Jump to content
Von Ithipathachai

Serenes Forest Emblem (Proof of Concept)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Hawkwing said:

- I personally preferred the NES styled keyboard controls to the mouse. Maybe it's because I'm playing on a laptop and thus it was pretty easy for the cursor to swipe away of what I was aiming at, but the Z, X, and arrow keys felt more natural to me.

- While I did get used to them, I mixed up my own units with the enemy early on. This did lead to the some hilarious situations of me moving my units forward, only to realize some of them weren't mine.

- Some animations felt pretty stiff, such as knights, Eclipse, and dragon riders. Others moved more smoothly, such as the magic users, shapeshifters, and archers.

- The handaxe animation is something I'm expecting to be improved in the final version of the game.

- I liked how the weapon used in battle changed depending on what was equipped.

- I'm expecting a few more dodge and critical animations in the full version of the game. The shamans dodge animation was cool, while others were nonexistent.

- It took a while to get used to Rezzy being a strong combat unit. I'm not used to healers being front line fighters early on.

- Kat felt a little to inaccurate for my liking. Granted, that's a complaint I have with most axe users in Fire Emblem, but it still applied here. The only use I saw for her was getting to the east village early.

- A way of telling what kind of bonuses the shapeshifters would gain from transforming would be nice to see. As well as knowing how much longer they have before transforming back.

- As well as showing debuffs, since I really didn't notice any affects.

  • If you open up the game's configuration settings file in Notepad, you should be able to see what key is mapped to what and change it as you please.  This game is going to be pretty similar to Sanctaea Chronicles (my main fangame project) in terms of classes and mechanics.  I plan to eventually write an instruction manual for that game; if needed I can make one for Serenes Forest Emblem, too.
  • If distinguishing your own units from the enemy's is giving you trouble, there should be a "Show Unit Symbol" option in Config that adds colored circles under the units to show whose army they're in, like the Tellius games do.
  • Some animations may move a little more stiffly than others due to them being custom animations.  If possible I'd like to see if I can change animation smoothness somehow.
  • Most classes use SRPG Studio's default animation data and I'm not sure how I can make them look better.  The best thing I could probably do is add some spin to the throwing axe animations.  Additional dodge and Critical Hit animations are not planned.
  • ?????
  • I still need to give Rezzy a personal tome with 1 Mt so that she can weaken enemies more easily without killing them.
  • Kat's accuracy issues may be due to having Gamble as a Personal Skill.  SRPG Studio should have an option for a Skills menu if you want to remove it, but I have yet to experiment with it.
  • You should be able to see transformation bonuses before you transform with a Beaststone/Dragonstone.
  • I may have forgotten to mention this, but you can use the Left and Right arrow keys to toggle between three different windows on the Unit Menu: stats, Supports/Ailments/growth rates, and Weapon Ranks.  If somebody gets debuffed, look under the word "Ailments" for a blue arrow pointing down.

Thanks for your feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Hey, Hawkwing! I was hoping you'd find your way over to this project.

Took my erratic exploration of the site long enough. Lets ignore that I've been planning on joining as a boss for nearly a month now, but kept forgetting to do so because of life shenanigans.

20 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Strange to hear that. Upon defeat, Pengaius should say, "I'm melting! MELTING!" Are you sure you didn't skip it on accident?

I'm talking about Acacia's lack of a death quote. I saw Pengaius's just fine. I was surprised that the boss moved, and then they got a crit. Acacia lack of a death quote made the whole thing feel anticlimatic, is all.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If you open up the game's configuration settings file in Notepad, you should be able to see what key is mapped to what and change it as you please.  This game is going to be pretty similar to Sanctaea Chronicles (my main fangame project) in terms of classes and mechanics.  I plan to eventually write an instruction manual for that game; if needed I can make one for Serenes Forest Emblem, too.

I looked through the configuration on the game itself, though I haven't looked through the one on notepad. I didn't mind the default controls. It took a little getting used to, but I got them down by the second attempt.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

If distinguishing your own units from the enemy's is giving you trouble, there should be a "Show Unit Symbol" option in Config that adds colored circles under the units to show whose army they're in, like the Tellius games do.

I see. I'll be sure to turn that on next time I try out the demo.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Some animations may move a little more stiffly than others due to them being custom animations.  If possible I'd like to see if I can change animation smoothness somehow.

That makes sense. I understand this is more to show that progress is being made with the project, so I can forgive the initial stiffness. That's something that I'm expecting to be improved by the final product.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Most classes use SRPG Studio's default animation data and I'm not sure how I can make them look better.  The best thing I could probably do is add some spin to the throwing axe animations.  Additional dodge and Critical Hit animations are not planned.

I see. The dodge animations are fine as is, I just wish they had a little more flair or were more obvious that the unit dodged at points. Critical hits just felt anticlimatic, which is why I brought it up.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

?????

As in, I noticed that even if the classes were different, the iron swords were the same, and if I equipped my unit with a different weapon, then it would appear differently in battle. Essentially, I'm glad this isn't going the GBA route in regards to how it handled a unit equipping different versions of the same weapon type.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I still need to give Rezzy a personal tome with 1 Mt so that she can weaken enemies more easily without killing them.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't know if she's the jeigan, but having them be a healer is a nice way of handling the archetype so that they still have a use even when they fall behind combat-wise.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Kat's accuracy issues may be due to having Gamble as a Personal Skill.  SRPG Studio should have an option for a Skills menu if you want to remove it, but I have yet to experiment with it.

That makes sense. It might not be a bad idea to implement the ability to add and remove skills.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You should be able to see transformation bonuses before you transform with a Beaststone/Dragonstone.

I know. I'm just saying that it would be nice to know what those bonuses are on, say, the preparation screen. I didn't know how powerful Crimson or Nym when testing them out for the first time.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I may have forgotten to mention this, but you can use the Left and Right arrow keys to toggle between three different windows on the Unit Menu: stats, Supports/Ailments/growth rates, and Weapon Ranks.  If somebody gets debuffed, look under the word "Ailments" for a blue arrow pointing down.

Ah, so that's what the debuffs affect. I remember going to that screen when experimenting with the controls, but didn't give much thought to it initially because I expected that the demo would be short enough that nothing much would happen there.

19 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Thanks for your feedback!

You're welcome! Good luck with the rest of the project, and I look forward to seeing any updates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I can't access it, since it's zipped. Can someone help me with that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Hey, I can't access it, since it's zipped. Can someone help me with that?

What operating system are you using?  Windows or Mac?

If you're using Windows, then I don't see why you can't just open up the .zip file by double-clicking it in File Explorer, then double-clicking the game executable to prompt extraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I got it to work. It's pretty good!

My main issue is that the battle animations are a bit stiff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After much fuss with a computer I wasn't at all used to, I think I may have this worked out. Shame I'm apparently terrible with technology.

Edit: Also I feel really guilty about slipping on the keys and getting Nym killed due to a failure to physic him. (I feel like I just accidentally played Thracia), I was planning to try again with the characters/users I didn't fit anyway... so this gives me an excuse.

Edited by The Roger The Paladin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was thinking: considering the amount of work done so far, both in game development and sprites, wouldn't be better to change the project name to something different yet similar to avoid getting "cease and desist"-ed to oblivion and beyond by Nintendo/IntSys, in case this game gets some popularity?

for example, something like "Serenes Sigil", or anything else that would be a good reference to FE, just not too straight.

 

also, while we're at it: @Von Ithipathachai in terms of sprites quality, you don't mind about the current border line colors, or you want to have everyone with the same setup?

i'm asking because i can change the border colors in order to have everyone match the same format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i was thinking: considering the amount of work done so far, both in game development and sprites, wouldn't be better to change the project name to something different yet similar to avoid getting "cease and desist"-ed to oblivion and beyond by Nintendo/IntSys, in case this game gets some popularity?

for example, something like "Serenes Sigil", or anything else that would be a good reference to FE, just not too straight.

 

also, while we're at it: @Von Ithipathachai in terms of sprites quality, you don't mind about the current border line colors, or you want to have everyone with the same setup?

i'm asking because i can change the border colors in order to have everyone match the same format.

It never occurred to me that it would get banned by Nintendo, but after the Metroid and Pokemon fan games getting killed, I suppose it's a possibility.  Changing the name might let it fly under the radar a bit better, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i was thinking: considering the amount of work done so far, both in game development and sprites, wouldn't be better to change the project name to something different yet similar to avoid getting "cease and desist"-ed to oblivion and beyond by Nintendo/IntSys, in case this game gets some popularity?

for example, something like "Serenes Sigil", or anything else that would be a good reference to FE, just not too straight.

If we release it to the public maybe, but I think we will keep this to ourself.

Unless we want youtubers like Mangs to play through this. But I don't think that was ever the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It never occurred to me that it would get banned by Nintendo, but after the Metroid and Pokemon fan games getting killed, I suppose it's a possibility.  Changing the name might let it fly under the radar a bit better, I suppose.

 

5 hours ago, Fenreir said:

i was thinking: considering the amount of work done so far, both in game development and sprites, wouldn't be better to change the project name to something different yet similar to avoid getting "cease and desist"-ed to oblivion and beyond by Nintendo/IntSys, in case this game gets some popularity?

for example, something like "Serenes Sigil", or anything else that would be a good reference to FE, just not too straight.

 

also, while we're at it: @Von Ithipathachai in terms of sprites quality, you don't mind about the current border line colors, or you want to have everyone with the same setup?

i'm asking because i can change the border colors in order to have everyone match the same format.

If that's the case, we should change Espurr's name to something else.

I'd suggest my actual name, but it's kind of similar to another character in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once, for joke purposes I had the idea for a game called "Father" and it's sequel "Timesealed" playing off Mother/Earthbound. (you know, Mother Earth, Father Time)

What if we went the same route for naming? Like we call it the opposing thing to fire (Ice) and then a synonym for an Emblem (as suggested Sigil) to get the "Ice Sigil" (pun is a benefit).  Works all the time with pastiches.

8 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

 

If that's the case, we should change Espurr's name to something else.

I'd suggest my actual name, but it's kind of similar to another character in this game.

Could add the  "H" from hoodie (Espurrh) to make it "distinct". After all, if we take the attention away on the surface level, a character would likely be overlooked. Besides, you're not a Pokemon in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Could add the  "H" from hoodie (Espurrh) to make it "distinct". After all, if we take the attention away on the surface level, a character would likely be overlooked. Besides, you're not a Pokemon in the game.

That would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

 

If that's the case, we should change Espurr's name to something else.

I'd suggest my actual name, but it's kind of similar to another character in this game.

 

18 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Once, for joke purposes I had the idea for a game called "Father" and it's sequel "Timesealed" playing off Mother/Earthbound. (you know, Mother Earth, Father Time)

What if we went the same route for naming? Like we call it the opposing thing to fire (Ice) and then a synonym for an Emblem (as suggested Sigil) to get the "Ice Sigil" (pun is a benefit).  Works all the time with pastiches.

Could add the  "H" from hoodie (Espurrh) to make it "distinct". After all, if we take the attention away on the surface level, a character would likely be overlooked. Besides, you're not a Pokemon in the game.

You could change it to to just Esper.  I forget what class your character is, but it works for any magic class, since ESPer.  That way it has pretty much the same root word, but don't have to worry about copyright infringement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

 

You could change it to to just Esper.  I forget what class your character is, but it works for any magic class, since ESPer.  That way it has pretty much the same root word, but don't have to worry about copyright infringement.

That could work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say, if this were to ever get targeted out of copyright infringement, I consider our usernames to be among the least likely causes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, if this were to ever get targeted out of copyright infringement, I consider our usernames to be among the least likely causes.

Most of our names are either bizarre concepts, adjective-noun, things that aren't even words, or collections at random symbols that looks like a word. 

amd if we're trying to flip the bird at Nintendo's copyright team we could always pull a Kaga and call it Serenes Tear Ring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

It never occurred to me that it would get banned by Nintendo, but after the Metroid and Pokemon fan games getting killed, I suppose it's a possibility.  Changing the name might let it fly under the radar a bit better, I suppose.

2 hours ago, Nym said:

If we release it to the public maybe, but I think we will keep this to ourself.

Unless we want youtubers like Mangs to play through this. But I don't think that was ever the plan.

 

that's what worries me: the "Mario Royale" web browser game that was made by InfernoPlus has been taken down recently by Nintendo due to multiple reasons, and that was based on a NES game, with no profits involved. he even changed assets to avoid getting into more trouble(like being sued to death) and keep the game running, but in the end his fangame got taken down anyway.

we're using a software that has nothing to do with Nintendo and that's fine, but the sprites we're using are actually from IntSys(even Square Enix for some custom portraits), and i honestly don't know if a simple palette color change can make them safe to use(probably not), even if those can eventually get customized further.

changing the project name to something different yet similar would already make it a bit more safe.

if not Serenes Emblem, wich would be a way too obvious reference to FE, Serenia's Sigil could be alright. The Roger's idea was fine too, but i guess we want this game's theme to be mainly about this forum board. then again, it's not my own project and i only gave a small hand with some portraits so far, so i can only give suggestions.

in terms of graphics quality, we can either use the default sprites(the terrain tiles are quite crap to be honest, only the characters map/battle sprites are somewhat decent), or we can go the GBA/SNES way and take some risks. in the worst case, we could always change them back to the default ones later on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, since the game is more about the forums than what the forums are about, I'd think we can get some leeway on the matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I already posted this on Discord, but here's Rezzy's sprite in all it's crappy glory.

pmIlfNF.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Sigil of Serenia” sounds nice and poetic to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I think I already posted this on Discord, but here's Rezzy's sprite in all it's crappy glory.

pmIlfNF.png

Hey, did people want me to try to add shades to her to be more in line with my Titania avatar or would that be too out of place?

Edited by Rezzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...