Serenes Forest Emblem (Proof of Concept)

Von Ithipathachai

This looks pretty cool.

I'm interested in joiningΒ (although I don't have Discord, not sure if that's an issue) - do I just post details for the character I want to put into the game on here?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, anti-realist said:

This looks pretty cool.

I'm interested in joiningΒ (although I don't have Discord, not sure if that's an issue) - do I just post details for the character I want to put into the game on here?

The ''High-Members'' should fill you in for more details. While you're at it, you should check the first thread:

Β 

23 hours ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

The ''High-Members'' should fill you in for more details. While you're at it, you should check the first thread:

It seems it falls to me to explain.

Image result for hit blunt gif

Β 

On 6/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, anti-realist said:

So, like...I can't say what thread to post in, man. Maybe it's this one, maybe its the one in concepts, it's whatever dude, you gotta as Von or Joshii or som'in, because, like, my answer is just an illusion man. People have asked for their character to have, like, certain names and classes and reclasses and personalities and stuff.
I think it'd be far out to go with the name and personality that you are most known for on the forum, my dude, 'cause, like, the whole thing is kinda like one big in-joke, man.
You could even ask to be a boss if you wanted 'cause like good and evil are both needed for a story dude, it's like in the Lord of Rings where Boromir throws the GandalfΒ into Mount Doom.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

You could even ask to be a boss if you wanted 'cause like good and evil are both needed for a story dude, it's like in the Lord of Rings where Boromir throws the GandalfΒ into Mount Doom.

You've given me a very good idea.

Β 

13 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Hey, do I have to have SRPG Studio to run this? I downloaded it, unzipped it, and the game file is an ini for some reason...

Huh?

There should be a game.exe file for you to run.Β  It should look like a blue ball with a pair of crossed swords.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Would I be able to ask a kind soul who's good at making sprites to spritify me?

let's see...i'll take this as base model:

03gxSld.png

Β 

and here's the sprite version.Β i hope it's good enough:

rezzy-sprite.png

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

Would I be able to ask a kind soul who's good at making sprites to spritify me?

Well, it's not going to be me. Sorry.

However, there's something that I wanted to point out: I remembered that some time ago (1/2 years) a guy made a program for easy Gba-Portraits. It's idea is simple: ChooseΒ a Hair, Body and Face from any of the existent GBA-Portraits and make a new one. Example: Fae with Hawkeye body. You could also change colors and see a preview of your portrait as a class.

The only thing I don't know is about the Color Scheme and Portrait Height, but you should be able to ''mold'' them afterwards. Anyway, it should be of some help (maybe not to you, but someone else).

(Also, please note that I'm only talking about it. I do not have the license of the author or something)Β 

Anyway, this seems to be the LatestΒ Version of that Program. It was made by TheFlyingMinotaur:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8x4hyy/fire_emblem_portrait_maker_now_with_more_sprites/

Β 

20 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

03gxSld.png

Β 

rezzy-sprite.png

We're using GBA Fire Emblem-style portraits (like your avatar's), so I don't think that's going to work.Β  Sorry.Β  There is a GBA-style Titania portrait made by Nickt, but I don't know if it's free to use.Β  You'd also have to edit it to wear a dress.

I may have to make some users' portraits for them like I did for Fiver.

19 minutes ago, BergelomeuSantos said:

Well, it's not going to be me. Sorry.

However, there's something that I wanted to point out: I remembered that some time ago (1/2 years) a guy made a program for easy Gba-Portraits. It's idea is simple: ChooseΒ a Hair, Body and Face from any of the existent GBA-Portraits and make a new one. Example: Fae with Hawkeye body. You could also change colors and see a preview of your portrait as a class.

The only thing I don't know is about the Color Scheme and Portrait Height, but you should be able to ''mold'' them afterwards. Anyway, it should be of some help (maybe not to you, but someone else).

(Also, please note that I'm only talking about it. I do not have the license of the author or something)Β 

Anyway, this seems to be the LatestΒ Version of that Program. It was made by TheFlyingMinotaur:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/8x4hyy/fire_emblem_portrait_maker_now_with_more_sprites/

Β 

CharacterCreator itself is not good for making the kind of authentic 16-color GBA portraits I'd like to use.Β  However, its individual assets (i.e. the portrait pieces) are very good for splicing once they've been recolored properly.

53 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

03gxSld.png

Β 

rezzy-sprite.png

Β 

21 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

We're using GBA Fire Emblem-style portraits (like your avatar's), so I don't think that's going to work.Β  Sorry.Β  There is a GBA-style Titania portrait made by Nickt, but I don't know if it's free to use.Β  You'd also have to edit it to wear a dress.

CharacterCreator itself is not good for making the kind of authentic 16-color GBA portraits I'd like to use.Β  However, its individual assets (i.e. the portrait pieces) are very good for splicing once they've been recolored properly.

Ah, that's too bad, but I appreciate the effort.Β  If that's too much work, you could always use L'Arachel as a base and make her a red head.

