Do you do Feather mercenary work during Voting Gauntlets? What other stuff do you do during Voting Gauntlets?

XRay

Feather Mercenary During Voting Gauntlets  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you join teams often based on Feather gains rather than on your character preferences?

2. 2. For those that base their joining decisions on Feather gains, when you are working as a mercenary, do you base your decision solely on Feather gain or do you also factor in character preferences?

• I base my decision on solely Feather gains.
    • I base my decision on both Feather gains and character preferences.
    • I rarely or never do Feather mercenary work.
  3. 3. For those that base their joining decisions on Feather gains, which side do you join?

• Join small teams for high rank Feathers.
    • Join large teams for victory Feathers.
    • Depends.
  4. 4. For those that base their joining decisions on Feather gains, do you do mercenary work for all three rounds or only some rounds?

• I do mercenary work for all three rounds.
    • I do mercenary work ideally for the first two rounds before switching to whoever I like best.
    • I do mercenary work for one round.
    • I do mercenary work after my favorite or favorites have lost their round.

I am curious on how players on Serenes Forest participate in Voting Gauntlets.

I frequently do mercenary work, and when I do mercenary work, I base my joining decision solely on Feather gains where I join the smallest team. Ideally, I do mercenary work for the first two rounds and I support whoever I like best for the final round.

For other stuff regarding Voting Gauntlets, I prefer to support female characters and waifus during the last round. If resources permit, I typically use a level 1 copy of the Hero so I can curb stomp enemies with a 5*+10 unit from my friends list. I also generally do not spend any Flags until the night of the first day when the round has around 24 hours or less left. I also set my lead unit to the color I have trouble obtaining the most, so if I have a hard time getting colorless allies, I set BH!Lyn as my lead.

Edited by XRay

11 minutes ago, eclipse said:

The poll assumes that we're feather mercenaries.  In which case, it isn't much of one to begin with.

Yeah, I originally planned to put everything into the poll, but it got unwieldy and long so I decided to make the poll only deal with Feather mercenary stuff and just describe the rest of what I do in the comments.

4 minutes ago, eclipse said:

In which case your topic title should reflect that.  Not everyone here does it solely for the feathers.

Okay, I will change the title.

@eclipse I changed the title so it reflects the poll more. If the title is not enough, feel free to change it.

Edited by XRay

I'm pretty much a feather merc now.  If one of my tops is in it, I'll join them, but being the underdog definitely affects my choice.  Since being on the larger team is no guarantee of victory, I'd rather just go with the team that gives me a better chance of getting a high score.

4th question should have the inverse of the second response, which is that you support your favorites, but if they're gone, you just pick whoever gets the feathers.

For the most part I don't really care about VG and just try to do whatever is the least amount of work, regardless of how rewarding it is. It's only a few more feathers for ideal flag usage, after all. I generally prefer an underdog team if only because I'll have more flexibility with when I can use my flags to get a decent reward.

i am not a pathetic coward loser, i always join my favorite even if i know it's a lost cause

in one of the first ever vgs, i joined eirika and immediately saw a losing screen; this screen did not change from losing for the entire vg round. i never once doubted my cause.

if you don't vg on principle you don't deserve to be in this community, straight up.

Edited by Integrity

The fact that y'all can't even decide whether it's better to join a big winning team or a dominate a small losing team really underlines the pointlessness of the exercise. Support your faves.

I could not care less how any random people would respond to how I play what is a non-competitive, non-cooperative mode. But seeing how toxic people can be toward people joining a specific characters team? I feel like feather mercenary is inadvertently the moral high ground. Not that I need it to be in order to sleep at night.

15 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I could not care less how any random people would respond to how I play what is a non-competitive, non-cooperative mode. But seeing how toxic people can be toward people joining a specific characters team? I feel like feather mercenary is inadvertently the moral high ground. Not that I need it to be in order to sleep at night.

While it's not all that hard to believe but I haven't seen people doing that around here unless it's the CYL.

21 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

While it's not all that hard to believe but I haven't seen people doing that around here unless it's the CYL.

I wasn't talking specifically about here. That this shit happens at all is what I may be inclined to think of when somebody proclaims "character loyalty" above all else. It's a mobile game. Not something worth hacking people over. And even if it was JUST death threats I'd say it's a bit much.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Johann said:

4th question should have the inverse of the second response, which is that you support your favorites, but if they're gone, you just pick whoever gets the feathers.

I have not thought of that. I will add that option.

I don't care about anything other than the feathers/orbs/sacred coins which I can use to upgrade my actual favourite characters. Characters win based upon whoever gets the last multiplier and exist on banners only to try and bait orbs from people who are saving for characters that they actually want (no thanks, I will not suddenly like any of these 8 characters just because they suddenly appeared on an event). Thankfully, lots of these banners are skips, the mode itself is an autobattle,  characters don't even get any dialogue which just makes it even more disappointing as the whole point of Heroes is supposed to be to see the characters interact but apparently not, I'm also not interested in seasonal units (a lot of which are repeats of existing characters) and having a bonus unit is not very beneficial at all.  

