Favorite non-Disney animated movies?

Anacybele

So, when we think animated movies, we often think Disney. But what about the ones that AREN'T Disney? There are plenty of good ones out there that weren't made by them too. This can also include CGI films. And we can also mention movies from companies that are now owned by Disney, but were made before Disney owned said companies, such as Anastasia. (I've seen Anastasia, btw, but I don't really remember it much, so I can't consider it a fav)

I've got a list of favs!

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (Dreamworks)
Sing (Illumination Entertainment)
The Secret Life of Pets (Illumination Entertainment)
The Swan Princess (Crest Animation Productions/Nest Family Entertainment)
Thumbelina (Warner Bros.)
The Road to El Dorado (Dreamworks)
The Land Before Time series (Universal Pictures)
A Troll in Central Park (Warner Bros.)
Balto (Universal Pictures)
The Secret of NIMH
The Secret of NIMH 2: Timmy to the Rescue
(both have several production studios)
Madagascar series (Dreamworks)
Ice Age series (Blue Sky)

Sinbad is probably my all time favorite non-Disney animated movie followed by Balto and The Swan Princess. I was surprised to find that the latter became a huge series almost the same size as The Land Before Time. I should see more of those flims since I only saw the first two. The second was alright, I liked it okay. Derek's mother, Queen Uberta, is never not hilarious, I swear. XD Balto is based on a true and amazing story about a dog/wolf hybrid that brought life-saving medicine to ill children.

Sinbad is so underrated though imo. I thought the film was brilliant and entertaining and Sinbad himself was hilarious. 😛 It's also not every day we get to see a badass female character like Marina!

Edited by Anacybele

Balto was good! All Dogs Go To Heaven was a good one too and I bet everyone cried.

Dreamworks ones I enjoyed in order from most to least favorite: How To Train Your Dragon, Ice Age, Shrek, Madagascar.

I kinda forgot about All Dogs Go to Heaven. Those were good. I liked the second one more than the first in this case. Funniest thing about these movies though, is that Charlie Barkin is voiced by Charlie Sheen, so Charlie Sheen has played two characters who share his name (including his Charlie character in Two and a Half Men). XD

Have you seen Sinbad, Dcat? If not, I highly recommend it, it's GREAT.

Edited by Anacybele

Easily Into the Spiderverse, the animation in that movie was absolutely fantastic, as was the rest of the movie.

Unrelated, I hate to be "That Guy" but Ice Age was done by Blue Sky, not DreamWorks.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Unrelated, I hate to be "That Guy" but Ice Age was done by Blue Sky, not DreamWorks.

Oh, so it is. I'm not sure why I thought it was a Dreamworks series all this time then. o_O

Just now, DancingDanny said:

Swan Princess

Finally someone else that saw this one! I've never met another person that even heard of it, which makes me wonder how it was able to become the big series that it is.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Oh yeah it is! DERP!

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, so it is. I'm not sure why I thought it was a Dreamworks series all this time then. o_O

I've seen this mistake made multiple times and I'm trying to figure out the cause of it, maybe it's because the humor in it is kind of DreamWorks-ish? Sorry if I accidentally sounded snobbish.

Some others I forgot to mention that I liked are Your Name, Spirited Away, Prince of Egypt, Shrek 2, HTTYD trilogy, Lego Movie, Coraline, Kubo and the Two Strings, and The Fantastic Mr Fox.

I've read the manga for A Silent Voice (in fact, I practically binged the series) but I haven't seen the movie yet.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

I've seen this mistake made multiple times and I'm trying to figure out the cause of it, maybe it's because the humor in it is kind of DreamWorks-ish? Sorry if I accidentally sounded snobbish.

Nah, it's okay. There have been other cases of similar mistakes too that I've heard of. Like I've seen Anastasia commonly get mistaken as a Disney film when it was never made by them, despite them technically owning it now.

I forgot two more on my list that I'm not sure HOW I forgot (maybe because they're recent?).

Edited by Anacybele

15 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Easily Into the Spiderverse, the animation in that movie was absolutely fantastic, as was the rest of the movie.

This. Pretty much every frame is good enough to be a poster. It is the best animated movie out there.

I also have to give special shoutout to Kung Fu Panda. That movie came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with how good it is. Even now, it still holds up. The second movie was pretty good too. Haven't seen the third.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This. Pretty much every frame is good enough to be a poster. It is the best animated movie out there.

Apparently that was the intention!

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I also have to give special shoutout to Kung Fu Panda. That movie came out of nowhere and surprised everyone with how good it is. Even now, it still holds up. The second movie was pretty good too. Haven't seen the third.

Holy crap I forgot about Kung Fu Panda! That one is also pretty good!

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nah, it's okay. There have been other cases of similar mistakes too that I've heard of. Like I've seen Anastasia commonly get mistaken as a Disney film when it was never made by them, despite them technically owning it now.

I think my Tae Kwon Do instructor made the same mistake.

Now that I think about it, I haven't really watched many animated films recently not made by Disney. Not that I think that other studios make bad movies, it's just hard to remember most of the non-Disney movies I've watched because I haven't seen them in so long. The other problem is that theirs a lot Disney "adjacent" animated films out their that might confuse the conversation, for instance Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was made by Sony, but the title character/brand is co-owned by Disney, or how most Studio Ghibli movies are distributed in the west by Disney. So let's call Spider-Verse and The Secret World of Arrietty(the only Ghibli movie I've seen, I'll get to the others soon I promise dont' "@" me) honorable mentions for now.

