Serenes Forest Emblem (Proof of Concept)

Von Ithipathachai

5 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The closest thing to giving a weapon the Mercy Skill that I think you can do natively in SRPG Studio is make every hit reduce a target's HP to 1 and deal no damage if its HP is already at 1, i.e. the Hel tome in FE4.Β  That could be very broken against boss enemies.

Might be better to just give Rezzy a 1 Might tome in addition to the regular Thunder tome for weakening then.Β  Also, we may want to remove my extra crit skill as not to steal kills accidentally, maybe it make it extra hit rate instead or something like Charm.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And even Jagen doesn't really belong here with brokenly powerful statboosters in 1&3 to salvage him there, and forged effective pokey sticks and smashy mallets in SD.

When Jagen himself doesn't fit the distinction of a Jagen in a "Jagen orΒ Oifey" scenario, you know there's a problem.

Oh, nice, it's done! I'll have to get around to playing it once exams are done.

As for a portrait, I have no artistic experience, so I can't really provide anything, I'm afraid.Β 

I'm OK with just a recolored portrait,Β especially considering I'm going to look nothing like my in-game representation. If I had to pick something, I'd probably say Lyn's portrait with Erk's hair color, maybe with red clothing as well. But honestly, I don't have too much of a preference. Whatever's easiest for you.

8 hours ago, Rezzy said:

Also, we may want to remove my extra crit skill as not to steal kills accidentally, maybe it make it extra hit rate instead or something like Charm.

Bishops, Sages, and Druids have Critical +15 as a Class Skill just like Swordmasters, Sentinels, Berserkers, Snipers, and Rogues.Β  The reason for this is so that promoting to Bishop/Sage/Druid has the same net advantage as promoting to Mage Knight.Β  It was the best thing I could come up with.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DpCprIwrt4DOAkUm08deKkryBbZVD62C4M5p_hMczn4/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet containing the current class data for Serenes Forest Emblem.Β  If you look on the Class Balancing sheet, you can see my reasoning for giving certain classes certain abilities.

Maybe Critical +15 on Bishop/Sage/Druid could be changed to Performance +5, which would give Hit +5, Avoid +5, and Critical +5.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

22 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Bishops, Sages, and Druids have Critical +15 as a Class Skill just like Swordmasters, Sentinels, Berserkers, Snipers, and Rogues.Β  The reason for this is so that promoting to Bishop/Sage/Druid has the same net advantage as promoting to Mage Knight.Β  It was the best thing I could come up with.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DpCprIwrt4DOAkUm08deKkryBbZVD62C4M5p_hMczn4/edit?usp=sharing

This is the spreadsheet containing the current class data for Serenes Forest Emblem.Β  If you look on the Class Balancing sheet, you can see my reasoning for giving certain classes certain abilities.

Maybe Critical +15 on Bishop/Sage/Druid could be changed to Performance +5, which would give Hit +5, Avoid +5, and Critical +5.

Okay, that makes sense.Β  It still might be a good idea to remove Bane, since random skills never proc when you want them to.

I gave the demo a play. I'm not a regular here, so I won't talk about the story.

• In terms of gameplay,Β combat was largely simple. Throw the dragon at everything. Everyone else could generally severely damage the enemies, but the dragon just killed them in one hit.
  • Forcing the player to choose what units to deploy as soon as the first chapter was a bit harsh, but I assume that's just a placeholder to show off all units who have been submitted to the game.Β 
  • The moving boss with a killer bow did come as a surprise to me, and with the high chance to kill most of my units in one hit, I'd say it's a bit too harsh for Chapter 1. I get you can't really have a stationary bow knight, though.
  • Giving the Jeigan a physic staff while having to earn a heal staff was a bit strange, in my book. I'd swap the two around.Β Β 
  • I missed the second village. Getting there on foot seems to be an impossible task.

The chapter mightn't have been the best chapter, but it was still enjoyable to play.Β I'm interested to see where new Serenes EmblemΒ goes next. Good luck!

1 minute ago, Darrman said:

I gave the demo a play. I'm not a regular here, so I won't talk about the story.

• In terms of gameplay,Β combat was largely simple. Throw the dragon at everything. Everyone else could generally severely damage the enemies, but the dragon just killed them in one hit.
  • Forcing the player to choose what units to deploy as soon as the first chapter was a bit harsh, but I assume that's just a placeholder to show off all units who have been submitted to the game.Β 
  • The moving boss with a killer bow did come as a surprise to me, and with the high chance to kill most of my units in one hit, I'd say it's a bit too harsh for Chapter 1. I get you can't really have a stationary bow knight, though.
  • Giving the Jeigan a physic staff while having to earn a heal staff was a bit strange, in my book. I'd swap the two around.Β Β 
  • I missed the second village. Getting there on foot seems to be an impossible task.

The chapter mightn't have been the best chapter, but it was still enjoyable to play.Β I'm interested to see where new Serenes EmblemΒ goes next. Good luck!

