Serenes Forest Emblem Boss User Recruitment

Von Ithipathachai

I believe we should have those original FE stories become books written by someone's great-great grandfather. I volunteer to be that someone. Because it kinda ties in to my own childhood, my great-great grandfather wrote books for his family to enjoy, since my character is a self insert, it would hit close to home to me, and it would make it easier to write. I just need to base the grandfather on my own. 

I'm really bad at typing more than a short sentence..let me know if you're confused Von.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Josh, Nightingale of Sacae said:

I believe we should have those original FE stories become books written by someone's great-great grandfather. I volunteer to be that someone. Because it kinda ties in to my own childhood, my great-great grandfather wrote books for his family to enjoy, since my character is a self insert, it would hit close to home to me, and it would make it easier to write. I just need to base the grandfather on my own. 

I'm really bad at typing more than a short sentence..let me know if you're confused Von.

Well, the proof of concept demo explicitly states that Fire Emblem is a game series every inhabitant of Serenia likes, implying that they still have video game technology despite living in a medieval fantasy world.  I couldn't really figure out a better way to connect everyone as Fire Emblem fans.

Let's see what everyone else has to say.

I'm personally more fond of the way its handled in the demo. The more literal and goofy everything is, the better, I say.

14 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Jaemson would be the Tactician of Anon's army, whose strategies fluctuate between "sound" and "brilliantly insane with an excessive amount of casualties." He would mostly work in the background, manipulating both people and scenarios to suit not only the needs of the army as a whole, but his own needs as well. Anon's plan to irrevocably corrupt Serenia, he views as destructive madness. He eagerly awaits the day he betrays him and takes the Ban Hammer for himself, forging a new Serenia in his own image.

Jaemson is generally polite and amiable with allies, as he knows that making friends in high places is a reliable way to gain personal power. Even besides that, he is not a cruel man; simply ambitious and self-justified. He does, however, have a single pet peeve: incorrect grammar.

I approve of this plan. You're betrayal shall bring about your demise.

Basically Repeating What I Said On My Discord

Yeah, I think the idea from the PoC would be better for the game. It has more potential to have better jokes and subtle callbacks to the FE games. As the writer, this would give me more creative freedom. 

So all in all, I'm leaning towards the idea from the PoC. 

NOTE: I wasn't able to play the PoC, due to me being on mobile, so I wasn't aware of Von's idea.

Edited by Josh, Nightingale of Sacae

15 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Well, the proof of concept demo explicitly states that Fire Emblem is a game series every inhabitant of Serenia likes, implying that they still have video game technology despite living in a medieval fantasy world.  I couldn't really figure out a better way to connect everyone as Fire Emblem fans.

Let's see what everyone else has to say.

i believe it depends if you guys want to "break the 4th wall" or not.

because in the first case, we could eventually play around with the script and go far beyond simple mentions of things related to FE. for example, units could even be self aware of gameplay mechanics and talk about them in supports.

in the 2nd case, we could follow the concept of Josh and have all FE titles become ancient books/tales of old known by many people due to their connection with the world of Serenia. there would be no 4th wall break that way, but it would fit better into the game's lore.

as for my unit, i've got some more infos to add:

Route 1 map(example):

14459.png

notes: the secret signature weapon i mentioned before would be hidden in a spot near the oasis in case of a desert map, or near the sea in case of a beach map.

Field music:

Spoiler

Fenreir's Myrmidon/Hero battle theme:

Spoiler

Route 2 map(example):

14447.png

Field music:

Spoiler

Fenreir's Sword Armor/General battle theme:

Spoiler

Reposting what I said on the Discord...

As for the "Video Game" thing, since the plot is less serious, I think we can get away with having "Video Games" in a "Medieval Fantasy Setting." // I mean, Runescape has modern cooking appliances and it somehow works with the setting.

If we want to tie the video games and myths idea together, we can say the stories of the games were based off the original myths.

Edited by Sire

Name: Rasputin (figuring Roger is would be too similar to an existing character and Mad Manakete is generic, I've decided to go with a name based off "the Mad Monk".

