FE4 Adjacent Love Points Question

Draco

I'm playing FE4 for the first time and liking it a lot but there's some stuff that's confusing me with its mechanics, mostly the pairing up. I already decided my pairings, so what I'm doing is having Arden (shit pairing, I know) wait adjacent to Sylvia for the +5 love points, then having her dance for another +5 because they're adjacent, then having the refreshed Arden wait next to her for one last +5. Do I have this right? Will the third Wait still give love points or is it a 1 or 2 time thing and I'm just wasting my time? I'm in the middle of chapter 3 as of posting this.

Bonus question that hopefully isn't obvious, I'm gonna have to pair up Tiltyu (x Lewyn) and Bridget (x Lex) whenever I get them, is there an easy and headache free way to get them a lover quickly or am I just gonna have to haul ass to get it before my time is up?

Love points are only given by turn, not individual "wait" commands inputted lol. Sorry!

As for Brigid and Tiltyu, they start with a high love point base with several guys, just maybe avoid Tiltyu's conversation with Azel in chapter 4 (tho it is nice writing). You'll still need to keep them adjacent for some turns, but you've got the later half of Ch3 (up until 50 turns are up if you wanna spam them) and all of chapter 4 and 5 to get them to be lovers. Even if they become lovers on the very last turn before Sigurd talks to Aida and triggers the ending, it still counts.

What Rob said, it's only counted in turns the units spend next to each other.  If it wasn't, it'd be impossible to use Silvia or Adeen without them getting married to someone.

The thing you want to do to get units paired up is having them end their turns next to one another as often as possible.  And if you can, use the jealousy system.  It's difficult to do it in an efficient way unless it's between pairs that have high base love points (like Silvia x Levin) or they have conversations (like Lex x Ayra).

In terms of Tailtiu x Levin and Briggid x Lex, here's the rundown on the mathematics behind both pairs:

Tailtiu x Levin: They start with 120 love points, and gain +3 per turn.  To fall fully in love, they need 380 more love points.  With the base growth, that's almost 130 turns; just barely under the length of 3 chapters.  However, if they spend each turn next to each other, the growth raises to 8.  So they'd only need 47 turns with each other.  Be wary of Fury and Silvia, however, as they start off with 200 love points with him, both with a base love growth of +2, meaning they need only 150 turns to fall in love with Levin (which could happen easily since they both join in Chapter 2 with Levin).  This can be circumvented either by pairing up the girls or killing them off (don't worry, when Levin gets married to the right person, you can resurrect them with Claude's staff).

Briggid x Lex: A bit easier since Lex barely has to worry about getting paired with someone else.  However, you need to start cranking immediately, 'cuz the pair only start with a love base of 50.  Their +4 growths help, but that alone won't get them paired up in time unless you proc Briggid's appearance before turn 37 in Chapter 3 (requires 113 turns).  But adjacent, that gets lowered to just 50 turns.

In both cases, it's feasible to get them even if you go slowly through Chapter 3.  You just need to make absolute certain the pairs stick together as if they're glued together, and, if you can help it, pair the other girls sooner rather than later so that you don't have to worry about that.  Remember, each chapter lets you build love points for 50 turns, and after both Briggid and Tailtiu's recruitments you still have another 2 full chapters to prepare your pairings.  That's why you don't need to rush Chapter 3; you have 100 turns to get these couples paired, and they only need roughly 50 turns to get paired up.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. 

Getting Bridget paired might be harder than I thought though, I saved and savestated into a point where she's been archertrapped with low health, so it looks like I need to use the Valk staff on her.  Hopefully that doesn't jeopardize anything.

4 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

What Rob said, it's only counted in turns the units spend next to each other.  If it wasn't, it'd be impossible to use Silvia or Adeen without them getting married to someone.

The thing you want to do to get units paired up is having them end their turns next to one another as often as possible.  And if you can, use the jealousy system.  It's difficult to do it in an efficient way unless it's between pairs that have high base love points (like Silvia x Levin) or they have conversations (like Lex x Ayra).

