New Heroes Arrive: New Heroes (From a Future Past)

As expected, an Awakening banner to follow Naga's mythic banner. I like that they've started this trend of the Mythic/Legend hinting at the game/theme for the next New Heroes banners.

Probably just going to free pull Reds with my tickets, since I still have to dump all orbs into trying for a Bride Fjorm.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Hilda said:

I wonder if its a typo/misstranslation and its a during combat buff and not an actuall visible buff how it is described. but who knows!

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Infantry Breath is not a hone buff. It’s a Spur that gives a Breath effect similar to how Infantry Flash / Infantry Rush are Drives that give Blade effects.

Of course, I could be wrong if the JP text says something else, cause gently caress ENG having accurate descriptions right?

Oh yeah. My reading comprehension is horrible at late night. Thought it was a Hone/Fortify type buff.

Since you have to be adjacent, maybe it might work using Faye arranged in a T pr L formation with super tank teams. Faye can practically wall all ranged units off with Distant Def and Guard, shutting down their buffs and Specials, except like Ophelia and maybe SK!Alm. The super tank will be one of the limbs of the T or L that sticks out towards enemies, Faye will be behind the super tank at the T's or L's intersection, and there could be 1 or 2 M!Corrins/Kadens who will be next to Faye within two spaces of the super tank.

The formation is still vulnerable to Lunge and Ophelia as always, but maybe it might work against other stuff. M!Corrin and Kaden gives a shit ton of stats though and you might need a second Eir/Naga for scoring, so replacing one of them with Faye probably is not for everyone.

Edited by XRay

3 hours ago, Gregster101 said:

They both promote to Hero, which can use axes, so it’s not really out of the question, especially since Raven is an axe user in Heroes despite primarily being a sword user in FE7

Raven's an axe unit whose art has him with a sword. I'd prefer Axe Hero Severa and Bow Knight Inigo. I headcanon Olivia/Virion and it'd be nice to see him weild a bow. Severa's axe would be due to an underwhelming lack of female axe weilders in general, that AREN'T  seasonal.

I just realized something with Cynthia being in now and that is she could have a spoken line for pega-pony princess. I wonder if they'll be able to get her and Say'ri's English voice actress, Minae Noji or Stacy Okada as she was credited apparently, to reprise her role.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

Infantry Breath is not a hone buff. It’s a Spur that gives a Breath effect similar to how Infantry Flash / Infantry Rush are Drives that give Blade effects.

Of course, I could be wrong if the JP text says something else, cause gently caress ENG having accurate descriptions right?

Keep in mind my analysis is for AR. Everything is good in PvE and most things work in arena.

Infantry Breath’s issue is twofold; opportunity cost and positioning.

As I explained above, Infantry Breath is a spur buff. This means your support unit has to be right next to the tank to give the Breath effect. However, positioning is a luxury you are not always afforded in AR. You may need to keep your units within two spaces or even far away to avoid getting hit when baiting.

In addition, the existence of Breath heavily influences the build you bring. A build relying on Breath that doesn’t consistently get the Breath effect will suffer from consistency issues.

I largely consider Drives to be the best support skill in AR, since they work with anyone, can stack, and are immune to Panic. Reliability is a huge deal in a game like AR where you can’t afford to be at even a slight disadvantage.

Now, put that skill on a 5* exclusive red melee unit of all things, and you get the perfect bait skill. It looks good on the surface, but its weaknesses are subtle yet significant.

Oh jeez, I thought it was a hone.

Me, I am probably one of the biggest supporters of Drive usage in FEH anyway, considering Ward/Goad pretty much carried me for most of the first year of the game. I'd still say Nah's got other things going for her, but sheesh is this a skill that only works for specific builds and roles.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

Pretty much every Awakening character of value is already in the game, so it would be hard for them to add anyone without scraping the bottom of the barrel (but they should have picked Say'Ri, Flavia, Basilio, and Priam with Yen'Fay as the GHB).

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me at Priam. How can you consider a character who only exists for ONE (1) paralogue to be anything but the ABSOLUTE bottom of all the barrels. At least the other paralogue characters had more of a role in the world, heck most NPCs had more of a role than frickin' Priam. It's like picking a secret side character like Karla, except even Karla did some things in the Elibe lore and had connections with other characters.

It would be hard to find a more nothing character than Priam.

If there are no demotes with this banner that will be 3 out of 6 this year which is awful.

Awakening was the game that needed another banner the least besides Fates so very disappointing. Scraping the bottom of the barrel with the throwaway child characters when many important characters remain from older games. 

As far as character writing give me a Shakespeare sonnet over a cliche incoherent novel any day.  

No Fates or Awakening royals present; no duplicates at all. This should make lots of people happy. For me, it's orbs savings, which is great because I'm low on orbs anyway.

