Thracia 776 General Help Topic

Playing Thracia 776 for the first time because of Project Exile? Need some help to emerge victorious in Leif's struggle of survival and liberation?

Then ask away here! Any question or any problem, just ask, and other willing SFers gods willing will come to your aid.

Please note that SF has a lot of very comprehensive data on Thracia 776 here (excuse any naming incongruences). 

But that might not be enough. Maybe you want someone to explain this stuff more, maybe you don't know how to succeed in a troublesome chapter- which that all info won't do on its own. Or maybe you want to play semi-blind and that reveals too much. Regardless of the reasons, ask your questions big or small in this topic.

--

What are the best uses for Hammerne? I've already spent one use on the Light Brand.

And how liberal can I be with using the Flame Sword? I still have more than 30 uses on Eyvel's, and captured the second one in Chapter 10.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

What are the best uses for Hammerne? I've already spent one use on the Light Brand.

Generally the staves are the best use for the Hammerne, since Thracia staves are broken AF. However if you want to use it on a personal weapon like the Pugi (Bhuj) or the Light brand, then those are also good uses for it.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And how liberal can I be with using the Flame Sword? I still have more than 30 uses on Eyvel's, and captured the second one in Chapter 10.

Use it in any situation you think it's necessary. Thracia isn't too generous with its magic swords, but don't be afraid to use them. I used the Flame Sword quite a bit myself, since it makes the Manster Escape Sequence, namely that one death room in Chapter 4, a lot easier to manage. It's like any other rare weapon in FE. Don't overuse them, but don't be too stingy on their uses or else you're trying to hammer a screw in when you have a perfectly good screwdriver in your toolbox.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You have close to 70 uses left, and there are other magic swords you can/will get, so don't hoard it.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This depends a lot on what units you are using, as a some of the best weapons are personal ones. Some of note are the Grafcaliber, the Pugi (if you don't grab the extra from B route), the Daimthunder (if you don't cheese your way into an extra one), the Mareeta Sword (if you are using her), the Earth Sword (if you use Nanna in combat), the Light Brand, and of course the amazing Thief Staff (although its still very limited in uses). Unless you burn through the Brave Lance very early I wouldn't bother using it on a lance of any kind. Some other good choices are the King Sword , as the charm effect is nice, and its brave effect can make it burn through uses; I could see you using one on the Elite Sword if you are really grinding up sword units (or trying to suffer through using unmounted unit's stuck at E rank swords); and a sleep sword (if you nabbed one/some) as they are very hard to come by, brokenly good and have over triple the uses of the staff version. Sleep staffs, Berserk staffs, Warp staffs, and Return staffs can be worth it, but they become more plentiful late in the game, and have very limited uses.

Hammerne: Warp staves or personal weapons you wanna keep using if you're using them quite a lot such as Light Brand, Brave Lance, Pugi, Etc.

Fire Sword: You'll get other magical swords but they have different buffs (Thunder has +5 SKL, Wind has +5 Speed). If you use Nanna or Amalda, I do recommend keeping one of the Fire Swords to 1 use so you can equip it to Amalda/Nanna for +5 magic if needed for using status staves. It's a niche thing a but Silencing/Sleeping someone to disable their siege tome or Berserk staff is better than having to worry about restoring it.

No question has been asked, but I need to say this anyways. CAPTURE and get every DOOR KEY you can! Or don't let your thieves die. Capture is very good and is the only way you get items or gold. You have to trade while they're captured to take their items. Also, when you're doing missions when you escape, don't escape Leif until everyone else has escaped. Otherwise you won't get them back for a long time.