Class: Paladin/Manakete (Ideally one battle each, but if we can only fit one, I'll go Manakete)

Weapon Type: Axes (we can do axe paladins right?)/Dragon stone

Main Weapon: Devil Axe (or silver axe if we can't do devil axes)/Magestone

Items to drop and/or steal(in order of preference): Devil/Silver Axe (as paladin), Speedwings (as manakete)

Backstory:  A bit unhinged, this mad-man(akete) has become a living parody of elements of the Fire Emblem series, whether it be Camuses, plot irrelevant manaketes, asset reuse, carrying stat-boosters instead of using them, etc.

Gameplay: Basically the idea is I'm introduced as a mid-game Paladin boss/sub-boss (you can do named enemies with better stats right?), and come back late-game as a Manakete boss for no reason to make a ridiculous joke about asset reuse (in this case my portrait). Initially I deny being the same guy again in my boss conversation... but just admit to it in my death quote. In my Paladin phase, I'm just a parody of the Camus archetype, except instead of being loyal to the cause, I'm loyal to the idea that the games should have a Camus archetype, leading to my boss conversation essentially being me refusing to be recruited for the reason that the game needs a Camus or it's not a real Fire Emblem.

I'll leave the actual skills/stats up to discretion of what fits the game. I'm also kind of guessing here because I don't know the SRPG studio limitations... so I'm kind of hoping this is possible. As said, if the Paladin phase can be a sub-boss in someone else's chapter, that suits me. Mostly because I don't want to take up two for the gag. If it can't, I'll see what I can come up with.

31 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Name: Rasputin (figuring Roger is would be too similar to an existing character and Mad Manakete is generic, I've decided to go with a name based off "the Mad Monk".

Class: Paladin/Manakete (Ideally one battle each, but if we can only fit one, I'll go Manakete)

Weapon Type: Axes (we can do axe paladins right?)/Dragon stone

Main Weapon: Devil Axe (or silver axe if we can't do devil axes)/Magestone

Items to drop and/or steal(in order of preference): Devil/Silver Axe (as paladin), Speedwings (as manakete)

Backstory:  A bit unhinged, this mad-man(akete) has become a living parody of elements of the Fire Emblem series, whether it be Camuses, plot irrelevant manaketes, asset reuse, carrying stat-boosters instead of using them, etc.

Gameplay: Basically the idea is I'm introduced as a mid-game Paladin boss/sub-boss (you can do named enemies with better stats right?), and come back late-game as a Manakete boss for no reason to make a ridiculous joke about asset reuse (in this case my portrait). Initially I deny being the same guy again in my boss conversation... but just admit to it in my death quote. In my Paladin phase, I'm just a parody of the Camus archetype, except instead of being loyal to the cause, I'm loyal to the idea that the games should have a Camus archetype, leading to my boss conversation essentially being me refusing to be recruited for the reason that the game needs a Camus or it's not a real Fire Emblem.

I'll leave the actual skills/stats up to discretion of what fits the game. I'm also kind of guessing here because I don't know the SRPG studio limitations... so I'm kind of hoping this is possible. As said, if the Paladin phase can be a sub-boss in someone else's chapter, that suits me. Mostly because I don't want to take up two for the gag. If it can't, I'll see what I can come up with.

Great Knights are the closest thing this game has to Axe Paladins.  They're practically the same thing, though.

You could also be a Manakete, but if so, you'd have to be able to move since they're 1-Range-locked.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

You had better have a pretty incredible beard if you want to use that holy name (or have a legion of singing bugs following you around preferably singing rasputin)

16 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Great Knights are the closest thing this game has to Axe Paladins.  They're practically the same thing, though.

You could also be a Manakete, but if so, you'd have to be able to move since they're 1-Range-locked.

Eh. Let's go with the moving Manakete route, and just have me appear once. Seeing as we won't have two appearances, I'll just have to go straight down the "Camus that is loyal to the concept of there being the archetype" parody. Thinking about it, maybe put pavise or miracle (if miracle's a thing) on me to represent my stupid luck at avoiding dying from being impaled.

15 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:
16 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

You had better have a pretty incredible beard if you want to use that holy name (or have a legion of singing bugs following you around preferably singing rasputin)

Well, my beard is getting there... but what I do definitely have, and have had since birth, is the legendary wild eyes. Surprisingly useful in a rough spot. Now watch as no one ever talks to me again because I look as unhinged as the old name suggests.

