Elden Ring: A New FromSoftware Game from Hidetaka Miyazaki and George R.R. Martin

BZL8

FromSoftware and Hidetaka Miyazaki, the developer and director behind games like the Dark Souls series, Bloodborne, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and publisher Bandai Namco Entertainment, brings Elden Ring, a brand-new action RPG with a special collaboration from George R.R. Martin, the writer of A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series. The trailer is CGI-only, but it shows what we can expect from From's newest game. 

Elden Ring, developed by FromSoftware, Inc. and Bandai Namco Entertainment Inc., is a fantasy action-RPG adventure set within a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki—creator of the influential Dark Souls video game series; and George R.R. Martin—author of The New York Times best-selling fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire. Danger and discovery lurk around every corner in FromSoftware’s largest game to-date.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, President and Game Director of FromSoftware Inc. known for directing critically-acclaimed games in beloved franchises including Armored Core, Dark Souls, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

George R.R. Martin is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of many novels, including the acclaimed series A Song of Ice and Fire – A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast For Crows, and A Dance with Dragons. As a writer-producer, he has worked on The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast, and various feature films and pilots that were never made.

Any Soulsborne fans and/or Sekiro fans looking forward towards this game? Any GOT or ASOIF fans jumping in?

Edited by BZL8
Updated with official video from FromSoftware (6/9/2019)

it's hard to get excited about CG, but sure

Miyazaki did apparently have a fairly minor (at least in terms of writing) role in Sekiro and only wrote the pot noble characters so it could be the case that he had his attention on this game instead.

from other rumours the only things we've heard is that it is a) somewhat based on norse mythology, which seems evident, and b) open world in some way

I'm a big GoT fan, but I won't touch anything from FromSoft.

Difficult for the sake of being difficult is a turn off. I don't play games to stress. Real life already has plenty of stress.

Now, if GRRM would like to collaborate with a strategy game or a turn-based story RPG, then I'll buy it.

13 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Difficult for the sake of being difficult is a turn off. I don't play games to stress. Real life already has plenty of stress.

Now, if GRRM would like to collaborate with a strategy game or a turn-based story RPG, then I'll buy it.

I feel the post made by @Slumber over in the Sekiro thread very much applies here.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/06/09/hidetaka-miyazaki-and-george-rr-martin-present-elden-ring/

There's some basic information here from an interview with Miyazaki.

And as I mentioned:

Wilkinson: What are some differences when compared to your previous titles (especially Dark Souls)?

Miyazaki: If I were to put aside the world full of fresh stimulus thanks to our collaboration with Mr. Martin, I would have to say the biggest difference is it being open world.

Due to this, the scale of the world and its narrative, as well as the depth and freedom of exploration have increased dramatically. It is without a doubt our biggest title yet in terms of sheer volume.

There are many definitions to the term “open world,” and I might not be phrasing it correctly, but we have simply tried our own approach to a game with a large, open field to play in.

It is a world full of danger and threats, as well as many areas ripe for exploration.

Among those areas, you will also find intricately designed, multi-layered castles and such.

Edited by Tryhard

2 hours ago, Tryhard said:

it's hard to get excited about CG, but sure

This, pretty much.

I'm excited because From games are usually good and GRRM is excellent with providing a good fantasy world (and characters/mythos) for the audience. It's probably going to be a good game, but whether it'll be mediocre like DS2 or a very welcome fresh experience such as Bloodborne, I can't know.

I thought they'd have an early alpha gameplay footage, at least, since the development started after DS3's DLC, parallel to Sekiro.

By the way, found this tweet useful for summing up the interview:

Edited by Rapier

Uhm...release date please? Is "2020" an unviable target? Oh well, we've gotten teases of FromSoft games in the past that give us even less information. Those character designs rock. Glad Miyazaki is being careful with the term "open world" because that often sounds like the antithesis of carefully considered level design that one might expect from these sorts of games. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Looks like George R R Martin really doesn't want to write those last two ASOIAF books, if he's getting into doing the writing for other projects (such as this).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I'm basically always excited for whatever is coming next from From...God, that's weird to say. Still need to pick up Sekiro, though.