Veterans may be wondering why I'm saying this simple stuff (Idk if you are), but this is stuff that seriously kicked my butt. Generally you should try to keep a couple spare keys, but you usually shouldn't fret if you see that you're like one key short. Because typically there're units you can capture and take a key from. But even then, you should still have some extra ones because not all maps have enemies with enough keys for the map. Also, there's one map that appears you need a flier, but you don't. So don't freak out when you get to that point. I put it in spoiler tags: 

Spoiler

It's the dark map where you get Mareeta. There's a bridge you need to fix and an enemy unit will be holding a green key that'll do the trick for ya.

There's some beginner advice for those who're playing this the first time. I just played not long ago. Please take it.

I usually restore the thief staff because there are lots of situations you want to dismantle enemies like a certain guy who says

Spoiler

Magic is everything. 

Besides that pugi and especially grafcalibur are essential. Since bosses have no resistance boost on the throne, Asvel is the ticket to very most bosses of the game. 

Edited by The Cat

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

better keep Hammerne for either signature weapons such as the Light Brand/Earth Sword/etc, or unique staffs such as Silence/Sleep.

it's also wise to use signature weapons only when fighting bosses and/or having to deal with critical situations( example: being surrounded/cornered by lots of enemies ).

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

you can get and/or steal more of them in later chapters, but it would be better to not overuse them.

they're unique weapons that give +5 MGC, and there's many sword users with decent MGC growth rates that can use them, so it would be wise to spare at least one for all of them( Machua, Felgus and Karin being the main contenders for those swords ). you should really treat them as signature weapons, rather than common ones.

5 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

No question has been asked, but I need to say this anyways. CAPTURE and get every DOOR KEY you can! Or don't let your thieves die. Capture is very good and is the only way you get items or gold. You have to trade while they're captured to take their items.

on a side note: capturing specific enemies and keeping them until the chapter is over will also lead to either new units recruited, or new recruitments available later on, so it's always good to capture enemy units and/or bosses without freeing them.

unless it's common units, in that case those can be simply freed after you get their items if needed. keeping enemy units will also lower your characters stats, so be careful when you decide to capture an enemy unit. doing so while fighting many enemies at once isn't really a smart idea, and it can backfire easily.

other general infos:

- stats are capped at 20, so it's easier to reach caps by using consumable stats booster items as much as in FE3;

- promotions are available at lv10, but they're not necessary. it would be wiser to farm arenas for extra stats, unless you want your units to access new weapon types or staffs earlier;

- gold can't be shared like in FE4 because there's one single pool for that, instead of having every character with his/her own bank like in Genealogy;

- skills can be learned via books and they're also quite rare, so it's always good to check enemy units before deciding to kill them;

- available weapon types are determined not only by class, but also by mounted or dismounted units. the general rule is that swords are mostly used on foot by horseback/flying units, while lances are available the other way around. pretty much like it was in FE3;

- weapons and staffs have levels, so plan wisely wich units you want to use in order to improve them;

- there's a fatigue system wich will lock your units out of chapters when they reach their limit( it's set by their maximum HP ). don't worry though, because once they get some rest, they will be available again in the next chapters. you can also use some special drinks to reset their fatigue, but they're quite rare and expensive too. due to these limitations, it's best to plan wisely wich units to use in every chapter by setting their overall utility as main priority, rather than personal preference;

- there's Crusader Scrolls that work pretty much like Star Shards from FE3, wich increase growth rates of specific stats;

- normal/horseback/flying units can take/shield allies and move around with them( by the way, that was also the first time in FE that units transport was introduced~the more you know! );

- there's no supports available nor children units like in FE4. however, there's still special interactions between characters that will reveal more background stories, and eventually give you items too;

- there's 2 different kinds of chapters: seize and escape. the first requires conquering a target as usual, but in the second you'll need to flee the map with all your units. always have Leaf escape last: that way you will save all your units, otherwise they'll be lost;

- you can trade items between characters. also, Thracia 776 is a game that makes full use of all its features, so be mentally prepared for some puzzle games. there's early chapters that will require thinking hard about items distribution in order for your units to survive. there's a tactical aspect not only in battles, but also in items management, wich is what made FE5 unique and interesting.