Spoiler

9F7DSGD.jpg

Edited by The Roger The Paladin

OwO

That beard tho! Why can't I have that? I only have a five o'clock shadow...a shitty one at that. 

One day...I'll have a beard as big as yours....

Not sure I've been here long enough  to warrant being a part of this project (but I guess an early boss makes sense then), but I'll give it a go:

Portrait:

1587366158_EvenorJPEG.jpg.c2a1166a835f10f801d939d61e2b49d3.jpg

Something like this (ideally with a cape/cloak tacked on)

Name: Evenor van Evergild

Class: Myrmidon (maybe sword armour?)

Equipment: Shining Edge, and maybe a killing edge

Other Items (stealable): Deity Icon (or seraph robe)

Skills: Miracle, Vantage

Unit stats: decent luck and hp

Character backstory: A commander in the army of the nefarious surely righteous Anon.  Prefers talk to battle, and will try to convince an enemy to join him before committing to battle.  Wishes to topple what he sees as the tyranny of Eclipse and the almighty ban hammer.  Wishes he could ride a Pegasus, but can't.  

Army:A few knights and a healer nearby for defense; sends pegasus knights to attack you.  A mix of archers, cavaliers, myrmidons, and mages throughout the chapter

Can be recruited? no, Evenor has made his choice

Map type: some sort of castle to defend (interior or exterior)

Battle Quote (Generic): Wait, you fight for Eclipse?  Have you ever thought about what that really means?  Do you really believe he deserves such power?  The world is a tragedy to those that feel, but a comedy to those that think.  I wonder which one you are.  Indeed, there is no need for this to end in violence.  We could talk this out.  No?  More's the pity then.  I suppose you have forced my hand by coming this far, and I've no lack of faith in our ultimate victory.  Rally to me men, protect your commander!

Battle Quote (vs Eclipse): So the tyrant shows himself.  I realize that there is no negotiating with you, who has so much on his hands already.  Tell me, was it all worth it?  Do you have faith that you follow the right path?  I have no doubts about my path.  My conviction is my strength.  All I need is one lucky shot.  With a single blow, I can put an end to your tyranny and secure victory for Anon.  If I fall, my comrades will avenge me.  Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever.  Have at you then, SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!

Defeat Quote: I... I can still fight... urgh... To the last, I grapple with thee... ack..*cough*cough* No, I can't die... having... failed.  Anon... avenge me...

8 hours ago, DystopianAlphaOmega said:

Not sure I've been here long enough  to warrant being a part of this project (but I guess an early boss makes sense then), but I'll give it a go:

Portrait:

1587366158_EvenorJPEG.jpg.c2a1166a835f10f801d939d61e2b49d3.jpg

Something like this (ideally with a cape/cloak tacked on)

Name: Evenor van Evergild

Class: Myrmidon (maybe sword armour?)

Equipment: Shining Edge, and maybe a killing edge

Other Items (stealable): Deity Icon (or seraph robe)

Skills: Miracle, Vantage

Unit stats: decent luck and hp

Character backstory: A commander in the army of the nefarious surely righteous Anon.  Prefers talk to battle, and will try to convince an enemy to join him before committing to battle.  Wishes to topple what he sees as the tyranny of Eclipse and the almighty ban hammer.  Wishes he could ride a Pegasus, but can't.  

Army:A few knights and a healer nearby for defense; sends pegasus knights to attack you.  A mix of archers, cavaliers, myrmidons, and mages throughout the chapter

Can be recruited? no, Evenor has made his choice

Map type: some sort of castle to defend (interior or exterior)

Battle Quote (Generic): Wait, you fight for Eclipse?  Have you ever thought about what that really means?  Do you really believe he deserves such power?  The world is a tragedy to those that feel, but a comedy to those that think.  I wonder which one you are.  Indeed, there is no need for this to end in violence.  We could talk this out.  No?  More's the pity then.  I suppose you have forced my hand by coming this far, and I've no lack of faith in our ultimate victory.  Rally to me men, protect your commander!

Battle Quote (vs Eclipse): So the tyrant shows himself.  I realize that there is no negotiating with you, who has so much on his hands already.  Tell me, was it all worth it?  Do you have faith that you follow the right path?  I have no doubts about my path.  My conviction is my strength.  All I need is one lucky shot.  With a single blow, I can put an end to your tyranny and secure victory for Anon.  If I fall, my comrades will avenge me.  Glory may be fleeting, but obscurity is forever.  Have at you then, SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS!