That armor design though. I can't decide whether it's more suited for space travel or an undersea expedition. 😀

7 hours ago, blazekick360 said:

Only thing is I’m used to seeing her with blue hair and they’ll probably give her brown

Agreed. And it looks to be that way in the obscured image of her in the trailer. Lucina will just have to go without her little sister in the FEHniverse 😢

20 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

As far as character writing give me a Shakespeare sonnet over a cliche incoherent novel any day.  

Out of all the characters on this banner the best written ones are Nah and Cynthia(and even then their character depth doesn’t even hold a candle to Severa, Lucina, Inigo, Owain, or Noire). Followed quickly by Yarne. Brady and Kjelle are just kinda there honestly.

3 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Raven's an axe unit whose art has him with a sword. I'd prefer Axe Hero Severa and Bow Knight Inigo. I headcanon Olivia/Virion and it'd be nice to see him weild a bow. Severa's axe would be due to an underwhelming lack of female axe weilders in general, that AREN'T  seasonal.

Ironically, later battles with them in Fates suggest their "canon" promotions are the opposites of those.

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

priam has any lines at all, unlike thracia's noble checks notes Robert

your move op

anyway i like the new banner and i have friends who are variously insanely happy but C Y N T H I A

14 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

Kjelle has a weird set, though. Her weapon wants her to be defensive but she has Bold Fighter...is this another attempt at a mixed phase unit, developers? Was Legendary Lyn not enough?

Armors are the best mixed-phase units in the game.

Might I remind you of Brave Hector, who has Quick Riposte 5, Distant Counter, and Sturdy Stance 2 on his weapon and A skill, but has Bold Fighter 3 as his B skill?

Or really how pretty much every armor can viably run Bold Fighter 3 with Quick Riposte 3 as a Sacred Seal?

14 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Bold Fighter isn’t that good, yo. Ranged armors like Jakob use it the best. Using melee armors on player phase is generally a bad idea. Special Fighter on the other hand is really good and less likely for a demote.

How often do you use melee armors with optimized skill sets?

Bold Fighter is far better than Special Fighter in general because Special Fighter is only usable on a small number of units or for specific niche builds. Bold Fighter is the staple B skill for player-phase and dual-phase armors, melee or ranged, unless they already have a weapon effect that gives them a guaranteed follow-up.

And melee armors are the armor meta right now because 8 of the 9 ranged armors are exclusive to limited banners.

3 hours ago, silverserpent said:

Raven's an axe unit whose art has him with a sword.

There's a fairly decent number of non-sword units that have swords in their art (and a decent number of sword units with a sword they aren't using in their art).

The most notable among them being Lachesis.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

Ironically, later battles with them in Fates suggest their "canon" promotions are the opposites of those.

I'm well aware of this irony. Doesn't change how I've played them in my run through. 😛

58 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's a fairly decent number of non-sword units that have swords in their art (and a decent number of sword units with a sword they aren't using in their art).

This is very true. Raven was the one mentioned, so I used him as an example. 

We really do need more lady axes, though, and Severa is a canon possibility. 

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

unlike thracia's noble checks notes Robert

He has the most important lines of all: Escape and Death Quotes!

Although Priam has a little NA infamy for causing some firestorms concerning Ike's sexuality or lack thereof working against him. Not so much in Japan I hear though.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Followed quickly by Yarne. Brady and Kjelle are just kinda there honestly.

Weird, I've generally heard nothing of Kjelle, other than recalling in Japan her having a drunken attraction to Severa's body I think. Nor of Brandy. Epic Yarne on the other hand I've seen more criticism for as really repetitive, maybe not so bad if you read only one support, but suffering on the heavier side from the "character reset at the start of each Support" fault of Awakening.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Well the Miracle Sword would be a kinda laughable inheritable I guess, even though Seliph got Miracle on a refine. Unless they, I dunno, made it negate all incoming damage through the unit's next action if their HP fell below ~20%

24 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

We really do need more lady axes, though, and Severa is a canon possibility. 

Charlotte, Rinkah, and Scarlet are all options. As is Echidna. And maybe they could spare Macha the fate of being yet another Sword Infantry by taking advantage of her promotion to Hero.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Integrity said:

priam has any lines at all, unlike thracia's noble checks notes Robert

your move op

Touche, but at least the SNES characters have a small chance of becoming more nuanced with a remake. Priam's game is too recent to be remade so he will remain what he is for a long time.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Armors are the best mixed-phase units in the game.

Might I remind you of Brave Hector, who has Quick Riposte 5, Distant Counter, and Sturdy Stance 2 on his weapon and A skill, but has Bold Fighter 3 as his B skill? Or really how pretty much every armor can viably run Bold Fighter 3 with Quick Riposte 3 as a Sacred Seal? How often do you use melee armors with optimized skill sets?