Well it looks like nobody else using this topic, I tried to see if there was demand for it.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:46 PM, Fenreir said:

or unique staffs such as Silence/Sleep.

Speaking of Sleep, I've just reached Chapter 16 Dorius/Coastal/Sol (although I think Augustus was smarter in the discussion, I'm choosing what most people consider the better path and I'll do a Paragon Mode run later where I get Miranda because she sounds interesting), and looking over SF's item locations page, this seems to be the only chapter where I can find Sleep Swords before Xavier. Being that I'm going to attempt this hell of a recruitment, I've heard Sleep Swords are good for getting him. But the problem is they on Cavaliers- mounted units, so I can't Capture them, and the swords are too heavy to Steal.

Fortunately I've still have one use left on Salem's Sleep Staff before it'd need a Hammerne. Using Sleep to get Sleep is a clever and kinda funny strat I'll have to use😉🤪. Sleep Staff the first Cavalier for one Sleep Sword, then capture them and use their Sleep to get two more Sleeps for a total a net gain of an incredible 27 Sleep uses. One of which I immediately plan for Ilios, since I want his stuff and aren't killing Olwen inasmuch as I love great bases (seriously, Ralph looks great to me). And this frees up the Hammerne for Warp and other things.

On 6/6/2019 at 8:20 AM, SSbardock84 said:

Also, when you're doing missions when you escape, don't escape Leif until everyone else has escaped. Otherwise you won't get them back for a long time.

When I escape, so does everyone else!

Haha... ahem, anyways...

I'll also say sometimes enemies will try to capture unarmed units.  That might seem bad, but it can work in your favor if you use it right.  Reason being is not only because it'll cause the enemy to move from whatever position they may be in, but also because capturing/rescuing units causes the captor/rescuer to receive debuffs.  So an enemy who captures a unit will be horribly ineffective in combat, making them much easier prey.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fortunately I've still have one use left on Salem's Sleep Staff before it'd need a Hammerne. Using Sleep to get Sleep is a clever and kinda funny strat I'll have to use😉🤪. Sleep Staff the first Cavalier for one Sleep Sword, then capture them and use their Sleep to get two more Sleeps for a total a net gain of an incredible 27 Sleep uses.

Now that's what I call catching some Z's.

Anyone?

No?

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well it looks like nobody else using this topic, I tried to see if there was demand for it.

To be totally fair, since Thracia 776 is so notorious for being really cryptic (and the old English patch didn't help with that whatsoever), people have made many guides and FAQs on the game.

That said, the patch has only been out for, like, a week, and I don't know if the kind of people who'd need advice would've been able to complete it by now (or even come close to completing it).  Probably a lot of the more tactically-challenged fans have yet to reach some of the more difficult chapters.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Now that's what I call catching some Z's.

Anyone?

No?

💡

You just gave me a brilliant new FE class idea- Comedian (or Jester to have that medieval veneer). A dedicated debuffer support class with less reliability and snipeability, but more spammability than precious status staffs. One of its debuffing commands would be Awkward Silence: has a (User's Skill x 2 - Target's Skill + 50)/2 = % chance of inflicting Silence on a target enemy within two spaces of this unit and any enemies adjacent to them.

Geez I took forever with with C16, about 30 turns. I got all three Sleep Swords with a little savestating:unsure:, but I never figured out what makes Kempf move out and attack. It was bringing Olwen? That makes sense, but I didn't bring her having brought her in the last fight and thinking she was unneeded this time, despite connections to Kempf. The fact you can't have her and Ilios means you can't trigger Kempf if you opt to get him instead, not the best design choice here. -Then again, the ballistae would still be there, a quick Warp would have been really good for that.

