How To Train Your Dragon trilogy

Dragoncat

I watched The Hidden World yesterday and I think it was a lovely ending to a overall well done trilogy. Apparently the author of the original books, Cressida Cowell, named Hiccup and Astrid's kids Zephyr(girl) and Nuffink(boy). Omg I squeed. I love it when things show a canon romance develop and then show the resulting kids.

I've loved dragons since Spyro, so of course I had to watch the first movie when it came out. Loved it. Some of the "dragons" don't really look much like dragons imo but that's not a big deal.

Ruffnut and Tuffnut reminded me of a couple Fire Emblem OCs I've had for awhile: twin wyvern riders, one male and one female. As time went on they started to show some differences. Most obvious one is riding one two headed dragon instead of two separate ones. And now I'm seeing that my Cerai is a bit smarter than Ruffnut, but I can see her annoying her way out of a prisoner status too. Difference is she wouldn't lead the villain right to where he could strike, she's smarter than that.

Villains/antagonists seem to be less memorable than the heroes' side. I remember the Red Death and Drago in name alone basically. Grimmel is probably gonna be the same way. Most memorable thing with him even now is how he died. That had to be planned. Hiccup lost a leg and got a metal replacement in the first movie, and in the last movie he detaches it to make Grimmel fall to his death. Nice.

Stoick's death was touching, even if I forgot who killed him/how. I want to say Drago but not sure. Valka is badass momma.

EDIT - I was reminded what killed Stoick.

Edited by Dragoncat

I'd say, I also like these movies. I've seen also part of the TV series. Though I can't say I remember much of it at the moment, heh.

36 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Stoick's death was touching, even if I forgot who killed him/how. I want to say Drago but not sure. Valka is badass momma.

Woah, you don't remember? Personally, I would find it a detail hard to forget, considering...

Spoiler

It was Toothless himself. While mind controlled by Drago's Bewilderbeast. He ordered him to attack Hiccup, but Stoick pushed him out of the way and got hit instead.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Woah, you don't remember? Personally, I would find it a detail hard to forget, considering...

Yeah, I did forget! Wow...

Honestly I can't easily say why I liked this the most out of Dreamwork's material that isn't Prince of Egypt or El Dorado. It's like, there's a world that's kind of filled in from what we've seen from the movies alone, characters who I actually got more invested in than I expected and how despite its willingness to actually take consequence (Just look at how the first one ended) doesn't let go of it's own charming goofiness. But I'm not so sure I hit the nail on the head here.

I will say however, while Grimmel's not exceptional as a villain (how could he match Disney's best is a worthwhile question) he was way above the other two, mainly because he had more of a chance to have a presence in the story.

(Also, 2 spoilers, even if someone addressed this)

Spoiler

Also, Stoick was killed by Toothless after being controlled by Drago. I remember that because frankly I disliked how 2 handled the ending quite a lot honestly, it's (along with Drago as a whole really) the reason the second title's the worst of the three imo.

Edited by Dayni

8 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I will say however, while Grimmel's not exceptional as a villain (how could he match Disney's best is a worthwhile question) he was way above the other two, mainly because he had more of a chance to have a presence in the story.

Hmm, yeah. He appeared much more than the other two.

Just now, Dragoncat said:

Hmm, yeah. He appeared much more than the other two.

I also might have preferred his role as well, but that's my bias towards the Alpha as a concept in this series.