Yeah...Β  Balancing Therians and Manaketes is something I'm still trying to figure out.

The final version of the chapter will probably only give you about 6-7 units and force you to use only those.Β  And I would prefer not to give players Manakete access in the first chapter.

I mainly gave Rezzy a Physic staff so she could flex her higher Staff rank.Β  15 uses should be plenty for a single chapter affair like this demo, but with more chapters added I figure players migh want to conserve those.

You are intended to use Kat to reach the second House, just for this demo.Β  The final version of this map will probably decrease the quantity and Level of the enemies (including the boss) and move the Thief going after it further away, giving you more time to reach it.Β  The House in question gives a Dracoshield, which you're supposed to give to a tanky unit so they can soak up a Killer Bow hit more easily.

Thanks for giving this a try!

1. Wait, I can make my own portrait?!
2. I look oh so very genki.Β  I mean, it's a little ironic given my crappy RL health, but I'm amused!

19 minutes ago, eclipse said:

1. Wait, I can make my own portrait?!
2. I look oh so very genki.Β  I mean, it's a little ironic given my crappy RL health, but I'm amused!

If you could make or get ahold of a GBA-style self-portrait, that would be grand.

Admittedly the default SRPG Studio portrait used for you doesn't have quite as much armor as it should, since your class is a kind of weird Lance/Axe Armor hybrid, but the hairstyle and expression were so similar to those of your avatar that I just could not pass it up.

6 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If you could make or get ahold of a GBA-style self-portrait, that would be grand.

Admittedly the default SRPG Studio portrait used for you doesn't have quite as much armor as it should, since your class is a kind of weird Lance/Axe Armor hybrid, but the hairstyle and expression were so similar to those of your avatar that I just could not pass it up.

I like my portrait; it's cute.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I like my portrait; it's cute.

Thanks.Β  I knew I needed one with a big red ponytail.

But you too will eventually need a GBA-style portrait for the finished game.

@JoshiiΒ Perhaps you could try PM'ing some more people the Discord server link?

10 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Are you going to be super-strict about the colors in the portrait and all?Β  What size should I make it?

Also, if there's a time skip, you'll need to give me relative ages.Β  I'm not the best at making the same person at two different ages, but it'll be a fun challenge.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Thanks.Β  I knew I needed one with a big red ponytail.

But you too will eventually need a GBA-style portrait for the finished game.

@JoshiiΒ Perhaps you could try PM'ing some more people the Discord server link?

I'm pretty bad at making sprites, or art in general.Β  See my avatar here for a display of my lack of skill.

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

Are you going to be super-strict about the colors in the portrait and all?Β  What size should I make it?

Also, if there's a time skip, you'll need to give me relative ages.Β  I'm not the best at making the same person at two different ages, but it'll be a fun challenge.

I would like your portrait to follow GBA color limitations for the sake of authenticity.Β  It should be in an 80 x 96 box, but it won't need talking or blinking frames.

I doubt there'll be a time skip at this point.Β  But if plans change, I'll let you know.

2 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I would like your portrait to follow GBA color limitations for the sake of authenticity.Β  It should be in an 80 x 96 box, but it won't need talking or blinking frames.

I doubt there'll be a time skip at this point.Β  But if plans change, I'll let you know.

Last question for now: How old should this character appear to be?

On 6/6/2019 at 11:08 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

Don't let the thread title fool you, we still have room for up to 40 characters

...need a hand?

i can make some mug for myself, but i'd like to know wich classes are available first, and if there's the need of secondary background stories.

if it's also possible to add GBA battle sprites and/or change palette colors for the SRPG Studio presets, let me know.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm not sure if it matters.Β  However old you are IRL, I guess?

So, old enough to know better? So if I have no artistic skills, can I get the mug-shots by brandishing my axe in public and going to prison?

Spoiler

Realizing snark was a lot more suited to the prior username.

Incidentally, has anyone ever made a sprite of Nolan except with sideburns and Grigori Rasputin-tier glare issues? Asking for a friend.

12 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I'm pretty bad at making sprites, or art in general.Β  See my avatar here for a display of my lack of skill.

Seeing your art thread, I think otherwise.

-------------

@Von IthipathachaiΒ Yeah, I'll try to PM more people for the Discord group!

Now that we're on topic, PM me your Discord if you want to join in on it.

Β 

1 hour ago, Joshii said:

Seeing your art thread, I think otherwise.

-------------

@Von IthipathachaiΒ Yeah, I'll try to PM more people for the Discord group!

Now that we're on topic, PM me your Discord if you want to join in on it.

Β 

My Discord is Rezzy#4402, if it's needed for anything.

Link to Discord, link shouldn't expire:Β [REDACTED]

EDIT: Link removed to limit Discord members to those involved with the project.

Edited by Sire
Link Removed

7 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'm not sure if it matters.Β  However old you are IRL, I guess?

Old enough to be the mother of a lot of members on this site.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Old enough to be the mother of a lot of members on this site.

Even me?