So instead, after Leif recruited Schroff, Karin dropped him in the forests and he dodgetanked while slashing away at the ballistae and Kempf when he struck. A few of my best units remained on the east bridge waiting for Kempf to move out, which he and all his troops never did. The bulk of my forces, mostly weaker units, waaaaaaaaaited for Conomor with Alfred eager to Sleep him and mug him for his weapons. Conomor advanced for two turns before Kempf died and he fled without me ever touching him, which felt like a major disappointment.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I'll also say sometimes enemies will try to capture unarmed units.  That might seem bad, but it can work in your favor if you use it right.  Reason being is not only because it'll cause the enemy to move from whatever position they may be in, but also because capturing/rescuing units causes the captor/rescuer to receive debuffs.  So an enemy who captures a unit will be horribly ineffective in combat, making them much easier prey.

you will also loose all the items on the unit that gets captured, so it would be wise to trade the character's items to other units before using the decoy tactic.

on a side note: be careful how you use Sleep and Silence staffs. they're fine for bosses and/or long-range nukers, however there's enemy units that will be locked out of recruitment if they get debuffed. you won't be able to recruit them by talking if they're sleeping or silenced( makes sense ), not even if you capture them and then free or keep them.

Edited by Fenreir

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few questions:

When do you eventually get the ability to manage your inventory in a convoy / supply? I've already sent one item to the "supply" so I assume it exists. I'm still really early in the game (2x) but I'm wondering if I should maybe prioritized only capturing for the nicer items and leaving the junk behind since my inventories are all filling up.

From what little I've read, apparently it's commonly thought that archers aren't really worth using in this game? Do you agree or disagree?

It seems you eventually get Hammerene staves, but how conservative should I be in the early game with the Brave weapons that you get (Finn's lance and the other guy's axe)? Brave weapons can be a huge advantage early on in FE, but they're never really worth repairing since usually you eventually are able to buy and/or find them with some ease. I guess I am wondering what point that is in this game?

I had a few other questions but forgot! 😉 Thanks for any help!

Battle Preparation doesn't become available until chapter 8 but you actually can access the convoy beforehand. There is a special building you may encounter that allows access to your supplies mid chapter. And said building is first encountered in chapter 3, in the upper left corner.

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

I have a few questions:

When do you eventually get the ability to manage your inventory in a convoy / supply? I've already sent one item to the "supply" so I assume it exists. I'm still really early in the game (2x) but I'm wondering if I should maybe prioritized only capturing for the nicer items and leaving the junk behind since my inventories are all filling up.

From what little I've read, apparently it's commonly thought that archers aren't really worth using in this game? Do you agree or disagree?

It seems you eventually get Hammerene staves, but how conservative should I be in the early game with the Brave weapons that you get (Finn's lance and the other guy's axe)? Brave weapons can be a huge advantage early on in FE, but they're never really worth repairing since usually you eventually are able to buy and/or find them with some ease. I guess I am wondering what point that is in this game?

I had a few other questions but forgot! 😉 Thanks for any help!

you'll get the supply/convoy management option once you escape from the prison chapter(it will come soon enough, don't worry).

you will also get the option to buy basic weapons, so it would be wise to capture mainly units with unique items(even if capturing them when there's not many risks involved it's always a nice opportunity to save money for other items later on).

Archers aren't terrible in this game, but it always depends on the targets you're fighting against, and the gear your units have. they're not intended to fight armored units, but they can take care of brigands and mages eventually.

there's also Crusader scrolls that can be used to boost characters with low stats/growth rates, so you can pretty much cap anyone to 20 like it was in FE3(Mystery of the Emblem). plus you can grind in arenas too.

as for Brave weapons, you should be conservative as much as possible, because you won't find many of them around, and some are unique for each character. you should use them mainly to fight well-geared enemies and bosses, or eventually to capture enemy units if you don't have other options. such special weapons include: brave ones, magic swords, tomes and character signature weapons.