Edited by darketernity

i always support the characters i like the most

i find no reason in supporting a character i don't like or don't like enough

I generally support characters that I like, though I think that vgs are way too demanding personally to just merc and not give a crap who the winner is, only need to do 5 battles for maximum rewards, so I don't mind, the feathers I get really don't do anything for my bottom line.

It's not quite so straightforward as the poll options indicate. Broadly speaking I am 100% mercenary, but which team I go with is decided jointly with my sister (who is more casual of a player than I am). She is also a mercenary mind you, but the choice in which of the four likely underdogs we pick isn't always obvious. For example, in round 1 of the VG just passed, I was thinking Bartre, but she proposed Ethlyn. Since I assumed both were underdogs, I agreed to go with her pick without hesitation.

The thing about voting for your favourites tends to not apply because over the entire game lineup, I can only say maybe half-a-dozen characters are my favourites, and there are maybe a couple dozen I dislike. More likely than not, all eight contenders in any given VG will just be units in that amorphous blob in between that I neither particularly like nor dislike.

Actually, it makes me wonder about people who seem to have favourites every VG, because it feels like they have single character in the game ranked in order and pick a team based on the fact that it has their 51st favourite character pitted against their's 55th favourite character or whatever.

7 hours ago, Parrhesia said:

The fact that y'all can't even decide whether it's better to join a big winning team or a dominate a small losing team really underlines the pointlessness of the exercise. Support your faves.

If you want to be lazy and just dump your Flags immediately, you can join the biggest team and they usually win. For those who wish to put more effort and time their Flags for a higher score, it makes more sense to rank higher in a smaller teams since ranking higher usually provides more Feathers.

6 hours ago, darketernity said:

having a bonus unit is not very beneficial at all. 

Having a bonus helps with ranking higher. It is not necessary, but it could mean the difference between ranking to the next reward tier versus staying put if you are on the edge.

1 hour ago, thecrimsonflash said:

though I think that vgs are way too demanding personally to just merc and not give a crap who the winner is

In terms of effort, it is a lot easier being a mercenary in my opinion since you have more access to multipliers. Or if you are the lazy mercenary kind, then you can just join the biggest team to get victory Feathers for little to no effort.

45 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

It's not quite so straightforward as the poll options indicate. Broadly speaking I am 100% mercenary, but which team I go with is decided jointly with my sister (who is more casual of a player than I am). She is also a mercenary mind you, but the choice in which of the four likely underdogs we pick isn't always obvious. For example, in round 1 of the VG just passed, I was thinking Bartre, but she proposed Ethlyn. Since I assumed both were underdogs, I agreed to go with her pick without hesitation.

I set my alarm to 1am in the morning to view the official score tracker to see which matchup is the most lopsided after the first hour of battle. It takes the guesswork out of it, although not everyone can afford to wake up at midnight without impacting their sleep.

45 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Actually, it makes me wonder about people who seem to have favourites every VG, because it feels like they have single character in the game ranked in order and pick a team based on the fact that it has their 51st favourite character pitted against their's 55th favourite character or whatever.

I like most female characters, so I almost always have a waifu to support during the third round after doing two rounds of mercenary work.

There are sometimes 2 dudes during the final round, so I support whoever I am more familiar with or I support whoever can give me the most Feathers if I do not care for either.

Edited by XRay

6 minutes ago, XRay said:

In terms of effort, it is a lot easier being a mercenary . . . I set my alarm to 1am in the morning

are you sure about that, my man

Just now, Parrhesia said:

are you sure about that, my man

The lazy mercenaries can just dump their Flags whenever and go for the victory Feathers by joining the biggest team.

Mercenaries who want to squeeze out more Feathers need to put in some extra work, but it is not that much more work compared to what it used to be like. Waking up at midnight is not too difficult once you are used to it, or if you are used to staying up late.

Y'all taking about supporting faves and being feather mercs, I feel out of place here...

>I generally don't have strong attachments to 90% of Voting Gauntlet participants, and the ones I usually support are just the ones who I like the most out of a group I'm generally meh about.
>Even when I do do a Gauntlet, something usually happens at gauntlets end that winds up with me having well over 1,500 flags left unspent. This last gauntlet I was watching a movie at a theater during the last hours of round 3 (couldn't sneak my phone out to get in some battles without being a dick to everyone else in the theater), and heck I didn't even pick a side for round 2 for a whole day.
>Even if all I want is feathers, I'm usually not able to achieve very high scores so I wind up only getting like 500 per round, maybe 1000 if I spent a lot of flags in a round.

At this point I'm pretty much just in gauntlets to get the rewards from the first 5 battles of each round and to lend allies the support of my support unit, but since I'm not friends with anyone here (pretty sure I'm not at least) I'm not even sure my units are getting used...

Edited by Xenomata

Neither mercenaries not supporters have the right idea. Efficient flag usage works no matter the size of your team, and the results are meaningless and forgotten after a week.

VG starts at 5pm for me, so I play two matches in the evening, one next morning, one in the evening and one in the morning just before the end. I drop flags in the last two matches.

Edited by Baldrick