4 hours ago, Etheus said:

This sounds like you haven't ever tried a SoulsBorne game. They are difficult, yes, but definitely not "difficult for the sake of being difficult."

Try before you judge.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

I'm basically always excited for whatever is coming next from From...God, that's weird to say. Still need to pick up Sekiro, though.

This sounds like you haven't ever tried a SoulsBorne game. They are difficult, yes, but definitely not "difficult for the sake of being difficult."

Try before you judge.

I've tried Bloodborne. I hated it.

I do admit that it took me 2/3rds of the way through Dark Souls 1, about after O&S for the first time to actually start enjoying it. I was fairly aggravated by the way the game had played up unto that point and had a particularly frustrating segment where I got stuck in the painting world after looking up how to get there for ages because I couldn't find the way out. And this was after I grinded enough to be somewhat competent with black iron armour, a katana and pyromancy with the edgiest main character I've ever played.

I could have very much given up and never played another From game again at some point, but I did eventually start acclimating to the game and finished with a much better opinion of the game despite DS1 having less quality in the latter half.

Really, the games give enough ways that players can eventually win. You can grind (in most of the games), there is usually cheap tactics for almost any situation, there is usually co-op. Even on my first run I felt far more stressed playing fighting games than any From game. The difficulty is and has been a marketing slogan most of the time. There are some difficult bosses no doubt, but the game is not insurmountable if the person has some competence with action games. I go back and play old PC RPGs or old (S)NES games and they are easily more difficult. DarkSydePhil, who is known for being terrible at games, has finished all From games at least once, and mostly multiple times. It just takes some perseverance.

The exclusion I'd say for that is Sekiro, that dropped RPG elements for more complex combat instead of roll spam. Because you can't just grind for things to make the game easier (much) and there's no co-op, I'd say it's probably more difficult in general.

Edited by Tryhard

On 6/10/2019 at 7:35 AM, Etheus said:

I've tried Bloodborne. I hated it.

Bloodborne is hard compared to the other Souls games (except Sekiro) because there's no parry. Parrying is a very effective way to deal with most mobs you encounter, save bosses. You don't have to worry much about dodging, just raise your shield, block, then hit back after the enemy's combo ends. That's why I recommend either Dark Souls 1 or 3 to begin.

21 hours ago, Rapier said:

Bloodborne is hard compared to the other Souls games (except Sekiro) because there's no parry. Parrying is a very effective way to deal with most mobs you encounter, save bosses. You don't have to worry much about dodging, just raise your shield, block, then hit back after the enemy's combo ends. That's why I recommend either Dark Souls 1 or 3 to begin.

to be fair, people should start with Demon's Souls, since that was the foundation of all the following Souls games( although the true origin of all that was King's Field, wich i would not reccomend except for curiosity ).

Bloodborne is more of a spin-off that borrowed some elements form Dark Souls, as much as Sekiro did from Tenchu.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, Fenreir said:

to be fair, people should start with Demon's Souls, since that was the foundation of all the following Souls games( although the true origin of all that was King's Field, wich i would not reccomend except for curiosity ).

Bloodborne is more of a spin-off that borrowed some elements form Dark Souls, as much as Sekiro did from Tenchu.

It's exactly because Demon Souls is the foundation of the series that I suggest people not to start with it. It has many frustrating features and unpolished gameplay aspects that Dark Souls addresses. For example, the game punishes you hard for failure, and after you die you're forced to stay with half your HP until you regain your body, which punishes for failure even further. It's also very grindy for items, and doesn't have Dark Souls' instant replenishment of vials.

Dark Souls 3 feels like a more polished DS1, although the latter is a more unique experience. I recommend either as a starting point.

Bloodborne is also a good one, but its game design is very brash at telling you to stop being so insecure, stay close to enemies and be more aggressive. At least Dark Souls allows you to defend from most attacks with a shield - Bloodborne doesn't.