Edited by Fenreir

On 6/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, SSbardock84 said:

No question has been asked, but I need to say this anyways. CAPTURE and get every DOOR KEY you can! Or don't let your thieves die. Capture is very good and is the only way you get items or gold. Also, when you're doing missions when you escape, don't escape Leif until everyone else has escaped. Otherwise you won't get them back for a long time.

Reveal hidden contents

It's the dark map where you get Mareeta. There's a bridge you need to fix and an enemy unit will be holding a green key that'll do the trick for ya.

There's some beginner advice for those who're playing this the first time. I just played not long ago. Please take it.

These are to know about since the game does not hint you on these whatsoever. (It's meant to be a harder game than anything else). The first two is to not get screwed later in the game and if anyone got captured...it'd be to the point where it would have no meaning to use them after getting them back from a chapter that is difficult to do so which demands utility from some of your goods that you already need on two other chapters later.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:46 PM, Fenreir said:

other general infos:

- stats are capped at 20, so it's easier to reach caps by using consumable stats booster items as much as in FE3;

1. - promotions are available at lv10, but they're not necessary. it would be wiser to farm arenas for extra stats, unless you want your units to access new weapon types or staffs earlier;

2. - weapons and staffs have levels, so plan wisely wich units you want to use in order to improve them;

3. - there's a fatigue system wich will lock your units out of chapters when they reach their limit( it's set by their maximum HP ). don't worry though, because once they get some rest, they will be available again in the next chapters. you can also use some special drinks to reset their fatigue, but they're quite rare and expensive too. due to these limitations, it's best to plan wisely wich units to use in every chapter by setting their overall utility as main priority, rather than personal preference;

4. - there's2 different kinds of chapters: seize and escape. the first requires conquering a target as usual, but in the second you'll need to flee the map with all your units. always have Leaf escape last: that way you will save all your units, otherwise they'll be lost;

5. - you can trade items between characters. also, Thracia 776 is a game that makes full use of all its features, so be mentally prepared for some puzzle games. there's early chapters that will require thinking hard about items distribution in order for your units to survive. there's a tactical aspect not only in battles, but also in items management, wich is what made FE5 unique and interesting.

1. For the upper sentence is why that you should promote them around that to 13.

2. Weapon levels go up every 50 uses of a wpn and that having no manuals makes do this not worthwhile. Bar none for Swords on Orsin.

3. The stamina drinks to note should only be used on units that you need to recruit someone or to get special stuff like for example...needing Safy to recruit Tyna in Chapter 12X and cannot bring her because of being fatigued. There are also Stamina drinks that you can get for free in Chapter 14X.

4.  Yes. This game does not hint you on this whatsoever. Why does it that the devs not tell you this?! 😕

5. It also requires using their ranged weapons (Light Brand most recommended by it's +10 Luck that it gives for more dodge to Leif) by doing so since many enemies in Ch5 use alot of ranged weapons.

Many thanks to both of you for the answers!

Thanks Fenreir especially for the info on brave weapons,  I would not have guessed that they remained rare the whole game and would have used mine more liberally than I will now! Thanks for all the other information too, it is very useful.

I remembered my other questions 🙂 :

Are there ranks for the battles as in some games? I haven't seen any displayed, but it is perhaps keeping track in the background? Should I be concerned with turn count for any reason?

What causes a character to sometimes whistle (getting music note thought bubble) and then get another turn? Is there some way to force this to occur or is it pure luck?

What do you consider to be the best walkthrough for the game?  I've been using AquiIae's FAQ at Gamefaqs and while it's ok, it definitely misses some things. I also just discovered ModelOmega's video walkthroughs on youtube which are really good and thorough but I do usually prefer text based walkthroughs. I didn't see any on this site, but maybe I am just blind and missed it? Are there other sources out there to consider? 

18 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

Many thanks to both of you for the answers!

Thanks Fenreir especially for the info on brave weapons,  I would not have guessed that they remained rare the whole game and would have used mine more liberally than I will now! Thanks for all the other information too, it is very useful.