In terms of Tailtiu x Levin and Briggid x Lex, here's the rundown on the mathematics behind both pairs:

Tailtiu x Levin: They start with 120 love points, and gain +3 per turn.  To fall fully in love, they need 380 more love points.  With the base growth, that's almost 130 turns; just barely under the length of 3 chapters.  However, if they spend each turn next to each other, the growth raises to 8.  So they'd only need 47 turns with each other.  Be wary of Fury and Silvia, however, as they start off with 200 love points with him, both with a base love growth of +2, meaning they need only 150 turns to fall in love with Levin (which could happen easily since they both join in Chapter 2 with Levin).  This can be circumvented either by pairing up the girls or killing them off (don't worry, when Levin gets married to the right person, you can resurrect them with Claude's staff).

Briggid x Lex: A bit easier since Lex barely has to worry about getting paired with someone else.  However, you need to start cranking immediately, 'cuz the pair only start with a love base of 50.  Their +4 growths help, but that alone won't get them paired up in time unless you proc Briggid's appearance before turn 37 in Chapter 3 (requires 113 turns).  But adjacent, that gets lowered to just 50 turns.

In both cases, it's feasible to get them even if you go slowly through Chapter 3.  You just need to make absolute certain the pairs stick together as if they're glued together, and, if you can help it, pair the other girls sooner rather than later so that you don't have to worry about that.  Remember, each chapter lets you build love points for 50 turns, and after both Briggid and Tailtiu's recruitments you still have another 2 full chapters to prepare your pairings.  That's why you don't need to rush Chapter 3; you have 100 turns to get these couples paired, and they only need roughly 50 turns to get paired up.

Whoa hold up

The +5 from being adjacent is in ADDITION to the base love growth? I always thought it superceeded the base love growth. Huh.

Also this isn't REALLY a concern, but pair Levin before you get Forsetti from Silesia castle or else he'll auto-marry Fury lol.

4 minutes ago, CappnRob said:

Whoa hold up

The +5 from being adjacent is in ADDITION to the base love growth? I always thought it superceeded the base love growth. Huh.

Also this isn't REALLY a concern, but pair Levin before you get Forsetti from Silesia castle or else he'll auto-marry Fury lol.

- Yeah, it is in addition, that's why putting them adjacent to each other for a long time makes them marry really fast.  It's how some people are able to get Finn to pair up with Briggid and Tailtiu (his base love growths with both is +10, so when he gets next to them he's earning +15 love points every turn; it's really the only way to get him paired up with one of them, because it's a tall order to get Briggid and Tailtiu on the field by turn 18).  I know, SF words it a little weirdly.  But the bonuses stack.  Yet still only by a turn-by-turn basis.

- I think you're forgetting that Levin's convo with Fury is separate from his event at the castle where he gets Forsetti.  As far as I remember, the only auto-marriage in the game is between Sigurd and Deirdre.  Levin's convo with Fury does instantly cause the two to fall in love, but I don't believe his visit to the castle does.

Still, it doesn't hurt to ere on the side of caution and make sure Levin gets spicy with Tailtiu before the march on Castle Silessia.  That chapter takes forever anyway, so I'm sure you'll just spend the required ~47 turns slogging through the map anyway.  Won't matter much if you don't care about AAAA rank/LTC.

2 hours ago, Draco said:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. 

Getting Bridget paired might be harder than I thought though, I saved and savestated into a point where she's been archertrapped with low health, so it looks like I need to use the Valk staff on her.  Hopefully that doesn't jeopardize anything.

As long as she's alive by the end of Gen 1, she'll have kids with whoever her lover is.  And her dying shouldn't remove her lover status, I don't think... unless somehow someone else gets with her lover in the time she's dead, though at that point it's uncharted territory for me.  Just Return-staff Claude ASAP and have him use the staff in the home base - that's the only way you can use it.

Though I don't think you'll have to worry in Lex's case.  He's around from the beginning, but his growths are slow if you don't actively try to pair him with others.  In most cases, it'll take him more than 225 turns to get with someone passively, and that's basically almost the entire allowable growth period in the 1st Gen (you have 250 turns total to get units paired up).  Only way you'd speed that up is if you accidentally have him wait near another girl who is unmarried.

9 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

- I think you're forgetting that Levin's convo with Fury is separate from his event at the castle where he gets Forsetti.  As far as I remember, the only auto-marriage in the game is between Sigurd and Deirdre.  Levin's convo with Fury does instantly cause the two to fall in love, but I don't believe his visit to the castle does.

It doesn't. I can confirm that. Lewyn only chats with his mom at the castle, nothing is said of love or Erinys. The couple didn't wed on my run until Lewyn triggered the Erinys convo.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer