Tales of Arise officially revealed.

Armagon

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, DragonFlames said:

Graces and Zestiria have similar problems in that their main casts aren't as good as some of the other Tales games, who had very colorful, very interesting characters. There are good ones in there, sure, but overall, I felt they were quite weak. Graces also has what I find the weakest combat system in the series.
I also found the stories in Graces and Zestiria to not be quite as impactful as, say, Berseria, Xillia 2 or Abyss.

Weirdly enough, Zestiria's one of my favorite stories, even if the characters are hit-or-miss.  It's partially why I'm so fond of Berseria.

On 6/8/2019 at 10:17 AM, Stroud said:

(snip)

Of the teams, Symphonia did Symphonia (which I didn't like), Abyss (which I adored), and Vesperia (haven't played it, but I like what I see so far).  Team Destiny did everything else, which includes two Tales games that didn't impress me (Graces and Hearts).  Interesting that they worked from Xillia on, though.  I felt that things improved starting from there.

Thanks for the info, that was fascinating!

I was ignoring all the speculation because it was just that. Now that this is true, I'm unfortunately still going to ignore it because it isn't on Switch. Though I haven't played Vesperia yet, so that is there to scratch my Tales itch when I want to.

I guess I was wrong then. Its quite strange that Namco followed up the ps3 graphics and the ps2 performance of Berseria with a really, really beautiful engine that probably required a lot of time, money, love and care. 

I'm not very sad about being wrong since more Tales is always a good thing. A very good thing. 

i've never been a fan of the Tales franchise since it never really inspired me much and i always had other RPGs to play anyway, but i have to be honest: this one looks really good.

if it's interesting enough, i might even end up buying it for the sake of trying something new.

My big hope (aside from wanting a Tales game where the gameplay clicks with me) is for the world to be as good as it looks. It looks gorgeous and it looks open. I'm hoping it's not empty. It'd be a really shame if a world that looked that good ended up having empty open world syndrome. I said the world gives off Xenoblade vibes and i hope Namco's taking a page from Monolith Soft's book in that regard.

I just saw the trailer and it looks like it's going to be unlike any other Tales game, which I like. The two characters they've shown, which I assume will be the protagonists, look really, really cool, too.
I'll be carefully optimistic, however. These days, I know better than to blindly trust trailers. Next thing you know, we have another Anthem situation where the devs are like "This is the game we're making?", though Japanese devs have been pretty good about that stuff.

7 hours ago, eclipse said:

Weirdly enough, Zestiria's one of my favorite stories, even if the characters are hit-or-miss.  It's partially why I'm so fond of Berseria.

If Zestiria got one thing absolutely right, it's the world. It has some of the most beautiful landscapes in any JRPG I've seen.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

My big hope (aside from wanting a Tales game where the gameplay clicks with me) is for the world to be as good as it looks. It looks gorgeous and it looks open. I'm hoping it's not empty. It'd be a really shame if a world that looked that good ended up having empty open world syndrome. I said the world gives off Xenoblade vibes and i hope Namco's taking a page from Monolith Soft's book in that regard.

If they do go open world, my biggest hope is that isn't generic Ubisoft open world. I will agree on the world looking beautiful, though.

The graphics in the title post look less anime likish, rather similar to Xenoblade, which does not have to be a bad thing all. 

Totally unrelated to that, but I have to bring this up by reading the Zestiria talk. 

At a conviction yesterday I faced two Ednas almost next to each other. Seeing one was already not expectable, but seeing two and that even within a very close distance was just hilarious. By the way the only Tales of cosplay I saw there. 

As for me she is the best this game has to offer which says that my opinion about this game is not the best.

But I am certain if the developers set Berseria as their measure, I am not worried about Arise at all. 

9 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

If they do go open world, my biggest hope is that isn't generic Ubisoft open world.

Oh, i doubt it. I do think it won't be true open world though. It'll be what i like to call open world-lite, where the areas are big but you can't go everywhere. Like, in this screenshot from the trailer

NZSKs6t.jpg

I've circled the parts where i don't believe you'll be allowed to access at all.

True open world is where you can go everywhere.

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh, i doubt it. I do think it won't be true open world though. It'll be what i like to call open world-lite, where the areas are big but you can't go everywhere. Like, in this screenshot from the trailer

NZSKs6t.jpg

I've circled the parts where i don't believe you'll be allowed to access at all.

True open world is where you can go everywhere.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't go for a true open world, honestly. So long as the world looks pretty, has stuff to do in it, and allows for decently paced story-progression, I'll be fine.
Basically, I wouldn't mind if the world was built like FFXII, Xillia, Xillia 2, Zestiria, and Berseria.

• 5 months later...

This is 2 months old at this point but nobody posted it, and it's relevant, not a necropost, so...

I can see the arc of the Alphen/Shionne romance arc from miles away:

Initial meeting in time of crisis, Shionne is cold and distant because of her curse

When Alphen can handle the burning sword, she realizes he can touch her without feeling pain

Some adventures with slow romance blooming

Alphen gets his pain back, angst because they can't touch anymore

More adventuring with angst

Finally, Shionne's curse is removed, and they can touch, and they confess their love.

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

I can see the arc of the Alphen/Shionne romance arc from miles away:

Initial meeting in time of crisis, Shionne is cold and distant because of her curse

When Alphen can handle the burning sword, she realizes he can touch her without feeling pain

Some adventures with slow romance blooming

Alphen gets his pain back, angst because they can't touch anymore

More adventuring with angst

Finally, Shionne's curse is removed, and they can touch, and they confess their love.

It would be the first time in a long while a Tales game had a genuine romance sub-plot. The last game that had one was either Hearts R or Graces f, depending on which of these came out last (Xillia doesn't ever go particularly explicit with it, Berseria is devoid of anything like that, and Zestiria at best is very, very vague about it).
I could actually see your ideas working, too.

25 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It would be the first time in a long while a Tales game had a genuine romance sub-plot. The last game that had one was either Hearts R or Graces f, depending on which of these came out last (Xillia doesn't ever go particularly explicit with it, Berseria is devoid of anything like that, and Zestiria at best is very, very vague about it).
I could actually see your ideas working, too.

I kinda liked Tales without it, since it was my least favorite aspect of the game.

But alas. . .if that's how it goes, I hope the writing's better.

(and no, this isn't a necro, since game release news updates stupidly slowly)

The wiki has some info:

Setting

The inhabitants of the planet Dahna have always revered Rena, the planet in the sky, as a land of the righteous and divine. However, the stories passed down across the generations have distorted the truth for the people of Dahna. Rena has ruled over Dahna for the past 300 years, pillaging the world beneath of its resources and its people of their dignity and freedom.

Astral energy (星霊力, Seireiryoku, "Star Spirit Power") resides in all living things. However only Renans are able to use this power in the form of astral artes (星霊術, Seireijutsu, "Star Spirit Artes") and when used the user's eyes briefly glow in blue. The torch-flame sword (炎の剣, Homura no Tsurugi) is a manifestation of Shionne's astral energy.

• Alphen (アルフェン, Arufen) - A mask-wearing man from Dahna who has lost his memories as well as his capability to feel pain. Borrowing the blazing sword from Shionne just after meeting her, he fights for his freedom from Rena.
  • Shionne (シオン, Shion) - A girl from Rena who brings the curse of thorns to whoever touches her. With an ulterior motive of her own, she allies herself with Alphen and fights against her own people.

6 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .and the setting is a huge turn-off.  It's going to take some insanely good writing to make this palatable.

Doesn't look all that different from Tales of Eternia or Tales of Symphonia. I don't see what the big problem is.

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

Doesn't look all that different from Tales of Eternia or Tales of Symphonia. I don't see what the big problem is.

Tales of Symphonia is one of my least favorite Tales games, so that should tell you something.

14 minutes ago, eclipse said:

. . .and the setting is a huge turn-off.  It's going to take some insanely good writing to make this palatable.

The characters concern me more than the setting- if by that you mean "world". The characters sound sooooooo cliche that I'd be hard-pressed to care.

The setting has a bigger chance of not being cartoonishly black-and-white, than the main duo painfully generic. Not the best chance, but a chance. 

But, this game could easily end up being "modernized open-ish world Tales gameplay, terrible plot, 8/10". 

7 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

At least Symphonia hides its two-worlds situation for about a third of the game, and even then neither side knowlingly intends to oppress the other. This sounds consciously evil vs. good and you'll know it from the start.

-Although ToS being my first Tales gives me something of a bias towards it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The characters concern me more than the setting- if by that you mean "world". The characters sound sooooooo cliche that I'd be hard-pressed to care.

The setting has a bigger chance of not being cartoonishly black-and-white, than the main duo painfully generic. Not the best chance, but a chance. 

But, this game could easily end up being "modernized open-ish world Tales gameplay, terrible plot, 8/10".

I'll give the developers a chance, since Velvet looked like a 10/10 edgelord trope.  The writing's improved, so maybe they'll pull it off (both characters and story).  But I won't hold my breath.