Calling them "rare" is actually a bit of an understatement. There is only one of each.
Though there are several unique weapons that allow multiple attacks. And there is the "Master" series of weapons, which can do that too.

Are there ranks for the battles as in some games? I haven't seen any displayed, but it is perhaps keeping track in the background? Should I be concerned with turn count for any reason?

You get a ranking for your turncount and that's it. Getting A or higher unlocks the Sound Test.
Also worth noting is that the turn rank is more lenient if you manage to recruit every single character in the game and have them survive, probably to account for all the time you'd have to spend in side chapters.

What causes a character to sometimes whistle (getting music note thought bubble) and then get another turn? Is there some way to force this to occur or is it pure luck?

Movement Stars. You can see them on the Status screen. Each star gives you a 5% chance to move again. Some bosses have them too, so watch out for that.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

What do you consider to be the best walkthrough for the game?  I've been using AquiIae's FAQ at Gamefaqs and while it's ok, it definitely misses some things. I also just discovered ModelOmega's video walkthroughs on youtube which are really good and thorough but I do usually prefer text based walkthroughs. I didn't see any on this site, but maybe I am just blind and missed it? Are there other sources out there to consider? 

i'm not really into walkthroughs since i prefer to learn things and play on my own, but usually Gamefaqs and Neoseeker have some guides.

otherwise, if you get stuck in some chapter, you could just ask here. there should be plenty of people who have played retro games from the FE franchise, so there should be always someone with knowledge to share.

on a side note: i'm actually doing a marathon of FE games. i have played and completed Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War and i'm currently at mid-game with Thracia 776( dealing with chapters 16/17, going for the East route at the moment. i plan to try the West route too once i'm done with my main run ), so if you need suggestions, feel free to ask.

19 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i'm not really into walkthroughs since i prefer to learn things and play on my own, but usually Gamefaqs and Neoseeker have some guides.

otherwise, if you get stuck in some chapter, you could just ask here. there should be plenty of people who have played retro games from the FE franchise, so there should be always someone with knowledge to share.

on a side note: i'm actually doing a marathon of FE games. i have played and completed Gaiden, Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy of the Holy War and i'm currently at mid-game with Thracia 776( dealing with chapters 16/17, going for the East route at the moment. i plan to try the West route too once i'm done with my main run ), so if you need suggestions, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for all of your help and your offer for further assistance if needed! I suspect it will be since this game does seem to be a bit harder than they typically are. 😉 FWIW, for others like me who do like guides I found a good one here: https://www.fireemblemwod.com/ENG_fe5.htm it was recommended by ModelOmega and seems much better than anything else I have found. That said, I really respect people like you who play through blind or relatively blind! But for me I just get too stressed if I do that with a very difficult game like this. I do often do it with the ones that are not legendarily difficult, though. 😉

It's really cool you are doing a FE marathon! I've thought about doing that as well, but I will probably wait to start until after Three Houses drops and I finish that one. 😉

I have a couple more questions!

This is probably a very daft question but is it possible to "use" items in the 'convoy' / deploy menu (not sure what to call it exactly)?

My specific question is: I am on chapter 11x and Asvel is fatigued, could I in theory I use an S drink on him in the menu if this is possible, but I cannot see a way to do this.  (FWIW this level looks easy enough that it's not something I will probably waste an S drink on but I am just curious if it is possible! I may have overlooked some simple way to do this.)

Another question is: do morale bonuses (support, Nanna's charm skill, etc.) work in the arena? So if I have Brighton support Matcha by standing within three squares of her when she is grinding in the arena, can I expect her exploits there to go better than if he were not nearby? A sub question is: are supports the same strength no matter how close the units are? For example, if Brighton is only just within three squares of Matcha will the support be as strong as if they are directly adjacent to each other? Thanks as always for any help! 🙂

34 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

This is probably a very daft question but is it possible to "use" items in the 'convoy' / deploy menu (not sure what to call it exactly)?