Defeat Quote: I... I can still fight... urgh... To the last, I grapple with thee... ack..*cough*cough* No, I can't die... having... failed.  Anon... avenge me...

Well, first of all, one of our planned playable characters (Fiver) already has an Innes edit as his portrait.  I would try something else, especially with more armor.

Second, Eclipse is a woman.

That reminds me: I should probably write out some battle dialogue with Eclipse, being a major villain and all. I'm not sure how her having a conversation with me would work, though.

11 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Well, first of all, one of our planned playable characters (Fiver) already has an Innes edit as his portrait.  I would try something else, especially with more armor.

Second, Eclipse is a woman.

Well... that teaches me to play the demo before going and putting my foot in my mouth.  My bad.  Got a bit over-excited when I discovered this thread and went straight to making a character without actually playing the game.  

How does this look for a portrait template?

1241834775_JPEGEvenor2.jpg.1eae7ec710a0974b9d3429847c5258b5.jpg

32 minutes ago, DystopianAlphaOmega said:

Well... that teaches me to play the demo before going and putting my foot in my mouth.  My bad.  Got a bit over-excited when I discovered this thread and went straight to making a character without actually playing the game.  

How does this look for a portrait template?

1241834775_JPEGEvenor2.jpg.1eae7ec710a0974b9d3429847c5258b5.jpg

Well, Fiver's not actually in the proof of concept demo, but he is slated to appear in the finished game with an Innes palette swap for a portrait.

This new portrait looks better, but it's artifacted to hell and won't be usable as-is.  In addition, it needs to be within 16 colors (including a transparent background color) and fit in a 96 x 80 rectangle with minimal cropping of the shoulders.  Could you try doing it again as a PNG file and not a JPEG file?

On 6/20/2019 at 6:13 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Well, my beard is getting there... but what I do definitely have, and have had since birth, is the legendary wild eyes. Surprisingly useful in a rough spot. Now watch as no one ever talks to me again because I look as unhinged as the old name suggests.

I personally think "The Roger" is a fine name for the character, but Rasputin is fine and fitting too, as long as the chapter theme is a Boney M song.

21 hours ago, DystopianAlphaOmega said:

Deity Icon

*Mangs Icon

Really liking all these boss submissions, gotta say. Y'all are really putting forth a good showing.

12 hours ago, KnightOfNohr said:

That reminds me: I should probably write out some battle dialogue with Eclipse, being a major villain and all. I'm not sure how her having a conversation with me would work, though.

In my case I imagine the dialogue would entirely be based around my notion the game needs a Camus and Eclipse (or anyone else who might have a conversation with me for that matter) stating how warped my logic is... to absolutely no avail as "I'm a Camus. I don't care about your "logic"." Which was meant to be a template kind of line to work with... but I think I like it enough for it to be in the game.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:
On 6/20/2019 at 8:13 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

I personally think "The Roger" is a fine name for the character, but Rasputin is fine and fitting too, as long as the chapter theme is a Boney M song.

I think I'd enjoy that too much. Inevitably, even if that's not possible, I'm going to have to play that song while doing the chapter.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:57 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

How about, "The Rasputin"?

"The Rasputin" sounds like a good compromise. Seeing as my character's kind of a parody as is, can we call the chapter "Far from the Forest", and consequently have a lack of forest tiles therein to help with the reference? Though, of course I mostly just want to see the name used for a chapter, so if anyone else wants it really bad, it's theirs. Just thought the forum joke might fit better with the lunatic who thinks he can be a Camus while failing to actually have any of the qualities a Camus is supposed to have apart from refusing to be recruited for a reason that is illogical on closer examination.

Bumping this thread for visibility. I believe Serenes Emblem still needs more Boss characters, especially unpromoted ones. Last I checked, SE has 35 playable characters but only 13 bosses. This will be spread across maybe 20-25 chapters.

On that note, how much longer will user recruitment stay open? 

I think it can stay open until we get 40 playable characters.

More unpromoted boss applications would be appreciated.  I'd also like to ask you guys to resist submitting a complicated backstory with your boss character.  It would be easier if we had more one-off bosses whose storylines we don't have to constantly keep track of.