Cristina Vee is not voicing Edelgard anymore

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something worth noting about the other character she said she's not reprising, Reina Kousaka; This character is in the movie Liz and the Blue Bird, which was released March 5 this year in English, and Vee did voice Reina there. The role is pretty small in that movie, though, just a few lines, so it might not be much to go off.

Edited by Florete

I did find it weird she was the only voice artist to talk about it back around E3 2018 which makes me thinks her lines were placeholders just for the trailer.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

That would've been quite some time ago though, wouldn't it? TH is only a little more than a month out from release. So either that Tweet is from months ago or Vee already did a lot of recording.

Yeah, they probably had her record her stuff well before the trailers were shown, possibly because she happened to be in the area when they needed someone and they figured "hey, Cristina could do it, ask if she's free". Voice acting for little gigs like that can happen just like that.

It really makes me sad to read this, Christina Vee's performance as Edelgard in the first trailer is what made me a black eagle and got me interested in the game to begin with. I hope she is doing fine and nothing serious/bad has happened in her personal life. 

Do we know who the new VA is for sure (and what are some previous works of hers)? As I didn't really realize it was a different VA back in February. 

Well, that's sad :( I wonder what happened.....

And hopefully whoever replaces her as Edelgard's voice would be just as good. Edelgard DESERVES a good voice actor.

That's upsetting, but I'm not surprised, Edel's voice in the Feb direct from what we heard sound quite different from what we had heard from Vee in the E3 trailer. Hopefully the reason for her replacement wasn't because of something bad happening to her or smth.

5 minutes ago, Johann said:

Yeah, they probably had her record her stuff well before the trailers were shown, possibly because she happened to be in the area when they needed someone and they figured "hey, Cristina could do it, ask if she's free". Voice acting for little gigs like that can happen just like that.

Then why are we just being told NOW? Why weren't we told sooner?

Sad for Vee as I found her via heroes as Lachesis/Raquesis and I've followed her via Digimon's Meiko. Honestly I'd like to see some of the VA's who debuted in heroes come on board for this game. Heroes has so many great VAs

Just now, Anacybele said:

because NDA. A lot of this stuff is kept hush hush within the VA and video game industry to avoid spoilers and leaks and the like. It sucks but it is what it is.

I get the feeling that there was some misunderstanding involved here. I assume Vee was a placeholder for the trailer and that Edelgard was never "her" role to begin with, which is why the voice director didn't mind casting someone else instead. Meanwhile, Vee didn't audition for Edelgard because she expected to be called back when voice recording for Three Houses started properly, but she wasn't.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Because nobody asked before now.

Kira Buckland, the voice actress for Eirika and Katarina, and other characters like NieR's 2B, Tales of Zestiria's Edna, etc., has a pretty good write-up on this kind of scenario (Voice acting announcements, NDAs, etc.), for those out of curiosity. I bolded the text that is most important.

http://voiceacting.boards.net/thread/1004/ndas-why-important

So when CAN you talk about your involvement in something? As a general rule, wait until the project is out and released in the English-speaking market, unless a cast list is officially released earlier than that OR you receive permission from the client that it is okay to announce your involvement. Bear in mind these two caveats:
- Make sure your character is released! In video games, characters may be recorded early for the purposes of DLC or later implementation in the game. If the game is already out, but your particular character hasn't been released yet, you can be considered as breaking NDA for leaking the fact that the character is or may be coming to the roster.
- Make sure it's actually your voice. 95% of the time, it will be...but unfortunately, sometimes an actor will record an entire character, the client will later decide it's not quite what they have in mind, and they will bring in someone else later to replace all of the dialogue. Because the original actor completed the session and got paid for it, they will often have no idea they were recast. For example, I saw a game I recorded for get released and was excited to announce my character...but thankfully before I said anything, I looked up gameplay videos only to find my character was recast to a friend of mine (through no fault of my own - we had a great session, but the client decided to go in a different direction after the fact--it happens!), and I had no idea. I'm sure glad I looked it up before saying anything, because how embarrassing would it be to announce that you play a certain role only to find out that you...actually don't after all?

Wow, I had no idea voice actors were treated so poorly. They can just be brought on as placeholders and then thrown out like garbage at any time? And they can record a character's entire dialogue and then just get dropped like a hot tamale later without being told? That is cruel. If I was one of those VAs, I'd feel pissed that all the hard work I did was for nothing. No wonder some VAs went on strike and all.

Also, this doesn't make sense financially for the game devs if they actually paid for these recordings. Why pay for something and then not use it in the end? You're just losing money. Auditions are a thing too. They'd find just the VA they're looking for this way without losing money.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, User name said:

So iam rewatching direct footage and she does sounds A bit like Tara platt like @BZL8 said, but i also think it could be Alexis Tipton.

Alexis Tipton and Tara Platt are both great actresses in my opinion, I'd be pretty happy if it turns out to be one of them.

Still feel bad for Christina Vee, she was obviously really exited about voicing Edelgard.

17 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

I'm sure glad I looked it up before saying anything, because how embarrassing would it be to announce that you play a certain role only to find out that you...actually don't after all?

Yeeeeehhhhhh thats a case allright ,well atleast we HAVEN'T heard that much of Cristina as Edelgard,so we cant really say that she would be better or worse...it still suck because she has great range,and she is great VA in general.

On side note i now pitch Kira as Edelagard.

Kira DOES sound a bit kinda like Tara platt actually.

Edited by User name

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Wow, I had no idea voice actors were treated so poorly. They can just be brought on as placeholders and then thrown out like garbage at any time? And they can record a character's entire dialogue and then just get dropped like a hot tamale later without being told? That is cruel. If I was one of those VAs, I'd feel pissed that all the hard work I did was for nothing. No wonder some VAs went on strike and all.

Also, this doesn't make sense financially for the game devs if they actually paid for these recordings. Why pay for something and then not use it in the end? You're just losing money.

The SAG-AFTRA strike was more due to payment (residuals) and workplace health safety (vocal stress) reasons and less the reasons you listed above. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_video_game_voice_actor_strike 

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, this doesn't make sense financially for the game devs if they actually paid for these recordings. Why pay for something and then not use it in the end? You're just losing money.

It is what it is I suppose. The acting world is a cruel one to be sure. Hell the entertainment industry in general is just not fun. Put in all that work into something and you don't get any acknowledgment for it sometimes cause in the end of the day you're not one in the spotlight. Just don't give up on your 'one more time' or you'll become unhappy.

Hooray for vocaloid references!!!

Edited by Ottservia

2 minutes ago, BZL8 said:

The SAG-AFTRA strike was more due to payment (residuals) and workplace health safety (vocal stress) reasons and less the reasons you listed above. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_video_game_voice_actor_strike

Well, okay, but my point still stands. I think it's a shitty way to treat the people you're hiring.

I would like Tara Platt as Edelgard as I really enjoyed her as Zero in Drakengard 3 which is one of my favorite female characters in video games. 

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

It is what it is I suppose. The acting world is a cruel one to be sure. Hell the entertainment industry in general is just not fun. Put in all that work into something and you don't get any acknowledgment for it sometimes cause in the end of the day you're not one in the spotlight. Just don't give up on your 'one more time' or you'll become unhappy.

I always knew that working in the entertainment industry is a quite hard line of work, but I really never new how psychologically hard and tiring it can be.