10 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

if it's about image size and/or number of colors, those can be easily edited. i just need to know the exact sizes of the images you need, then i canΒ edit them myself( i honestly thought SRPG Studio had way more freedom with that ).

the sprites of KH that i used before were also from GBA.

2 hours ago, Fenreir said:

if it's about image size and/or number of colors, those can be easily edited. i just need to know the exact sizes of the images you need, then i canΒ edit them myself( i honestly thought SRPG Studio had way more freedom with that ).

Technically there aren't any restrictions on what kind of portraits you can use with SRPG Studio, I just thought using GBA-style portraits would add more consistency since avatars change so frequently.

The portrait itself should take up most of a 96 x 80 box.Β  I'll add more blank space to it for use in SRPG Studio later.

3 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Technically there aren't any restrictions on what kind of portraits you can use with SRPG Studio, I just thought using GBA-style portraits would add more consistency since avatars change so frequently.

The portrait itself should take up most of a 96 x 80 box.Β  I'll add more blank space to it for use in SRPG Studio later.

i agree on that, especially because from what i've seen, even the default battle sections are made with sprites as well, so it makes sense to have everything in 2d when it comes to characters.

anyway, i took this as reference before, so i tried to work with it a bit more:

kI9Q1hP.png?1Β  Β  Β a1.pngΒ  Β  Β a2.png

Β 

i changedΒ the hair on AnriΒ in order to fit the borders with the pixels, but as you can see they both fit perfectly in the mug preset.

for now i'll leave the edited avatar versions with default mug sizes here, just in case:

anri-edit.pngΒ  Β  Β rezzy-edit.png

Hopefully you ain't going in all that armor..

Also, here's the obligatory beach episode, and before the game is even released..suck it anime industry!

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

So I just thought I'd ask (seeing as I'm currently shopping for a new computer), what sort of specs I should need to run this (finished product as much as the demo). Because I kind of intend to make that a factor.

As long as your computer runs Windows you should be fine.

Played it thrice. Had fun with it. I know it's a demo and is more to show off features than to represent the final product, and I treated it as such. Having to pick out characters as early as the first map was encouragement to try out different combinations. Everyone seems to be overpowered, but again, I expect balancing to occur in the final version.

To provide some general observations/first impressions:

- I personally preferred the NES styled keyboard controls to the mouse. Maybe it's because I'm playing on a laptop and thus it was pretty easy for the cursor toΒ swipe awayΒ of what I was aiming at, but the Z, X, and arrow keys felt more natural to me.

- While I did get used to them, IΒ mixed up my own units with the enemy early on. This did lead to the someΒ hilarious situations of me moving my units forward, only to realize some of them weren't mine.

- Some animations felt pretty stiff, such asΒ knights, Eclipse, and dragon riders. Others moved more smoothly, such as the magic users, shapeshifters, and archers.

- The great lance looked a little too huge to the point that I chuckled at how appropriate the name was. The slim lance was also larger than I thought it should be.

- The banhammer got a chuckle out of me as well.

- The handaxe animation is something I'm expecting to be improved in the final version of the game.

- I like the class designs in this game. They look fitting.

- I liked how the weapon used in battle changed depending on what was equipped.

- I'm expecting a few more dodge and critical animations in the full version of the game. The shamans dodge animation was cool, while others were nonexistent.

- I like how the transformations are like FE3's, where you have to use an item to transform, but while in dragon/cat form, nothing else is used up. It was encouragement to time transforming just right and to get the most out of the unitΒ each turn, which is type of mechanic I greatly enjoy.

- ItΒ took a while to get used to Rezzy being a strong combat unit. I'm not used to healers being front line fighters early on.

- Acacia died because I underestimated Pengauis's stupid killer bow. Seriously, f*ck that boss. Anyway, I noted that he didn't have a death quote, which honestly felt anticlimactic.

- Kat felt a little to inaccurate for my liking. Granted, that's a complaint I have with most axe users in Fire Emblem, but it still applied here. The only use I saw for her was getting to the east village early.

- Ana also felt like she took a considerable amount of damage, but that might just be my defense-focused playstyle speaking rather than a fault of the game itself.

- A way of telling what kind of bonuses the shapeshifters would gain from transforming would be nice to see. As well as knowing how much longer they have before transforming back.

- Showing current EXPΒ on the map would also be nice.

- As well as showing debuffs, since I really didn't notice anyΒ affects.

- The tone is given off right from the start, and I had fun with the writing provided thus far. I wouldn't mind if the rest of the game is this goofy, with some jokes about typical Fire Emblem mechanics thrown in.

All in all, I had a fun time with this. Some of the criticisms/suggestions are things I'm expecting to be ironed out in the final product anyway, so I'd say you're off to a great start!

33 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

- Acacia died because I underestimated Pengauis's stupid killer bow. Seriously, f*ck that boss. Anyway, I noted that he didn't have a death quote, which honestly felt anticlimactic.

Hey, Hawkwing! I was hoping you'd find your way over to this project.

Strange to hear that. Upon defeat, Pengaius should say, "I'm melting! MELTING!" Are you sure you didn't skip it on accident?