One of the greatest hidden gems in animated films has to be The Iron Giant, I watched it endlessly when I was a kid and revisiting it when I was older was so much fun because it holds up fantastically, I probably like it more now than I ever did before. Dreamworks is probably the closest competitor to Disney in most respects and I'd say The Road to El Dorado is my favorite work from them right now, not just because it's really entertaining, but it's also has some surprisingly historically accuracy stuff going on and I'm a big history buff so of course it gets bonus points. Laika is a Studio I discovered recently through Kubo and the Two Strings and it was a stunning spectacle to say the least thanks to the unique take on stop motion animation, if the rest of their catalog is even half as good as Kubo I'll be looking forward to watching it. Illumination is a studio that's gained quite a bit of infamy thanks to the over exposure of the Minions movie(which is garbage), but looking back it makes sense that the original Despicable Me took off the way it did since it's actually still really good in my opinion, it a really fun and heart warming story about a man finding greater fulfillment in something he was not expecting to I think is something that really resonated with a lot of people. One last film I feel is worth mentioning is Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie and trust me when I say this is not the same kind of crappy video game adaptation you're used to, it's got one of the best collections of animated fight scenes in a single film featuring all the best characters from the game(some more than others), if you love the Street Fighter series you owe it to yourself to give this one a shot.

Absolute Favourites (as in, these are truly great films):

Shrek & Shrek 2 

How to Train Your Dragon

Kung-Fu Panda 1 and 2: 1 is the better film, while 2 has the more interesting villain

Ice Age: 1 was fantastic, 2 was good, the rest never happened.

Madagascar: 1 was great, and the other 2 were good.

…Does the Star Wars: Clone Wars 2D micro-series count as a movie? It's about the length of one. 

Decent Films I Really Enjoyed:

Despicable Me: the first one was good. The other two... not so much.

Megamind: very underrated.

Angel Wars

Flushed Away: this one I mainly like because it's a real laugh. "Any last requests?" "Yes. Can you please fly off the boat quite suddenly while screaming like a girl?" "What? (does exactly that)"

Your Name is easily my favourite. The animation is gorgeous, the dub is really good, the story holds up nicely, the characters are great and the soundtrack, oh lord, the soundtrack!

Other favourites are: Rise of the Guardians, Batman: Under the Red Hood, and How to Train Your Dragon.

Also, some of the Pokemon films: Mewtwo Strikes Back, Mewtwo Returns, Power of One, Spell of Unown, Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, Ranger and the Temple of the Sea, and Rise of Darkrai.

36 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Flushed Away: this one I mainly like because it's a real laugh. "Any last requests?" "Yes. Can you please fly off the boat quite suddenly while screaming like a girl?" "What? (does exactly that)"

I FORGOT ABOUT FLUSHED AWAY! THAT MOVIE WAS AMAZING! SAME THING WITH WALLACE AND GROMMIT!

I mean, I'm just going to take this to mention Cartoon Saloon. Because I think I have to mention Song of the Sea. Watch it if nothing else from them, it's all I ask (When I have to give fair dues to a children's show that they worked on, I think that should be a sign)

I'm not going to get into discussing anything else here, just look at this for me and you'll get why.

song-of-the-sea-3.jpg

(Boring future movie stuff here)

Spoiler

(Unfortunately both their upcoming movies have streaming companies on them: Apple got the rights for Wolfwalkers and Netflix an adaptation of My Father's Dragon (Which I knew nothing about until today). Whether this means no cinematic release is my concern, I will be going for certain if I can get that at least, though Wolfwalkers at least seems set to come out next year in cinema. But if you're used to how things happen in Ireland, we have to wait months because they actually bother to make an Irish dub and that holds the release here back. This may change with the present situation, but I have no clue right now.)

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

This one is Disney, dude. The thread is about non-Disney animation.

damn, completely forgot about it

i'm not really into movies, so i generally don't remember things like that one

Edited by Yexin

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Toy Story

Toy Story is Disney, dude. It's by Pixar and Pixar is Disney.

People, this thread is about NON-DISNEY.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Toy Story is Disney, dude. It's by Pixar and Pixar is Disney.

People, this thread is about NON-DISNEY.

Disney only aquired Pixar in 2006. While Pixar and Disney entered a collaborative partnership in 1991, Pixar was still its own entity who made the movies on their own (Disney mostly handled merchandise and distribution and supplied the resources; but never working on the movie itself), so Toy Story certainly counts.

---

Anyway, let's see... non Disney movies. Well, I certianly have a few.

Most of Studio Ghibli's repertoire, Your Name, Mobile Suit Gundam - Char's Counterattack, Proffesor Layton and the Eternal Diva, most of the Pokémon movies, the Balto trilogy, most if not all of Pixar's pre-Disney, The Legend Of movie series, A Movie about Eggs and its sequel (haven't seen the second sequel), the first The Land Before Time and some of its sequels, the How to Train your Dragon trilogy, most of the Ice Age movies, the first two Shrek movies, the Madagascar movies, All Dogs go to Heaven, Titan A.E., The Brave Little Toaster and its sequels, An American Tail and its sequels, etc.

I certainly like lots of movies, heh. There's probably more; but I think I was mentioning a whole lot already...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

51 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

It's by Pixar

Yes, and it was made before Disney bought them, which you said was fine in your opening post.

Edited by NinjaMonkey