Mind the context of my post is for AR, where using melee armors in general is difficult. Let alone player-phase ones.

Combat performance is largely irrelevant in Arena unless the armor is a bonus unit. Armors are favored in arena not because they have access to powerful skills, but because of their high BST for scoring. In PvE most anything can work too.

In AR, armors supposedly get their value from having a strong defensive stat spread for tanking enemies. However this is largely offset by the existence of effective weapons. Taking 50% extra damage from common defense team units is not good. As if that weren't bad enough, many popular armor units have two weaknesses.

Their low movement is also a serious disadvantage in AR because of the 7-turn limit. If you use a slot on your support unit for armor march, that's one less slot C that can be used on a drive or ward instead.

I think armors are the weakest movement type in AR. There are a few strong ones like Caineghis, Fallen Tiki, Jakob, Winter Cecilia, and Winter Fae. However it's because those five have ways of getting around their weaknesses that the others do not.

Bold Fighter is far better than Special Fighter in general because Special Fighter is only usable on a small number of units or for specific niche builds. Bold Fighter is the staple B skill for player-phase and dual-phase armors, melee or ranged, unless they already have a weapon effect that gives them a guaranteed follow-up.

I disagree.

Special Fighter is better than either Bold or Vengeful Fighter because it gives its cooldown acceleration on both phases. The Guard effect is also incredibly useful against any enemy that doesn't have their special pre-charged, since you don't fear taking extra damage from them.

You don't actually need a high Speed stat to run Special Fighter. Caineghis, Cecilia, and Fallen Tiki are all excellent users of the skill and none of them are famous for their Speed. As you said, builds with Bold Fighter use Quick Riposte to ensure doubles on both phases. Special Fighter can easily run QR as well to ensure you double enemies, while also blocking their special access. A high Speed stat mainly helps against enemies that deny follow-ups, because you can use QR to force a speed check. Then you double if you have 5 more points than they do.

I prefer Bold Fighter on ranged armors since they're easier to position (relatively speaking) for kills as well as staying out of enemy range.

Again, this is mainly for AR. Vengeful is okay in the player's hands if you start with it, but Special Fighter + QR is has a better enemy phase due to Guard.

And melee armors are the armor meta right now because 8 of the 9 ranged armors are exclusive to limited banners.

I agree it's criminal that we only have one ranged armor that isn't in a limited banner. However player-phase melee armors are hardly meta in AR.

Edited by MrSmokestack

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Weird, I've generally heard nothing of Kjelle, other than recalling in Japan her having a drunken attraction to Severa's body I think. Nor of Brandy. Epic Yarne on the other hand I've seen more criticism for as really repetitive, maybe not so bad if you read only one support, but suffering on the heavier side from the "character reset at the start of each Support" fault of Awakening.

after playing through awakening again and reading all of his supports. Yarne is just a really big mixed bag for me cause he has some really good supports but then there are those supports that are just like really repetitive. Like you said he really does suffer from the whole "development resets after every support thing" But that's really only like half of his supports cause the other half is actually really good. Like I said he's a mixed bag. As for Kjelle she's okay. I mean she's has some depth but not a whole lot. I mean she's a bit of a jerk for like no reason and that's kinda not okay. I mean at the very least Severa apologizes for it a lot of the time and her abrasiveness has a lot of nuance to it. Kjelle is just kind of a straight up jerk because she thinks she's better than everyone and that's just kind of annoying. Brady is just okay don't really have much else to say there.

19 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I agree it's criminal that we only have one ranged armor that isn't in a limited banner.

XavierMaster Bow = 😁 on both phases.

Although given he comes with Wrath- guaranteed critical on the first (if multiple) counter hit of every round of combat initiated against this unit, I'd think Vengeful or Special Fighter in his base kit.

It'd mean Galzus would have to bring the Meisteraxt (complete with DC), which then frees the Flame Sword for Eyvel. I guess Glade can get the Meisterlanze (also with DC), since nobody really has a claim to it. Or we can just skip the Meisterlanze and bring in Dean of South Thracia and his Vantage + both phases Brave effect Dragonpike (no actual dragon effectiveness here).

7 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Oh right with Cynthia now in the game I can finally complete my justice Cabal team. Alright

That brought back some good memories. It's Owain, Cynthia, Gerome and Morgan right?

6 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me at Priam. How can you consider a character who only exists for ONE (1) paralogue to be anything but the ABSOLUTE bottom of all the barrels. At least the other paralogue characters had more of a role in the world, heck most NPCs had more of a role than frickin' Priam. It's like picking a secret side character like Karla, except even Karla did some things in the Elibe lore and had connections with other characters.

