. We then move onto a stadium battle, with these giant pokemon thrown out and we get a new cottonball (Cottonee's better, fight me) and we see a shot of one trainer in particular with a charizard to end it. 

We then get Masuda and Ohmori talking the usual (though I want the hopscotch to be playable). Stadiums look to be the gym replacements and wait, a white guy's directing something? (James Turner's apparently around since Pokemon XD and has designed a subset including Golurk). The sheep's called Wooloo (WOOLOOLOO!), the flower's called Gossifleur, the turtle's called Drednaw, the brid's called Corviknight (I knew that was a helmet!) and one of those will be a flier between towns. Gossifleur becomes that cottonball (Eldegoss) and those are all the new ones today. Nothing else? Boo.

We then move on to the reveal that the area etween towns is just "the wild area" and that the pokemon found vary based on pretty much everything (weather, location, time) so that sounds neat but hellish for completing the dex. Also, WE FINALLY HAVE A FREE-TURN CAMERA! The Titans happen due to something called Dynamaxing, passing onto Kazumasa Iwao (who directed US/UM. Oh fuck). Dynamaxing changes their size and moves are changed (it can be done by seemingly anyone, but has a 3-turn time limit). They are also linked to the platforms, which can be taken by (up to?) 4 players for those raids we saw before (raids confirmed I guess). These battles are limited so that only one can use Dynamax while the enemy will stay huge. Looks like it's maybe local only, though that's not certain based on what Masuda said.

That guy at end of the footage is obvious champ Leon. His little brother is the rival we saw earlier (Also his name's Hop, Pfft.) Also, I was wrong on the professor, the older one's Prof Magnolia and the younger one is her grandkid and assistant Sonia. The stadia are being called gyms (What?) and the guy we've seen the whole time's called Milo, is likely early on and is grass type (Just once could we get grass late on?)

We get a cutscene showing off the legendaries. The giant lion feels too similar to Solgaleo, sorry. But wait! Another one comes and they look very similar but one has a sword in its mouth, the other a shield on its face. Sorry, the sword one's more fox like. Then they end up squaring off against something else. Swordie's called Zacian and Shieldface is Zamazenta. We get our farewells and the release is November 15th everywhere. There's also a double pack I guess. Guess I'm on Sword based on the legendary, but still.

TLDR: Sword and Shield get the usual unveiling. So, nothing for E3 then? Also, they're pushing Raichu quite a bit here. Interesting

6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

We get a cutscene showing off the legendaries. The giant lion feels too similar to Solgaleo, sorry. But wait! Another one comes and they look very similar but one has a sword in its mouth, the other a shield on its face. Sorry, the sword one's more fox like. Then they end up squaring off against something else. Swordie's called Zacian and Shieldface is Zamazenta. We get our farewells and the release is November 15th everywhere. There's also a double pack I guess. Guess I'm on Sword based on the legendary, but still.

They're both wolves, not lions or foxes. How do either of them look feline to you? And also, look at the game logos, which feature wolf heads. Definitely wolves.

Edited by Anacybele

Not to alarm anyone here, but my uncle at Nintendo has sent me concept art of the grass gym leader as well as in game footage of the Sword legendary.

Spoiler

960706631_Remindsmeofangelfacefromberserk_a6cabfc3c3c4eeb828ec2bc3525f01c9.thumb.jpg.809e74c3f2c821cf9bc19b0687595c56.jpg

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

Very real.

50 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

They're both wolves, not lions or foxes. How do either of them look feline to you? And also, look at the game logos, which feature wolf heads. Definitely wolves.

I did say they sword one looked more fox like initially and everything since has been out to say wolves.

I will put it on the record that I was wrong.

I really don’t like how the legendaries look so similar to each other. They look like something from Transformers. Wooloo and Corviknight are great though! 

Like the small things adjustable cameras and Pokémon in the overworld. The region looks awesome as ever. Hop is probably the silliest name ever lol.

Can I have the raven instead of the monkey, rabbit and whatever Sobble is suppose to be as a starter instead since I usually box the starters anyways. Corviknight is probably going to be my favorite new Pokémon from Gen 8. Also, I liked how they gave Raichu loads of attention even if it was to show off their new Dynamax feature which I am not sure how I feel about since the giant Pokemon battling each other looks ridiculous to me. Now I see why that Godzilla comment was made in the Pokémon Conference last week.

Rival is still too friendly for my liking and still pick the starter weak against yours (which really doesn't matter too much to me since I never use my starters anymore these days) so he will probably be forgotten too long.

Surprised they showed off the Champion already. Let me guess his ace Pokemon is going to be Dynamax Charizard or maybe even go beyond that and have Dynamax Mega Charizard X right? The way they said Leon was never defeated makes me think we are going to have an Alder situation from the Unova games where by the time we get to the Pokémon League someone else will have already defeated Leon and he will be relegated to a postgame bonus boss. Just a theory I have right now anyways.

Edited by NSSKG151

So who here go villain vibes from Leon? It seems suspicious to feature the champion so prominently and state their popularity so clearly, as well as giving him a younger brother. 

The open world look the game has is something I approve off.

Not really interested in the Dynamax gimmick. We already have megaevolution and I quite prefer that.

What kind of name is "Hop" xD. You'd have to do something crazy with the guy for me to take him seriously with a name like that.

Did I understand that right...

"Among some of these pokemon there are some you can only catch after you defeat them in Max battles"

EUGH, that's definitely something I do NOT like.

Edited by Hekselka

53 minutes ago, Silverly said:

I really don’t like how the legendaries look so similar to each other. They look like something from Transformers. Wooloo and Corviknight are great though! 

Agreed. The designs are fine, but they're a little too busy for me. Zacian looks like a cross between Lycanroc and Gaogamon. And yes, Corviknight is amazing.

That giant-ass Pokeball used for Dynamaxing reminds me of this thing:

549e3029232b49f8ae54ebbaa3e8fd1cd7324f51

It makes me so nostalgic, even though they're so different.

Edit: Rotomdex is back.

rotomphone.jpg

Edited by Dai

I am IN for Wild Areas. Walking up to pokemon of your choice instead of random encounters was the premier "good idea that we shouldn't drop" from Let's Go. Having both styles of camera and encountering pokemon is a decent enough compromise. Since not every area they want in the game will be open ended. Name is a little on the nose though. Is there a recent, critically acclaimed Nintendo game we can think of with Wild in the name?