Serenes Forest Emblem Boss User Recruitment

Von Ithipathachai

13 minutes ago, Sire said:

Bumping this thread for visibility. I believe Serenes Emblem still needs more Boss characters, especially unpromoted ones. Last I checked, SE hasΒ 35 playable characters but only 13 bosses. This will be spread across maybe 20-25 chapters.

unless someone wishes to return later in otherΒ chapters(and even then, it shouldn't be abused more than 2-3 times at maximum) in order to stretch the story, that's about 14~15 chapters considering only the bosses.

if numbers won't change in the next weeks(and it's been a while since i've seen any daily update on the matter), i suppose they could just make half bosses promoted and half not(also depends if they can be recruited).

last time i checked, there was plenty of playable units, but close to no recruitable enemies except for very few characters(mineΒ included).

i hate to be that guy, but it wouldn't be a FE inspired game if everyone started on the good side.Β they could eventually shift playable units to the enemy side for recruitment, and come up with more chapters by doing so.

23 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I think it can stay open until we get 40 playable characters.

More unpromoted boss applications would be appreciated.Β  I'd also like to ask you guys to resist submitting a complicated backstory with your boss character.Β  It would be easier if we had more one-off bosses whose storylines we don't have to constantly keep track of.

well, it's not like we absolutely need to have 40 playable units, unless you really want to fitΒ all available classes/promotions into the game. after all, it's a fan project based on a forum board, and from what i've seen there's reclass options too.

as for the backstories, it would probably be better to keep workingΒ with what you guys have at the moment in order to complete the main story first.Β if there will be new applications, you could always add them in the most recentΒ version of the game later on, like gaiden chapters.

I'll shift over to the enemy side then.

I'll be a leader of a band of rouges and thieves, at the start of the game, probably two or three chapters after @PengaiusΒ has been recruited.

Recuited by: Eclipse, Pengaius (I plan to have the Butter Bandits and my band of thieves tie into each other)

(Sorry for the white, randomly popped up)

22 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Make Dimitri a boss

"Kill them all!"
"That's hate speech, ban him."

I think we should let people submit elaborate backstories if they want to. No sense saying they can't make a suggestion. That being said, the development team should keep in mind that they are able to deviate from those submissions if they want. Changing things about bosses to suit the needs of the project would be fine, though I would say that such changes should be run by the user in question.

I don't mind the elaborate backstories (I myself went so far to make a mockup chapter that my character shows up in). Personally, I rather encourage them as they bring new ideas to the table. They may not be used, but it can be useful for inspiration at least. The issue comes in when a user has expectations for their character and disagreements occur. Hopefully this does not happen here.

Then, from a developer's point of view, the more complex stuff is,Β the harder it is to tie everything together. While its entirely possible that every character can have their own arcs and be heavily involved in the main storyline, that much work really isn't feasible for a fan project. Also, I don't think the script has been worked on yet since recruitment is still ongoing. Some ideas have been tossed around, but nothing is truly confirmed as far as I know.

Going again off the sheets, but keeping in account some updated info...

Looking at the Google Doc, we have 33Β playable characters. [I miscounted the 35 as I forgot to exclude the header.]
Then there are currently 14Β bosses, 3Β of which that are recruited. (Fenreir,Β Espurrhoodie, & Joshii)
-- Some boss characters want repeat battles (Ruben x2, KK x3, & Rasputin x2) so if we include those, that's "18Β Boss Encounters."
--- Arguably that's "18 chapters" worth of content, but only if its just one boss a chapter.

If I were to make a rough chapter layout based off of the bosses, here's what it would look like. (This is only a model and is in no way indicative of the final product. I am just a participant, not a dev.)

Early Game
1.Β Cysx (Myrmidon)
2. KK (Thief)Β [FIRST ENCOUNTER]
3. Joshii (Thief)Β [RECRUITABLEΒ - Requires eclipse or Pengaius]

Mid-Game
HagenΒ (Landsknecht) [Early Promoted Boss]
5. Ruben (Druid) [FIRST ENCOUNTER]
6. KK (Merry Man)Β [SECONDΒ ENCOUNTER]
7. Rasputin (Paladin)Β [FIRST ENCOUNTER]
8. Espurr (Druid) [RECRUITABLE - Requires Nym]
9.Β Armchair (Berserker)

Late-Game
Monkey (General)
11. Fenreir (Hero) [RECRUITABLE]
12. Ruben (Druid) [FINAL ENCOUNTER]
13. KK (Merry Man)Β [FINAL ENCOUNTER]
14. Corrobin (Sage) ["The Wannabe Sage Knight"]
15. Rasputin (Manakete)Β [FINAL ENCOUNTER]

End-Game
16. Ribbon (Bishop) [Duo Boss, Intro Chapter]
17. Horns (Great Knight) [Duo Boss, Revenge Chapter]
18. Jaemson (Druid) [Recurring Enemy Tactician? // Fought only once.]

Not every chapter needs a boss, you can always have monsters make up filler chapters or not have a boss in some fog of war maps (it'd kinda suck for somebody to just get totally skipped over because they couldn't be seen. Not every boss need be fought immediately. If, for instance there's some kind of prison map and have, for example Jaemson as the warden, with endgame level stats, the map could be a break in where the boss is the timer and you have to free the prisoners and seize point, hypothetically of course.Β 

The issue isn't necessarily getting more bosses (although more is better) but knowing when and where we can afford to place or not place the bosses we currently have.Β 

1 hour ago, Pengaius said:

Not every chapter needs a boss, you can always have monsters make up filler chapters or not have a boss in some fog of war maps (it'd kinda suck for somebody to just get totally skipped over because they couldn't be seen. Not every boss need be fought immediately. If, for instance there's some kind of prison map and have, for example Jaemson as the warden, with endgame level stats, the map could be a break in where the boss is the timer and you have to free the prisoners and seize point, hypothetically of course.Β 

The issue isn't necessarily getting more bosses (although more is better) but knowing when and where we can afford to place or not place the bosses we currently have.Β 

we could also have escape chapters like in Thracia 776, where the objective is to survive/reach a goal rather than killing bosses and/or seize thrones/castles. wich leads me to the following example:

AnonymousSpeed (Anon?) amasses a giant army and uses it to take over her home of Mod Castle while she is away fighting bandits (unruly shitposters). Their ultimate goal is to kill her, take the Ban Hammer from her, and destroy it, engulfing Serenia in eternal chaos.

this could very well be a starting prologue chapter similar to the one in Shadow Dragon, where you don't have to fight bosses but rather run awayΒ from the enemy army before getting killed.

same goes for other characters that could have been captured/kidnapped in other lands of Serenia, and needs to be rescued.

there's tons of ideas that could be used, theyΒ just requireΒ some thinking in order to make everything blend together well.

Sire also hasΒ a good concept about how units can be overall distributed in the chapters.

5 hours ago, Sire said:

Espurrο»Ώ (Druidο»Ώ) [RECRUITABLE - Requires Nymο»Ώ]ο»Ώο»Ώ

I feel like Nym can be used to get her during the chapter itself, and after the chapter ends she just joins regardless.

A major gag about her is that she signed up for the wrong side on accident.

here is a boss to expand the lore around Therians

Chymera

Therian

the elder sister of Nym she believes that the humans have brainwashed and enslaved her brother then vows to save him from the humans.

she is spared after the battle.

Β 

lvl:13

2 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Chymera

Therian

the elder sister of Nym she believes that the humans have brainwashed and enslaved her brother then vows to save him from the humans.

Β 

I would rather there be as few "made-up" characters as possible, since the majority of this game's characters are going to be based on real users.

9 minutes ago, AzuraxCorrin(M)4Life said:

Chymera

Therian

Β 

I think we should see what @Nym thinks first.

Eh, why not throw my hat into the ring?

Name: Hawkwing

Class:Β Thief and/or Monk (and/or their promoted variants, if needbe. I also don't mind being a shapeshifter and/or a knight).

Profile Description:Β A serious, if eccentric, [Insert Class] that's kinda just there (or everywhere).

Portrait:

SomeoneΒ made this for meΒ several months ago duringΒ a rom hack project that sadly didn't get off the ground:

hawk_11.png

There was a better version of the portrait that had the shoulders less spaced out (they were moved to be under the cape), as well as some other refinements, but unfortunately I don't have access to it. Feel free to make any edits that you deem necessary.

If you're creating one from scratch, then here's a reference:

rUiqarHt1tq8AuBb1hzgabopiC2vTKH9s9krd8PtkIgb_1uhZ9Twl-K_AMbc03nYn-DKSDilV_WfqY0jPJ6oZRO2ih2GhyqNTz8Zv0RjG1aAHy3hGg8seYHP-u0V2lF7C78ceVHz

Yeah, I know the colors are different, but I'm not too picky about that. All I request is that blue is the primary color for the clothing. While I'd prefer for white, purple, or red to be the secondary colors, I'm less concerned about that.

Β 

Some NotesΒ (this is just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. I'm personally fine with some of these never seeing the light of day)

- I don't mind being a reoccurring boss, an optional boss, anΒ optional reoccurring boss,Β a one-off boss, or an optional one-off boss.

- If personal equipment will be a thing, I'd like for my swords to be called "Lightsabers" (and I would have two in my inventory, withΒ a joke that I would be dual wielding them if the game mechanics allowed it) and any magic I wield to be calledΒ "The Force". Aside from that, feel free to pick out my equipment.

- I'm also not picky about skills, so feel free to choose those (as long as it's not out of character or anything like that).

- If I'm going to be a reoccurring boss, I could alternate between being a thief and a monk (as well as their promoted variants if necessary). I also don't mind being a knight and/or a shapeshifter for the heck of it to spice things up. If I'm just going to be a one note boss, then I'd prefer to be either a thief or a monk.

- If optional, I don't mind functioning as a thief with the strength of a boss. Or being a sideline healer that's stronger than they appear. If you have any other ideas, feel free to use them.

- If defeated as a reoccurring optional boss, it could be cool if I gained a few scars and maybe even an eyepatch the next time I appear.

- I'm not picky about being recruitable or not, although it seems like the cast is large enough as it is.

I've skimmed through the previous topic, and I think I could have some boss conversations with a solid amount of the cast. I would like to have a hand in writing my dialogue, and I don't mind communicating through Discord and/or PM's. Only snags might be that I'm currently in the process of getting a new job and I've beenΒ auditing an 8 hour long class for two months now (as well as doing a night class on Tuesdays and Thursdays), so there are only a few times of theΒ day where I will be able to be online. I also don't know how wacky or down-to-earth the game is, but I think once I get the hang of it, I'll know what kind of jokes I'll be able to suggest.

6 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

Eh, why not throw my hat into the ring?

Name: Hawkwing

Class:Β Thief and/or Monk (and/or their promoted variants, if needbe. I also don't mind being a shapeshifter and/or a knight).

Profile Description:Β A serious, if eccentric, [Insert Class] that's kinda just there (or everywhere).

Portrait:

SomeoneΒ made this for meΒ several months ago duringΒ a rom hack project that sadly didn't get off the ground:

hawk_11.png

There was a better version of the portrait that had the shoulders less spaced out (they were moved to be under the cape), as well as some other refinements, but unfortunately I don't have access to it. Feel free to make any edits that you deem necessary.

If you're creating one from scratch, then here's a reference:

rUiqarHt1tq8AuBb1hzgabopiC2vTKH9s9krd8PtkIgb_1uhZ9Twl-K_AMbc03nYn-DKSDilV_WfqY0jPJ6oZRO2ih2GhyqNTz8Zv0RjG1aAHy3hGg8seYHP-u0V2lF7C78ceVHz

Yeah, I know the colors are different, but I'm not too picky about that. All I request is that blue is the primary color for the clothing. While I'd prefer for white, purple, or red to be the secondary colors, I'm less concerned about that.

Β 

Some NotesΒ (this is just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks. I'm personally fine with some of these never seeing the light of day)

- I don't mind being a reoccurring boss, an optional boss, anΒ optional reoccurring boss,Β a one-off boss, or an optional one-off boss.

- If personal equipment will be a thing, I'd like for my swords to be called "Lightsabers" (and I would have two in my inventory, withΒ a joke that I would be dual wielding them if the game mechanics allowed it) and any magic I wield to be calledΒ "The Force". Aside from that, feel free to pick out my equipment.

- I'm also not picky about skills, so feel free to choose those (as long as it's not out of character or anything like that).

- If I'm going to be a reoccurring boss, I could alternate between being a thief and a monk (as well as their promoted variants if necessary). I also don't mind being a knight and/or a shapeshifter for the heck of it to spice things up. If I'm just going to be a one note boss, then I'd prefer to be either a thief or a monk.

- If optional, I don't mind functioning as a thief with the strength of a boss. Or being a sideline healer that's stronger than they appear. If you have any other ideas, feel free to use them.

- If defeated as a reoccurring optional boss, it could be cool if I gained a few scars and maybe even an eyepatch the next time I appear.

- I'm not picky about being recruitable or not, although it seems like the cast is large enough as it is.

I've skimmed through the previous topic, and I think I could have some boss conversations with a solid amount of the cast. I would like to have a hand in writing my dialogue, and I don't mind communicating through Discord and/or PM's. Only snags might be that I'm currently in the process of getting a new job and I've beenΒ auditing an 8 hour long class for two months now (as well as doing a night class on Tuesdays and Thursdays), so there are only a few times of theΒ day where I will be able to be online. I also don't know how wacky or down-to-earth the game is, but I think once I get the hang of it, I'll know what kind of jokes I'll be able to suggest.

Thanks for providing a portrait!

I'll probably either make you a Thief with a Shining Dagger (the closest thing you'll be able to have to a lightsaber) or a Therian.Β  I find the idea of a cat-person having a bird name amusing.

21 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

Thanks for providing a portrait!

You're welcome! Again, there's a better version of the portrait that I don't have access to, so feel free to make any adjustments and refinements as you see fit.

21 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'll probably either make you a Thief with a Shining Dagger (the closest thing you'll be able to have to a lightsaber) or a Therian.Β  I find the idea of a cat-person having a bird name amusing.

Fine by me. I like shapeshifters, so I don't mind being a Therian.

I know that the writing phrase will probably come later, but my Discord tag is in both my signature and in my profile. PM's also work.

Edited by Hawkwing

36 minutes ago, KKAfterbrun said:

Just a quick question.

If there isn't enough bosses, would I be able to submit a second boss?

I'd prefer not, but if you can ask any friends here if they'd be willing to volunteer, that would be nice.

If we still can't get enough boss users, we could have bots in the story as expies of the Risen and have generic Bot Chiefs occupy the empty boss spaces.

Hey, it has occurred to me that several people have been making sprites. Should I start working on one? (Being a fairly major character and all)

1 minute ago, KnightOfNohr said:

Hey, it has occurred to me that several people have been making sprites. Should I start working on one? (Being a fairly major character and all)

I was actually about to ask the same question myself.