Sometimes all a character need is a few lines for me to like him. As for Priam, I like his design a lot. He has been my most wanted heroes since the beginning of FEH, along with Say'ri and Falvia (ok Flavia not so much but she is still among my favorites FE characters).

1 minute ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

That brought back some good memories. It's Owain, Cynthia, Gerome and Morgan right?

Yep though I still need to finish my gerome build

Edited by Ottservia

44 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

XavierMaster Bow = 😁 on both phases.

Although given he comes with Wrath- guaranteed critical on the first (if multiple) counter hit of every round of combat initiated against this unit, I'd think Vengeful or Special Fighter in his base kit.

It'd mean Galzus would have to bring the Meisteraxt (complete with DC), which then frees the Flame Sword for Eyvel. I guess Glade can get the Meisterlanze (also with DC), since nobody really has a claim to it. Or we can just skip the Meisterlanze and bring in Dean of South Thracia and his Vantage + both phases Brave effect Dragonpike (no actual dragon effectiveness here).

I'd totally be down for Xavier since he is one of the few canon bow armors in the series. Likewise with Horace

25 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

In AR, armors supposedly get their value from having a strong defensive stat spread for tanking enemies. However this is largely offset by the existence of effective weapons. Taking 50% extra damage from common defense team units is not good. As if that weren't bad enough, many popular armor units have two weaknesses.

The only armor-effective weapons I commonly see in Aether Raids are Armorsmasher and Dawn Suzu. Dawn Suzu is typically a non-issue because Micaiah is a dancer and will tend to stay in the back. Armorsmasher can typically be handled on player phase with AI manipulation and is still less common.

Dragon-effective weapons are slightly more common, but Cloud Maiougi is the only one that is threatening if your tank is already built as a Res tank (as it should be) because Falchions are not common at the top.

31 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Their low movement is also a serious disadvantage in AR because of the 7-turn limit. If you use a slot on your support unit for armor march, that's one less slot C that can be used on a drive or ward instead.

That's why the optimal setup is to have your tank run Armor March themselves, not waste the C slot of a support unit to run Armor March. There are very few C skills that include a self-buff, and Armor March is the only one worth running on your tank because you can outsource all of the other ones to support units' weapon, Assist, or B slots since they are all field buffs.

42 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I think armors are the weakest movement type in AR. There are a few strong ones like Caineghis, Fallen Tiki, Jakob, Winter Cecilia, and Winter Fae. However it's because those five have ways of getting around their weaknesses that the others do not.

Your support armor just needs to be able to clean up after you're done tanking. Dealing with weaknesses is only necessary on your tank, and pretty much any blue armor can take care of the common effective-damage builds on a player-phase build. Sky Maiougi and Cloud Maiougi builds are typically purely player-phase builds and won't run Close Counter, and Armorsmasher can be dealt with with simple weapon triangle advantage (or another unit on the team).

53 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I disagree.

Special Fighter is better than either Bold or Vengeful Fighter because it gives its cooldown acceleration on both phases. The Guard effect is also incredibly useful against any enemy that doesn't have their special pre-charged, since you don't fear taking extra damage from them.

Most Specials are only threatening because they are pre-charged, and Special Fighter does nothing against them. Very few units have Specials that are a threat if they aren't already charged because the better tanks are simply bulky enough to take the hit.

Special acceleration on player phase is pointless if you don't have a method of performing a follow-up attack, and on enemy phase, Quick Riposte is inferior to Vengeful Fighter because Quick Riposte has a noticeably worse HP threshold and takes up the valuable Sacred Seal slot that could otherwise be used for a better tanking skill like Distant Def.

On your tank, Special Fighter is inferior to Vengeful Fighter. On your support, Special Fighter is inferior to Bold Fighter (unless your unit is blisteringly fast or is Brave Ephraim or Myrrh).

17 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yep though I still need to finish my gerome build

Sounds coincidentally fairly good in gameplay. At least one of each color not Colorless, and depending on your pick of Morgan, you could do either: Flier-ish Emblem through Female Morgan with Owain as insurance against Bows; or a Tactics Team with Male Morgan.

This reminds me that I really should finish my original dream team setup of Vike-Micaiah-Soren-Sothe. It sounds feasible, but FEH continues to spam Sleep Staffs on me, I can't for the love of FE seem to muster all that much effort into this game. Nothing bitterly against it.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Oooh. I am torn between Yarne and Brady, but I love Kjelle so much---she is criminally underrated! Her confessing she has a crush on Severa in the DLC is an Awakening highlight. Nah is great, but I always gravitated to some of the other kids more. TBH, I kinda forget Nowi can be a mom lol... 

WILL try and get someone with tickets, completing as much of the circle as possible. If not, then oh well---time to save up for summer!