My specific question is: I am on chapter 11x and Asvel is fatigued, could I in theory I use an S drink on him in the menu if this is possible, but I cannot see a way to do this.  (FWIW this level looks easy enough that it's not something I will probably waste an S drink on but I am just curious if it is possible! I may have overlooked some simple way to do this.)

No way to use stuff in the preparations menu. It took until FE7 for them to add that.

As for Stamina Drinks, just put one in Asbel's inventory. You can then select him in the Deploy menu and he'll have consumed the drink when turn 1 starts.

On 7/2/2019 at 12:09 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

No way to use stuff in the preparations menu. It took until FE7 for them to add that.

As for Stamina Drinks, just put one in Asbel's inventory. You can then select him in the Deploy menu and he'll have consumed the drink when turn 1 starts.

Thank you! This is all very helpful. 🙂

On 7/1/2019 at 11:33 PM, Mjolnir said:

Another question is: do morale bonuses (support, Nanna's charm skill, etc.) work in the arena? So if I have Brighton support Matcha by standing within three squares of her when she is grinding in the arena, can I expect her exploits there to go better than if he were not nearby? A sub question is: are supports the same strength no matter how close the units are? For example, if Brighton is only just within three squares of Matcha will the support be as strong as if they are directly adjacent to each other? Thanks as always for any help! 

🙂

As far as supports in the arena go, I seem to recall them working, although I'm not entirely sure. As for the other question, supports are always the same strength independently from the distance between the units. 

I kept playing Thracia while Project Exile worked on the translation, and finished it on the weekend the final version came out. Have to say, completing Thracia was a struggle and this game made me uncomfortable more that any other Fire Emblem games. There are a lot of things the game throws at you, and you need to be ready for it. Here's a list of tips I'd give to anyone who also found themselves under the pressure.

