Res' infinite questions about FE4 hacking

Guest Res

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

what have you all changed, and have you used any patches?

I've applied the translation patch and the patch that allows sword skills to activate with other weapons.

7 minutes ago, Resuno said:

I've applied the translation patch and the patch that allows sword skills to activate with other weapons.

And those work, as intended? What happens when you try to save?

As implied by lightcosmo, patches can interfere with certain things, especially translation and/or event-heavy patches. I made a remix/hard mode mode several years ago and the spare ROM space I used for custom enemies didn't interfere with the translation patch from the time, so it could just be applied over mine and vice versa. However the new and improved translation patch breaks it, I know because even though I only log on here every few months, by inbox usually has people asking me why the game keeps crashing with my patch and it's because they are using the newer translation patch. I am going to assume that spare ROM space I used is also used in the new translation patch causing them to conflict (which usually results in glitches and crashes). You should answer the following before continuing.

EDIT: Derp, I replied to page 3 and missed the couple posts on page 4. You said what patches you were using (translation and sword skills). From what I have found the sword skill doesn't seem to interfere with much, while the translation is considerably larger and (I assume) has a fair amount of rearranged data. Try it on a clean ROM, if it works fine, try it on a ROM patched with *only* the sword skills. If that works fine, then you will know it's incompatible with the translation patch and will require some extra changes.

Edited by Camus The Dark Knight

Oh wow, I got Camus to help me. Nice.

Saves work with just the sword skills patch, which the translation interferes with it. Dang it...

Gharnef's translation patch does work with the sword skills patch, thankfully.

So now it's a bit of a dillemma. Saves or Naga translation? 🤔

And if I do use the Gharnef translation, I'll have to make the whole thing again!

Edited by Resuno

What kind of mod are you making? If it's mostly focused on game play stuff you can just leave the game in Japanese since most who are looking for a "remix" (for lack of a better term) are just interested in game play changes since they already know the plot. The menus are easily remembered, or if you want you can translate only the menus and leave the rest the same (I am sure someone around here has a table containing which byte correspond to which Kana, and the few Latin characters, in the base game). Find out if a patch you want uses blank ROM space, and compare it to the translation patch, if occupy the same space, you can relocate it (if it's all one string it will only require changing a few bytes in the ips file) and change pointers to the new location.

• 3 months later...

It has been way too long, and I hope just because this post ain't in the 1st page it won't be noticed anymore....oh well.

One thing that's been bothering me is inserting animations. I've searched and searched and there's NOTHING that tells how to insert animations into FE4, or maybe I'm just not good at searching.

Is there anyone that knows how to do this?

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:08 PM, Resuno said:

It has been way too long, and I hope just because this post ain't in the 1st page it won't be noticed anymore....oh well.

One thing that's been bothering me is inserting animations. I've searched and searched and there's NOTHING that tells how to insert animations into FE4, or maybe I'm just not good at searching.

Is there anyone that knows how to do this?

Inserting animations isn't as easy as changing other things. There's some documents floating around for it. Do you mean using custom or inserting from Thracia?

On 10/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, Resuno said:

Hmm....for now, I'm thinking of importing the Thracia Hero sprite, 'cause I'd like FE4 Heroes to use Axes.

Pretty sure there's a patch for this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you know, can you please explain how to insert custom animations? I've searched around a lot and the only thing I know is that you need a graphics compressor/decompressor. Maybe there's a way to import the game's animations too....