• Capture is a big mechanic in the game. Once you captured an enemy, you can steal all their equipment before releasing them, giving you some much needed equipment. It's easier to get some equipment early on this way, but better equipment comes in later chapters. However the enemy can also capture your units who can't fight back, and when they do they automatically steal all their equipment, except scrolls and personal weapons. This can be used for capture baiting, but the game is possible to beat without it.
  • Status effects like Sleep, Silence and Berserk last until the end of the chapter, no X turn duration, very powerful effect. Advised to steal these whenever you can, since the enemies don't have Restore staves most of the time. Having your units under status effects can be very annoying.
  • Boss tiles give much higher defense and avoid bonuses. This only boosts defense against physical attacks though, so mages and magic swords can be much more effective. They also block you from using status staves on the bosses.
  • You'll run into escape chapters. Make sure Leif escapes last, otherwise anyone who left on the map is automatically captured. This can make your runs impossible in some cases.
  • Fog of War is bad. The only way to see more through this is if you use Torches. Most Gaiden chapters have this, other than that only Chapter 12 gives you that. This makes the formation screen a big black screen as preview, so if you don't like that, check out the maps on fireemblemwod.
  • You can't change the positions in formation. You should also check the deployment order on the maps on fireemblemwod if they give you problem. Early maps usually put the army in one spot, but later maps they split them up, and some cases leave you with groups next to a door they cannot open.
  • Fatigue is also a big part in formation. The only way to reduce it to 0 is if your units skips a chapter or you give them an S Drink - that is why it's good to have more healers/boss killers in your army.
  • Some units can ride horses, but indoors they need to get off from their mount. Unfortunately some units have different weapon ranks when they are mounted and when they are not, and most lance weapon ranks are only on mounts, except for Dalshin who might not be used in the long run.
  • Ballistas are no joke, they have good hit rate and damage a lot. In Chapter 14 you might want to take them out with Olwen and a Bolting tome, assuming she got the weapon ranks to use it at the time. Makes the chapter much more manageable.
  • Leadership stars boost every units hit/avoid rate by 3% in the army. Saias has 10 leadership stars, so you know it's bad when he's around. You can use hit/avoid rate boost as well, including leadership stars, Charisma skill and Supports. Kingmaker is a weapon that gives the Charisma skill, it's best used with Leif who supports a lot of units. To see who supports who, check out the picture below. Keep in mind that even with a lot of support the minimum and maximum hit rates are still 1/99%
  • Movement stars give 5% chance to act again. They are very useful, but try not to rely on them too much in your main strategy. It just makes the game more annoying when it makes the enemy act again.
  • Staves can miss, even the healing ones. A healer with high Skl will not miss, but they can also cast the heal twice on the same target. Sometimes the enemy gets into this too, but don't rely on that.
  • Scrolls will boost the growth rates of the unit who have them in their inventory, and when they have multiple, they stack together. However units with scrolls won't get critical hits on them, so it's better to give them to multiple units. Check out the main site for the bonuses they give in growths, but Exile patch already have them included for you.
  • Each unit has a hidden PCC stat, which is a multiplier on their critical value when they do a follow-up attack - a unit with high PCC will usually get a guaranteed critical on the 2nd attack, making it a much valuable stat. For this early on Othin with Bhuj, Fergus with Brave Sword, Olwen with Dire Thunder or Mareeta with her personal sword can get you some easy kills.
  • Your company is separated at the end of chapter 3, and they will return later with the equipment you left on them. 13 items from Leif's and Lifis's equipment will be stored in Chapter 4 chests and Eyvel's inventory goes to the storage. Marty won't be able to attack you in Chapter 8 if you don't leave an axe on him. Tanya and Dagda needs weapons, vulneraries and a Torch with them. You could bring the Brave Axe with Leif to make Dalshin more useful in the upcoming chapters.
  • Lifis can easily steal magic tomes early in the game, making the mages go running away from the map after that.
  • Gomez is probably the nastiest boss early on. Make sure you have a few uses on the Grafcalibur to deal with him. If you met Henning in FE6 8x, Gomez is the same, but much more difficult.
  • You want Safy to reach A rank of Staves by Chapter 12. Not getting A staves will make the upcoming chapters more difficult without warp staves. Keep her using staves or promote her if you can.
  • Try to capture Salem early on in Chapter 12. He unlocks Chapter 12x for you and the Sleep staff on him is very valuable later on.
  • Lara is the only dancer in the game, and she promotes into that class in Chapter 12x. Make sure you warp her next to Pahn to talk to him, then steal the Thief staff from Tina - the only Thief staff in the game which you want.
  • Save some door keys. Some late chapters will require door keys from you, including the final chapter with 6 locked doors.
  • Try to use as many units as you can. Until you have a better sized army, it's good to make the most use of them. If someone gets really good, use them. Mekkah made a pretty reliable tier list regarding that. Still, I ended up with a Tanya who got blessed with movement and speed, and I liked deploying her because she supported with Othin. Mareeta was my boss killer after Asvel, I used the Paragon Sword with her instead of Carrion.
  • Make sure you have one of your units captured by Chapter 21. Chapter 21x is the only gaiden chapter without fog of war and it only unlocks if somebody is captured. It has a lot of useful staves for the late chapters.
  • Skills are very useful. For example Wrath gives you guaranteed critical on counterattack with Othin or Brighton. For a long time Nanna will be your only unit with Charisma. Nihil can negate all skills on bosses. Paragon makes you grow like weed. And don't get me started on praising Astra.
  • Magic and Resistance is the same stat, making Ensorcel staff twice as good for you. You can go above 20 Mag to cast status staves on enemy units.

5add16dda0357_SupportBranch.png.fc7b7e76

https://www.fireemblemwod.com/ENG_fe5.htm

https://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/inventory/crusader-scrolls/

Edited by Garlyle